Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Gaming and Computing Forums » General Hardware
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

General Hardware Talk about PCs/Macs, motherboards, CPUs, sound cards, RAM, hard drives, networking and everything else about computer hardware!

Old Jul 3, 2009, 06:37 AM   #1
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
gzunk
Radeon R200

gzunk is still being judged by the masses

Default Ultra Low Spec Gaming Machine

I'm getting a new computer for my daughter, and the one I've seen has the following specs:

Intel Atom 330, 2GB DDR 800, Intel GMA 950

Now, she mainly uses it for Facebook et al, however she would like to play The Sims 2. My question is, will the above specification run it? The resolution would be 1280x1024 (likely) but dropping it down wouldn't be that much of an issue.

I really want to get a small, quiet computer, because the one she has at the moment is an old style P4 that really belts out the noise.
gzunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 3, 2009, 07:06 AM   #2
Crisler
SAPPHIRE PR REP

Crisler can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyCrisler can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

All I can say is YUCK!

The Intel GMA video is crap for gaming..

I put together the numbers and you can build a system with the following components for $500. You can even go lower if you really need to.

Antec Three Hundred w/ 430 watt PSU
Athlon 2 X2
Gigabyte MA770T
G.Skill 4 Gig DDR3 1333
Sapphire Vapor-X 4850
WD Caviar Blue 320 Gig
Sony DVD ROM

Throw a copy of WIndows 7 RC on it now and put on the full OS on release. Get the keybaord and mouse you like and you will be all set.

Now in fairness the above system spec is a bit over what is needed for Sims but it is a GREAT value for a system in a home as it can run pretty much anything your throw at it and has a great upgrade path.

If you want to cut back some more you can. My fiance plays Spore which has about the same requirements on a pretty small system.

You can swap down a bit and replace the processor with a Kuma 7850, the mainboard down to a Gigabyte MA770, RAM to G.Skill 4 Gig DDR2 800 and the video to an HIS 4670.

This will drop the price before shipping down to $420. It will still run the sims very nice and should run most things okay up to a 1440x900 wide screen display. It still has a decent upgrade path

My personal opinion is that the first configuration gives the best bang for the buck value and upgrade options. However I would be happy with the Kuam build if the budget was really tight.

#SapphireNation
Crisler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 3, 2009, 07:25 AM   #3
oasked
Stuck in the mud

oasked is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crisler View Post
All I can say is YUCK!

The Intel GMA video is crap for gaming..
Agreed.

If she wants to play the Sims, she'll need better - and the above machine should be very quiet (if configured correctly) and almost as cheap as the Atom box.

Although, have you considered a laptop? If she's likely to go to college / uni any time soon she'll probably appreciate the portability.
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Jul 3, 2009, 08:24 AM   #4
theevilsharpie
Radeon R520

theevilsharpie is still being judged by the masses

I disagree with your recommendation, Crisler. Although it is a good value for the money, consider the OP's request:

Quote:
I really want to get a small, quiet computer...
The computer your recommended is certainly not small, nor is it particularly quiet.

Here is an alternate spec:
Antec NSK1380
Intel Pentium E5200
ASUS P5Q-EM
Kingston 2GB DDR2 800
WD Caviar Blue 320GB
Samsung 22X DVD-R
Vista Home Basic OEM

This is more than enough for the Sims, significantly smaller than a tower PC, and the parts cost about $500.

If you're not interested in building your own PC, look at low-end business-class PCs, such as the Dell Optiplex line or the HP Business Desktop line. I don't have much experience with home pre-built PCs, but I know that business PCs are very quiet, and both Dell and HP have business PCs with very small footprints.
theevilsharpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 3, 2009, 10:24 AM   #5
caveman-jim
Deposed King of Rage3D

caveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badges

Add in a HD46x0 series and its a good build, but you'd be better off using the AMD AM2+ or AM3 platform for future upgrades IMO.

The Antec 300 is not huge, it's a standard mid-tower. It's not silent either, but not noisy in my experience.
caveman-jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 3, 2009, 11:40 AM   #6
moshpit
Resident Mac Hater

moshpit once held a door open for a complete strangermoshpit once held a door open for a complete strangermoshpit once held a door open for a complete strangermoshpit once held a door open for a complete stranger

Subscriber

I'm not fond of any new build using socket 775 right now. The only thing you should be buying socket 775 chips for anymore is to upgrade older existing systems. Socket 775 motherboards should only be bought to replace dead ones, that kind of thing. Buying a new system now based on socket 775 is dead end.
Old Jul 3, 2009, 12:26 PM   #7
Crisler
SAPPHIRE PR REP

Crisler can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyCrisler can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Quote:
Originally Posted by theevilsharpie View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by caveman-jim View Post
The Antec 300 is not huge, it's a standard mid-tower. It's not silent either, but not noisy in my experience.
I will agree that the NSK is a quieter case and a worthy alternative to the Three Hundred. I will however disagree on the noise level of the Three Hundred. I have now built 9 systems using the case and not a one of them have been what I would call noisy. True it is not silent but far from noisy.

#SapphireNation
Crisler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 3, 2009, 12:36 PM   #8
biscuitownz
R.I.P 9600GT 2008-2009

biscuitownz is still being judged by the masses

Are you serious Intel GMA 950? If you have that its not even suppose to be called a gaming pc. That thing is like intergrated, get like a 7300gt or something then it'll be a low end gaming pc.

biscuitownz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 3, 2009, 12:50 PM   #9
Trunks0
Keeping an open mind

Trunks0 can recite pi backwardsTrunks0 can recite pi backwardsTrunks0 can recite pi backwardsTrunks0 can recite pi backwardsTrunks0 can recite pi backwardsTrunks0 can recite pi backwardsTrunks0 can recite pi backwards

Subscriber

Could always sub in a ATX case like the Sonota or one of its competitors for a quieter case.

System:
Asus TUF Gaming X570-Pro - AMD Ryzen 7 5800x - Noctua NH-D15S chromax.Black - 32gb of G.Skill Trident Z NEO - Asus DRW-24F1ST DVD±RW - Samsung 850 Evo 250Gib - 4TiB Seagate - XFX MERC 308 Radeon RX 6600XT - Creative AE-5 Plus - Windows 10 64-bit

Last edited by Trunks0 : Jul 3, 2009 at 01:01 PM. Reason: nvm that last comment :D
Trunks0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 3, 2009, 01:07 PM   #10
moshpit
Resident Mac Hater

moshpit once held a door open for a complete strangermoshpit once held a door open for a complete strangermoshpit once held a door open for a complete strangermoshpit once held a door open for a complete stranger

Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by biscuitownz View Post
Are you serious Intel GMA 950? If you have that its not even suppose to be called a gaming pc. That thing is like intergrated, get like a 7300gt or something then it'll be a low end gaming pc.
Biscuit makes a good point here. You can't even call it a bottom feeder gaming PC if it's using integrated Intel graphics. An actual video card is a must to qualify for the term "gaming" at all in the title, no matter how low you go.
Old Jul 3, 2009, 01:27 PM   #11
DaJMasta
Baffoonist

DaJMasta doesn't need no stinkin' badgesDaJMasta doesn't need no stinkin' badgesDaJMasta doesn't need no stinkin' badgesDaJMasta doesn't need no stinkin' badgesDaJMasta doesn't need no stinkin' badgesDaJMasta doesn't need no stinkin' badgesDaJMasta doesn't need no stinkin' badgesDaJMasta doesn't need no stinkin' badgesDaJMasta doesn't need no stinkin' badges

As stated, the GMA will not run any game from the last 5 years acceptably, at least not including 2d platformers and things. The atom processor is also not ideal for gaming, even the dual core version performs under any equivalently clocked single core modern processor (sempron or celeron), because it simply isn't built for computation intensive apps.

Not to say it's a good option, but you could replace the main heatsink and fans/power supply of her current setup and drop in a decent graphics card and probably get to play the sims 2 quite acceptably and with much less noise. An alternative is to go with a full overhaul, while both mentioned configurations are nice, there are cheaper alternatives available - especially including rebates and combo deals and things. There's also readily available low-end dual core machines from the usual OEMs, which with the addition of a low-mid range graphics card (which can be passively cooled and noisless) could be what you're looking for as well.
Desktop: Intel Core i7 7770k : 16GB EVGA DDR4 2400 : Gigabyte GTX 1070 Ti Windforce X2 : Gigabyte GA-H270-WIFI : AudioQuest DragonFly DAC : Samsung SM961 NVMe 1TB SSD : Corsair Builder 500W PSU : Samsung 1440p 32" Monitor : Klipsch Promedia 2.1 : Windows 10 Pro x64
Tablet: Microsoft Surface Pro 4 : Intel Core i5-6300U : 8GB DDR3 : Intel 520 Integrated : 256GB SSD : 12.3" 2736x1824 display : Windows 10 Pro x64
HTPC: Intel Core i3 3225 : HD 4000 integrated : 8GB Samsung DDR3 1600 : Gigabyte H77N-Wifi : 120GB Sandisk Extreme SSD : 80W power brick and picoPSU150 XT : Integrated HD Audio : Scepter 32" LCD TV : Logitech Z313 2.1 : Windows 7 Pro x64

DaJMasta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 3, 2009, 03:40 PM   #12
Perky McGiggles
I see what you did there

Perky McGiggles is still being judged by the masses

Sims 2 (with all the expansions) is more demanding then people think, but I believe it is mostly CPU intensive. Especially when you get a lot of AI in the same place. Honestly, it wasn't till I gave my sister my old 8800GTS before she could run the game on high without too much stuttering or slow downs. But it was still there in intense scenes. This was at 1280x1024 everything on high except for shadows. No AA or anything.

If she doesnt care about graphics and just wants to play at medium then a 7 series card would probably do it. But I'm thinking if you can score a 8600 part or better for a good price it's worth it. I mean not that long ago Newegg had a 8600 for $18 after rebate. There are deals to be had.
name, so sayeth the Lord.
- Penguins 22, chapter 3, verse 8
Perky McGiggles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 3, 2009, 05:06 PM   #13
Qualitier
UltraRacer PC forever

Qualitier is still being judged by the masses

If the OP needs silence, I think that it's much about the fans. As for case, I like the Asus TA-651 (excellent ventilation design) and, in case its fan were too weak or noisy, a Noctua 1300 (expensive for a fan but a very good deal with the cheap TA-651).

My Athlon X2 stock fan was completely silent. The Athlon 2 X2 one should be too, as it hasn't higher TDP.

As for vcard, maybe some 4670 or the nVidia equivalent but I don't know about that stuff.

The case proposed is a mid tower. Smaller solutions may need noisier fanning...

Windows XP 32 pro + Windows Vista 32 Ultimate, CCC + ATi Tray Tools
Club3D HD4890 Superclocked Edition (950/1050·4) with Accelero S1 rev2 + Turbo Module (2 80mm low-profile fans w/o frame)
LCD Samsung SyncMaster T260 (26", 1920x1200)
Gigabyte GA-MA790FXT-UD5P (socket AM3, chipset AMD-790FX)
Phenom II X4 955-BE @ stock
4x2GB Geil DDR3-1333 7-7-7-24-33 1.5V @ 1333MHz 7-7-7-24-33-1T 1.6V; dual channel enabled; unganged mode
Sound Blaster Live! 5.1 with gameport, AverMedia AVerTV Hybrid Super007
2x WD 640GB Caviar Blue (SATA) in RAID 0, DVD reader (IDE), 2 DVD recorders (SATA+IDE), floppy drive, card reader
Corsair VX-550W, one +12V x 41A rail, 81-85% efficiency

Windows XP 32 pro, no CCC, ATi Tray Tools
Sapphire X1950pro 512MB AGP (580/702·2 MHz) with Accelero X2
CRT Nokia 446Xpro (19", 107 kHz) @ 1600x1200x75Hz (desktop) or 1280x1024x85Hz (games)
Asrock AM2NF3-VSTA (nForce3 250); [email protected] MHz (motherboard limitation, 3216MB/s up + 3216MB/s down)
Athlon64 X2 5000+ Brisbane (@13*201=2613MHz)
2x2GB Buffalo 2.1V + 2x1GB Kingston 2.0V, both DDR2-800 [email protected] 2*373MHz (2613/7) 4-4-4-12-2T 2.0V; dual channel enabled
56k modem, drives etc
Corsair VX-450W, one +12V x 33A rail, 81-85% efficiency
190W maximum consumption from the wall (monitor apart)
Qualitier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 3, 2009, 10:42 PM   #14
Qb2k5
Alienware Certified

Qb2k5 is still being judged by the masses

I cant even run HL2 at 800x600 on my GMA950. That thing is trash. I woudlnt recommend a Atom nor a gma950. Stick with what the others mentioned above.
Qb2k5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 4, 2009, 03:40 PM   #15
Sasquach
2/10 will not bang

Sasquach kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshSasquach kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshSasquach kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshSasquach kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshSasquach kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshSasquach kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshSasquach kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshSasquach kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshSasquach kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshSasquach kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh

DO NOT USE GMA950 for gaming.
Its just not built for it. World of Warcraft isnt exactly a resource hog but i still have to drop every graphic setting to the lowest AND the resolution at its lowest (800x600) and it still runs like crap in certain situations. You will not see more than 20fps with this thing unless you're staring at a wall. The only games it can run decently well are those from the DX7 era (ie really old games that dont use shaders)

Even still this chipset on my laptop is paired with a Core2Duo T7200 @2ghz which is helping it perform acceptable to my standards. It'll only be worse with an atom processor since i think those are fairly weaker than core2duos.
AMD Ryzen 5 2600X @ 3.6ghz
Asus Prime B450M A/CSM
2 x 8GB G-Skill DDR4 2666
Dell E2210 (22" widescreen) monitor + Asus Dual Radeon RX 6600
Seagate Barracuda 500gb 7200.12 SATA
Seagate Barracuda 2TB SATA
Sennheiser PC350 Xense edition headset
Sasquach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 4, 2009, 05:02 PM   #16
Serotonin
Lacking details

Serotonin is still being judged by the masses

If you're trying to buy her a netbook, until nvidia chipsets (ion) hit the market, Sims 2 just won't be playable on any netbook solution. (Unless some nvidia video cards have found there way to netbooks recently).

If you're trying to get her portable gaming, you'll want to bump up to a full laptop and grab something with a nvidia or ati video card. Stay away from ALL Intel video cards, pure crap, and a good reason why so many have abandon pc gaming.

If you're looking toward a desktop, again, stay away from Intel video cards. Get a cheap pre-build from HP or whoever since it's basically used for facebook and surfing and then buy a 9800GT for $99 bucks @ newegg. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814127406 That will run Sims 2 and even Sims 3 should she decide to migrate over to that someday.
Serotonin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 4, 2009, 09:35 PM   #17
metroidfox
dAMD fanATical nVidiot

metroidfox can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultymetroidfox can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Quote:
Originally Posted by gzunk View Post
I'm getting a new computer for my daughter, and the one I've seen has the following specs:

Intel Atom 330, 2GB DDR 800, Intel GMA 950

Now, she mainly uses it for Facebook et al, however she would like to play The Sims 2. My question is, will the above specification run it? The resolution would be 1280x1024 (likely) but dropping it down wouldn't be that much of an issue.

I really want to get a small, quiet computer, because the one she has at the moment is an old style P4 that really belts out the noise.

May be a stupid question, but why not let her use your computer?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pr()ZaC
Spyre, I told you before! I won't let you have mensechs with metroidfox nor give you the secret address to the admins p0rn server! :drool:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Villainess
:lol: @ sig ............ now get me OUTTA THERE!! :mad:
metroidfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 6, 2009, 08:56 AM   #18
gzunk
Radeon R200

gzunk is still being judged by the masses

Smile

Many thanks for all of the replies, and I think the outcome is that it's just not going to cut it for the games.

The actual computer wouldn't have been a self build, but bought from a company called efficient pc who specialise in Linux. The other role for her computer would be to dual boot into Ubuntu so that she can run MythTV and watch TV in her room.

The next step up would be a Radeon HD3200 and an Athlon 64 5200, which should be enough, but it also has a couple of slots so I could always slap a passively cooled 9600GT in there.

We thought about getting her a laptop, but the build quality of the laptops at the lower end of the price range always leaves me thinking that it wouldn't last two months. She's just started an apprenticeship in hairdressing so I suspect that not having a laptop won't be too much of a handicap for her.

And the chances of her getting on my computer are slim to none . I've seen the crap she downloads and it's going nowhere near my machine!
gzunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 6, 2009, 09:12 AM   #19
PeaceKeeper
Keeping The Peace

PeaceKeeper is still being judged by the masses

Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by gzunk View Post
And the chances of her getting on my computer are slim to none . I've seen the crap she downloads and it's going nowhere near my machine!
Quote FTW

ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Dark Hero (Bios 4201) | AMD Ryzen 7 5800X | Noctua NH-D14 | 64GB Crucial Ballistix PC4-28800 DDR4 @ 3600MHz (16-18-18-38-1T) @ 1.35v | EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti SC2 Gaming 11GB | Creative Sound Blaster AE-5 | Samsung 970 Pro 1TB NVMe | Samsung 860 Pro 1TB SATA III SSD | 2x Western Digital Caviar Black WD2003FZEX 2TB 7200 RPM 64MB Cache SATA2 Hard Drives RAID 1 | ASUS BC-12B1ST 12x BD-ROM | ASUS DRW-24F1ST 24x DVD-RW | Logitech G400 Mouse | Ducky One 2 Phantom Black Double Shot PBT Mechanical Keyboard | EVGA Supernova P2 Platinum 1000 Watt Power Supply | Corsair Obsidian 650D | Dell S2721DGF 27" LCD | Logitech Z-2300 THX-Certified 2.1 / Sennheiser RS 170 | APC Smart-UPS SMT 1500 | Windows 10 Professional x64

MacBook Pro | 13.3 Inch Widescreen Display | Intel Core i5 @ 2.9GHz | 8GB DDR3 @ 1867MHz | Intel Iris 6100 1536MB | 512GB SSD | MAC OS Big Sur
PeaceKeeper is offline   Reply With Quote