Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Gaming and Computing Forums » PC Gaming
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

PC Gaming Discuss all PC games, past and present. Talk about your favorite games, share tips and strategies, and anything else relating to computer games.

Old Sep 15, 2021, 09:37 AM   #181
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
Meteor_of_War
USA-holes

Meteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppers

One trend I've been noticing so far with the boss fights to this point is I can very rarely get greedy with a barrage of attacks all at once. They seem to always have an answer for that hyper-armoring through it and mess me up dealing massive damage.

I've only been successful when doing quick one or two hit at a time approaches, then quickly running away. Like I said before, basically stick and move type tactics.

I'm sure there are ways to deal more damage faster to bosses in this game and I bet if I looked up some videos I'd find people absolutely wrecking the bosses in no time, but I haven't figured it out yet. I'll just continue what works for me until then.
Meteor_of_War is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 15, 2021, 11:44 AM   #182
Lazy8s
One day at a time

Lazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dial

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meteor_of_War View Post
One trend I've been noticing so far with the boss fights to this point is I can very rarely get greedy with a barrage of attacks all at once. They seem to always have an answer for that hyper-armoring through it and mess me up dealing massive damage.

I've only been successful when doing quick one or two hit at a time approaches, then quickly running away. Like I said before, basically stick and move type tactics.

I'm sure there are ways to deal more damage faster to bosses in this game and I bet if I looked up some videos I'd find people absolutely wrecking the bosses in no time, but I haven't figured it out yet. I'll just continue what works for me until then.
It's largely build dependent, similar to souls, with other options added in. I prefer a spirit based build early on in this game. Joking aside, Nue was only tough until I used the moment talisman (I called it the guardian spirit talisman earlier, but that's 2's name for it) on it while having Fuse-Ushi equipped, which is earth based. That did indeed just wreck Nue.

The good thing is the moment talisman is not build dependent, although some guardian spirits have specs to unlock everything they offer. Try a talisman out on any random enemy. Some spirits will burn or electrocute your enemy while others like Fuse-ushi just knocks them flying or kills their ki fast.
Lazy8s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 15, 2021, 12:51 PM   #183
Meteor_of_War
USA-holes

Meteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppers

I think I did try using a moment talisman in one of my attempts vs Nue, but I still ended up dieing.

I'll for sure look into using them more often. Also I believe I can unlock skills to prepare them at shrines, rather than relying on finding them in the world which is nice. I'm always hesitant to use consumables for fear of wasting them on a bad boss run.

That said, when I was speaking about not being able to deal much damage I was mainly talking about straight up melee attacks. But I am starting to learn that I really need to make use of guardian spirits in this game. I need to work on that soon too, because I don't want to get most of the way through the game and only really discover their potential at the end. Seems a lot more fun can be had if I implement them into my play style. I just still have some lessons to learn of the game mechanics.
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Sep 15, 2021, 06:11 PM   #184
Lazy8s
One day at a time

Lazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dial

The spirits are really an amazing addition to the game. With the right stats for a particular spirit, you can get pretty substantial and permanent (as long as that spirit is equipped) buffs to a build. And the elemental attacks some of them deal to certain enemies is just devastating.
Old Sep 16, 2021, 03:57 AM   #185
theshadowcult
Radeon Arctic Islands

theshadowcult doesn't need no stinkin' badgestheshadowcult doesn't need no stinkin' badgestheshadowcult doesn't need no stinkin' badgestheshadowcult doesn't need no stinkin' badgestheshadowcult doesn't need no stinkin' badgestheshadowcult doesn't need no stinkin' badgestheshadowcult doesn't need no stinkin' badgestheshadowcult doesn't need no stinkin' badges

I only remember having just one spirit at the point of that fight, and the buff was basic at best. Where do you get them all from? Maybe i'll go back and actually finish the game.
Old Sep 16, 2021, 04:27 AM   #186
Lazy8s
One day at a time

Quote:
Originally Posted by theshadowcult View Post
I only remember having just one spirit at the point of that fight, and the buff was basic at best. Where do you get them all from? Maybe i'll go back and actually finish the game.
You get Fuse-Ushi from the Deep in the Shadows mission. It’s one of the best in the early game imo. So kill hino-Enma and stock up on moment talismans
Old Sep 16, 2021, 06:59 AM   #187
Lazy8s
One day at a time

Having Nioh issues…it played fine but for one crash on the new laptop, played through to way of the demon on my old pc and suddenly it won’t launch.

Verified files, deleted/reinstalled, rescued a kodama and nothing…I’ll have to troubleshoot it after work.

Nioh 2 otoh runs spectacularly on the new lappy…

Edit: Seems it’s a fairly common issue these days…

Last edited by Lazy8s : Sep 16, 2021 at 07:18 AM.
Old Sep 16, 2021, 09:36 AM   #188
Meteor_of_War
USA-holes

So on your old desktop PC it suddenly just wont launch anymore?

Is it crashing at start up, or simply not even launching when you click the button in Steam?

I actually recently had issues with games not launching and it turned out to be a very elaborate and complex issue with corrupted DirectX files. Only thing that fully solved it was a fresh reinstall of Windows. Not saying this is the same problem you are having but just sharing my experience.
Old Sep 16, 2021, 09:40 AM   #189
Lazy8s
One day at a time

Just on the laptop. It crashed that one time, after which I updated the drivers, then ran just fine until yesterday afternoon. I'll get either a no launch at all, or the settings menu launches, but the game won't.

From what I'm reading Nioh 1 on pc seems to have a real issue with 1080p, so I'm going to give 1440p a shot here soon and see if that's really it.
Old Sep 16, 2021, 09:45 AM   #190
Meteor_of_War
USA-holes

Oh OK, guess I read your post wrong.

Well good luck. Try all the suggested fixes posted online and hopefully you can narrow it down and find the culprit. It is weird for it to suddenly stop launching.
Old Sep 16, 2021, 10:29 AM   #191
Lazy8s
One day at a time

Quote:
Oh OK, guess I read your post wrong.

Well good luck. Try all the suggested fixes posted online and hopefully you can narrow it down and find the culprit. It is weird for it to suddenly stop launching.
I played for 20 minutes at lunch and 1440p in game setting. Ran perfectly. My laptop is 1080p, but when I connected the cx55 I set it to 1440p. After disconnecting the TV I set the game back to 1080p and that’s when it began to not launch.

So I just set the game to 1440p thinking it wouldn’t launch due to the native screen Rez, but it did. Maybe the NV driver scaled it to 1080p? I don’t know, but I can confirm Nioh doesn’t like 1080p in game setting.

Weird, but it seems ok now.
Old Sep 16, 2021, 11:11 AM   #192
Meteor_of_War
USA-holes

I think I'm starting to get a picture of how you are setting things up now. I didn't realize you were using your TV as a display for the laptop.

Just a guess but it sounds like something got screwed up with the internal game settings when you ran it at the higher 1440 res for your TV then switched back to 1080 for the laptop. I'm wondering if there's a config.ini file or something that you can delete and have the game recreate a new one and that might fix it? Or, if it seems to work fine for you at 1440 on both displays maybe just leave as is and don't mess with it.
Old Sep 16, 2021, 11:50 AM   #193
Lazy8s
One day at a time

Yeah I’m just leaving it at 1440 Meteor. I pulled enough old posts regarding 1080p and the game to think it might be wise to just set what works and leave it lol.

the TV fwiw is in the man cave, but it’s nice to sit at the kitchen table and play too
Old Sep 16, 2021, 12:00 PM   #194
Meteor_of_War
USA-holes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazy8s View Post
Yeah I’m just leaving it at 1440 Meteor. I pulled enough old posts regarding 1080p and the game to think it might be wise to just set what works and leave it lol.

the TV fwiw is in the man cave, but it’s nice to sit at the kitchen table and play too
That's certainly a benefit laptops have over desktop PCs. Enjoy!
Old Sep 16, 2021, 08:33 PM   #195
Meteor_of_War
USA-holes

Finished the Spirit Stone Slumbers mission. I was wondering why the first part of it up to the Nue boss was so short, because it wasn't over yet. I liked the setting underground, with all the old samurai statues. Boss fight was a push over though compared to the last one. One and done. It was fun though and had my pulse pounding a bit.

I really would like to play more. Having a good time with the game still, and could definitely go a couple more hours but just don't have the time right now. Maybe this weekend I can dedicate a good chunk like I did last weekend and bang out a few levels at once. I just opened up a new region too, and I have no real sense of how much longer the game is since these regions seems to be just small bits of a few main levels at a time.
Old Sep 17, 2021, 11:42 AM   #196
Lazy8s
One day at a time

Quote:
Finished the Spirit Stone Slumbers mission. I was wondering why the first part of it up to the Nue boss was so short, because it wasn't over yet. I liked the setting underground, with all the old samurai statues. Boss fight was a push over though compared to the last one. One and done. It was fun though and had my pulse pounding a bit.

I really would like to play more. Having a good time with the game still, and could definitely go a couple more hours but just don't have the time right now. Maybe this weekend I can dedicate a good chunk like I did last weekend and bang out a few levels at once. I just opened up a new region too, and I have no real sense of how much longer the game is since these regions seems to be just small bits of a few main levels at a time.
There’s still a lot of content left. You’re very much early game after that mission.
Old Sep 17, 2021, 12:31 PM   #197
Meteor_of_War
USA-holes

Nice, i can look forward to playing this for a good while then. But hoping for some more enemy variety soon. Think I've killed dozens and dozens of the same Yokai past couple levels.
Old Sep 17, 2021, 01:06 PM   #198
koralis
Radeon 5850

koralis knows why the caged bird singskoralis knows why the caged bird singskoralis knows why the caged bird singskoralis knows why the caged bird singskoralis knows why the caged bird sings

Just started it this monring due to the Epic giveaway and you guys enjoying it. Still in the tower of london.

Kcrucible - Playing with Fire
koralis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 17, 2021, 01:26 PM   #199
Lazy8s
One day at a time

Quote:
Nice, i can look forward to playing this for a good while then. But hoping for some more enemy variety soon. Think I've killed dozens and dozens of the same Yokai past couple levels.
There's some variety soon. That said, I think variety was one of the chief complaints I read early on....but it does get better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by koralis View Post
Just started it this monring due to the Epic giveaway and you guys enjoying it. Still in the tower of london.
Between co-op (servers are very active in both games) and just random playthoughs I have hundreds of hours invested in Nioh. yeah...I enjoy it quite a bit
Old Sep 17, 2021, 02:15 PM   #200
Meteor_of_War
USA-holes

Quote:
Welcome to the club.

I've become quite critical of Souls genre games as of late, but this one is quickly earning my stamp of approval.
Old Sep 17, 2021, 08:56 PM   #201
Meteor_of_War
USA-holes

Just finished the silver mine mission. The great centipede was not so great lol.

Joking aside it was OK I guess. But definitely the most annoying to fight so far. Had to just keep running around playing the stamina management game until i could figure out the strategy.

Ended up enjoying the level design more than the boss fight. Reminded me of an early Demon's Souls Level. Also I liked the threat of the poison gas, and having to use the air purifiers and find and destroy the poison rocks. Was kind of an original concept.
Old Sep 18, 2021, 08:20 AM   #202
Lazy8s
One day at a time

Iirc the next main mission is where things begin to open up, so to speak. After that they begin to dig into the story a bit more, and it’s very well done imo.

Fwiw I almost quit my first play through after the silver mine. I didn’t think it was a “good” level or boss, but I’m glad I didn’t.
Old Sep 18, 2021, 02:24 PM   #203
koralis
Radeon 5850

koralis knows why the caged bird singskoralis knows why the caged bird singskoralis knows why the caged bird singskoralis knows why the caged bird singskoralis knows why the caged bird sings

So, is it typical that people need Living Weapon ready to go to deal with the biggest stuff?

Kcrucible - Playing with Fire
koralis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 18, 2021, 03:35 PM   #204
Lazy8s
One day at a time

I usually saved it to bail me out if I got in trouble.

That said, a living weapon based build is pretty unstoppable through most of the later game.
Old Sep 18, 2021, 11:18 PM   #205
Meteor_of_War
USA-holes

Just finished the Ocean Roars Again mission and the Umi Bozu boss. My goodness, this was the toughest boss fight I've had to do in any game in a long time. It drove me absolutely nuts for over an hour of non-stop attempts.

First phase was straight forward, but I was having a hell of a time with that second phase. So many times got it down to a sliver of health yet it kept killing me. Just could not lock down the boss moves well enough to know when they were coming and avoid being hit. Although I will say, the tracking and hit boxes for this boss were pretty bullshit. So many times I clearly dodged out of the way and it still would get hit. Add insult to injury most hits one-shotted me unless I had a full health bar. Also the smaller mob enemies made it a good bit more difficult to manage.

Anyways as tough as it was I do think it was a pretty awesome fight. I started with a strategy of staying back and just attacking its arms, but eventually changed it up to getting right close to it and wailing on it with fast low stance attacks. Was much faster to get the boss health down, and less time to make mistakes. Then in the second phase just happened to finally have a good attempt.

Oh, and at one point I did try to summon for help but I could not get anyone in. I don't really know the mechanics of how and who can join in this game when you summon at the shrine, but was thinking there just wasn't enough people playing at the moment.

Quote:
So, is it typical that people need Living Weapon ready to go to deal with the biggest stuff?
Same as Lazy8s I also save it for when I'm in trouble, because it makes you invulnerable for the duration. Its actually a really handy trick to be able to pull out when in need.

Last edited by Meteor_of_War : Sep 18, 2021 at 11:23 PM.
Old Sep 19, 2021, 07:14 AM   #206
Lazy8s
One day at a time

If for whatever reason you run that level again Meteor, there are 3 pyres that you can interact with and light. Get those lit and no mob enemies will show during the boss fight.

There are several levels that have certain ‘tricks’ regarding the level boss…you just need to determine what they are.

Edit: Come to think of it, this is a great example of using your GS and a moment talisman. Umi-bozo is weak to fire so if you have a fire elemental GS equipped, hit him with moment talismans. It takes him down pretty fast

Last edited by Lazy8s : Sep 19, 2021 at 07:33 AM.
Old Sep 19, 2021, 08:31 AM   #207
Meteor_of_War
USA-holes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazy8s View Post
If for whatever reason you run that level again Meteor, there are 3 pyres that you can interact with and light. Get those lit and no mob enemies will show during the boss fight.

There are several levels that have certain ‘tricks’ regarding the level boss…you just need to determine what they are.

Edit: Come to think of it, this is a great example of using your GS and a moment talisman. Umi-bozo is weak to fire so if you have a fire elemental GS equipped, hit him with moment talismans. It takes him down pretty fast
Ughh! I had two of the pyres lit. I didn't find where to light the 3rd bit figured two would be enough along with my 2x fire weapon buffs i already had readied. Had i known lighting all three affected how many of the smaller enemies would spawn i certainly would have taken more time searching for it. Damn.

Also yeah i used up all my moment talismans on earlier attempts. Sadly its something i struggle with, using up consumables before i properly learn the fight. Ah well, guess i wasted more time than i needed to but still had fun with it.
Old Sep 19, 2021, 08:46 AM   #208
Lazy8s
One day at a time

Quote:
Ughh! I had two of the pyres lit. I didn't find where to light the 3rd bit figured two would be enough along with my 2x fire weapon buffs i already had readied. Had i known lighting all three affected how many of the smaller enemies would spawn i certainly would have taken more time searching for it. Damn.

Also yeah i used up all my moment talismans on earlier attempts. Sadly its something i struggle with, using up consumables before i properly learn the fight. Ah well, guess i wasted more time than i needed to but still had fun with it.
Hey, you won I've chatted with a few people that said they really enjoyed that fight, I didn't I died several times to it when it did it's jump AOE thing and I know I was far enough away. I won't mention the time I fell off the dock

It shows up in a twilight mission as well, but I knew how to beat him easily by then.

imo you're at the place where the game really opens up and gets more interesting. Judging from what you've said already about your first impressions, I think you're in for an enjoyable ride

Oh, on the summons attempt you mentioned earlier, if you hit a point where you just don't feel like dealing with it alone fire me a text. You can set a passworded or friend only summon in the options.
Old Sep 19, 2021, 08:53 AM   #209
Meteor_of_War
USA-holes

I just watched some videos online and yep with 3 pyres lit it only spawns one small enemy in the second phase. Son of a bitch lol. Man, if there's going to be more fights with gimmicks like that I'll likely want to look up the strategy if I'm ever having that much trouble again before wasting so much time.

And thanks, i did think of messaging you to ask about co-op but it was kind of late. Next time I'm facing a tough one i will though for sure.
Old Sep 19, 2021, 09:03 AM   #210
Lazy8s
One day at a time

Quote:
I just watched some videos online and yep with 3 pyres lit it only spawns one small enemy in the second phase. Son of a bitch lol. Man, if there's going to be more fights with gimmicks like that I'll likely want to look up the strategy if I'm ever having that much trouble again before wasting so much time.

And thanks, i did think of messaging you to ask about co-op but it was kind of late. Next time I'm facing a tough one i will though for sure.
There's no hint about the small enemies. Did you use a pyre in the boss arena to fire up your weapon? Yeah, spawns an enemy I love these games, but Team Ninja are master trolls for sure