Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Graphics Technology Forums » Other Graphics Cards and 3D Technologies
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Other Graphics Cards and 3D Technologies Discussion forum for any graphics hardware not provided by AMD/ATI. Also place to discuss 3D technologies such as 3D Stereo, PhysX and other interesting developments/rumours in the 3D industry.

Old Nov 22, 2020, 02:34 PM   #1681
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
SubCog
Radeon Arctic Islands

SubCog doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSubCog doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSubCog doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSubCog doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSubCog doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSubCog doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSubCog doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSubCog doesn't need no stinkin' badges

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nagorak View Post
It looks like the RTX 3000 series is still the better choice in VR than the Radeon 6000 series. The 6800 XT still performs well, and both cards are likely more than enough for almost all games, but the 3080 was slightly faster on average.

https://babeltechreviews.com/vr-wars...e-benchmarked/
That makes sense, as few VR games are using raytracing right now.

Ryzen 5 5600x - radeon 6700xt - 32 gigs memory

Nintendo: NES, SNES, N64, Gamecube, Wii, Wii U, Switch, Gameboy, Gameboy Pocket, Gameboy Color, Virtual Boy, 6 GBAs, DS, 3ds
Sega: Sega Master System, Genesis, 32x, Sega CD, Saturn, Dreamcast, Game Gear
Sony: PS1, PS2, PS3, PS4, PSP
Microsoft: og xbox, xbox360, xbone, series 3
Atari: Atari 2600, 7800
Neo Geo: Neo Geo Pocket Color
Other: Colecovision, Intellivision, Vectrex

riva tnt
tnt2
geforce2mx
kyro 2
radeon 8500
radeon 9600
radeon 9800pro
radeon x800pro
geforce 8800gtx
radeon 6850
radeon 280
radeon 580
radeon 6700xt
SubCog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 23, 2020, 11:40 PM   #1682
Nagorak
Incarnation of the Nether

Nagorak can recite pi backwardsNagorak can recite pi backwardsNagorak can recite pi backwardsNagorak can recite pi backwardsNagorak can recite pi backwardsNagorak can recite pi backwardsNagorak can recite pi backwards

Well, I received my HP Reverb 2. It looks like they basically took pointers from the Oculus Rift and Valve Index for the design. It seems fairly light and comfortable.

The controllers are knock offs of the Oculus Touch. They are are definitely way better than the standard WMR controller, and I'd say probably better than the more ergonomic Samsung Odyssey version of the controller, which is still kind of fat and bulky. Unfortunately, I have the same problem with them that I do with the Oculus Touch controllers, in that they are really too small for my hands. To access the buttons I have to hold them higher in my hand than it feels like I should have to, and consequently it doesn't feel like I have a good grip on them.

Have had some issues getting the headset to actually be detected on USB, so I'll post back more impressions after I get that worked out. Thought it was DOA at first, but eventually got it detected.
Nagorak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 24, 2020, 01:14 AM   #1683
Nagorak

Nagorak can recite pi backwardsNagorak can recite pi backwardsNagorak can recite pi backwardsNagorak can recite pi backwardsNagorak can recite pi backwardsNagorak can recite pi backwardsNagorak can recite pi backwards

Alright, so the headset itself is pretty amazing. There pretty much isn't any SDE. If you look closely, you can see the image is sort of "digitized", but you don't really perceive an SDE. However, the same thing can be said of the Samsung Odyssey+ with its anti-SDE coating. The difference is the resolution/clarity of the Reverb 2 is way higher.

The clarity is pretty amazing, and it almost makes it a new experience, because it really feels like you're there. In SPT on the first boss, I ended up just spending 30 seconds looking at the little shield thing that appears next to you, because I could see it in such clear detail and it just felt so real. This is what VR HMDs should be, and hopefully all will be in 5 years (hopefully we make more headway than we have in the last four years).

Colors on the headset are also pretty good. Audio is decent, but with the off-ear headphones I don't feel like there's very much bass.

Unfortunately there's also some bad. Black levels are not very good, at least relative to OLED, and it's really noticeable in dark scenes/with dark backgrounds. LCDs just suck at blacks compared to OLED, but in this case at least we're getting high res as a trade-off.

There was some noticeable distortion when looking off to the side, instead of straight forward. I don't know if the problem is actually that the sweet spot is too small, or if it's just the normal amount of distortion that happens with any HMD, and it's simply more obvious due to the higher res screens.

Controller tracking is not-so-good. It's passable, unlike the Vive Cosmos, but it's not really that much better than previous WMR headsets. They added two side facing cameras, but for me most controller tracking problems are when the controllers are held too low down, or maybe when too close to the HMD. IMO, they should have added a downward facing camera (and probably an upward facing one, but it's less common that you lift your arms straight up). In any case, after having experienced the Rift S, where I would be hard pressed to tell it wasn't lighthouse tracking, WMR tracking stands out as being somewhat subpar. (Headset tracking is flawless--that's never been a problem with any WMR headset I've used.)

USB compatibility may not be good. I had a hard time even getting the headset detected at first. I'll have to try more, but I am not sure it will even work with my VR backpack, which kind of sucks (although the 1070 in it would be hard pressed to run it anyway).

On the whole, for seated games the Reverb G2 is an unparalleled option. For games using motion controls, it is OK, but the wonky tracking may be an aggravation. On the other hand, the greater resolution may be enough for some to put up with the controller tracking. (Speaking personally, for room scale games I still wouldn't want to give up the freedom of wireless, even at the expense of the amazing resolution of the G2).
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Nov 24, 2020, 06:46 AM   #1684
Nagorak

I think the problem with the headset not working at first was just because I hadn't plugged the cord in solidly enough on the headset side. There's a fair amount of resistance and I think it didn't go all the way in. It now seems to be working fine with just about every USB port, so I guess that was a false alarm.
Old Nov 24, 2020, 07:01 AM   #1685
AllexxisF1
F- Insurrectionists

AllexxisF1 once jumped the English ChannelAllexxisF1 once jumped the English ChannelAllexxisF1 once jumped the English ChannelAllexxisF1 once jumped the English ChannelAllexxisF1 once jumped the English ChannelAllexxisF1 once jumped the English ChannelAllexxisF1 once jumped the English ChannelAllexxisF1 once jumped the English ChannelAllexxisF1 once jumped the English ChannelAllexxisF1 once jumped the English ChannelAllexxisF1 once jumped the English Channel

Congrats!
AllexxisF1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 24, 2020, 10:37 AM   #1686
SirBaron
Hallowed are the Clownies

SirBaron exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselSirBaron exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselSirBaron exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselSirBaron exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselSirBaron exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselSirBaron exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselSirBaron exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselSirBaron exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselSirBaron exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselSirBaron exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselSirBaron exchanges holiday cards with Vin Diesel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mangler View Post
A free copy of asgard would have been nice, but no, **** early adopters.
Like I said, they've backtracked. , you should be able to get it now.
Old Nov 30, 2020, 02:43 AM   #1687
SirBaron

SirBaron exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselSirBaron exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselSirBaron exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselSirBaron exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselSirBaron exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselSirBaron exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselSirBaron exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselSirBaron exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselSirBaron exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselSirBaron exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselSirBaron exchanges holiday cards with Vin Diesel

Quest 2 vs Quest 2 version 23 software.
Old Nov 30, 2020, 04:14 AM   #1688
CyanBlues
Radeon Southern Islands

CyanBlues once held a door open for a complete strangerCyanBlues once held a door open for a complete strangerCyanBlues once held a door open for a complete strangerCyanBlues once held a door open for a complete stranger

Morrowind VR
Old Dec 3, 2020, 01:00 PM   #1689
Mangler
PC

Mangler exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselMangler exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselMangler exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselMangler exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselMangler exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselMangler exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselMangler exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselMangler exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselMangler exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselMangler exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselMangler exchanges holiday cards with Vin Diesel

They really chose a poor release date for that new medal of honor VR shootbang.

I hope it doesn't bomb as it really looks like it could be a good game, and the world needs more vr games with an actual budget behind them.
Mangler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 2020, 07:21 AM   #1690
Nagorak

Anyone who is playing wired should consider picking up one of the hanging cable management solutions. After being wireless with my Vive Pro, I couldn't stand to go back to the cable dragging on the ground me with the Reverb G2, so I bought the Kiwi VR Cable Management Kit.

It's obviously not as good as being fully wireless, as you can sometimes feel it pulling on your head, and you also have to be careful about turning too much and twisting your cable into knots, but, it actually works surprisingly well, all things considered. I'd say it's about 75% as good as being fully wireless. Considering it costs 1/10th the cost of the Vive Wireless adapter, and also works with all the the other headsets that don't offer a wireless option, I wholeheartedly recommend it.
Old Dec 6, 2020, 07:37 AM   #1691
SirBaron

Yeah I thought about that but I'd need a damn long cable for my quest to use that. 5 meters minimum.
Old Dec 11, 2020, 01:30 AM   #1692
Nagorak

If Facebook has to break up, hopefully they'll have to get rid of Oculus.
Old Dec 28, 2020, 06:09 AM   #1693
demo
space cadet

demo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieseldemo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieseldemo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieseldemo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieseldemo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieseldemo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieseldemo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieseldemo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieseldemo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieseldemo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieseldemo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Diesel

What's the difference between these two? Both are advertised as Reverb VR1000-220A in various stores

https://store.hp.com/au-en/default/h...t-7fu78pa.html

https://store.hp.com/au-en/default/h...a-6du18aa.html
Old Dec 28, 2020, 07:52 AM   #1694
Exposed
ESB Sports Bookie

Exposed can recite pi backwardsExposed can recite pi backwardsExposed can recite pi backwardsExposed can recite pi backwardsExposed can recite pi backwardsExposed can recite pi backwardsExposed can recite pi backwards

Not sure. First one is the G1, Is the G2 not available in your area yet?
Exposed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28, 2020, 07:56 AM   #1695
Mangler
PC

Mangler exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselMangler exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselMangler exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselMangler exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselMangler exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselMangler exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselMangler exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselMangler exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselMangler exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselMangler exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselMangler exchanges holiday cards with Vin Diesel

Going by the descriptions, one has bluetooth and a bunch of special connections for some kind of portable pc that you wear on your back.

It might also lack the long ass display port cable that you usually get with a headset since they mention a 0.6m cable.
Old Dec 28, 2020, 08:02 AM   #1696
demo
space cadet

demo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieseldemo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieseldemo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieseldemo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieseldemo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieseldemo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieseldemo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieseldemo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieseldemo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieseldemo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieseldemo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Diesel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exposed View Post
Not sure. First one is the G1, Is the G2 not available in your area yet?
G2 is sold out everywhere, but I can pre-order for next shipment.

The Reverb VR1000-220A [G1?] linked above is in stock and less than half the price at a local store. It has the same 2160x2160 screens and I'm only interested in seated games like flight sims so I'm not too fussed about the improved controller/hand tracking of the G2.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mangler View Post
Going by the descriptions, one has bluetooth and a bunch of special connections for some kind of portable pc that you wear on your back.

It might also lack the long ass display port cable that you usually get with a headset since they mention a 0.6m cable.
Hrmm the cable might be an issue, I suppose you can buy them separately?
Old Dec 28, 2020, 07:50 PM   #1697
demo
space cadet

OK I found out that since the G2 release, the G1 units have now replaced the OG Mixed Reality Headset, which itself has become EOL.

I just picked up a set for $338 USD. Checked serial number and it is indeed a rev.B G1 headset, with manufacture date of week 36 2020.

All the reviews I've seen say the the rev.B G1 headset is perfect for seated sims, practically on par with G2. This will be my first foray into VR on PC, have MSFS2020 and Starwars Squadrons installed to check out first.
Old Dec 28, 2020, 09:33 PM   #1698
Destroy
Radeon Arctic Islands

Destroy once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Destroy once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Destroy once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Destroy once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Destroy once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Destroy once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

Quote:
Originally Posted by demo View Post
OK
I just picked up a set for $338 USD.
Nice. Enjoy!

Remember if you start to feel sick, quit and take a long break, don't try to force yourself through it.
Old Dec 28, 2020, 09:52 PM   #1699
demo
space cadet

MSFS2020 is OK but runs like shiit. I read there is some sort of motion interpolation in windows VR options - any idea how to enable it?
Old Dec 29, 2020, 12:25 AM   #1700
Nagorak

The controller tracking on the G2 is still crap anyway. However, I heard the optics in general were mucu improved on the G2. I haven't seen a G1 to specifically compare to though.

For half price and readily available it probably is a decent buy regardless.

Last edited by Nagorak : Dec 29, 2020 at 12:30 AM.
Old Dec 29, 2020, 12:26 AM   #1701
Nagorak

Quote:
MSFS2020 is OK but runs like shiit. I read there is some sort of motion interpolation in windows VR options - any idea how to enable it?
If it's in Steam VR is a setting on the settings page for it. I saw it an enabled it briefly a couple weeks ago but can't remember the name off the top of my head.
Old Dec 29, 2020, 12:56 AM   #1702
demo
space cadet

I've read/watched about 20 reviews comparing the two and most say there's not too much difference in the screens - the G2 does have a larger sweet spot and higher contrast ratio though. That said, I wouldn't want a unit with lower resolution, don't think I could handle it. This 2160x2160 per eye is just enough. If I get into VR more I'll invest in another unit, this was just to dip my toes in - the price seemed right.

Anyway, I fired up Star Wars Squadrons and damn it's pretty amazing. I'm impressed, it's like a childhood fantasy come to life.

What VR titles should I be looking at? I suppose I'll get Alex, but is there anything else that really stands out?
Old Dec 29, 2020, 01:50 AM   #1703
demo
space cadet

Quote:

For anyone interested, download OpenXR Dev tools for windows. Check 'use latest preview runtime' and set 'motion projection' to always on - this will force motion interpolation in all apps/games.

Another thing, HDR was wrecking Star wars performance and visuals. Disable it in 'C:\Users\name\Documents\STAR WARS Squadrons\settings\ProfileOptions_Profile'. Set 'GstRender.HdrEnable 1' to 0. Fixed everything.
Old Dec 29, 2020, 04:20 AM   #1704
demo
space cadet

OK just flew from Africa to Gibraltar and oh my word.. wow. I crash landed in the water and physically walked out onto the wing, drank a beer on the phone to my m8, while yachts passed me by in the sunset.. Wow. I'm blown away.

KK won't spam the thread anymore, but jesus, this is amazing. *first time VR'er*
Old Dec 29, 2020, 09:09 AM   #1705
demo
space cadet

Quote:
set 'motion projection' to always on - this will force motion interpolation in all apps/games.
Err... don't do this unless you like beyond levels of Samsung artifacts... was great at first, but once you see it, you cannot un-see it..
Old Dec 29, 2020, 10:31 AM   #1706
Exposed
ESB Sports Bookie

Exposed can recite pi backwardsExposed can recite pi backwardsExposed can recite pi backwardsExposed can recite pi backwardsExposed can recite pi backwardsExposed can recite pi backwardsExposed can recite pi backwards

I'm always a believer motion interpolation should be at the hardware level, not software, like in TV's.
Exposed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 29, 2020, 11:07 AM   #1707
demo
space cadet

I'm about an hour into Alyx. Seriously WTF This shiit is gold! Wow
Old Dec 29, 2020, 12:05 PM   #1708
Mangler
PC

It's a good game.

I just wish valve would have let users take off the training wheels.

I can handle jumping and faster movements, give me a sprint and jump button valve, locking that to the teleport function sucks.
Old Dec 29, 2020, 12:10 PM   #1709
demo
space cadet

It's freaking amazing, I had no idea. Just wow. I've disabled teleport and am using analogue stick movement, I find it much easier like playing a console game, kind of.
Old Dec 29, 2020, 12:54 PM   #1710
Destroy
Radeon Arctic Islands

Destroy once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Destroy once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Destroy once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Destroy once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Destroy once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Destroy once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

Quote:
It's freaking amazing,
It's all down hill now I'm afraid; you started with arguably the best 2 VR show case games.

Most everything else will look and feel subpar.