Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Gaming and Computing Forums » General Hardware
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

General Hardware Talk about PCs/Macs, motherboards, CPUs, sound cards, RAM, hard drives, networking and everything else about computer hardware!

Old Nov 5, 2020, 11:25 AM   #421
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
acroig
Troll SMod

acroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand suns

Quote:
Originally Posted by bill dennison View Post
not when you add in amd smart access memory
Show me the money!!

yoz
acroig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2020, 11:28 AM   #422
pax
Rage3D Spammer

pax once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'pax once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'pax once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'pax once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'pax once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'pax once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

Quote:

Ya this is important not so much for more fps as for world building games. Its the same principle as the tech in the PS5 that was demoed. Highly detailed worlds with no load zones.

Its enough to sell me on a mobo/cpu combo.

Piledriver Rig 2016: Gigabyte G1 gaming 990fx. FX 8350 cpu. XFX RX 480 GTR Cats 21.6.1, SoundBlaster ZXR, 2 x 8 gig ddr3 1866 Kingston. 1 x 2tb Firecuda seagate with 8 gig mlc SSHD. Sharp 60" 4k 60 hz tv. Win 10 home.

Ryzen Rig 2017: Gigabyte X370 K7 F50d bios. Ryzen 1700x. 2 x 8 ddr4 3600 (@3200) Gskill. Sapphire Vega 64 Reference Cooler Cats 21.6.1. Soundblaster X Ae5, 32" Dell S3220DGF 1440p Freesync Premium Pro monitor, Kingston A2000 1TB NVME. 4 TB HGST NAS HD. Win 10 pro.

Ignore List: Keystone... -My Baron he wishes to inform you that vendetta, as he puts it in the ancient tongue, the art of kanlee is still alive... He does not wish to meet or speak with you...-
"Either half my colleagues are enormously stupid, or else the science of darwinism is fully compatible with conventional religious beliefs and equally compatible with atheism." -Stephen Jay Gould, Rock of Ages.
"The Intelligibility of the Universe itself needs explanation. It is not the gaps of understanding of the world that points to God but rather the very comprehensibility of scientific and other forms of understanding that requires an explanation." -Richard Swinburne

www.realitysandwich.com

www.makepovertyhistory.org
pax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2020, 11:36 AM   #423
Nascar24
EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 Ultra

Nascar24 can recite pi backwardsNascar24 can recite pi backwardsNascar24 can recite pi backwardsNascar24 can recite pi backwardsNascar24 can recite pi backwardsNascar24 can recite pi backwardsNascar24 can recite pi backwards

Quote:
I will believe that when I see reviews with 4K results.
Nascar24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Nov 5, 2020, 11:42 AM   #424
acroig
Troll SMod

acroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand suns

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nascar24 View Post
I will believe that when I see reviews with 4K results.
Like I said, show me the money....

May make more sense @ 1440p though....

yoz
Old Nov 5, 2020, 11:55 AM   #425
Mangler
PC

Mangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single bound

It sucks that direct storage isn't coming to pc this year, we might have better graphics cards and cpus than the new consoles, but the consoles will have super short load times.
Mangler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2020, 11:55 AM   #426
Nunz
RIP Roxen

Nunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand suns

Quote:
Originally Posted by acroig View Post
This has burned me ever since they said no online purchasing for the 3080, totally stupid.
I'm glad they didn't do online purchasing. Letting bots snag up every card was ****. At least Microcenter ****ed that up for them.

They've done **** the right way. Best Buy should have done the same.
"If you can't handle me when I'm bulking, you don't deserve me when I'm cut." -- Marilyn Monbroe
Nunz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2020, 12:09 PM   #427
acroig
Troll SMod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nunz View Post
I'm glad they didn't do online purchasing. Letting bots snag up every card was ****. At least Microcenter ****ed that up for them.

They've done **** the right way. Best Buy should have done the same.
They both could have done same thing EVGA did, put people in a queue for the product they wanted.

yoz
Old Nov 5, 2020, 12:11 PM   #428
Nunz
RIP Roxen

Nunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand suns

What's the point of having a store then? Maybe I don't want to sit playing the F5 game all day. There's plenty of options already if you want to do that.
"If you can't handle me when I'm bulking, you don't deserve me when I'm cut." -- Marilyn Monbroe
Old Nov 5, 2020, 12:13 PM   #429
Nascar24
EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 Ultra

Nascar24 can recite pi backwardsNascar24 can recite pi backwardsNascar24 can recite pi backwardsNascar24 can recite pi backwardsNascar24 can recite pi backwardsNascar24 can recite pi backwardsNascar24 can recite pi backwards

Still a few left but they are slowly going down, 5600X at my microcenter location will be gone soon.
Old Nov 5, 2020, 12:19 PM   #430
Nunz
RIP Roxen

The 5950X looks fantastic but I'm going to wait for AM5 to do a full rebuild. If AMD can rip this much performance out of AM4, dear God I can't wait to see what they do next year.
Old Nov 5, 2020, 12:21 PM   #431
KAC
It might be gays!

KAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dial

Thinking about cancelling my 5800X after that review.
KAC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2020, 12:22 PM   #432
Nascar24
EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 Ultra

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nunz View Post
The 5950X looks fantastic but I'm going to wait for AM5 to do a full rebuild. If AMD can rip this much performance out of AM4, dear God I can't wait to see what they do next year.
We need Graphics cards to pick up the pace for gaming as all that power just goes to waste if your main purpose is gaming.
Old Nov 5, 2020, 12:23 PM   #433
Nascar24
EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 Ultra

Quote:
Originally Posted by KAC View Post
Thinking about cancelling my 5800X after that review.
You game at 1440 so there are gains for you, I don't do anything other then 4k so the upgrade is useless for even my 3700X.
Old Nov 5, 2020, 01:04 PM   #434
Shapeshifter
Radeon Arctic Islands

Shapeshifter doesn't need no stinkin' badgesShapeshifter doesn't need no stinkin' badgesShapeshifter doesn't need no stinkin' badgesShapeshifter doesn't need no stinkin' badgesShapeshifter doesn't need no stinkin' badgesShapeshifter doesn't need no stinkin' badgesShapeshifter doesn't need no stinkin' badgesShapeshifter doesn't need no stinkin' badgesShapeshifter doesn't need no stinkin' badges

Only Anandtech as far as I have seen so far is actually, you know Testing the bloody CPU and not the GPU.

They dropped resolution as low as 360p which basically fully decouples the GPU from the equation as much as possible.

Rage3d is the BEST forum!! There are alot of smart people on here!! -phexus

Last edited by Shapeshifter : Nov 5, 2020 at 01:12 PM.
Shapeshifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2020, 01:33 PM   #435
Higgy10
Radeon Arctic Islands

Higgy10 can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundHiggy10 can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundHiggy10 can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundHiggy10 can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundHiggy10 can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundHiggy10 can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundHiggy10 can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundHiggy10 can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundHiggy10 can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundHiggy10 can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundHiggy10 can leap small-ish buildings in a single bound

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shapeshifter View Post
Only Anandtech as far as I have seen so far is actually, you know Testing the bloody CPU and not the GPU.

They dropped resolution as low as 360p which basically fully decouples the GPU from the equation as much as possible.
computerbase.de has 720p results
https://www.computerbase.de/2020-11/...l_core_in_720p
Higgy10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2020, 01:49 PM   #436
Shapeshifter
Radeon Arctic Islands

Shapeshifter doesn't need no stinkin' badgesShapeshifter doesn't need no stinkin' badgesShapeshifter doesn't need no stinkin' badgesShapeshifter doesn't need no stinkin' badgesShapeshifter doesn't need no stinkin' badgesShapeshifter doesn't need no stinkin' badgesShapeshifter doesn't need no stinkin' badgesShapeshifter doesn't need no stinkin' badgesShapeshifter doesn't need no stinkin' badges

Quote:
Originally Posted by Higgy10 View Post
nice to see more places need to do this.

I see way way to many people arguing it's pointless to test at low resolutions, even saying 1080p is pointless that everything should be tested at 1440p and 4k.

Try to point out to them it becomes a bottleneck GPU test then and they don't get it, even after showing 4k gaming charts going back to like the 2600k and how little difference there is.

CPU test not GPU

They still don't get it.

Rage3d is the BEST forum!! There are alot of smart people on here!! -phexus
Shapeshifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2020, 01:52 PM   #437
KAC
It might be gays!

KAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dial

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shapeshifter View Post
nice to see more places need to do this.

I see way way to many people arguing it's pointless to test at low resolutions, even saying 1080p is pointless that everything should be tested at 1440p and 4k.

Try to point out to them it becomes a bottleneck GPU test then and they don't get it, even after showing 4k gaming charts going back to like the 2600k and how little difference there is.

CPU test not GPU

They still don't get it.
People are focused on their use cases not arbitrary bullshit that they will never attempt.
Old Nov 5, 2020, 01:59 PM   #438
the_sextein
Radeon Southern Islands

the_sextein knows why the caged bird singsthe_sextein knows why the caged bird singsthe_sextein knows why the caged bird singsthe_sextein knows why the caged bird singsthe_sextein knows why the caged bird singsthe_sextein knows why the caged bird sings

Looks like AMD finally focused on bringing actual benefit to home users who do a little photo and video editing as well as general usage and gaming. Looks like the 5900X will be about 5% to 10% faster than an overclocked 10900K at gaming. It's nice to see AMD actually push the PC gaming industry forward for a change.

I usually buy a new CPU when my current CPU becomes the bottleneck in my system, so buying a CPU that is 10% faster at 1080P just means that it will last longer before eventually bottlenecking the system at 4K in a few years vs the 10% slower chip. You get more for your money and AMD is now offering performance leadership in all areas of the PC on a platform that is fairly stable. It's prices have creeped up but that is what happens when the competition isn't doing much in terms of core counts. Either way AMD is clearly the "go to" chip manufacturer for PC gaming at the moment as there is no point in paying similar money for a chip that is 10% slower than the 5900X from Intel.
the_sextein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2020, 02:06 PM   #439
KAC
It might be gays!

Guys any good reviews to read through. I love the techpowerup reviews which basically state that I will lose performance of about 1% going with this 5800X at 1440P since 5800X OC vs stock 8700K is like 1.3% difference. I get about 2-3% higher performance than stock using a 8086K @ 4.9 GHz.

Really am not seeing the point of throwing away $1000 right now. Someone convince me otherwise.
Old Nov 5, 2020, 02:08 PM   #440
the_sextein
Radeon Southern Islands

the_sextein knows why the caged bird singsthe_sextein knows why the caged bird singsthe_sextein knows why the caged bird singsthe_sextein knows why the caged bird singsthe_sextein knows why the caged bird singsthe_sextein knows why the caged bird sings

Quote:
Guys any good reviews to read through. I love the techpowerup reviews which basically state that I will lose performance of about 1% going with this 5800X at 1440P since 5800X OC vs stock 8700K is like 1.3% difference. I get about 2-3% higher performance than stock using a 8086K @ 4.9 GHz.

Really am not seeing the point of throwing away $1000 right now. Someone convince me otherwise.
If you remain GPU bottlenecked at the resolution you play at then there is no real point in upgrading. If you are bottlenecked by your current CPU then buy the fastest CPU you can afford at the moment to replace it.
Old Nov 5, 2020, 02:08 PM   #441
KAC
It might be gays!

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_sextein View Post
Looks like AMD finally focused on bringing actual benefit to home users who do a little photo and video editing as well as general usage and gaming. Looks like the 5900X will be about 5% to 10% faster than an overclocked 10900K at gaming. It's nice to see AMD actually push the PC gaming industry forward for a change.

I usually buy a new CPU when my current CPU becomes the bottleneck in my system, so buying a CPU that is 10% faster at 1080P just means that it will last longer before eventually bottlenecking the system at 4K in a few years vs the 10% slower chip. You get more for your money and AMD is now offering performance leadership in all areas of the PC on a platform that is fairly stable. It's prices have creeped up but that is what happens when the competition isn't doing much in terms of core counts. Either way AMD is clearly the "go to" chip manufacturer for PC gaming at the moment as there is no point in paying similar money for a chip that is 10% slower than the 5900X from Intel.
Where are you seeing 5-10%? Link to review?
Old Nov 5, 2020, 02:11 PM   #442
Nascar24
EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 Ultra

Quote:

If that's the only difference your seeing in reviews cancel it, I'm not going to throw away $300 because there is no difference at 4K.
Old Nov 5, 2020, 02:16 PM   #443
the_sextein
Radeon Southern Islands

Quote:
Where are you seeing 5-10%? Link to review?
Sorry, I was going by Gamer's Nexus review of the 5950X. Now that I went to techpowerup and checked the 5900X review I see that it's not as powerful as the 5950X at gaming so I was wrong for jumping to conclusions.

According to techpowerup the 5900X is still slower than my 2 year old 9900K. God dam that sucks. I thought AMD finally decided to push PC gaming forward instead of releasing a CPU late that is content to keep up with old Intel tech that has been out for years. That's disappointing. Looks like you will have to spend $750 for a chip with a bunch of cores you will never use to beat Intel's 2 year old 9900K at gaming.
Old Nov 5, 2020, 02:17 PM   #444
Nascar24
EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 Ultra

Quote:
Sorry, I was going by Gamer's Nexus review of the 5950X. Now that I went to techpowerup and checked the 5900X review I see that it's not as powerful as the 5950X at gaming so I was wrong for jumping to conclusions.

According to techpowerup the 5900X is still slower than my 2 year old 9900K. God dam that sucks. I thought AMD finally decided to push PC gaming forward instead of releasing a CPU late that is content to keep up with old Intel tech that has been out for years. That's disappointing.
If you want to spend Intel type money for the real upgrade then it is there with the 5950X. Hell the $300 5600X keeps up and beats the 10900K many times.
Old Nov 5, 2020, 02:24 PM   #445
KAC
It might be gays!

But my 8086K already beats a stock 10850K in gaming (with the default 5.1 boost). I bench higher for almost all games compared to reviews with exception of Gears 5 which I can’t figure out what I am doing wrong.

Compared to an OC 10850K I am about 4-6% behind based on game. Also everyone is saying overclocking the 5900X doesn’t mean anything. Plus I ordered a 5800X and not a 5900X which has 4 less cores for 100 bucks less. So I am not feeling too hot about that as well.
Old Nov 5, 2020, 02:24 PM   #446
the_sextein
Radeon Southern Islands

The 9900K was $500 2 years ago. The 5900X is $550 and still can't beat it according to techpowerup. You can buy a 9900K for $390 now but I wouldn't recommend it now that it's two years old.
Old Nov 5, 2020, 02:26 PM   #447
the_sextein
Radeon Southern Islands

Quote:
But my 8086K already beats a stock 10850K in gaming (with the default 5.1 boost). I bench higher for almost all games compared to reviews with exception of Gears 5 which I can’t figure out what I am doing wrong.

Compared to an OC 10850K I am about 4-6% behind based on game. Also everyone is saying overclocking the 5900X doesn’t mean anything. Plus I ordered a 5800X and not a 5900X which has 4 less cores for 100 bucks less. So I am not feeling too hot about that as well.
Looks like a waste of money to me. I'd wait for something better if I were in your shoes.
Old Nov 5, 2020, 02:37 PM   #448
KAC
It might be gays!

Hmm, I just need to see 1 more review that does proper gaming benches. None of that 1080P bullshit that I don’t care about.

Thanks for the advice. I am 1 click away from cancelling my order.
Old Nov 5, 2020, 02:40 PM   #449
Higgy10
Radeon Arctic Islands

Higgy10 can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundHiggy10 can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundHiggy10 can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundHiggy10 can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundHiggy10 can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundHiggy10 can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundHiggy10 can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundHiggy10 can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundHiggy10 can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundHiggy10 can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundHiggy10 can leap small-ish buildings in a single bound

Quote:
Hmm, I just need to see 1 more review that does proper gaming benches. None of that 1080P bullshit that I don’t care about.

Thanks for the advice. I am 1 click away from cancelling my order.
did you read the computerbase review link i posted? they have tests at 4k

so does guru3d
Higgy10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2020, 02:42 PM   #450
CurrentlyPissed
Mad, not drunk.

CurrentlyPissed is not someone to be trifled withCurrentlyPissed is not someone to be trifled withCurrentlyPissed is not someone to be trifled withCurrentlyPissed is not someone to be trifled withCurrentlyPissed is not someone to be trifled withCurrentlyPissed is not someone to be trifled withCurrentlyPissed is not someone to be trifled withCurrentlyPissed is not someone to be trifled with

Quote:

According to techpowerup the 5900X is still slower than my 2 year old 9900K. God dam that sucks. I thought AMD finally decided to push PC gaming forward instead of releasing a CPU late that is content to keep up with old Intel tech that has been out for years. That's disappointing. Looks like you will have to spend $750 for a chip with a bunch of cores you will never use to beat Intel's 2 year old 9900K at gaming.
Wait, what?

You can't actually still be trying to make this argument. You would have to be the most blatant biased blinded fanboy in existence if this is real.
Quote:
An arrow can only be shot by pulling it back. Remember when life is dragging you back, you are just moments away from springing forward.

So keep aiming.

-Interwebz
CurrentlyPissed is offline   Reply With Quote