Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Gaming and Computing Forums » PC Gaming
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

PC Gaming Discuss all PC games, past and present. Talk about your favorite games, share tips and strategies, and anything else relating to computer games.

Old Jun 16, 2021, 05:11 PM   #1
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
Crawdaddy79
Radeon 8500

Crawdaddy79 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Crawdaddy79 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Crawdaddy79 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Crawdaddy79 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Crawdaddy79 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Crawdaddy79 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

Default Cruelty Squad

Right now this game is getting a lot of attention on Steam, with a 97%+ positivity rating. It looks absolutely awful. I've been in a lull where I have piles of games but feel like playing none of them, but I think this game might fix my issue, and I'm not sure why.

A review by FrostyDog:
Like a confetti cannon if the confetti was mixed with hundred dollar bills and freshly extracted human teeth. The dev put an incredible amount of thought and effort into every aspect of this game and then put twice as much thought and effort into making it look like they didn't. It's the ultimate filter, as though the entire game in itself is its own unreliable narrator; you cannot take anything about its appearance or presentation at face value. Everything in this game has a purpose, there is internally consistent logic and reason behind every aesthetic and mechanical decision made here, but it will actively resist your attempts to piece it together.

Looking through the forums, I found this post:

Quote:
Originally Posted by finkfinkbinorsomething
It's legitimately a very good game. That part isn't a joke. The gameplay is good and the visuals are meant to be that way. You get the hang of them. It's better in motion, and better still in motion and under your control. It very quickly starts to feel natural.

It's not a joke game, either. It's funny, and absurd, but it's also serious.

The reviews are positive for good reason, even if the reviewers can't express why and end up making jokes about it.
I am beyond intrigued.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1...Cruelty_Squad/
Crawdaddy79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 16, 2021, 05:19 PM   #2
Munkus
Hugged your dog lately?

Munkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of Reputation

Looks like a game that requires the player to be on LSD in order to understand and enjoy it.
Munkus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 16, 2021, 05:34 PM   #3
Greasy
Raiding Curio's Stable

Greasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppersGreasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppersGreasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppersGreasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppersGreasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppersGreasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppersGreasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppersGreasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppersGreasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppersGreasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppersGreasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppers

My kids would probably love it...

AMD and Nvidia need to branch out, because dummies these days love **** that looks like this!
Greasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Jun 16, 2021, 06:15 PM   #4
logical
What is my purpose?

logical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pm

Garbage

logical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 16, 2021, 06:28 PM   #5
xCLAVEx
Will not conform

xCLAVEx once held a door open for a complete strangerxCLAVEx once held a door open for a complete strangerxCLAVEx once held a door open for a complete strangerxCLAVEx once held a door open for a complete stranger

That game looks really bad. Even during the days of Quake 2 it would have looked dated. It would be hard to look beyond that to be honest for an FPS game.

"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that."
~George Carlin
xCLAVEx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 16, 2021, 09:50 PM   #6
Crawdaddy79
Radeon 8500

Crawdaddy79 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Crawdaddy79 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Crawdaddy79 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Crawdaddy79 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Crawdaddy79 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Crawdaddy79 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

Bought it.

Learning some of the mechanics makes it easier. You can consume dead bodies for 1 HP, for instance, and the organs left over (random) you can sell on the market, or hold onto them and wait for a higher price. You can also invest in stocks, and so far, buy low, sell high seems to work best.

Seems impossibly difficult at first, but once you die 3 or 5 times, they stop charging you money to regenerate your body, and all debt you've accrued is erased it gets much easier.

Controls are quirky.

Engine is exactly like Messiah's. I'm surprised there's no mention of it.
Old Jun 17, 2021, 01:44 AM   #7
Sundance Kid V2
Your daddy!

Sundance Kid V2 glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsSundance Kid V2 glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsSundance Kid V2 glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsSundance Kid V2 glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsSundance Kid V2 glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsSundance Kid V2 glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsSundance Kid V2 glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsSundance Kid V2 glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsSundance Kid V2 glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsSundance Kid V2 glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsSundance Kid V2 glows with the radiance of a thousand suns

wtf ....
Sundance Kid V2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 17, 2021, 04:05 AM   #8
Thr0tt
Radeon Arctic Islands

Thr0tt can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyThr0tt can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyThr0tt can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Thought someone resurrected the 1980's for a second there.
Old Jun 17, 2021, 06:55 AM   #9
Sundance Kid V2
Your daddy!

Sundance Kid V2 glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsSundance Kid V2 glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsSundance Kid V2 glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsSundance Kid V2 glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsSundance Kid V2 glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsSundance Kid V2 glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsSundance Kid V2 glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsSundance Kid V2 glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsSundance Kid V2 glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsSundance Kid V2 glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsSundance Kid V2 glows with the radiance of a thousand suns

don't think 80s looked so bad.
Old Jun 17, 2021, 07:03 AM   #10
Silent-Runner
nulli secundus

Silent-Runner considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestSilent-Runner considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestSilent-Runner considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestSilent-Runner considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestSilent-Runner considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestSilent-Runner considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestSilent-Runner considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestSilent-Runner considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestSilent-Runner considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestSilent-Runner considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestSilent-Runner considers Jack Bauer an amateur at best

i'm not surprised that, of all ragers, craw bought that game and is enjoying it. I simply wouldn't be able to stand that uuuuhmmm graphic fidelity.

Have fun with it, Craw!

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۞۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

"Humans need fantasy to be human. To be the place where the falling angel meets the rising ape" *Sir Terry Pratchett*

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۞۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
Silent-Runner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 17, 2021, 11:55 AM   #11
logical
What is my purpose?

logical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pm

It really looks like a mod for UT 1999 where someone didnt know what they were doing and released it anyway.

Comments are probably some organized people who thought it would be funny to say this game is good.

Old Jun 17, 2021, 12:45 PM   #12
theshadowcult
Radeon Arctic Islands

theshadowcult doesn't need no stinkin' badgestheshadowcult doesn't need no stinkin' badgestheshadowcult doesn't need no stinkin' badgestheshadowcult doesn't need no stinkin' badgestheshadowcult doesn't need no stinkin' badgestheshadowcult doesn't need no stinkin' badgestheshadowcult doesn't need no stinkin' badgestheshadowcult doesn't need no stinkin' badges

Quote:
Originally Posted by logical View Post
It really looks like a mod for UT 1999 where someone didnt know what they were doing and released it anyway.

Comments are probably some organized people who thought it would be funny to say this game is good.
I dont know. 1400 "likes" at 98% is kind of hard to pull off.
Old Jun 17, 2021, 02:30 PM   #13
logical
What is my purpose?

Quote:
Originally Posted by theshadowcult View Post
I dont know. 1400 "likes" at 98% is kind of hard to pull off.
Yeah it's too suspect though. Too high for such a new and unheard of game that quite frankly looks like ****. If I were a betting man I'd bet theres something making the numbers go artificially up vs it actually being a 98% game.

Old Jun 17, 2021, 02:39 PM   #14
theshadowcult
Radeon Arctic Islands

theshadowcult doesn't need no stinkin' badgestheshadowcult doesn't need no stinkin' badgestheshadowcult doesn't need no stinkin' badgestheshadowcult doesn't need no stinkin' badgestheshadowcult doesn't need no stinkin' badgestheshadowcult doesn't need no stinkin' badgestheshadowcult doesn't need no stinkin' badgestheshadowcult doesn't need no stinkin' badges

Quote:
Yeah it's too suspect though. Too high for such a new and unheard of game that quite frankly looks like ****. If I were a betting man I'd bet theres something making the numbers go artificially up vs it actually being a 98% game.
While possible, i have definitely seen legit indie games with 2000 odd positives getting aroun the 95% mark out of no where. Been quite a few of them actually.
Old Jun 17, 2021, 02:59 PM   #15
Sundance Kid V2
Your daddy!

Quote:
Maybe they buy votes (like youtube/fb/twitter bots)
Old Jun 17, 2021, 04:19 PM   #16
Crawdaddy79
Radeon 8500

Quote:

I haven't played a lot of it, but I know what you're talking about. The whole thing is painful to look at, but the difference is those UT maps were rife with "f*** you" elements like pinstripe thin bridges over lava or intangible floor textures that intentionally dropped you into oblivion. So far, there is none of that here and it's pacing out to be very Metroid-like with the different upgrades you can give your character and different weapons you can collect that allow you to go back to previous levels and find new things that help you get to other new things in future levels.

The music is god-awful as well.
Old Jun 17, 2021, 05:07 PM   #17
Sundance Kid V2
Your daddy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawdaddy79 View Post
I haven't played a lot of it, but I know what you're talking about. The whole thing is painful to look at, but the difference is those UT maps were rife with "f*** you" elements like pinstripe thin bridges over lava or intangible floor textures that intentionally dropped you into oblivion. So far, there is none of that here and it's pacing out to be very Metroid-like with the different upgrades you can give your character and different weapons you can collect that allow you to go back to previous levels and find new things that help you get to other new things in future levels.

The music is god-awful as well.
Old Jul 6, 2021, 09:53 AM   #18
theshadowcult
Radeon Arctic Islands