Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Gaming and Computing Forums » General Hardware
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

General Hardware Talk about PCs/Macs, motherboards, CPUs, sound cards, RAM, hard drives, networking and everything else about computer hardware!

Old Nov 26, 2021, 10:37 AM   #1
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
Destroy
Radeon Arctic Islands

Destroy once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Destroy once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Destroy once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Destroy once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Destroy once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Destroy once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

Default Truly quiet PC case exist?

'Silent' cases out there are a joke.

Screaming video card sound is going to go straight out the open back venting on all current 'quiet' cases.

I don't see a single case addressing the sound exiting directly out the back.

Does one exist?
Old Nov 26, 2021, 11:12 AM   #2
Trunks0
Keeping an open mind

Trunks0 can recite pi backwardsTrunks0 can recite pi backwardsTrunks0 can recite pi backwardsTrunks0 can recite pi backwardsTrunks0 can recite pi backwardsTrunks0 can recite pi backwardsTrunks0 can recite pi backwards

Subscriber

That's usually because in quiet builds you try to choose GPU's with the quietest cooling solutions you can. Or switch the cooling to one.

I don't think I've seen a case, or accessory, that tries to deal with the exhaust audio. Damn good idea though, you could build a sound trap, or diffuser, box or panel at the exhaust end of your case pretty easily.

System:
Asus TUF Gaming X570-Pro - AMD Ryzen 7 5800x - Noctua NH-D15S chromax.Black - 32gb of G.Skill Trident Z NEO - Asus DRW-24F1ST DVD±RW - Samsung 850 Evo 250Gib - 4TiB Seagate - XFX MERC 308 Radeon RX 6600XT - Creative AE-5 Plus - Windows 10 64-bit
Trunks0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 26, 2021, 11:13 AM   #3
Nunz
RIP Roxen

Nunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand suns

You want a hotbox I guess where you overheat the GPU?
"If you can't handle me when I'm bulking, you don't deserve me when I'm cut." -- Marilyn Monbroe
Nunz is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Nov 26, 2021, 11:20 AM   #4
Shapeshifter
Radeon Arctic Islands

Shapeshifter doesn't need no stinkin' badgesShapeshifter doesn't need no stinkin' badgesShapeshifter doesn't need no stinkin' badgesShapeshifter doesn't need no stinkin' badgesShapeshifter doesn't need no stinkin' badgesShapeshifter doesn't need no stinkin' badgesShapeshifter doesn't need no stinkin' badgesShapeshifter doesn't need no stinkin' badgesShapeshifter doesn't need no stinkin' badges

something like a define R series is about as good as you can get. just make sure it's a solid side panel and not a glass one.

With the front door closed it's pretty silent for me, I just open it when I'm doing something that requires the fans to ramp up and that works fine. in that way it acts like many other mesh front cases.

Rage3d is the BEST forum!! There are alot of smart people on here!! -phexus
Shapeshifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 26, 2021, 11:45 AM   #5
bill dennison
Rage3D Spammer

bill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppers

not without water and or good air cooled video cards like on my 2080 ti Strix's newer video cards may need water only again as the wattage gets higher

a big case like a CaseLabs MAGNUM TX10-D or the single system version if they make it again helps alot also as it is big and has lots of air volume inside to trap sound

Last edited by bill dennison : Nov 26, 2021 at 11:50 AM.
bill dennison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 26, 2021, 01:03 PM   #6
pax
Rage3D Spammer

pax once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'pax once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'pax once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'pax once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'pax once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'pax once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

The great challenge between airflow and noise dampening and imo also style that isnt a plain spartan box.

There isnt much out there that covers all bases.

Piledriver Rig 2016: Gigabyte G1 gaming 990fx. FX 8350 cpu. XFX RX 480 GTR Cats 21.6.1, SoundBlaster ZXR, 2 x 8 gig ddr3 1866 Kingston. 1 x 2tb Firecuda seagate with 8 gig mlc SSHD. Sharp 60" 4k 60 hz tv. Win 10 home.

Ryzen Rig 2017: Gigabyte X370 K7 F50d bios. Ryzen 5800X3D :). 2 x 8 ddr4 3600 (@3200) Cas 16 Gskill. Sapphire Vega 64 Reference Cooler Cats 22.4.1. 1700 mhz @1.1v. Soundblaster X Ae5, 32" Dell S3220DGF 1440p Freesync Premium Pro monitor, Kingston A2000 1TB NVME. 4 TB HGST NAS HD. Win 11 pro.

Ignore List: Keystone, Andino... -My Baron, he wishes to inform you that vendetta, as he puts it in the ancient tongue, the art of kanlee is still alive... He does not wish to meet or speak with you...-
"Either half my colleagues are enormously stupid, or else the science of darwinism is fully compatible with conventional religious beliefs and equally compatible with atheism." -Stephen Jay Gould, Rock of Ages.
"The Intelligibility of the Universe itself needs explanation. It is not the gaps of understanding of the world that points to God but rather the very comprehensibility of scientific and other forms of understanding that requires an explanation." -Richard Swinburne

www.realitysandwich.com

www.makepovertyhistory.org
pax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 2021, 01:58 PM   #7
andino
Radeon Arctic Islands

andino can recite pi backwardsandino can recite pi backwardsandino can recite pi backwardsandino can recite pi backwardsandino can recite pi backwardsandino can recite pi backwardsandino can recite pi backwards

Quote:
Originally Posted by Destroy View Post
Does one exist?
Sure, but they cost a ton. Mainly because to get really quiet you have to have a custom loop and a big enough case with enough fan ports for your radiators. All of that increases the cost.
andino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 2021, 03:34 PM   #8
Mangler
PC

Mangler exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselMangler exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselMangler exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselMangler exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselMangler exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselMangler exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselMangler exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselMangler exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselMangler exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselMangler exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselMangler exchanges holiday cards with Vin Diesel

And when you finally have that, then you are at the mercy of coil whine/electronic noise.
Mangler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 2021, 07:54 PM   #9
andino
Radeon Arctic Islands

andino can recite pi backwardsandino can recite pi backwardsandino can recite pi backwardsandino can recite pi backwardsandino can recite pi backwardsandino can recite pi backwardsandino can recite pi backwards

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mangler View Post
And when you finally have that, then you are at the mercy of coil whine/electronic noise.
Compared to the hair dryer sounds?
Old Nov 27, 2021, 08:06 PM   #10
Mangler
PC

Mangler exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselMangler exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselMangler exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselMangler exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselMangler exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselMangler exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselMangler exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselMangler exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselMangler exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselMangler exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselMangler exchanges holiday cards with Vin Diesel

No, compared to normal not so loud stuff, let's be honest, the gpus of today aren't that loud.

Blowers have not really been a thing ever since the 1xxx series.
Old Nov 27, 2021, 08:07 PM   #11
Trunks0
Keeping an open mind

Trunks0 can recite pi backwardsTrunks0 can recite pi backwardsTrunks0 can recite pi backwardsTrunks0 can recite pi backwardsTrunks0 can recite pi backwardsTrunks0 can recite pi backwardsTrunks0 can recite pi backwards

Subscriber

Good air cooling isn't loud at all. But finding a GPU with a cooler that's quiet... bleh that just makes things harder these days. I got a little lucky, my XFX is pretty quiet.

System:
Asus TUF Gaming X570-Pro - AMD Ryzen 7 5800x - Noctua NH-D15S chromax.Black - 32gb of G.Skill Trident Z NEO - Asus DRW-24F1ST DVD±RW - Samsung 850 Evo 250Gib - 4TiB Seagate - XFX MERC 308 Radeon RX 6600XT - Creative AE-5 Plus - Windows 10 64-bit
Trunks0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 2021, 09:31 PM   #12
andino
Radeon Arctic Islands

Quote:
No, compared to normal not so loud stuff, let's be honest, the gpus of today aren't that loud.
Tell that to my 3090 that roared under my desk.

The 3090 draws 360~425 watts.
The 3080 draws 320~400 watts.

You have to dissipate that heat somehow. Because of the higher heat and wattage the 3080's and 3090's are actually louder than the 1080's.

https://www.gamersnexus.net/hwreviews/2438-nvidia-geforce-gtx-1080-founders-edition-review-and-fps-benchmark/page-3#:~:text=The%20GTX%201080's%20100%25%20setting,the%20980%20at%2059.52dB.

1080's were 57db.

https://lanoc.org/review/video-cards...dition?start=9

3080 FE's are 59.7db.

Quote:
Blowers have not really been a thing ever since the 1xxx series.
Sound is sound. 3 fans blowing vs 1 blower doesn't really matter with sound levels. The 3 fans are louder than the blower.
Old Nov 27, 2021, 11:04 PM   #13
KAC
All ur gays r belong 2 me

KAC glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsKAC glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsKAC glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsKAC glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsKAC glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsKAC glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsKAC glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsKAC glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsKAC glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsKAC glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsKAC glows with the radiance of a thousand suns

There is only one way to quiet down a PC case just like you do a hoe. Turn it off.
KAC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2021, 05:11 AM   #14
Mangler
PC

Quote:
Originally Posted by andino View Post

You have to dissipate that heat somehow. Because of the higher heat and wattage the 3080's and 3090's are actually louder than the 1080's.

https://www.gamersnexus.net/hwreviews/2438-nvidia-geforce-gtx-1080-founders-edition-review-and-fps-benchmark/page-3#:~:text=The%20GTX%201080's%20100%25%20setting,the%20980%20at%2059.52dB.

1080's were 57db.

3080 FE's are 59.7db.

Sound is sound. 3 fans blowing vs 1 blower doesn't really matter with sound levels. The 3 fans are louder than the blower.
One blower pushing air through a dense fin-array is going to have a more unpleasant sound than three axial fans, sound isn't just sound, the type of sound matters.

Also, out of the two, the 1080 is the one that is more likely to actually come close to a 100% fan speed during actual use, so how useful is the 100% stat?

Last edited by Mangler : Nov 28, 2021 at 05:17 AM.
Old Nov 28, 2021, 07:15 AM   #15
Destroy
Radeon Arctic Islands

Destroy once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Destroy once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Destroy once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Destroy once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Destroy once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Destroy once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

I'm confused, in what we are talking about, what is a fan vs blower look like? Are you talking video card or case?
Old Nov 28, 2021, 02:52 PM   #16
andino
Radeon Arctic Islands

Quote:
One blower pushing air through a dense fin-array is going to have a more unpleasant sound than three axial fans, sound isn't just sound, the type of sound matters.
I stand by the fact that coil whine and electronic noise is a quieter issue to deal with than a 3080 pumping out 59.7 decibels of noise.

And when it comes to computer noise and reducing it, sound is sound. The decibels are what matters not the timbre of the sounds.

Quote:
Also, out of the two, the 1080 is the one that is more likely to actually come close to a 100% fan speed during actual use, so how useful is the 100% stat?
They put the fans at 100% to test the sound levels with the fans on each card. That way they can give people a better understanding of how loud a card is.

In this case, a 3080 is louder than a 1080.

It's part of benchmarking cards these days.
Old Nov 28, 2021, 02:56 PM   #17
andino
Radeon Arctic Islands

Quote:
Originally Posted by Destroy View Post
I'm confused, in what we are talking about, what is a fan vs blower look like? Are you talking video card or case?
I'm trying to make a point that sound in a case is sound in a case. If you have a loud component, like a video card, then you need to try to make that quiet. The best way to do that is to put a water cooler on it. Mangler was then saying that you had to deal with coil wine even with a water cooler. My point was then that coil wine is a lot less loud than a video card pumping out 60 decibels.

Don't know where the blower vs fan stuff came into play. It might have been where he said that the 1080's are quieter than the 3080's which simply isn't true.

Either way, a custom loop is the quietest option out there to make a quiet case.
Old Nov 28, 2021, 03:17 PM   #18
Mangler
PC

I never claimed that coil whine was louder than anything else, just that the quieter your rig is, the more annoying electronical noise get.

And that modern cards aren't that loud, which would solve destroy problem too.
Old Nov 28, 2021, 06:26 PM   #19
Nagorak
Incarnation of the Nether

Nagorak can recite pi backwardsNagorak can recite pi backwardsNagorak can recite pi backwardsNagorak can recite pi backwardsNagorak can recite pi backwardsNagorak can recite pi backwardsNagorak can recite pi backwards

I second that a water cooled GPU can be effectively silent. Just run the fans on low speed with a large enough radiator. Other than that you can run most GPUs with their fan profile cranked down so they run at higher temperatures. It will impact performance somewhat, but probably not more than about 10%.

A case in itself can't reduce the noise a fan/GPU cooler inside it makes. Not unless you go heavy with sound deadening materials. I actually did that back in the "bad old days" of the early 2000s when 120mm fans were a rarity and instead we had screaming 60mm fans that sounded like a high pitched jet engine. It's not really practical though. It's easier to simply address the actual issue which is reducing fan speed/buying quieter fans.
Nagorak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29, 2021, 10:50 AM   #20
Destroy
Radeon Arctic Islands

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trunks0 View Post

I don't think I've seen a case, or accessory, that tries to deal with the exhaust audio. Damn good idea though, you could build a sound trap, or diffuser, box or panel at the exhaust end of your case pretty easily.
Yup, this could be done and still have decent air flow.

Just no one seems to have designed and marketed this apparently.

Yeah, it'd be pretty big but who cares, filing cabinets are big too and they still get used.
Old Nov 29, 2021, 11:12 AM   #21
pax
Rage3D Spammer

pax once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'pax once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'pax once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'pax once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'pax once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'pax once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

Some mufflers are pretty small. I was looking at one for the UTV recently, but they would still be long enough to bother. Unless you could build inside the case for a ways. Looking at my case it could go inside of it by about 4-5" dpeending on the cooler. Put in another 4-5" poking out the back or 2-3" with a 90 degree upswing it would be enough for some baffles and fiberglass. Id skip that last but itd still be a dust magnet yea...

Almost done the front on the case here I might look into this just for kicks.

Piledriver Rig 2016: Gigabyte G1 gaming 990fx. FX 8350 cpu. XFX RX 480 GTR Cats 21.6.1, SoundBlaster ZXR, 2 x 8 gig ddr3 1866 Kingston. 1 x 2tb Firecuda seagate with 8 gig mlc SSHD. Sharp 60" 4k 60 hz tv. Win 10 home.

Ryzen Rig 2017: Gigabyte X370 K7 F50d bios. Ryzen 5800X3D :). 2 x 8 ddr4 3600 (@3200) Cas 16 Gskill. Sapphire Vega 64 Reference Cooler Cats 22.4.1. 1700 mhz @1.1v. Soundblaster X Ae5, 32" Dell S3220DGF 1440p Freesync Premium Pro monitor, Kingston A2000 1TB NVME. 4 TB HGST NAS HD. Win 11 pro.

Ignore List: Keystone, Andino... -My Baron, he wishes to inform you that vendetta, as he puts it in the ancient tongue, the art of kanlee is still alive... He does not wish to meet or speak with you...-
"Either half my colleagues are enormously stupid, or else the science of darwinism is fully compatible with conventional religious beliefs and equally compatible with atheism." -Stephen Jay Gould, Rock of Ages.
"The Intelligibility of the Universe itself needs explanation. It is not the gaps of understanding of the world that points to God but rather the very comprehensibility of scientific and other forms of understanding that requires an explanation." -Richard Swinburne

www.realitysandwich.com

www.makepovertyhistory.org
pax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30, 2021, 03:49 AM   #22
bill dennison
Rage3D Spammer

bill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppers

Quote:
only thing i ever had coil whine on was on a ATI 4890 reference card and i RMA that and stopped buying reference cards
Old Nov 30, 2021, 04:00 AM   #23
bill dennison
Rage3D Spammer

Quote:
Originally Posted by andino View Post

1080's were 57db.

3080 FE's are 59.7db.

1080 ti Strix was 33 dBA and the 2080 ti Strix was 37 dBA

https://www.techpowerup.com/review/a...rix-oc/28.html

https://www.techpowerup.com/review/a...rix-oc/32.html

i didn't have to water cool them

the 3090 Strix at 42 dBA i would

https://www.techpowerup.com/review/a...rix-oc/31.html