Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Community and Site Discussions » Off Topic Lounge
Rage3D Subscribe FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Off Topic Lounge Discuss anything you want here folks. A place for computer junkies to boldly post Off Topic... Rant and rave if it is necessary, but just try to keep it clean!

Old May 18, 2006, 03:34 PM   #1
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
WilyCoder
Banned

WilyCoder is still being judged by the masses

Default Warhammer 40,000

By a strange sequence of coincidences, I've become interested in Warhammer 40,000. I've already bought the rulebook and the Codex for the Chaos Space Marines. Does anyone on Rage play?

I'm refering to the tabletop game, not the PC game (although I hear the PC game is pretty good).

Last edited by WilyCoder : May 18, 2006 at 03:38 PM.
WilyCoder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18, 2006, 04:17 PM   #2
DaJMasta
Baffoonist

DaJMasta doesn't need no stinkin' badgesDaJMasta doesn't need no stinkin' badgesDaJMasta doesn't need no stinkin' badgesDaJMasta doesn't need no stinkin' badgesDaJMasta doesn't need no stinkin' badgesDaJMasta doesn't need no stinkin' badgesDaJMasta doesn't need no stinkin' badgesDaJMasta doesn't need no stinkin' badgesDaJMasta doesn't need no stinkin' badges

I may be getting back into it sometime soon (played Eldar and Tyranids for a while, but it got VERY expensive and I take forever to paint my stuff).

It's a fairly complex and very time/money consuming hobby to get into, but if you have some friends who do, or a local game store to play games with people, it can be quite fun.

You may want to check out their main website: http://www.games-workshop.com/
or if you're interested in more obscure units:
http://www.forgeworld.co.uk/

I would reccomend getting a few troops and trying to get a hold on the rule and turn structure. Then maybe get a few from a different race and play friends, or better yet, get some friends who play and play them to figure out the little quirks in gameplay, I used to refer to the book all the time, but as long as you're consistant, you can play really any rules you like.

Then the game stores or local tournaments are an option. I wouldn't reccomend those until you have a decent sized army, are fairly familliar with the rules, and know a little strategy. Depending on where you go, they may not be interested in taking time to start someone new to the hobby.
Desktop: Intel Core i7 7770k : 16GB EVGA DDR4 2400 : Gigabyte GTX 1070 Ti Windforce X2 : Gigabyte GA-H270-WIFI : AudioQuest DragonFly DAC : Samsung SM961 NVMe 1TB SSD : Corsair Builder 500W PSU : Samsung 1440p 32" Monitor : Klipsch Promedia 2.1 : Windows 10 Pro x64
Tablet: Microsoft Surface Pro 4 : Intel Core i5-6300U : 8GB DDR3 : Intel 520 Integrated : 256GB SSD : 12.3" 2736x1824 display : Windows 10 Pro x64
HTPC: Intel Core i3 3225 : HD 4000 integrated : 8GB Samsung DDR3 1600 : Gigabyte H77N-Wifi : 120GB Sandisk Extreme SSD : 80W power brick and picoPSU150 XT : Integrated HD Audio : Scepter 32" LCD TV : Logitech Z313 2.1 : Windows 7 Pro x64

DaJMasta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18, 2006, 05:05 PM   #3
Lunar Wolf
arr ye scurvy noobs!!1

Lunar Wolf is still being judged by the masses

kiss all your time & money good bye...

Last edited by Lunar Wolf : May 18, 2006 at 05:13 PM.
Lunar Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old May 18, 2006, 05:13 PM   #4
sittal
Radeon Arctic Islands

sittal can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultysittal can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultysittal can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

missed the edit, i'll delete my post
sittal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18, 2006, 05:42 PM   #5
Kagtooth
Please, call me Kag

Kagtooth is still being judged by the masses

I used to play all the time when I was younger. Entered loads of tournaments...and won!! Imperial Guard Catachan Jungle fighters.

But...shhhh...its geeky

The Seeker is the Sought.
Kagtooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18, 2006, 05:58 PM   #6
SixtySeven
play loud!

SixtySeven is still being judged by the masses

Risk is the best tabletop game.

Ever.
Old May 18, 2006, 06:13 PM   #7
ShaidarHaran
Radeon Arctic Islands

ShaidarHaran once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'ShaidarHaran once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'ShaidarHaran once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'ShaidarHaran once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'ShaidarHaran once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'ShaidarHaran once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

Quote:
Originally Posted by SixtySeven
Risk is the best tabletop game.

Ever.
Very true.
Old May 18, 2006, 07:40 PM   #8
bete
Huh?

bete considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestbete considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestbete considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestbete considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestbete considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestbete considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestbete considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestbete considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestbete considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestbete considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestbete considers Jack Bauer an amateur at best

^^^Most true.

Picking the perfect time to take that continent making border country from your ally....Muhahaha. Then power move mass armies to it so he can't get it back
bete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18, 2006, 07:56 PM   #9
Aneska
Radeon Volcanic Islands

Aneska kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshAneska kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshAneska kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshAneska kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshAneska kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshAneska kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshAneska kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshAneska kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshAneska kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshAneska kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh

I used to play it. I havent had time in a while. At the goblin shoppe they have tournaments.
Old May 18, 2006, 07:59 PM   #10
BikeRacks

BikeRacks once held a door open for a complete strangerBikeRacks once held a door open for a complete strangerBikeRacks once held a door open for a complete stranger

I remember back in the day when me and my friends were into warhammer 40k, I had a Dark Eldar army (like 2,000 point army, i'm not sure its been awhile). But yeah those were the good old days when I actually had time to spend on making and painting models all day.

I was also into Warhammer fantasy which almost equally as fun, but since it wasn't as popular as 40k it was hard to get into.
BikeRacks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18, 2006, 08:03 PM   #11
WilyCoder
Banned

It was weird how I got introduced to Warhammer 40K. I was at the comic store (its a HUGE comic store), and bumped into an old friend who was hauling a crate into the store. I asked what the crate was for, and then he spent the next hour introducing me to the game.

At the comic store, they have 10 tables set up, and about 20 different full terrains to use (urban, desert, jungle, etc). You can walk in any time and play for free

I've decided on the Chaos Space Marines, I'm going to buy the starter pack tomorrow for $100, and the $40 intro paint set with clippers.
Old May 18, 2006, 08:50 PM   #12
BikeRacks

BikeRacks once held a door open for a complete strangerBikeRacks once held a door open for a complete strangerBikeRacks once held a door open for a complete stranger

Since your getting into it, From now on don't throw anything out (especially anything thats styrofoam, bottles, toilet paper rolls) they work excellent for making your own terrain, don't waste 20-50$ on terrain at the store when you can make stuff yourself that looks better.

have fun.
BikeRacks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18, 2006, 09:13 PM   #13
phial
no things

phial is still being judged by the masses

wow i just tried the demo of this video game and i think its one of the best strategy games ive ever played im going to have to buy this
Old May 18, 2006, 09:30 PM   #14
SubCog
Radeon Arctic Islands

SubCog doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSubCog doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSubCog doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSubCog doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSubCog doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSubCog doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSubCog doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSubCog doesn't need no stinkin' badges

I had some friends that played mechwarrior for awhile, and I played sometimes too. Although I never bought any of the figures, which is too bad 'cause they were friggin' sweet!

Ryzen 5 5600x - radeon 6700xt - 32 gigs memory

Nintendo: NES, SNES, N64, Gamecube, Wii, Wii U, Switch, Gameboy, Gameboy Pocket, Gameboy Color, Virtual Boy, 6 GBAs, DS, 3ds
Sega: Sega Master System, Genesis, 32x, Sega CD, Saturn, Dreamcast, Game Gear
Sony: PS1, PS2, PS3, PS4, PSP
Microsoft: og xbox, xbox360, xbone, series 3
Atari: Atari 2600, 7800
Neo Geo: Neo Geo Pocket Color
Other: Colecovision, Intellivision, Vectrex

riva tnt
tnt2
geforce2mx
kyro 2
radeon 8500
radeon 9600
radeon 9800pro
radeon x800pro
geforce 8800gtx
radeon 6850
radeon 280
radeon 580
radeon 6700xt
SubCog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19, 2006, 01:19 AM   #15
ASCI Blue
Grammar NAZI

ASCI Blue knows why the caged bird singsASCI Blue knows why the caged bird singsASCI Blue knows why the caged bird singsASCI Blue knows why the caged bird singsASCI Blue knows why the caged bird sings

Dark Angels, Deathwing (sub of DA), and Tau here.

Proud Creator of The Cock Crew (Sportbike Network) Preventing "gay friends." ...one pecker at a time.

bounty hunter
Quote:
kids are pretty much invincible, man I doubt even explosions can phase the little womb demons
battlenet: voxmortis, origin: asci_blue, steam: death_incarnate352
ASCI Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19, 2006, 11:56 AM   #16
shrike126
Chirp Chirp Mother****er

shrike126 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersshrike126 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersshrike126 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersshrike126 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersshrike126 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersshrike126 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersshrike126 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersshrike126 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersshrike126 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersshrike126 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersshrike126 has a basement full of buried neg-reppers

Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by phial
wow i just tried the demo of this video game and i think its one of the best strategy games ive ever played im going to have to buy this
Yes, Dawn of War is definitely one of the best strategy games I've ever played.
"I don't even wait. And when you're a star they let you do it. You can do anything."
"Grab them by the pussy."

~Donald J. Trump
Quote:
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe, is that so far none of it has tried to contact us." ~ Calvin & Hobbes
Quote:
"Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable." ~ John F. Kennedy (1962)
shrike126 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19, 2006, 12:03 PM   #17
Adanu
MRA in Residence

Adanu once held a door open for a complete strangerAdanu once held a door open for a complete strangerAdanu once held a door open for a complete strangerAdanu once held a door open for a complete stranger

I'm interested in getting into the whole theme, but not sure which race to explore first. The Tau seem more my style.
Adanu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19, 2006, 03:14 PM   #18
WilyCoder
Banned

Pick whichever one you like, be it looks or their tactics. Dont buy a race that's cheaper just to save money, you probably wont like it as much as what has already captured your interest (the TAU).

I bought my set earlier today and I'm going to build/paint it this weekend.

One of the dudes at the comic store said the TAU are great for long range attacks, but once you get close to them (assault), they get owned.

BTW, nice quote Brynn. I've had the original quote printed out and pinned to my cube at work for some time now.

Last edited by WilyCoder : May 19, 2006 at 03:24 PM.
Old May 19, 2006, 03:43 PM   #19
ASCI Blue
Grammar NAZI

ASCI Blue knows why the caged bird singsASCI Blue knows why the caged bird singsASCI Blue knows why the caged bird singsASCI Blue knows why the caged bird singsASCI Blue knows why the caged bird sings

Tau are a total ***** to play. Sure they shoot long distances but their ability to hit sucks. Although once you get good with Tau they're a scary army for sure. With the release of the new codex some of the stuff that made Tau almost impossible to use has been revamped so their prime ability (mobility) can be taken advantage of.

Proud Creator of The Cock Crew (Sportbike Network) Preventing "gay friends." ...one pecker at a time.

bounty hunter
Quote:
kids are pretty much invincible, man I doubt even explosions can phase the little womb demons
battlenet: voxmortis, origin: asci_blue, steam: death_incarnate352
ASCI Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19, 2006, 04:07 PM   #20
Unit01
Radeon Northern Islands

Unit01 is still being judged by the masses

Painting needs training
My interest in WH40K started with Dawn of War but i lack time to bother with the tabletop game. Though the books might be an idea
Or just buy some figures
Comp2: AMD Opteron 165 @ 2,0Ghz stock volt Asus A8N-32SLI Deluxe 2GB G.Skill PC4000
1x36GB Maxtor Atlas 15KII 1x147GB Maxtor Atlas 10KV xxxGB HD RAID Array(soon) ASUS EN7300GT Silent
Lapy1: HP NX9420 Core 2 Duo T5500 1x1024MB RAM 100GB HD X1600mobility
Unit01 is offline   Reply With Quote