Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Graphics Technology Forums » Other Graphics Cards and 3D Technologies
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Other Graphics Cards and 3D Technologies Discussion forum for any graphics hardware not provided by AMD/ATI. Also place to discuss 3D technologies such as 3D Stereo, PhysX and other interesting developments/rumours in the 3D industry.

Old Dec 29, 2020, 08:23 PM   #1711
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
demo
space cadet

demo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieseldemo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieseldemo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieseldemo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieseldemo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieseldemo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieseldemo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieseldemo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieseldemo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieseldemo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieseldemo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Diesel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Destroy View Post
It's all down hill now I'm afraid; you started with arguably the best 2 VR show case games.

Most everything else will look and feel subpar.

Dammit
Old Dec 29, 2020, 09:49 PM   #1712
OverclockN'
Radeon Arctic Islands

OverclockN' is not someone to be trifled withOverclockN' is not someone to be trifled withOverclockN' is not someone to be trifled withOverclockN' is not someone to be trifled withOverclockN' is not someone to be trifled withOverclockN' is not someone to be trifled withOverclockN' is not someone to be trifled with

Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by demo View Post
It's freaking amazing, I had no idea. Just wow. I've disabled teleport and am using analogue stick movement, I find it much easier like playing a console game, kind of.
I found this easier as well. All my friends use teleport to avoid getting sick, but I must have a rock iron stomach and never get VR sick no matter what. So I played a handful of my friends games while sitting and using analogue movement, or just standing in place and turning around. It was great.

i9 9900KF/Corsair H100i
Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Master
EVGA 3080 XC3 Ultra Gaming
32GB G.Skill DDR3 3200
Corsair HX1000W
Corsair 600T Silver Edition
Corsair Nightsword Mouse/Logitech G15 Keyboard
LG CX 48"

i5 3570k/OEM Cooler
Asus Sabretooth Z77
Asus ROG 1080Ti Strix
16GB G.Skill DDR3 2600
Corsair CX750M
Lian Li Lancool II Mesh
Logtech G703 Mouse/Logitech G915 Keyboard
OverclockN' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30, 2020, 09:11 AM   #1713
Mangler
PC

Mangler exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselMangler exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselMangler exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselMangler exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselMangler exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselMangler exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselMangler exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselMangler exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselMangler exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselMangler exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselMangler exchanges holiday cards with Vin Diesel

You still need to teleport when the game requires you to jump.

"BAD" vr conversions like skyrim and fallout gives you full control over the movement, you can jump, you can run, surely alyx should be able to do the same?

I started to teleport in alyx simply because I wanted to move through a corridor faster, the movement speed is too slow.
Mangler is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Dec 30, 2020, 11:25 AM   #1714
OverclockN'
Radeon Arctic Islands

OverclockN' is not someone to be trifled withOverclockN' is not someone to be trifled withOverclockN' is not someone to be trifled withOverclockN' is not someone to be trifled withOverclockN' is not someone to be trifled withOverclockN' is not someone to be trifled withOverclockN' is not someone to be trifled with

Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mangler View Post

"BAD" vr conversions like skyrim and fallout gives you full control over the movement, you can jump, you can run, surely alyx should be able to do the same?

I started to teleport in alyx simply because I wanted to move through a corridor faster, the movement speed is too slow.
Ah, that's lame. I played the Boneworks or some other game for a while and you could jump with the controller. I never had to use teleport to do anything. That's the way it should be. I mean, the option should be there, but if you're going to use analogue...you should get full movement with it.

i9 9900KF/Corsair H100i
Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Master
EVGA 3080 XC3 Ultra Gaming
32GB G.Skill DDR3 3200
Corsair HX1000W
Corsair 600T Silver Edition
Corsair Nightsword Mouse/Logitech G15 Keyboard
LG CX 48"

i5 3570k/OEM Cooler
Asus Sabretooth Z77
Asus ROG 1080Ti Strix
16GB G.Skill DDR3 2600
Corsair CX750M
Lian Li Lancool II Mesh
Logtech G703 Mouse/Logitech G915 Keyboard
OverclockN' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30, 2020, 02:25 PM   #1715
jjjayb
Rage3D Veteran

jjjayb can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyjjjayb can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Quote:

The movement speed in Alyx was ridiculously slow. You can change it to a faster speed though. It makes the game much better.

https://www.reddit.com/r/HalfLife/co...halflife_alyx/
Old Dec 30, 2020, 04:01 PM   #1716
andino
Radeon Arctic Islands

andino can recite pi backwardsandino can recite pi backwardsandino can recite pi backwardsandino can recite pi backwardsandino can recite pi backwardsandino can recite pi backwardsandino can recite pi backwards

Half life Alyx is a fun game.

There are other great games out there though.

I personally liked Moss.
andino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30, 2020, 05:20 PM   #1717
demo
space cadet

demo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieseldemo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieseldemo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieseldemo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieseldemo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieseldemo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieseldemo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieseldemo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieseldemo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieseldemo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieseldemo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Diesel

Quote:

Yeh I see what you're saying now that I've played it some more, why the hell can't I jump?? You should be able to have full control with analogue sticks. That aside, the experience itself is great and there are some mind blowing scenes.

On another note, after initially having no interest at all, I'm pretty tempted to pick up Medal of Honor.. I was a huge fanboy 20 years ago with Allied Assault and expansions.. I read they fixed all issues/complaints since release and it is now in a great state. In fact, HL2 and MoH were my go to games back in the day, interesting they are now pushing early VR experiences.

And no matter how I try, I cannot seem to get MSFS2020 in a state that I'm happy with due to performance. Such a shame as this is what I really bought VR for. I can run it, but have to lower graphics beyond what I'd like and even then it's a little hitchy which is a no go for VR. It desperately needs DX12 patch with multicore support.

I'm reading that the Rift-S actually provides the best experience in MSFS2020 purely because of their motion reprojection technology. People with 20fps are still getting fluid motion.
Old Dec 30, 2020, 05:27 PM   #1718
demo
space cadet

Anyone tried Doom3 VR? Can you control it with analogue sticks?
Old Jan 1, 2021, 07:04 PM   #1719
Nagorak
Incarnation of the Nether

Nagorak can recite pi backwardsNagorak can recite pi backwardsNagorak can recite pi backwardsNagorak can recite pi backwardsNagorak can recite pi backwardsNagorak can recite pi backwardsNagorak can recite pi backwards

I think it should work. However, Doom VFR is honestly a better experience. Some purists don't like the teleport mechanic, but it manages to capture the fast paced speed of the flat screen version. I had a blast playing it.

The problem with Doom 3 in VR is that it's a little clunky being a conversion. But more than that, the game play just isn't that fun. All the enemies are bullet sponges. And when I played it, after the novelty of the first couple of levels, I realized I'd already played through the game twice before. It just doesn't change the experience enough to make it a truly new game, and while the graphics were good for its time and still look decent in VR, the game play is pretty plodding.
Nagorak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7, 2021, 05:10 AM   #1720
demo
space cadet

Yeh it's OK, but you're right it's still Doom3.. just with funky controls. I think I prefer it on monitor with KB/M.

I seem to have MSFS2020 working well in VR now, not exactly sure what I did. I think SteamVR was playing funny buggers, WMR seems to work much better. It's quite an experience. You really get that sensation of being up thousands of feet in the air.
Old Jan 7, 2021, 07:20 AM   #1721
=Mustang=
Radeon R420

=Mustang= is still being judged by the masses

I've been a massive fan for years of DCS World (and Flaming Cliffs/LOMAC/Flanker before that) and I cannot wait to see how this looks through my VR

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lmDKUxzRwKE

Last edited by =Mustang= : Jan 7, 2021 at 07:53 AM.
=Mustang= is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7, 2021, 09:27 PM   #1722
jjjayb
Rage3D Veteran

jjjayb can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyjjjayb can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Quote:
Originally Posted by demo View Post

On another note, after initially having no interest at all, I'm pretty tempted to pick up Medal of Honor.. I was a huge fanboy 20 years ago with Allied Assault and expansions.. I read they fixed all issues/complaints since release and it is now in a great state. In fact, HL2 and MoH were my go to games back in the day, interesting they are now pushing early VR experiences.

It was a dissappointment. Don't get me wrong, it's amazing being in the medal of honor world in VR. It just feels like they made the game without ever actually playing it in VR.
Old Jan 9, 2021, 01:41 PM   #1723
clerick
tfw

clerick can recite pi backwardsclerick can recite pi backwardsclerick can recite pi backwardsclerick can recite pi backwardsclerick can recite pi backwardsclerick can recite pi backwardsclerick can recite pi backwards

New DrBeef team doom VR port to run natively on quest/quest2.
R.I.P Muha, 2010-2021
clerick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21, 2021, 03:48 PM   #1724
Shapeshifter
Radeon Arctic Islands

Shapeshifter doesn't need no stinkin' badgesShapeshifter doesn't need no stinkin' badgesShapeshifter doesn't need no stinkin' badgesShapeshifter doesn't need no stinkin' badgesShapeshifter doesn't need no stinkin' badgesShapeshifter doesn't need no stinkin' badgesShapeshifter doesn't need no stinkin' badgesShapeshifter doesn't need no stinkin' badgesShapeshifter doesn't need no stinkin' badges

https://www.macrumors.com/2021/01/21...t-2022-launch/

Apple's First AR/VR Headset 'Pricey, Niche Precursor' to More Ambitious AR Glasses and Could Launch Next Year

Quote:
The plans suggest that Apple's first headset will be far more expensive than those from rivals, which cost about $300 to $900. Some Apple insiders believe the company may sell only one headset per day per retail store. Apple has roughly 500 stores, so in that scenario, annual sales would be just over 180,000 units — excluding other sales channels. That would put it on par with other pricey Apple products, such as the $5,999 Mac Pro desktop computer. An Apple spokesman declined to comment

Rage3d is the BEST forum!! There are alot of smart people on here!! -phexus
Shapeshifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21, 2021, 08:11 PM   #1725
Trunks0
Keeping an open mind

Trunks0 can recite pi backwardsTrunks0 can recite pi backwardsTrunks0 can recite pi backwardsTrunks0 can recite pi backwardsTrunks0 can recite pi backwardsTrunks0 can recite pi backwardsTrunks0 can recite pi backwards

Subscriber

The idea of selling them at 1 unit per store, per day is radically uber extremely idiotic. I put a little more work into it, it's Annoyingly Petty Pathetic Lousy and Evil. If only mildy evil

System:
Asus TUF Gaming X570-Pro - AMD Ryzen 7 5800x - Noctua NH-D15S chromax.Black - 32gb of G.Skill Trident Z NEO - Asus DRW-24F1ST DVD±RW - Samsung 850 Evo 250Gib - 4TiB Seagate - XFX MERC 308 Radeon RX 6600XT - Creative AE-5 Plus - Windows 10 64-bit

Last edited by Trunks0 : Jan 21, 2021 at 08:18 PM. Reason: *late edit...*
Trunks0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22, 2021, 03:14 PM   #1726
Exposed
ESB Sports Bookie

Exposed can recite pi backwardsExposed can recite pi backwardsExposed can recite pi backwardsExposed can recite pi backwardsExposed can recite pi backwardsExposed can recite pi backwardsExposed can recite pi backwards

I'd really like to know what kind of screen they plan on putting in there. Not gonna be worth thousands of dollars though regardless.
Exposed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31, 2021, 12:18 AM   #1727
demo
space cadet

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjjayb View Post
It was a dissappointment. Don't get me wrong, it's amazing being in the medal of honor world in VR. It just feels like they made the game without ever actually playing it in VR.

I got it and yeh it kinda sucks... the controls feel wack after playing Alyx.
Old Feb 4, 2021, 05:38 PM   #1728
Shapeshifter
Radeon Arctic Islands

Shapeshifter doesn't need no stinkin' badgesShapeshifter doesn't need no stinkin' badgesShapeshifter doesn't need no stinkin' badgesShapeshifter doesn't need no stinkin' badgesShapeshifter doesn't need no stinkin' badgesShapeshifter doesn't need no stinkin' badgesShapeshifter doesn't need no stinkin' badgesShapeshifter doesn't need no stinkin' badgesShapeshifter doesn't need no stinkin' badges

https://www.roadtovr.com/report-appl...-headset-n301/

Apple’s First VR Headset Rumored to Cost $3,000 & Include 8K Displays

Rage3d is the BEST forum!! There are alot of smart people on here!! -phexus
Shapeshifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5, 2021, 01:44 AM   #1729
Trunks0
Keeping an open mind

Trunks0 can recite pi backwardsTrunks0 can recite pi backwardsTrunks0 can recite pi backwardsTrunks0 can recite pi backwardsTrunks0 can recite pi backwardsTrunks0 can recite pi backwardsTrunks0 can recite pi backwards

Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shapeshifter View Post

fail

System:
Asus TUF Gaming X570-Pro - AMD Ryzen 7 5800x - Noctua NH-D15S chromax.Black - 32gb of G.Skill Trident Z NEO - Asus DRW-24F1ST DVD±RW - Samsung 850 Evo 250Gib - 4TiB Seagate - XFX MERC 308 Radeon RX 6600XT - Creative AE-5 Plus - Windows 10 64-bit
Old Feb 5, 2021, 07:55 AM   #1730
AllexxisF1
F- Insurrectionists

AllexxisF1 once jumped the English ChannelAllexxisF1 once jumped the English ChannelAllexxisF1 once jumped the English ChannelAllexxisF1 once jumped the English ChannelAllexxisF1 once jumped the English ChannelAllexxisF1 once jumped the English ChannelAllexxisF1 once jumped the English ChannelAllexxisF1 once jumped the English ChannelAllexxisF1 once jumped the English ChannelAllexxisF1 once jumped the English ChannelAllexxisF1 once jumped the English Channel

Apple getting into the VR game is awesome though. Sure, they will rocket the price for it, but it helps.
AllexxisF1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5, 2021, 08:20 AM   #1731
Exposed
ESB Sports Bookie

Exposed can recite pi backwardsExposed can recite pi backwardsExposed can recite pi backwardsExposed can recite pi backwardsExposed can recite pi backwardsExposed can recite pi backwardsExposed can recite pi backwards

That's not a niche for that price, that's a speck of dust within a niche located on a hermit's ass.

The only thing that interests me is the 8k display, but we'll see that soon enough on other upcoming headsets anyway.

It would be nice though to have a VR display with the visual fidelity of HP Reverb G2, controllers of the Index, and tracking sensors of Vive all in one package from one manufacturer for the price of a Quest. Maybe one day.
Exposed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5, 2021, 08:25 AM   #1732
AllexxisF1
F- Insurrectionists

AllexxisF1 once jumped the English ChannelAllexxisF1 once jumped the English ChannelAllexxisF1 once jumped the English ChannelAllexxisF1 once jumped the English ChannelAllexxisF1 once jumped the English ChannelAllexxisF1 once jumped the English ChannelAllexxisF1 once jumped the English ChannelAllexxisF1 once jumped the English ChannelAllexxisF1 once jumped the English ChannelAllexxisF1 once jumped the English ChannelAllexxisF1 once jumped the English Channel

Apple is always looking for their next gadget idea to steal and then own the market of it for a few years. Whether it's the ipod, smart phone, ipad, ear buds this is the next best consumer and business gadget for the near future.

A VR headset like the Oculus Quest is right up their alley. Especially when they can build an entire eco-system around it. Utilizing their phones, their new chips, like damn, Apple could possibly be THE reason VR takes off.

I'm excited about it.
AllexxisF1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5, 2021, 08:44 AM   #1733
Nascar24
EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 Ultra

Nascar24 is not someone to be trifled withNascar24 is not someone to be trifled withNascar24 is not someone to be trifled withNascar24 is not someone to be trifled withNascar24 is not someone to be trifled withNascar24 is not someone to be trifled withNascar24 is not someone to be trifled withNascar24 is not someone to be trifled with

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shapeshifter View Post

I struggle with the idea of spending $299 on the Quest 2, more so because I have the first Quest. Yea no thanks. But typical Apple.
Nascar24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5, 2021, 02:43 PM   #1734
Trunks0
Keeping an open mind

Subscriber

At that price, and the rumoured low availability... it really is starting to sound like a development, educational and commercial device. Because none of this lines up with it being a consumer device at all.

System:
Old Feb 5, 2021, 03:02 PM   #1735
logical
What is my purpose?

logical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pm

Apple really doesnt do commercial though. Most of their money comes from selling consumers stuff. Id imagine the first iteration of their devices will be expensive but if they can penetrate the market and get more people on board they can start lowering the price. People will buy it just cause its apple.

Look at their new over the ear headset airpods pro, they go for 500-600 bucks and they sold out instantly.

Apple has always been interested in AR stuff so it only makes sense that they will eventually do some VR stuff.

logical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5, 2021, 03:38 PM   #1736
Trunks0
Keeping an open mind

Subscriber

It's not their primary wheel house. But they do stuff that isn't targeted at the general consumer market. But all this rumour could end up wrong, but it's really not looking promising for this device.

System:
Old Feb 5, 2021, 03:48 PM   #1737
Nagorak
Incarnation of the Nether

Nagorak can recite pi backwardsNagorak can recite pi backwardsNagorak can recite pi backwardsNagorak can recite pi backwardsNagorak can recite pi backwardsNagorak can recite pi backwardsNagorak can recite pi backwards

I'm not convinced 8K displays are necessary right now. We don't have the GPU horsepower to push that kind of resolution anyway. There is already next to no SDE with 4K displays, and the clarity is pretty damn good, as well.

Ten years down the line? Sure, 8K displays would be great. But we need something like a 200-300% increase in GPU performance before it becomes viable to run in anything besides super low end applications.
Nagorak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5, 2021, 03:50 PM   #1738
logical
What is my purpose?

logical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nagorak View Post
I'm not convinced 8K displays are necessary right now. We don't have the GPU horsepower to push that kind of resolution anyway. There is already next to no SDE with 4K displays, and the clarity is pretty damn good, as well.

Ten years down the line? Sure, 8K displays would be great. But we need something like a 200-300% increase in GPU performance before it becomes viable to run in anything besides super low end applications.

Im sure apple will leverage their own chips and sdk and keep the system closed so they can siphon as much money out as possible. Not worried about whats out there when it comes to Apple.

logical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5, 2021, 04:16 PM   #1739
Trunks0
Keeping an open mind

Subscriber

If you use Foveated rendering, you can massively reduce that power needed while giving you greater clarity towards the centre of the image. But your right, it's not really needed

System:
Old Mar 3, 2021, 11:48 AM   #1740
Mangler
PC

Mangler exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselMangler exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselMangler exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselMangler exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselMangler exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselMangler exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselMangler exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselMangler exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselMangler exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselMangler exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselMangler exchanges holiday cards with Vin Diesel

Looks like Sony is at it again, looks like Doom 3 VR is PSVR exclusive.
Mangler is offline   Reply With Quote