Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Graphics Technology Forums » AMD Radeon Discussion and Support
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

AMD Radeon Discussion and Support General discussion, tweaking, overclocking and technical support questions about discrete Radeon graphics products.

Old Nov 10, 2021, 12:06 PM   #361
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
pax
Rage3D Spammer

pax once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'pax once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'pax once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'pax once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'pax once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'pax once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

Quote:
Originally Posted by bill dennison View Post
I don't think a 5 or 6 slot air cooler will do 500+ watts

the highest end cards are going to take a full waterblock or a 3 fan AIO cooler with a thick rad like a Alphacool NexXxoS Monsta

https://www.aquatuning.us/water-cool...360mm-radiator

or maybe a 420mm
https://www.aquatuning.us/water-cool...420mm-radiator

my 560mm
https://www.aquatuning.us/water-cool...560mm-radiator

cooled two gtx 980's and the cpu fine for two weeks without fans when i forgot to plug them back in once
Hmm the price on that 560mm isnt as bad as I thought it would be. Huge and think it should be able to handle a lot.

Piledriver Rig 2016: Gigabyte G1 gaming 990fx. FX 8350 cpu. XFX RX 480 GTR Cats 21.6.1, SoundBlaster ZXR, 2 x 8 gig ddr3 1866 Kingston. 1 x 2tb Firecuda seagate with 8 gig mlc SSHD. Sharp 60" 4k 60 hz tv. Win 10 home.

Ryzen Rig 2017: Gigabyte X370 K7 F50d bios. Ryzen 1700x. 2 x 8 ddr4 3600 (@3200) Gskill. Sapphire Vega 64 Reference Cooler Cats 21.6.1. Soundblaster X Ae5, 32" Dell S3220DGF 1440p Freesync Premium Pro monitor, Kingston A2000 1TB NVME. 4 TB HGST NAS HD. Win 10 pro.

Ignore List: Keystone, Andino... -My Baron, he wishes to inform you that vendetta, as he puts it in the ancient tongue, the art of kanlee is still alive... He does not wish to meet or speak with you...-
"Either half my colleagues are enormously stupid, or else the science of darwinism is fully compatible with conventional religious beliefs and equally compatible with atheism." -Stephen Jay Gould, Rock of Ages.
"The Intelligibility of the Universe itself needs explanation. It is not the gaps of understanding of the world that points to God but rather the very comprehensibility of scientific and other forms of understanding that requires an explanation." -Richard Swinburne

www.realitysandwich.com

www.makepovertyhistory.org
pax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 10, 2021, 12:56 PM   #362
Nunz
RIP Roxen

Nunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand suns

Quote:
Originally Posted by pax View Post
Ice Giant is pretty much one of the best coolers for threadripper tho and has a high watts cooling capacity. I think the copper version will do a lot better on smaller packages.

I mean if the all aluminium model can handle 500w easy the copper one might be able to go a bit further.

https://www.icegiantcooling.com/blog
The only reason it's one of the best for TRX is because most coolers do not have mounting for it..

The cooler gets outclassed by most 360mm AIOs on the market and in terms of performance/noise, it's completely outclassed .. not even remotely competitive.
"If you can't handle me when I'm bulking, you don't deserve me when I'm cut." -- Marilyn Monbroe
Nunz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 10, 2021, 03:29 PM   #363
bill dennison
Radeon Arctic Islands

bill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppers

bill dennison is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Nov 10, 2021, 05:00 PM   #364
Nunz
RIP Roxen

Nunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand suns

Lol, I agree. You should check out Optimus, bill. Made in USA out of Chicago. Best performing blocks on the market right now.. beats the Foundation beats the Heatkiller IV by 2-3c, and their GPU blocks are miles ahead of anyone else on the market. Pricey, but top performance.

www.optimuspc.com
"If you can't handle me when I'm bulking, you don't deserve me when I'm cut." -- Marilyn Monbroe
Old Nov 10, 2021, 07:11 PM   #365
bill dennison
Radeon Arctic Islands

bill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nunz View Post
Lol, I agree. You should check out Optimus, bill. Made in USA out of Chicago. Best performing blocks on the market right now.. beats the Foundation beats the Heatkiller IV by 2-3c, and their GPU blocks are miles ahead of anyone else on the market. Pricey, but top performance.

www.optimuspc.com
thank
they look good

but acrylic tops on video cards at 3090 prices
and what no AMD cards ?

not since i lost two ati 4870's in cfx due to acrylic tops cracking around their bolts
600 bucks out the window

it's acetal or full copper only for me on blocks

and the full copper Heatkiller IV pro is a deadly weapon if you throw it at someone
Old Nov 10, 2021, 08:43 PM   #366
Nunz
RIP Roxen

Quote:
Originally Posted by bill dennison View Post
thank
they look good

but acrylic tops on video cards at 3090 prices
and what no AMD cards ?

not since i lost two ati 4870's in cfx due to acrylic tops cracking around their bolts
600 bucks out the window
They're pretty small - still a new start-up company. They've been pummeled by COVID which really slowed them down. They haven't said much about making blocks for AMD GPUs, but let's be honest .. there's way more customers looking for NV blocks, so kind of have to prioritize the larger market as a small company.

The acrylic they use is not the cheapo stuff you see from Alphacool and other companies. Apparently this acrylic is extremely heavy-duty. I'm also a fan of Acetal tops (and I also prefer a blacked-out design rather than RGB-puke-bling or seeing the fluid in the block) but hopefully down the road we see more options.

They just moved to a new Cerakote finish rather than anodized Nickel - apparently it's better for heat transfer and removes the chance of nickel flaking.

Quote:
it's acetal or full copper only for me on blocks

and the full copper Heatkiller IV pro is a deadly weapon if you throw it at someone
yeah, the Heatkiller IV Pro is a monster! I love mine .. runs phenomenal on my 10900K mounted direct-die. They said they have plans for a new model (Heatkiller V) for 2022 .. hoping we see that as well. I'll need a new block for the Intel X299 successor
Old Nov 10, 2021, 09:43 PM   #367
bill dennison
Radeon Arctic Islands

Quote:
They're pretty small - still a new start-up company. They've been pummeled by COVID which really slowed them down. They haven't said much about making blocks for AMD GPUs, but let's be honest .. there's way more customers looking for NV blocks, so kind of have to prioritize the larger market as a small company.

The acrylic they use is not the cheapo stuff you see from Alphacool and other companies. Apparently this acrylic is extremely heavy-duty. I'm also a fan of Acetal tops (and I also prefer a blacked-out design rather than RGB-puke-bling or seeing the fluid in the block) but hopefully down the road we see more options.

They just moved to a new Cerakote finish rather than anodized Nickel - apparently it's better for heat transfer and removes the chance of nickel flaking.

yeah, the Heatkiller IV Pro is a monster! I love mine .. runs phenomenal on my 10900K mounted direct-die. They said they have plans for a new model (Heatkiller V) for 2022 .. hoping we see that as well. I'll need a new block for the Intel X299 successor
well i marked them and may well give them a try if they make a block for RDNA 3 that is first this time with me

and may well skip lovelace along with ampere depends on prices
not going to drop 4k on two cards that i can only use one at a time
having both is not that big of deal without SLI/CFX

i do like they are made here
my AM4 block is a all copper EK and it has been fine
and my 2080 ti Strix just doesn't need it it's fine on air

but i do think RDNA 3 will need water .
Old Nov 10, 2021, 10:01 PM   #368
Nunz
RIP Roxen

Everything needs water

I didn't build this custom loop for nothing!!!
Old Nov 10, 2021, 10:45 PM   #369
bill dennison
Radeon Arctic Islands

Quote:
Everything needs water

I didn't build this custom loop for nothing!!!
i got 5k+ in water crap around here only using about a third of it

my case has a pump header and reservoir combo for 6 D5 pumps that i made make out 9 feet 1 1/4 inch id copper hevey wall pipe i had left over from a A/c job
all touching the case aluminum and tranfering heat to the case
was how i realized my fans were off the case was warm to the touch

all i care about is i can't hear it at all
Old Nov 10, 2021, 11:45 PM   #370
bill dennison
Radeon Arctic Islands

Old Nov 11, 2021, 01:04 AM   #371
pax
Rage3D Spammer

pax once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'pax once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'pax once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'pax once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'pax once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'pax once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

5k in water cooling damn you guys are hardcore.

I hope those msrp's stick...

Piledriver Rig 2016: Gigabyte G1 gaming 990fx. FX 8350 cpu. XFX RX 480 GTR Cats 21.6.1, SoundBlaster ZXR, 2 x 8 gig ddr3 1866 Kingston. 1 x 2tb Firecuda seagate with 8 gig mlc SSHD. Sharp 60" 4k 60 hz tv. Win 10 home.

Ryzen Rig 2017: Gigabyte X370 K7 F50d bios. Ryzen 1700x. 2 x 8 ddr4 3600 (@3200) Gskill. Sapphire Vega 64 Reference Cooler Cats 21.6.1. Soundblaster X Ae5, 32" Dell S3220DGF 1440p Freesync Premium Pro monitor, Kingston A2000 1TB NVME. 4 TB HGST NAS HD. Win 10 pro.

Ignore List: Keystone, Andino... -My Baron, he wishes to inform you that vendetta, as he puts it in the ancient tongue, the art of kanlee is still alive... He does not wish to meet or speak with you...-
"Either half my colleagues are enormously stupid, or else the science of darwinism is fully compatible with conventional religious beliefs and equally compatible with atheism." -Stephen Jay Gould, Rock of Ages.
"The Intelligibility of the Universe itself needs explanation. It is not the gaps of understanding of the world that points to God but rather the very comprehensibility of scientific and other forms of understanding that requires an explanation." -Richard Swinburne

www.realitysandwich.com

Old Nov 11, 2021, 12:00 PM   #372
bill dennison
Radeon Arctic Islands

Quote:
AMD RDNA 3 GPU will be released soon: it is expected to be released in the second quarter of next year
https://min.news/en/tech/5d54a6cea8b...8248cf5f7.html
Old Nov 11, 2021, 09:33 PM   #373
bill dennison
Radeon Arctic Islands

Old Nov 21, 2021, 05:02 AM   #374
bill dennison
Radeon Arctic Islands

MI200
Quote:
The AMD Instinct MI250X offer 14,080 stream processors, up to 47.9 TFLOPS of FP64 performance, and 3.2 TB/s of memory bandwidth

https://www.pcgamer.com/nvidia-ceo-b...nvidia-killer/

RDNA 3 chip may look about the same
Old Nov 21, 2021, 11:17 AM   #375
pax
Rage3D Spammer

Be cool if they go back to hbm I read they arent that much more expensive than GDDR6x.

Samsung seen as developing next gen gddr tho in gddr6+ and gddr7.

https://wccftech.com/samsung-ddr6-12...next-gen-gpus/

Quote:
GDDR6+ With 24 Gbps & GDDR7 With 32 Gbps For Next-Gen GPUs
Samsung also revealed its plans to offer a faster GDDR6+ standard which will replace the existing GDDR6 chips. Currently, Micron is the only one that has designs for 21 Gbps+ graphics memory ready with its GDDR6X standard. GDDR6+ is more of a refinement of GDDR6 than just upping the bandwidth. It is said to rock speeds of up to 24 Gbps and will be part of the next generation of GPUs. This will allow GPUs with 320/352/384 bit bus layouts to reach over 1 TB/s bandwidth while 256-bit GPUs will be able to reach up to 768 GB/s bandwidth.

There's also GDDR7 which is currently on the graphics DRAM roadmap and is expected to offer up to 32 Gbps transfer speeds along with a real-time error protection technology. A GDDR7 memory sub-system across a 256-bit wide bus interface at 32 Gbps transfer speeds will offer 1 TB/s of total bandwidth. That's 1.5 TB/s with a 384-bit bus interface and up to 2 TB/s on a 512-bit system. This is just insane amounts of bandwidth for a GDDR standard.

www.realitysandwich.com

Old Nov 24, 2021, 09:25 PM   #376
acroig
Troll SMod

acroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand suns

yoz
acroig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 24, 2021, 09:36 PM   #377
bill dennison
Radeon Arctic Islands

Quote:
Originally Posted by acroig View Post
50 to 100 on something being scalped for 1300 or as high as 2300 for a
PowerColor Liquid Devil 6800XT

not a big deal maybe a little higher price will stop the scalper from buying as many as they won't want to get stuck with a higher cost cards with like 6 to 8 months till the 7800

at this point i wouldn't buy at 15% off MSRP let alone over pay ..just too late .

but it's not a good sign for the next gen prices
Old Nov 24, 2021, 09:59 PM   #378
pax
Rage3D Spammer

Well isnt it 10% wholesale to the aib's? Doesnt sound too bad the real problem is the 2x and 3x msrp we are seeing.

www.realitysandwich.com