Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Graphics Technology Forums » Other Graphics Cards and 3D Technologies
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Other Graphics Cards and 3D Technologies Discussion forum for any graphics hardware not provided by AMD/ATI. Also place to discuss 3D technologies such as 3D Stereo, PhysX and other interesting developments/rumours in the 3D industry.

Old Mar 10, 2022, 11:09 PM   #2431
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
Leprechaun
Radeon Arctic Islands

Leprechaun can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyLeprechaun can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyLeprechaun can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

I have two 3090 EVGA ftw3 gaming whatchumacallits +1100 on memory mining for about a year and a half as well.
One 3080 of the same as well...All still work.

I had to move one to another machine as I later found out the PSU was keeping it back and making it crash. Unsure why.

For the record I find the 3090 Asus rog Strix to be the best at mining.. Both of those cards do +1200 mem for like 15 months never crashed.. temps stay lower than the evgas I have.
Old Mar 11, 2022, 09:57 AM   #2432
Riptide
Avtomat Kalashnikova 1947

Riptide can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyRiptide can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

I have it at +1300 memory right now, 74% power, and have the core speeds at 0. This is based on internet searching for settings. Result is 122.6 MH and memory junction temps of 90c.

The junction temps are 'cool' for a couple reasons. The house is kept cooler during winter months. It will be warmer in the summer and will push well into the 90s.

The 120mm noctua that I have literally sitting on the backplate is also helping to cut temps by a few degrees. I have a heatsink that I would like to apply as well however that may not work out due to clearance issues with interference coming in from the CPU cooler directly above it.

Since temps are not a concern right now and 90c is not bad I may leave it alone however in the summer if things get bad then I may consider moving the card down to the lower PCI-E x16 slot and see if I can get the heat sink applied with it in that location. I have a thermal pad for it too.

AMD Ryzen 5950X
32GB GSkill PC 3600
ASUS TUF X570+ WiFi
MSI 3090Ti Suprim X
Riptide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 11, 2022, 04:55 PM   #2433
Leprechaun
Radeon Arctic Islands

Leprechaun can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyLeprechaun can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyLeprechaun can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

I have a bunch of cards in a server room so it has 24/7 AC
.. I have a Gigabyte 3090 eagle. Gigabyte is the worst ever. It hits the 110C in the hottest summer days and will throttle 122 to 114mh/s up and down. With that POS you have to put your own thermal pads. Either way running like that still fine almost 1.5.yrs later. Has paid for itself a few times over.

90C is child's play. It's rated for like 110C before throttling
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Mar 12, 2022, 02:03 PM   #2434
Riptide

Riptide can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyRiptide can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Yah I'm not real concerned about low 90s temps on the memory though it still seems warm to me.

My backup plan, since I want to avoid the thermal pad swap, is to move the card down to the lower PCIE16x slot which will give plenty of room for the heat sink and thermal pad install.

The issue however is the motherboard may be limited to 4x in that slot. For a dedicated miner that would be fine. Not for a dual use scenario though. I'm still trying to figure out if this TUF X570 will run the lower slot in 4x or 8x with a single GPU installed.

Manual is not clear.

AMD Ryzen 5950X
32GB GSkill PC 3600
ASUS TUF X570+ WiFi
MSI 3090Ti Suprim X
Old Mar 13, 2022, 09:53 AM   #2435
Leprechaun
Radeon Arctic Islands

I also don't know. Doesn't it also depend on how many nvme drives are taking up PCIe lanes?
Old Mar 13, 2022, 10:26 AM   #2436
Riptide

I guess on the cheaper X570 boards the bottom PCIE "X16" slot is run through the chipset and limited to x4. Kind of dumb to label it as an X16 slot but I guess that must be a form factor kind of deal.

Anyhow, that is pushing it so I won't be moving the card down there. I can still experiment a little bit with the system running with the card in the top slot and set the heatsink on the backplate. Then see how far I can push the fan back before it hits interference.

It may still be worth applying even if it only cuts off another couple degrees.

EDIT:
Nope not gonna fit. No way no how. Heatsink will fit OK but the fan doesn't push back very far before it runs into interference. Would need to upgrade the motherboard for one that has dual 8x capability before I'd be willing to move the GPU down a slot. At $250+ and the hassle, definitely not going that route unless temps really start to become a issue this summer. That is if the merge doesn't nullify the whole problem anyway.

AMD Ryzen 5950X
32GB GSkill PC 3600
ASUS TUF X570+ WiFi
MSI 3090Ti Suprim X

Last edited by Riptide : Mar 13, 2022 at 11:08 AM.
Old Mar 13, 2022, 06:51 PM   #2437
Leprechaun
Radeon Arctic Islands

I don't see a merge any time soon.
I didn't even bother with pads on the eagle 3090. I just stuck it beside the AC so it gets closer to the cool air. Keeps the memory at a chill ~100C or so. I suppose I could boil water.

I swear my cheap x570 has x16 on the first PCIe and x8 on second. There's that bifurcation option I think it makes both x8?
Old Mar 14, 2022, 02:20 AM   #2438
KAC
All ur gays r belong 2 me

KAC glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsKAC glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsKAC glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsKAC glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsKAC glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsKAC glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsKAC glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsKAC glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsKAC glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsKAC glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsKAC glows with the radiance of a thousand suns

Earn rate is further down.
Seems people are still pumping the MH. Will try to sell out soon.
KAC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 14, 2022, 08:30 AM   #2439
Riptide

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leprechaun View Post
I swear my cheap x570 has x16 on the first PCIe and x8 on second. There's that bifurcation option I think it makes both x8?
That would've been worth a try and I do see the option in the BIOS. Unfortunately I have already returned the heat sink and thermal pad. I ordered one of these:
https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B09MRZXJ...roduct_details
And also some upgraded pads to use:
https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B09N7HXD...roduct_details

This should fit and allow me to continue using the top slot at 16x.

AMD Ryzen 5950X
32GB GSkill PC 3600
ASUS TUF X570+ WiFi
MSI 3090Ti Suprim X
Old Mar 22, 2022, 11:17 AM   #2440
Leprechaun
Radeon Arctic Islands

So I guess we're mining eth til June. Wonder how the Hashpower will spread out then
Old Mar 22, 2022, 09:30 PM   #2441
KAC

KAC glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsKAC glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsKAC glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsKAC glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsKAC glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsKAC glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsKAC glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsKAC glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsKAC glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsKAC glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsKAC glows with the radiance of a thousand suns

Is this confirmed.
Old Mar 23, 2022, 08:27 AM   #2442
Riptide

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leprechaun View Post
So I guess we're mining eth til June. Wonder how the Hashpower will spread out then
It'll spread about as well as ten gallons of mayo on a single sandwich.

IOW, it's going to be a disaster. At least for a few months until enough people finally give up and get out.

AMD Ryzen 5950X
32GB GSkill PC 3600
ASUS TUF X570+ WiFi
MSI 3090Ti Suprim X
Old Mar 23, 2022, 01:11 PM   #2443
Leprechaun
Radeon Arctic Islands

Testnet works. Apparently rolling the schizzle out in June '22.
Not sure what it all means haven't bothered to read yet.

There's other crud to mine including useless ethereum classic
Old Mar 23, 2022, 02:54 PM   #2444
Riptide

All the hash rate focused on ETH right now, which is absolutely enormous, will not be able to go anywhere without completely saturating every other coin's network. Difficulty is going to skyrocket and people will be constantly hopping back and forth possibly on an hourly basis to stay ahead of the other guy so they can eek out a fraction of a profit.

ETC is even worse, all the existing ETH ASIC devices can just hop right on over there.

It'll take a little while but once the merge happens there will be an epic amount of GPUs dumped on the used market for super cheap.

I doubt profitability returns to any POW coin for at minimum 3 months, quite likely much longer than that.

AMD Ryzen 5950X
32GB GSkill PC 3600
ASUS TUF X570+ WiFi
MSI 3090Ti Suprim X
Old Mar 23, 2022, 09:06 PM   #2445
KAC

I need to benchmark all algos again on all cards so that they auto switch to whatever the **** Nicehash tells them to. Like old times.
Old Mar 24, 2022, 11:39 AM   #2446
Leprechaun
Radeon Arctic Islands

Exactly Riptide. Many peeps will quit mining and sell cards for cheap. Should reach equilibrium before year end.

Next few months look promising. The goal is to get rich enough where the price of the new 4090 won't faze me
Old Mar 27, 2022, 06:06 PM   #2447
Leprechaun
Radeon Arctic Islands

Is the "meltup" on? Will KAC break even soon?
Gaming coins flying
Old Mar 27, 2022, 11:12 PM   #2448
KAC

Shits going up again.
Old Mar 28, 2022, 09:28 AM   #2449
Leprechaun
Radeon Arctic Islands

April will be sweet for sure. Daddy gotta make some coin.
Do Kwon singlehandedly kickstarting the bull run continuation
Old Mar 29, 2022, 12:07 AM   #2450
KAC

RISE. RISE DARK KNIGHT. RISE!
Old Mar 30, 2022, 07:53 AM   #2451
Riptide

KAC you going to get a 3090ti and get us some new data for power consumption, temps, and hash rate??

Cmon be our guinea pig..

AMD Ryzen 5950X
32GB GSkill PC 3600
ASUS TUF X570+ WiFi
MSI 3090Ti Suprim X
Old Mar 30, 2022, 11:43 AM   #2452
Leprechaun
Radeon Arctic Islands

Ya you know it's totally worth it you'll make back the purchase price by the June PoS
Old Mar 31, 2022, 07:34 PM   #2453
KAC

Honestly if it were June of last year I would’ve. Given the POS 3 months down the line, not indulging. Also here is your answer on hash rate and power.

https://www.nicehash.com/blog/post/n...ining-hashrate
Old Apr 1, 2022, 07:38 AM   #2454
Riptide

It's basically about the same as a 3090 as far as efficiency goes. You can squeeze a little bit more overall hash rate out of it. Better memory temps which is nice.

I would like to have one but I'm honestly not even sure it's worth the cost to use the step-up program for it. 7-10% faster in games and a small bump in hash rate for $480. Plus my main desktop would be down for a week while I waited for evga to get the new card to me.

AMD Ryzen 5950X
32GB GSkill PC 3600
ASUS TUF X570+ WiFi
MSI 3090Ti Suprim X
Old Apr 1, 2022, 09:04 AM   #2455
KAC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riptide View Post
It's basically about the same as a 3090 as far as efficiency goes. You can squeeze a little bit more overall hash rate out of it. Better memory temps which is nice.

I would like to have one but I'm honestly not even sure it's worth the cost to use the step-up program for it. 7-10% faster in games and a small bump in hash rate for $480. Plus my main desktop would be down for a week while I waited for evga to get the new card to me.
Should totally step up. I wish I had those kind of options here.
Old Apr 1, 2022, 11:36 PM   #2456
Riptide

Already cancelled it. I could re-queue if I wanted. I just don't think it's worth $480 and the week of downtime.

There is an outside chance newegg will let me return the 3090 for a refund but since it's open box the policy is a problem. No big deal. If they let me return it I'll take the money and just buy a new 3090ti for another $200. If they won't let me return it I'll keep it.

AMD Ryzen 5950X
32GB GSkill PC 3600
ASUS TUF X570+ WiFi
MSI 3090Ti Suprim X
Old Apr 2, 2022, 08:34 AM   #2457
Leprechaun
Radeon Arctic Islands

I won't bother trading in any 3090s. I'll wait for the 4080/90 before buying anything
Old Apr 4, 2022, 12:50 AM   #2458
KAC

There might be a gay willing to pay MSRP for all 3 3070s I have. If that happens I am selling this today. As with all buyers he will probably change his mind before this day ends. Let’s see.
Old Apr 4, 2022, 08:35 AM   #2459
Riptide

Yah when it comes to selling items off craigslist or facebook marketplace I've found you need to strike while the iron is hot. If you don't push the deal through asap quite often people flake out and ghost you.

Sold a lot of stuff this way but it can be a pita.

Probably will find out in the next day or two if newegg will let me return my 3090 for a full refund. If they do I won't have a lot of choice and may end up with a zotac since almost everything else is out of stock for the 3090Ti.

AMD Ryzen 5950X
32GB GSkill PC 3600
ASUS TUF X570+ WiFi
MSI 3090Ti Suprim X
Old Apr 4, 2022, 10:49 AM   #2460
KAC

Mofo seems to be ghosting. Let’s see.