Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Graphics Technology Forums » Other Graphics Cards and 3D Technologies
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Other Graphics Cards and 3D Technologies Discussion forum for any graphics hardware not provided by AMD/ATI. Also place to discuss 3D technologies such as 3D Stereo, PhysX and other interesting developments/rumours in the 3D industry.

Old Jul 19, 2021, 02:54 AM   #931
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
Nunz
RIP Roxen

Nunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand suns

Bill you keep saying GSync is dead but I've literally showed you it isn't multiple times. You're wrong. Stop being wrong.
"If you can't handle me when I'm bulking, you don't deserve me when I'm cut." -- Marilyn Monbroe
Nunz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 19, 2021, 02:57 AM   #932
bill dennison
Radeon Arctic Islands

bill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nunz View Post
Bill you keep saying GSync is dead but I've literally showed you it isn't multiple times. You're wrong. Stop being wrong.
it's just freesync now for the most part few screens add the chip now
bill dennison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 19, 2021, 07:32 AM   #933
Sound_Card
Banned

Sound_Card can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultySound_Card can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Quote:
Originally Posted by demo View Post
If you say so:
Quote:
Originally Posted by SIrPauly View Post
Much better with Taa:
The poetry writes itself.

We will be zooming in 500% when FSR 2 comes out.
Sound_Card is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Jul 19, 2021, 07:57 AM   #934
Sound_Card
Banned

Sound_Card can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultySound_Card can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Quote:
What that proved to me is if there are noticeable artifacts or limitations with the AA, Fsr may make things worse because of the sharpening.
the sharpening filter is probably a tad over aggressive. I do wonder if they can bring back MLAA.
Sound_Card is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 19, 2021, 04:30 PM   #935
Exposed
ESB Sports Bookie

Exposed can recite pi backwardsExposed can recite pi backwardsExposed can recite pi backwardsExposed can recite pi backwardsExposed can recite pi backwardsExposed can recite pi backwardsExposed can recite pi backwards

That's the first time I've heard them admit DLSS 2.0 does in fact can provide a better than native image quality.

Also, they find like alot of others have that Necromunda is way oversharpened with FSR. But some people like oversharpening artifacts I suppose.
Exposed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 19, 2021, 06:19 PM   #936
Megaman
Packing heat!

Megaman can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMegaman can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMegaman can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMegaman can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMegaman can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMegaman can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMegaman can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMegaman can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMegaman can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMegaman can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMegaman can leap small-ish buildings in a single bound

471.41 WHQL drivers adds support for Red Dead Redemption if you want to retry the DLSS.
Megaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 19, 2021, 07:22 PM   #937
demo
space cadet

demo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieseldemo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieseldemo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieseldemo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieseldemo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieseldemo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieseldemo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieseldemo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieseldemo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieseldemo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieseldemo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Diesel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sound_Card View Post
The poetry writes itself.

We will be zooming in 500% when FSR 2 comes out.
Fair play, it does look a lot better with TAA but still has issues. It wasn't zoomed in 500% either.
Old Jul 20, 2021, 05:17 PM   #938
SubCog
Radeon Arctic Islands

SubCog is not someone to be trifled withSubCog is not someone to be trifled withSubCog is not someone to be trifled withSubCog is not someone to be trifled withSubCog is not someone to be trifled withSubCog is not someone to be trifled withSubCog is not someone to be trifled withSubCog is not someone to be trifled with

Quote:
Originally Posted by demo View Post
If you say so:

Yup. DLSS is clearly superior. It's offering a smoother image, with less shimmering, especially on elements like hair, fabric, etc.

Although FSR is surprisingly good-enough, especially for a 1.0 release.

I think they both look amazing, especially in motion, and I think people have to really pixel-peep to really tell the difference. I doubt most people could tell any difference at all, unless you were zoom way in and point out specific elements.

Ryzen 2600x - radeon 6700xt - 16 gigs memory

NES, SNES, N64, Gamecube, Wii, Wii U, Switch, Gameboy, Gameboy Pocket, Gameboy Color, Virtual Boy, 6 GBAs, DS, 3ds
Sega Master System, Genesis, 32x, Sega CD, Saturn, Dreamcast, Game Gear
PS1, PS2, PS3, PS4, PSP
og xbox, xbox360, xbone
Atari 2600, 7800
Neo Geo Pocket Color

riva tnt
tnt2
32 meg geforce2mx
kyro 2
radeon8500
radeon9600
radeon9800pro
radeon x800pro
geforce 8800gtx
radeon 6850
radeon 280
radeon 580
radeon 6700xt
SubCog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 20, 2021, 06:20 PM   #939
Trunks0
Keeping an open mind

Trunks0 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Trunks0 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Trunks0 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Trunks0 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Trunks0 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Trunks0 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exposed View Post
That's the first time I've heard them admit DLSS 2.0 does in fact can provide a better than native image quality.

Also, they find like alot of others have that Necromunda is way oversharpened with FSR. But some people like oversharpening artifacts I suppose.
That's because it's not always the case 100% of the time. There are situation's where it does. Term is getting loaded, because it doesn't just blanket provide 100% better than native.

System:
Gigabyte Z87X D3H - Intel i7 4770k @ 4.5Ghz - CoolerMaster Hyper 212 Black RGB - 16Gb Kingston HyperX Black DDR3-1600 - Asus DRW-24F1ST DVD±RW - Samsung 850 Evo 250Gib - 4TiB Seagate - XFX MERC 308 Radeon RX 6600XT - Creative AE-5 Plus - Windows 10 64-bit
Trunks0 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 25, 2021, 12:11 AM   #940
Nagorak
Incarnation of the Nether

Nagorak can recite pi backwardsNagorak can recite pi backwardsNagorak can recite pi backwardsNagorak can recite pi backwardsNagorak can recite pi backwardsNagorak can recite pi backwardsNagorak can recite pi backwards

So, just some short thoughts on my first experience with Ray Tracing and DLSS in Control.

Starting with ray tracing, the game did look moderately better with ray tracing on, however the performance hit was extreme. I went back and forth, but ultimately decided to run with ray tracing since performance seemed borderline OK at 1440P with DLSS. That being said, I am glad I waited to play any ray traced games until I had a 3080 because if I had anything less I would have just disabled it based on the performance hit. Doing some comparisons here and there in the game, while moderately better with ray tracing on, I didn't feel like the overall experience would be that different if you played with ray tracing off.

As for DLSS, after all the hype I was pretty underwhelmed. Even running the newest DLSS DLL from Techpowerup, it was immediately clear to me that the image was much softer, with text in particular being noticeably more blurry. Worse than that when used with ray tracing DLSS introduced a weird shifting static pattern on ray traced surfaces, which was quite annoying. I didn't really notice any ghosting issues outside of those already present from my monitor's dark level overshoot when running around 100 Hz.

Ultimately I did run with DLSS enabled since I decided it was "good enough" and I could just ignore the artifacts. But really, all the arguing here about how great DLSS is vs FSR, comes across as a bit laughable to me based on the implementation in Control. It was not anywhere near native quality.

Maybe my opinion will change after playing more games, but at this point, my feelings are: 1) I'd never even think of using DLSS unless I was desperate for more performance. 2) The real solution to the large ray tracing performance hit is the cards need more (a lot more) ray tracing units, not an upsampling technique to try to cover up the deficit. 3) Long term I think ray tracing has potential, once the hardware finally catches up, but upscaling I am less convinced about.
Nagorak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 25, 2021, 12:49 AM   #941
demo
space cadet

demo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieseldemo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieseldemo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieseldemo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieseldemo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieseldemo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieseldemo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieseldemo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieseldemo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieseldemo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieseldemo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Diesel

Both DLSS and FSR seem to shine at higher resolutions where they have more information to work with. At 1440p you're upscaling from either 960p (quality) or 720p (performance). With that in mind, it's doing a pretty good job.

I have Control but never bothered to install it so can't comment on how it compares to other games.

As for Raytracing, reflections are a nice addition but I feel Global Illumination is where it's at. Metro EE, Cyberpunk, and Quake2 support this.

GI in Metro EE:

Last edited by demo : Jul 25, 2021 at 12:59 AM.
demo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 25, 2021, 02:22 AM   #942
Nagorak
Incarnation of the Nether

Nagorak can recite pi backwardsNagorak can recite pi backwardsNagorak can recite pi backwardsNagorak can recite pi backwardsNagorak can recite pi backwardsNagorak can recite pi backwardsNagorak can recite pi backwards

Yeah, I can see DLSS might be more impressive at higher resolution where it has more data to work with. Maybe the new Ultra Quality setting will also help at 1440P. Even 960P clearly wasn't quite enough to work with, and any of the lower settings were just terrible.

I did end up playing with DLSS so I don't want to make it out like it was unusable. I decided the reduction in image quality was worth the extra 20-30 FPS, but it definitely was a trade off. I guess I was just expecting more considering all of the hype around it.

I'll probably move on to Metro: Exodus as one of my next games, so we'll see how it fares there.

Outside of consideration of graphics, Control was a pretty good game, so if you haven't played I recommend giving it a shot.
Nagorak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 26, 2021, 01:52 AM   #943
demo
space cadet

This is very noticeable in Doom Eternal with DLSS. RT reflections are half the DLSS render res, not output res. For example if you run 4k with DLSS at a render res of 1440p, RT reflections are at 720p. Combined with RT noise the low resolution is very noticeable. Extremely shimmery and full of artefacts.

In Doom Eternal you can at least adjust reflection resolution via console command.
Old Aug 14, 2021, 04:02 AM   #944
Trunks0
Keeping an open mind

Trunks0 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Trunks0 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Trunks0 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Trunks0 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Trunks0 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Trunks0 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

Subscriber

About sums it up imho.

System:
Gigabyte Z87X D3H - Intel i7 4770k @ 4.5Ghz - CoolerMaster Hyper 212 Black RGB - 16Gb Kingston HyperX Black DDR3-1600 - Asus DRW-24F1ST DVD±RW - Samsung 850 Evo 250Gib - 4TiB Seagate - XFX MERC 308 Radeon RX 6600XT - Creative AE-5 Plus - Windows 10 64-bit
Old Aug 14, 2021, 04:49 AM   #945
KAC
It might be gays!

KAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dial

So which is better. I haven’t followed DLSS vs. FSR debates and have no intention of watching long videos by Gamers Nexus or some crap.
KAC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 14, 2021, 05:16 AM   #946
Trunks0
Keeping an open mind

Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by KAC View Post
So which is better. I haven’t followed DLSS vs. FSR debates and have no intention of watching long videos by Gamers Nexus or some crap.
DLSS 2.0.

DLSS 2.0 can use it's pre-trained generalized AI to ID and re-construct distant object from the temporal data(that would otherwise just be an aliased mess). Plus it also uses the AI to correct that same Temporal info for the TAA. Leading to one of the best looking versions of TAA we are likely to see. Downside? It can loose fine details and streak particle details in some games. So depending on the game and what you want framerate wise, it's worth it.

FSR is simpler. It's a good scaler and it can look close to the native image. But it doesn't really enhance or try to reconstruct things like the aliased parts of the image. So for instance if a game has bad AA, FSR isn't going to help like DLSS 2.0 will.

Sort of a twist though... people are now figuring out how to use FSR even in games without FSR support and without having to mod the games. Letting you use FSR in more places if you needed that frame rate boost.

System:
Old Aug 14, 2021, 07:25 AM   #947
SirBaron
Hallowed are the Clownies

SirBaron exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselSirBaron exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselSirBaron exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselSirBaron exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselSirBaron exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselSirBaron exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselSirBaron exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselSirBaron exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselSirBaron exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselSirBaron exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselSirBaron exchanges holiday cards with Vin Diesel

The best part of DLSS is that it can make games with heavy Shader aliasing look very clean.

Games like Mass Effect for example would benefit hugely from it just for that.
Old Sep 11, 2021, 08:10 PM   #948
SIrPauly
Did someone say, RGSSAA?

SIrPauly can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultySIrPauly can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultySIrPauly can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Been enjoying Death Stranding with Hdr 4k Dlss quality, what a unique game and not a fan of so many cut scenes, but these are impressive. Finally had a chance to investigate 8K with Dsr.
Old Sep 13, 2021, 09:24 PM   #949
SIrPauly
Did someone say, RGSSAA?

SIrPauly can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultySIrPauly can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultySIrPauly can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Just fooled with native+Taa in Death Stranding at 4K, and the quality Dlss 4K setting does a better job at detail and anti-aliasing.
Old Sep 13, 2021, 09:50 PM   #950
demo
space cadet

Certainly does. Also have a look at how well it cleans up the shimmering tall grass compared to native+TAA.
Old Sep 13, 2021, 11:41 PM   #951
Trunks0
Keeping an open mind

Subscriber

It also introduces streaking/trails to particles (those rising rock particles and birds are not supposed to have trails), removes particles detail entirely in a scene or two, can over blur water at lower resolutions and adds what looks like macro blocking in the grey areas of the sky and heavy depth blurs when still and ... that about it. You can also fix most/all? of that by swapping out the DLSS 2.0 version built in with a newer DLSS 2.X dll

System:
Old Sep 13, 2021, 11:56 PM   #952
SIrPauly
Did someone say, RGSSAA?

The 2.2.6 Dll cleans that up. Really looks nice.
Old Sep 14, 2021, 12:08 AM   #953
KAC
It might be gays!

KAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dial

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trunks0 View Post
DLSS 2.0.

DLSS 2.0 can use it's pre-trained generalized AI to ID and re-construct distant object from the temporal data(that would otherwise just be an aliased mess). Plus it also uses the AI to correct that same Temporal info for the TAA. Leading to one of the best looking versions of TAA we are likely to see. Downside? It can loose fine details and streak particle details in some games. So depending on the game and what you want framerate wise, it's worth it.

FSR is simpler. It's a good scaler and it can look close to the native image. But it doesn't really enhance or try to reconstruct things like the aliased parts of the image. So for instance if a game has bad AA, FSR isn't going to help like DLSS 2.0 will.

Sort of a twist though... people are now figuring out how to use FSR even in games without FSR support and without having to mod the games. Letting you use FSR in more places if you needed that frame rate boost.
Thanks
Old Sep 14, 2021, 12:09 AM   #954
KAC
It might be gays!

Quote:
The 2.2.6 Dll cleans that up. Really looks nice.
Link to download and how do I install this?
Old Sep 14, 2021, 12:35 AM   #955
SIrPauly
Did someone say, RGSSAA?

Just for conversational purposes:

Has anyone compared Fsr to the Gpu upscaling feature from Nvidia?

https://mobile.twitter.com/dachsjaeg...82316658413573

This isn't the first time I heard this view from Alex. Personally talk to Blaire from Germany virtually every day and is always tinkering, testing and investigating, and Blaire when Fsr was initially in GodFall basically offered, The Nvidia GPU upscaling feature is very similar to Fsr, but with more flexibility.
Old Sep 14, 2021, 01:13 AM   #956
SIrPauly
Did someone say, RGSSAA?

Kac,

Download here from TechPowerUp and look for the 2.2.6 DLL.

https://www.techpowerup.com/download/nvidia-dlss-dll/

If you use Steam, go to Program Files(X86)> Steam > steamapps > common > Death Stranding and look for the file nvngx_dlss.dll and back up the older version and replace with 2.2.6.
Old Sep 14, 2021, 03:07 AM   #957
KAC
It might be gays!

Quote:
Kac,

Download here from TechPowerUp and look for the 2.2.6 DLL.

https://www.techpowerup.com/download/nvidia-dlss-dll/

If you use Steam, go to Program Files(X86)> Steam > steamapps > common > Death Stranding and look for the file nvngx_dlss.dll and back up the older version and replace with 2.2.6.
Many thanks
Old Sep 14, 2021, 07:46 AM   #958
Exposed
ESB Sports Bookie

Exposed can recite pi backwardsExposed can recite pi backwardsExposed can recite pi backwardsExposed can recite pi backwardsExposed can recite pi backwardsExposed can recite pi backwardsExposed can recite pi backwards

Quote:
Originally Posted by KAC View Post
Link to download and how do I install this?
There you go:
https://bit.ly/3CeQ4t9
Exposed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 15, 2021, 05:00 AM   #959
SIrPauly
Did someone say, RGSSAA?

This post was well reasoned to me about FSR compared to the Nvidia driver level GPU Scaling feature

https://www.reddit.com/r/nvidia/comm...eb2x&context=3

Quote:
Originally Posted by m_w_h
Nvidia introduced '5 tap' and 'Integer' scaling in Turing's 'Hardware Accelerated Programmable Scaling Filter'.

Can't recall earlier Nvidia GPU scaling methods and if they are inferior to Turing/Ampere e.g. Pascal and before, will have to check.

EDIT: Had time to briefly and subjectively compare Nvidia Turing 5 Tap, Pascal (method not known to me), FSR and compare FSR source code with Lanzcos.

FSR while certainly Lanzcos based appears to address edges differently, there is less 'ringing' than Nvidia 5 Tap and Lanzcos. The FSR source code confirms that edges and scaling methods are tweaked over Lanzcos.

Nvidia 5 Tap GPU Scaling in Turing and above is impressive but there are issues with edges, FSR is often better in that regard.

Nvidia's GPU scaling in Pascal doesn't appear to be as visually effective as 5 Tap GPU Scaling in Turing and above.

TL;DR: FSR is different, particularly on edges and scaling choices (radial)

Feel that is a very fair post. It's nice to have these choices.
Old Today, 07:40 AM   #960
SIrPauly
Did someone say, RGSSAA?

This is what I have been hoping for -- for flexibility:

NVIDIA DLAA (Deep Learning Anti-Aliasing) to Debut in Elder Scrolls Online, Delivering Incredible AA Quality

https://wccftech.com/nvidia-dlaa-dee...crolls-online/