Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Gaming and Computing Forums » Console Gaming
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Console Gaming A place to discuss our favourite past and present gaming consoles. Talk about your favorite games, get nostalgic and share tips and strategies.

Old Oct 28, 2013, 11:00 AM   #241
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
Meteor_of_War
USA-holes

Meteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppers

Fired the game up over the weekend, played a bit of stonefang tunnel and leveled up my longsword to +2. I was definitely in the wrong place with valley of defilement. I don't know why but I thought I couldn't get into any other archstones for some reason... though I may have been drunk that night. Ahh well, I had much fun in the limited time I played (was a busy weekend) and I think I am committed to playing this now once the World Series ends.
Meteor_of_War is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 28, 2013, 12:08 PM   #242
Lazy8s
One day at a time

Lazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dial

It's sure worth it. Granted it isn't DaS and you shouldn't expect the same level of polish and design, but still a great game with lots of good fun.
Lazy8s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 28, 2013, 11:36 PM   #243
shrike126
Chirp Chirp Mother****er

shrike126 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersshrike126 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersshrike126 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersshrike126 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersshrike126 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersshrike126 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersshrike126 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersshrike126 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersshrike126 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersshrike126 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersshrike126 has a basement full of buried neg-reppers

Subscriber

Well I met the Maneaters. ****.
"I don't even wait. And when you're a star they let you do it. You can do anything."
"Grab them by the pussy."

~Donald J. Trump
Quote:
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe, is that so far none of it has tried to contact us." ~ Calvin & Hobbes
Quote:
"Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable." ~ John F. Kennedy (1962)
shrike126 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Oct 29, 2013, 05:17 AM   #244
Lazy8s
One day at a time

Lazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dial

Couple of fun guys eh?

Do you have warding from sage freke? That helps a lot with those two. My strategy is to get to the center of the bridge and use the structure for cover, focus on one, then finish off the second. Patience and ranged combat help a lot.
Old Oct 29, 2013, 07:15 AM   #245
lviz
On my way

lviz is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcwood View Post
Couple of fun guys eh?

Do you have warding from sage freke? That helps a lot with those two. My strategy is to get to the center of the bridge and use the structure for cover, focus on one, then finish off the second. Patience and ranged combat help a lot.
There is also an unpatched bow glitch. I often use that to avoid frustration.
lviz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 29, 2013, 07:21 AM   #246
Lazy8s
One day at a time

Quote:
Originally Posted by lviz View Post
There is also an unpatched bow glitch. I often use that to avoid frustration.
Yep, I used that before too. I just didn't want to mention it just yet. I'll leave it here though, that fight can be as frustrating as they come for sure.

Shrike - if you walk up to the fog wall as far to the right as you can go, you can shoot arrows into the first maneater and kill it before ever going through the door.

EDIT: Summon me in and we'll lay waste to the bastids

Last edited by Lazy8s : Oct 29, 2013 at 11:05 AM.
Old Oct 29, 2013, 12:14 PM   #247
shrike126
Chirp Chirp Mother****er

shrike126 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersshrike126 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersshrike126 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersshrike126 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersshrike126 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersshrike126 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersshrike126 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersshrike126 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersshrike126 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersshrike126 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersshrike126 has a basement full of buried neg-reppers

Subscriber

So far I think I've tried about 5 times before turning in for the night. I've actually killed them 2 times successfully but only as a blue phantom helping someone else. At least in these instances, there was a second player to distract one of the Maneaters and I was a little more aggressive in taking out the first. The strange thing was being summoned half a dozen times to fight for the Old Monk. Once though I just stood there and the guy got owned by a squid-face dude and I got credit for it.

As for my attempts, I didn't try cheesing any of them. I think the part that's getting me is just losing track of the second guy while trying to melee down the first. I'll be on around 10pm ish tonight CST and can summon someone if you're game.

Right now I think I've killed 2 archdemons. I've killed the Maiden in the Valley of Defilement and the Dragon God in Stonefang Tunnels. I haven't gotten far into the Stormlands yet, Allant destroyed me the night I met him, and these Maneaters are in my way before I get to the Old Monk.
"I don't even wait. And when you're a star they let you do it. You can do anything."

~Donald J. Trump
Quote:
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe, is that so far none of it has tried to contact us." ~ Calvin & Hobbes
Quote:
"Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable." ~ John F. Kennedy (1962)

Last edited by shrike126 : Oct 29, 2013 at 12:16 PM.
Old Oct 29, 2013, 12:39 PM   #248
Lazy8s
One day at a time

lol, you're diving into this game much more than I have yet
Old Oct 29, 2013, 02:09 PM   #249
shrike126
Chirp Chirp Mother****er

Subscriber

Quote:
lol, you're diving into this game much more than I have yet
I tried Demon's Souls twice in the past. Both characters never made it much farther than Boletaria Palace. This time however, I can't stop. Every play session I figure I'll spend 30 minutes in it and come out 3 hours later. Last night I was gonna "just try" the section after the Fool's Idol Archstone and ended up cutting both chains, dropping the heart thing, then climbing up to challenge teh Maneaters. I didn't kill Yurt though after meeting him and now that I've read up a bit on it, I need to end that ****er soon. I'm really liking my Dark Silver Shield + Crescent Falchion build with putting extra points into Magic. Haven't found armor I've liked enough to replace my black leather gear though. And I still need to get that Talisman of the Beast.

~Donald J. Trump
Quote:
Quote:
Old Oct 29, 2013, 02:15 PM   #250
Lazy8s
One day at a time

Yurt is a bastard. Once I found out what he was about I backstabbed him to oblivion - giggling like a mad little schoolgirl.

My male characters I stick with the black leather, best overall imo. Female I use the binded chain from Miralda. Heck, made a female build just for that.

That dark silver shield is badass. Get the warding spell and you'll be unstoppable in pve. Except on high bridges where foes can push you off.

EDIT: Getting the ToB away from scirver can be a chore, especially in PBWT. He's tough. So is king doran.
Old Oct 29, 2013, 06:08 PM   #251
Lazy8s
One day at a time

I can't use a stone anywhere in the area of the maneater's / monks archstones??

I don't get it. I know I'm online because I was invaded, but blue or black stones don't work..will have to google this one.

EDIT: Looks like I have to be in soul form to invade or place soul sign, body form to be invaded or summon a BP.

Last edited by Lazy8s : Oct 29, 2013 at 06:12 PM.
Old Oct 29, 2013, 10:44 PM   #252
shrike126
Chirp Chirp Mother****er

Subscriber

I'll be on in a bit. I can stone and hang out by the entrance to Maneaters at the top of the stairs by the white shimmering door?

~Donald J. Trump
Quote:
Quote:
Old Oct 30, 2013, 05:44 AM   #253
Lazy8s
One day at a time

Quote:
Originally Posted by shrike126 View Post
I'll be on in a bit. I can stone and hang out by the entrance to Maneaters at the top of the stairs by the white shimmering door?
Sorry I missed ya buddy. I was hoping to jump in to help others, but fell asleep instead

I never did online in this game like I do DaS, had to figure out how, but everything is cleared in my game but for the false king. He's easy, but if I kill him it goes to NG+.

Might turn every level pure black for the phantoms...
Old Oct 30, 2013, 11:26 AM   #254
shrike126
Chirp Chirp Mother****er

Subscriber

Quote:
Sorry I missed ya buddy. I was hoping to jump in to help others, but fell asleep instead

I never did online in this game like I do DaS, had to figure out how, but everything is cleared in my game but for the false king. He's easy, but if I kill him it goes to NG+.

Might turn every level pure black for the phantoms...
Don't you have to kill the Old One after the False King to end the game?

It's alright, last night I tried the Maneaters a couple more times. On my 3rd attempt I saw a blue summon tag appear on the ground. He helped me finish those bastards off (he died but helped whittle them down enough). After that he popped up again before the Old Monk so I let him take on the PvP part. Which I'm thankful for because the guy was waiting behind the door with some AoE fire bullshit that was a sliver away from one-shotting me.

So last night, with some help of a random player, cleared out Maneaters, Old Monk, and then took down False King. Who... I might add... is a LONG DAMN FIGHT.

I think now the only archdemon I have left is the Stormking giant flying manta-ray looking dude.

~Donald J. Trump
Quote:
Quote:
Old Oct 30, 2013, 11:38 AM   #255
Lazy8s
One day at a time

Quote:
Originally Posted by shrike126 View Post
Don't you have to kill the Old One after the False King to end the game?

It's alright, last night I tried the Maneaters a couple more times. On my 3rd attempt I saw a blue summon tag appear on the ground. He helped me finish those bastards off (he died but helped whittle them down enough). After that he popped up again before the Old Monk so I let him take on the PvP part. Which I'm thankful for because the guy was waiting behind the door with some AoE fire bullshit that was a sliver away from one-shotting me.

So last night, with some help of a random player, cleared out Maneaters, Old Monk, and then took down False King. Who... I might add... is a LONG DAMN FIGHT.

I think now the only archdemon I have left is the Stormking giant flying manta-ray looking dude.
I don't know how that works. I thought that if all archdemons are dead and you let waxface bring you to the old one, you can't go back to the nexus...never tried tbh. Maybe I'll give it a shot tonight. False king goes down pretty quick with a bow build though. Heh, so does everything else...

I think I'll get to work finally maxing out my weapons then do the PBWT events. It's a pain manipulating the worlds, but fun after you do.

Besides, there's a BP in the valley who's weapon ignores something like 100% of your shield. She scares me lol, but I think I can take her down. I want that weapon...
Old Oct 30, 2013, 02:54 PM   #256
lviz
On my way

You can get back to Nexus from the Old One before you kill it, there is an archstone down there.

You can also return to the Nexus after defeating the last one e.g. with a shard of archstone. Not much point in doing so other than to go make the Northern Regalia, though. You cannot level up after opening the end game.
Old Oct 30, 2013, 03:50 PM   #257
Lazy8s
One day at a time

Hey thanks lviz. I may grab that NR and just hang out for co-op assists and try my hand at some pvp.

EDIT: I screwed it up and wound up in NG+

blah

Last edited by Lazy8s : Oct 30, 2013 at 05:00 PM.
Old Oct 31, 2013, 12:10 AM   #258
lviz
On my way

Happened to me too the first time I tried to make the NR. It's a bit tricky.
Old Oct 31, 2013, 02:01 AM   #259
shrike126
Chirp Chirp Mother****er

Subscriber

Now I'm kinda sad. I killed the storm king without thinking about it. Now I can't upgrade my stats at all. I ported back after seeing the Old One. I have the Blueblood Sword, Dark Silver Shield, Black Leather gear... etc. Not sure what to do before wrapping up.

~Donald J. Trump
Quote:
Quote:
Old Oct 31, 2013, 05:42 AM   #260
Lazy8s
One day at a time

You're well equipped for NG+

I started a new build after screwing mine up. Going a non traditional route though, just for grins and giggles.

Killed Ostrava right away for the key, going to backstab doran into next year. Start the game with his ring and armor plus the 27k souls I'll get.

After that, Astraea so I can make the blue blood sword, then lots of co-op after that
Old Nov 1, 2013, 10:00 AM   #261
Meteor_of_War
USA-holes

Meteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppers

Since the World Series is over (congrats Red Sox!) I played some last night after coming back from taking my little guy trick or treating.

I started on stonefang tunnel and got as far as beating the armored spider boss, so now I have the second bonfire open. I also upgraded longsword to +5 and my winged spear +3. Is it just me, or does it seem like those miner guys after the spider boss got tougher?? They seem to take a couple extra stabs to put down. I thought maybe my sword had degraded a lot but nope.
Old Nov 1, 2013, 10:24 AM   #262
Lazy8s
One day at a time

They're tougher. Winged spear (piercing damage) makes em cry though
Old Nov 1, 2013, 10:53 AM   #263
Meteor_of_War
USA-holes

Hey pcwood, I am starting to try to understand the new complexities of upgrading weapons in this one. I have been just using only hardstones/sharpstones so far for the game's beginning weapons like long sword and winged spear and saving my clearstones, dragonstones, etc for later on when I get better weaponry.

Any rules of thumb I should be aware of early on so I don't fall into any bad choices and upgrade the wrong weapons with wrong materials? I am planning to focus on STR for this build.
Old Nov 1, 2013, 10:59 AM   #264
Lazy8s
One day at a time

Very much worth using the wiki for upgrades.

STR is the best way to go imo, and crushing scales best with STR. Problem is shards are much harder to come by.

Quality scales with both STR and DEX and is usually what I go with for STR builds. My fav for a STR weapon is a qualiy claymore or bastard sword +5 coupled with a quality compound longbow.

Nothing you can't stop in the game with those.

EDIT: My last build used 32STR and 26DEX iirc. And endurance is even more vital in this game than in DaS.
Old Nov 1, 2013, 11:04 AM   #265
Meteor_of_War
USA-holes

Cool man. I have not consulted the Wiki for this one yet. As I did with Dark Souls, I will try to avoid it as much as possible to see what I can do with the game making my own choices, apart from some tips from you guys. I am just too afraid of not being able to resist clicking around and reading too much.

So can I start upgrading a bastard sword with clearstones right from the start? Or do I have to upgrade it to +5 with hardstones or something first for example.
Old Nov 1, 2013, 11:16 AM   #266
Lazy8s
One day at a time

Each upgrade will always show you the alternatives. Bastard sword, if I remember right, only needs to get to +3, as do several other weapons, and then you can choose quality. Once the alternatives are available, they'll be listed on the screen under the standard upgrade offered.

Just a quick tip, the drudge merchant that was in the first part of boletaria sells the clay for 6k once he shows up under the bridge. The bastard sword is good, but the clay stunlocks certain enemies much better, or it seems to anyway.

EDIT: Wish I had what I need to take screenshots on the PS3...

Last edited by Lazy8s : Nov 1, 2013 at 11:20 AM.
Old Nov 1, 2013, 11:21 AM   #267
Meteor_of_War
USA-holes

Ahh OK, yes I think I saw the option for quality open up already for my +5 long sword.

And thanks for the claymore tip. I'll go get that and upgrade it instead of the bastard sword.

Can't wait to play this weekend.
Old Nov 1, 2013, 11:26 AM   #268
Lazy8s
One day at a time

I just finished a run through and screwed myself into NG+, so I'm jumping back in too.

World tendencies can be a bitch and a blast at the same time

If you die in human form enough in a world, you'll go back in to find enemies that weren't there before, and are a good deal tougher than the vanillas - makes for an interesting game.
Old Nov 1, 2013, 11:30 AM   #269
Meteor_of_War
USA-holes

I do not yet understand that game mechanic at all. Must be too early on for me.

Also it seems I am always in human form.
Old Nov 1, 2013, 11:56 AM   #270
Lazy8s
One day at a time

When you begin and you health is at half, you're in soul form.

When you kill a level boss or use a stone of ephemeral eyes, you regain your "live" status, and full health.

If you are in soul form, number of times you die doesn't affect world tendency.

In live form, dieing shifts the world towards pure black while killing black phantoms, primal demons and level bosses shifts the world towards pure white.

There are some areas, like the gate at the very beginning of the game (you can see all the items in that field by the gallows) that the world must be pure white to access. Other events must be pure black, or one shade removed from black.

On your start menu, 2nd item from right, shows the archstones and what color they are.

The good - manipulating world tendencies is not necessary to beat the game.

The bad - there are some sweet items you need to shift tendencies for to get access too.

Hope that helps. I usually beat a level, do all the "white" tendencies I can, then turn the world black by regaining my human status and dying several times, go to the nexus and then back to the world. Kill black phantoms and have fun