Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Community and Site Discussions » Off Topic Lounge
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Off Topic Lounge Discuss anything you want here folks. A place for computer junkies to boldly post Off Topic... Rant and rave if it is necessary, but just try to keep it clean!

Old May 7, 2022, 10:34 AM   #91
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
SubCog
Radeon Arctic Islands

SubCog doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSubCog doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSubCog doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSubCog doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSubCog doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSubCog doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSubCog doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSubCog doesn't need no stinkin' badges

Quote:
Originally Posted by andino View Post
These days?

I'd watch that.

Ryzen 5 5600x - radeon 6700xt - 32 gigs memory

Nintendo: NES, SNES, N64, Gamecube, Wii, Wii U, Switch, Gameboy, Gameboy Pocket, Gameboy Color, Virtual Boy, 6 GBAs, DS, 3ds
Sega: Sega Master System, Genesis, 32x, Sega CD, Saturn, Dreamcast, Game Gear
Sony: PS1, PS2, PS3, PS4, PSP
Microsoft: og xbox, xbox360, xbone, series 3
Atari: Atari 2600, 7800
Neo Geo: Neo Geo Pocket Color
Other: Colecovision, Intellivision, Vectrex

riva tnt
tnt2
geforce2mx
kyro 2
radeon 8500
radeon 9600
radeon 9800pro
radeon x800pro
geforce 8800gtx
radeon 6850
radeon 280
radeon 580
radeon 6700xt
SubCog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7, 2022, 12:36 PM   #92
12Bass
Quantum Bleep

12Bass can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty12Bass can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Looks promising so far. More character development than the first three seasons of STD. Diverse cast, but not in your face.
Old May 7, 2022, 01:23 PM   #93
Munkus
Official taste-tester

Munkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of Reputation

Worth watching for someone who couldn't stand STDiscovery?
Munkus is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old May 7, 2022, 01:36 PM   #94
12Bass
Quantum Bleep

12Bass can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty12Bass can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Munkus View Post
Worth watching for someone who couldn't stand STDiscovery?
Yes, IMO...

So far, it looks like modern take on classic episodic Trek, with more interesting characters than that other show about a galactic fungus infection.
Old May 7, 2022, 03:45 PM   #95
Greasy
ODI

Greasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppersGreasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppersGreasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppersGreasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppersGreasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppersGreasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppersGreasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppersGreasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppersGreasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppersGreasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppersGreasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppers

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12Bass View Post
Yes, IMO...

So far, it looks like modern take on classic episodic Trek, with more interesting characters than that other show about a galactic fungus infection.
Agreed. Felt a lot more like the OG trek and TNG. More so the OG version.
Greasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8, 2022, 03:26 AM   #96
12Bass
Quantum Bleep

Old May 8, 2022, 04:04 AM   #97
KAC
All ur gays r belong 2 me

KAC glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsKAC glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsKAC glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsKAC glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsKAC glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsKAC glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsKAC glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsKAC glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsKAC glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsKAC glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsKAC glows with the radiance of a thousand suns

So now we are not quoting NSFW tags. Grand!
KAC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8, 2022, 09:04 AM   #98
Greasy
ODI

Greasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppersGreasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppersGreasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppersGreasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppersGreasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppersGreasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppersGreasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppersGreasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppersGreasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppersGreasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppersGreasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppers

Quote:
Originally Posted by KAC View Post
So now we are not quoting NSFW tags. Grand!
Most have been working from home for so lone we forgot what that was.
Old May 8, 2022, 09:14 PM   #99
acroig
Troll SMod

acroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand suns

Finally saw EP 1 and loved it.
acroig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17, 2022, 07:28 AM   #100
GSGRUNT
No chops 🎸

GSGRUNT once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'GSGRUNT once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'GSGRUNT once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'GSGRUNT once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'GSGRUNT once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'GSGRUNT once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

Why in a time which earth has unlimited nearly free energy are there still ugly wind turbines in Montana?

Other than that, I liked it.
Old May 17, 2022, 07:32 AM   #101
acroig
Troll SMod

acroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand suns

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSGRUNT View Post
Why in a time which earth has unlimited nearly free energy are there still ugly wind turbines in Montana?
People in Montana live off the grid.
Old May 17, 2022, 07:38 AM   #102
GSGRUNT
No chops 🎸

GSGRUNT once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'GSGRUNT once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'GSGRUNT once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'GSGRUNT once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'GSGRUNT once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'GSGRUNT once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

Quote:
Originally Posted by acroig View Post
People in Montana live off the grid.
Pocket antimatter reactors... no grid or wind power required.
Old May 17, 2022, 08:05 AM   #103
acroig
Troll SMod

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSGRUNT View Post
Pocket antimatter reactors... no grid or wind power required.
He believes in renewable energy sources?
Old May 17, 2022, 12:09 PM   #104
Trunks0
Keeping an open mind

Trunks0 can recite pi backwardsTrunks0 can recite pi backwardsTrunks0 can recite pi backwardsTrunks0 can recite pi backwardsTrunks0 can recite pi backwardsTrunks0 can recite pi backwardsTrunks0 can recite pi backwards

Subscriber

You gotta imagine they have solved, or largely solved, energy storages problems by that point in history. Allowing for the what is already a safe method of power generation to be used considerably more effectively than today. Plus his entire home setup was a little more old school, so he could be using something more practical like that simply because he wants to.

System:
Asus TUF Gaming X570-Pro - AMD Ryzen 7 5800x - Noctua NH-D15S chromax.Black - 32gb of G.Skill Trident Z NEO - Asus DRW-24F1ST DVD±RW - Samsung 850 Evo 250Gib - 4TiB Seagate - XFX MERC 308 Radeon RX 6600XT - Creative AE-5 Plus - Windows 10 64-bit
Trunks0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17, 2022, 12:34 PM   #105
GSGRUNT
No chops 🎸

Would be very disappointing if wind power generation was still around in the year 2258.

Disadvantages of wind energy
1. Unpredictable

Perhaps the biggest disadvantage to wind energy is that it cannot be produced consistently. Energy will only be produced when the wind blows.

The amount of energy produced by turbines also depends on the wind speed. Therefore, wind energy is not well-suited to be a base load energy source - AKA our main source of power generation.

However, as energy storage technology continues to become more cost-effective, it could be possible to become more reliant on wind energy. For right now though, because of its unreliability, wind turbines have to be used in tandem with other energy sources to meet our electricity demands.
2. Threat to wildlife

Wind energy does not cause environmental problems through greenhouse gas emissions, however, turbines can have an impact on wildlife.

Birds, bats, and other flying creatures have slim chances of surviving when taking a direct hit from a rotating wind turbine blade. In fact, studies have estimated that between 140,000 and 500,000 birds die from wind turbines each year. As a comparison, collisions with buildings are estimated to kill between 365 and 988 million birds annually.

Carefully planning where wind farms will be built can mitigate how many bird collisions occur.
3. Noise

Noise is a problem for some people that live in the proximity of wind turbines. The generator within the turbine makes a mechanical hum, while the blades create a “whooshing” sound as they move through the air.

However, the good news is, newer wind turbines generate much less noise than older turbines, and they will likely become even quieter with more technological advancements.
4. Looks

Wind turbines need to be built high in order to capture enough wind, which makes them a prominent part of any landscape. Some people find that large wind turbines are an eyesore, however, this is more of a personal preference.
5. Location limitations

In order for wind turbines to be economically viable, they need to be installed in a place where they will produce enough electricity. Wind farms are best suited for coastal areas, the tops of hills, and open planes - essentially anywhere with strong, reliable wind.

Most of these suitable places tend to be in remote areas far outside of cities and towns, in more rural areas or offshore. Because of this distance, new infrastructure, such as power lines, have to be built in order to connect a wind farm to the power grid.

This can be costly, and may cause some harm to the surrounding environment (i.e by tearing down trees to make way for power lines).
Old May 17, 2022, 12:46 PM   #106
Trunks0
Keeping an open mind

Trunks0 can recite pi backwardsTrunks0 can recite pi backwardsTrunks0 can recite pi backwardsTrunks0 can recite pi backwardsTrunks0 can recite pi backwardsTrunks0 can recite pi backwardsTrunks0 can recite pi backwards

Subscriber

Again, most of those issues are likely solved. How often it blows doesn't matter if everything is hyper energy efficient and the energy storage is better. Issues with things like noise and stuff hitting it are all probably solved with future tech as well. It takes place hundreds of years in the future after all.

That said, it stood out to me as well. For all we know, it's a non-functional retro art piece

System:
Asus TUF Gaming X570-Pro - AMD Ryzen 7 5800x - Noctua NH-D15S chromax.Black - 32gb of G.Skill Trident Z NEO - Asus DRW-24F1ST DVD±RW - Samsung 850 Evo 250Gib - 4TiB Seagate - XFX MERC 308 Radeon RX 6600XT - Creative AE-5 Plus - Windows 10 64-bit
Trunks0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19, 2022, 04:53 PM   #107
Nascar24
EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 Ultra

Nascar24 is not someone to be trifled withNascar24 is not someone to be trifled withNascar24 is not someone to be trifled withNascar24 is not someone to be trifled withNascar24 is not someone to be trifled withNascar24 is not someone to be trifled withNascar24 is not someone to be trifled withNascar24 is not someone to be trifled with

I think it’s time for me to give no. 1 the D!
Nascar24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19, 2022, 06:25 PM   #108
Greasy
ODI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nascar24 View Post
I think it’s time for me to give no. 1 the D!
As soon as I'm finished with her, she's all yours bud.
Old May 19, 2022, 07:53 PM   #109
Nascar24
EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 Ultra

Nascar24 is not someone to be trifled withNascar24 is not someone to be trifled withNascar24 is not someone to be trifled withNascar24 is not someone to be trifled withNascar24 is not someone to be trifled withNascar24 is not someone to be trifled withNascar24 is not someone to be trifled withNascar24 is not someone to be trifled with

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greasy View Post
As soon as I'm finished with her, she's all yours bud.
Lots of D banter in latest episode.
Nascar24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20, 2022, 07:47 AM   #110
acroig
Troll SMod

See? Trek can be 'woke' without sounding woke, just like in the 60s.
Old May 21, 2022, 10:03 PM   #111
xCLAVEx
FYI FTP BGI BOYB

xCLAVEx knows why the caged bird singsxCLAVEx knows why the caged bird singsxCLAVEx knows why the caged bird singsxCLAVEx knows why the caged bird singsxCLAVEx knows why the caged bird sings

I hate Pikes hair. I don't know why they made it look ridiculous, it was fine the way it was when he was on Discovery.

"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that."
~George Carlin

"A man moaning in a pr0n sounds like a cow with a kidney stone."

"It's often not your fault if you have problems, but it is your responsibility to do something about them".
xCLAVEx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21, 2022, 10:52 PM   #112
Dungeoncrawler
Radeon Arctic Islands

Dungeoncrawler can recite pi backwardsDungeoncrawler can recite pi backwardsDungeoncrawler can recite pi backwardsDungeoncrawler can recite pi backwardsDungeoncrawler can recite pi backwardsDungeoncrawler can recite pi backwardsDungeoncrawler can recite pi backwards

Quote:
Originally Posted by xCLAVEx View Post
I hate Pikes hair. I don't know why they made it look ridiculous, it was fine the way it was when he was on Discovery.
Yeah its sorta over the top. I mean in real-life, it would always be messed up right?
Dungeoncrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21, 2022, 11:45 PM   #113
KAC

KAC glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsKAC glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsKAC glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsKAC glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsKAC glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsKAC glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsKAC glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsKAC glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsKAC glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsKAC glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsKAC glows with the radiance of a thousand suns

This worth boning?
I haven’t watched Star Trek since forever.
Old May 22, 2022, 05:12 PM   #114
acroig
Troll SMod

Folding@home

Quote:
Originally Posted by xCLAVEx View Post
Same here, looks too 1950s.
Old May 23, 2022, 04:54 AM   #115
Silent-Runner
nulli secundus

Silent-Runner considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestSilent-Runner considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestSilent-Runner considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestSilent-Runner considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestSilent-Runner considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestSilent-Runner considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestSilent-Runner considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestSilent-Runner considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestSilent-Runner considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestSilent-Runner considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestSilent-Runner considers Jack Bauer an amateur at best

wasn't able to watch so far, but the hair looks normal in the screenshots

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۞۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

"Time is the school in which we learn, Time is the fire in which we burn. *Delmore Schwartz*

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۞۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
Silent-Runner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27, 2022, 01:21 AM   #116
KAC

So I watched the first episode. Seems I am missing some backstory.
Is this an all new cast and series or do I need to watch something else to come up to speed. I am really lost between original and new gen roles.

I don’t remember Pike, Kirk and Spoc being in the same series. Wasn’t Kirk after Pike? I have completely forgotten what this whole series is about.

Let me know if I need to watch something else. I also don’t know anything about Picard series anymore.
Old May 27, 2022, 07:55 AM   #117
acroig
Troll SMod

Quote:
Is this an all new cast and series or do I need to watch something else to come up to speed. I am really lost between original and new gen roles.

I don’t remember Pike, Kirk and Spoc being in the same series. Wasn’t Kirk after Pike? I have completely forgotten what this whole series is about.

Let me know if I need to watch something else. I also don’t know anything about Picard series anymore.
Discovery S2 sets up Pike, Spock and #1.

The Kirk in Pike's Enterprise is Jim's brother, George Samuel.

Last edited by acroig : May 27, 2022 at 12:01 PM.
Old May 27, 2022, 10:21 AM   #118
shrike126
Chirp Chirp Mother****er

shrike126 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersshrike126 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersshrike126 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersshrike126 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersshrike126 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersshrike126 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersshrike126 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersshrike126 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersshrike126 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersshrike126 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersshrike126 has a basement full of buried neg-reppers

Subscriber

Quote:

Yeah, basically just look at this as a prequel series to Star Trek's original series with James T. Kirk and others.
"I don't even wait. And when you're a star they let you do it. You can do anything."
"Grab them by the pussy."

~Donald J. Trump
Quote:
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe, is that so far none of it has tried to contact us." ~ Calvin & Hobbes
Quote:
"Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable." ~ John F. Kennedy (1962)
shrike126 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27, 2022, 11:09 AM   #119
Arrowhead
to the knee.

Arrowhead once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Arrowhead once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Arrowhead once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Arrowhead once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Arrowhead once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Arrowhead once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

Just wondering why Ontario Place was represented as an alien world in episode 3, then I found out this show is filmed here in the GTA. Neat.
Arrowhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28, 2022, 10:44 AM   #120
Higgy10
Radeon Arctic Islands

Higgy10 can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundHiggy10 can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundHiggy10 can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundHiggy10 can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundHiggy10 can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundHiggy10 can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundHiggy10 can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundHiggy10 can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundHiggy10 can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundHiggy10 can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundHiggy10 can leap small-ish buildings in a single bound

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arrowhead View Post
Just wondering why Ontario Place was represented as an alien world in episode 3, then I found out this show is filmed here in the GTA. Neat.
to be fair, ontario is alien to most americans
Higgy10 is offline   Reply With Quote