Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Graphics Technology Forums » Other Graphics Cards and 3D Technologies
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Other Graphics Cards and 3D Technologies Discussion forum for any graphics hardware not provided by AMD/ATI. Also place to discuss 3D technologies such as 3D Stereo, PhysX and other interesting developments/rumours in the 3D industry.

Old Feb 25, 2022, 02:05 PM   #451
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
acroig
Troll SMod

acroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand suns

Quote:
Originally Posted by bill dennison View Post
i'm buying RDNA 3 anyway

you could also come to the light side
I would be happy to, the day they can run RT games at speed.
acroig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 25, 2022, 03:05 PM   #452
LordHawkwind
Harbinger of Doom

LordHawkwind once held a door open for a complete strangerLordHawkwind once held a door open for a complete strangerLordHawkwind once held a door open for a complete stranger

ATI Technologies

Quote:
i'm buying RDNA 3 anyway

you could also come to the light side
If these rumours are true about PSU requirements then if AMD 7800/7900 is any good I'll be back in a heart beat. We'll see I guess I'm in no rush.
Ryzen 7 3800X, ASUS Prime X470 Pro, KFA2 RTX 3090 SG, 16GB Crucial DDR4 LPX 3000 Ram, iiyama G-Master GB3466WQSU 3440x1440 freesync 144hz, 250gb Samsung SSD, 750mb Seagate SSHD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda H/D, 1 TB Samsung H/D, 850w PSU, Windows 10
LordHawkwind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 3, 2022, 07:25 AM   #453
acroig
Troll SMod

acroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand suns

Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Mar 3, 2022, 08:00 AM   #454
badsykes
Radeon Arctic Islands

badsykes once held a door open for a complete strangerbadsykes once held a door open for a complete strangerbadsykes once held a door open for a complete strangerbadsykes once held a door open for a complete stranger

Quote:
Finally, we have the RTX 4060 and 4050 powered by the AD106 and the AD107, respectively. The former will pack a total of 4,608 cores across 36 SMs, and the latter will cut it down to 3,072 cores across 24 SMs. The RTX 4060 will likely be paired with 12GB of GDDR6 memory across a 128-bit bus while the RTX 4050 will combine 8GB across a 128-bit bus. These SKUs should have a TBP of 250W, and 200W, respectively, with a launch slated for early 2023.

This will be a very power hungry series launch from top to bottom.

250watt for a RTX4060 128bit bus card .... fancy
250watts at a 4060/3060 segment will be hard to swallow for many.They will need a bare minimum 650watt / 750watt power supply.
The 250watts is present around at 600$ msrp level with current generation.
Old Mar 3, 2022, 09:00 AM   #455
bill dennison
Rage3D Spammer

bill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppers

Quote:
Originally Posted by acroig View Post

almost 2x the watts of a 3090 that in real settings can hit 500+ watts
bill dennison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 3, 2022, 09:44 AM   #456
acroig
Troll SMod

Quote:

almost 2x the watts of a 3090 that in real settings can hit 500+ watts
I'm hoping 4080 can stay around 450W, not buying another PSU.
Old Mar 3, 2022, 09:54 AM   #457
bill dennison
Rage3D Spammer

bill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppers

Quote:
I'm hoping 4080 can stay around 450W, not buying another PSU.
they may rate it at 450 but like the 3080/90 it will go a lot higher
expect 600+ spikes if rated at 450 watts

i got a 1200 watt PSU for SLI but don't want to use it for one card
Old Mar 3, 2022, 10:04 AM   #458
badsykes
Radeon Arctic Islands

badsykes once held a door open for a complete strangerbadsykes once held a door open for a complete strangerbadsykes once held a door open for a complete strangerbadsykes once held a door open for a complete stranger

Quote:
they may rate it at 450 but like the 3080/90 it will go a lot higher
expect 600+ spikes if rated at 450 watts

i got a 1200 watt PSU for SLI but don't want to use it for one card
Old Mar 3, 2022, 01:43 PM   #459
Leprechaun
Radeon Arctic Islands

Leprechaun can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyLeprechaun can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyLeprechaun can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

One 3090 keeps me warm in winter, and it unbearable in summer.
I can't imagine 450/600/800W GPU.
That's not usable.
Old Mar 3, 2022, 04:45 PM   #460
demo
space cadet

demo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieseldemo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieseldemo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieseldemo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieseldemo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieseldemo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieseldemo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieseldemo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieseldemo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieseldemo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieseldemo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Diesel

Yeh I agree. I need to turn the A/C on just to game with 3090 atm, otherwise the room is like a sauna in 20mins.
Old Mar 3, 2022, 04:57 PM   #461
bill dennison
Rage3D Spammer

NVidia advancing global warming one GPU at a time

I didn't know the jacket was a Griswold
Old Mar 3, 2022, 05:19 PM   #462
acroig
Troll SMod

Quote:
NVidia advancing global warming one GPU at a time

I didn't know the jacket was a Griswold
Old Mar 3, 2022, 09:50 PM   #463
Nascar24
EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 Ultra

Nascar24 is not someone to be trifled withNascar24 is not someone to be trifled withNascar24 is not someone to be trifled withNascar24 is not someone to be trifled withNascar24 is not someone to be trifled withNascar24 is not someone to be trifled withNascar24 is not someone to be trifled withNascar24 is not someone to be trifled with

Quote:
Originally Posted by demo View Post
Yeh I agree. I need to turn the A/C on just to game with 3090 atm, otherwise the room is like a sauna in 20mins.
Definitely in the Warm months, my 3080 is a nice heater in the winter though.
Nascar24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 4, 2022, 02:05 AM   #464
badsykes
Radeon Arctic Islands

I want you guys to consider that the next generation from Nvidia with very high power wattage will have much bigger problem with coil whine unless there will some new invention.
Old Mar 4, 2022, 08:02 AM   #465
acroig
Troll SMod

Quote:
Originally Posted by badsykes View Post
I want you guys to consider that the next generation from Nvidia with very high power wattage will have much bigger problem with coil whine unless there will some new invention.
I have a 450W card and it has no coil whine all the way to 300FPS.
Old Mar 4, 2022, 08:04 AM   #466
Nunz
RIP Roxen

Nunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand suns

Quote:
Wattage and coil whine are not directly correlated.
"If you can't handle me when I'm bulking, you don't deserve me when I'm cut." -- Marilyn Monbroe
Nunz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 4, 2022, 08:25 AM   #467
badsykes
Radeon Arctic Islands

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nunz View Post
Wattage and coil whine are not directly correlated.
Inductors that can sustain very high current loads are also coil whiners.This are needed for high wattage gpu's.

Old Mar 4, 2022, 09:29 AM   #468
bill dennison
Rage3D Spammer

Quote:
I have a 450W card and it has no coil whine all the way to 300FPS.

i have not had any card have coil whine in years since a ati 4890 reference card
stopped buying reference cards and would RMA any high end aftermarket card like a strix that had it .

i did worry about getting the asrock oc formula radeon rx 6900 as i never had a asrock before, but it is fine

but at 1500+ these things better not have coil whine or they can have them back .
Old Mar 4, 2022, 09:31 AM   #469
acroig
Troll SMod

Quote:
but at 1500+ these things better not have coil whine or they can have them back .
This!!
Old Mar 4, 2022, 09:49 AM   #470
Nunz
RIP Roxen

Nunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand suns

Quote:
Inductors that can sustain very high current loads are also coil whiners.This are needed for high wattage gpu's.

I said directly correlated.

Explain why your GPU is whining on desktop when it's pulling extremely low wattage..
"If you can't handle me when I'm bulking, you don't deserve me when I'm cut." -- Marilyn Monbroe
Nunz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 4, 2022, 09:54 AM   #471
badsykes
Radeon Arctic Islands

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nunz View Post
I said directly correlated.

Explain why your GPU is whining on desktop when it's pulling extremely low wattage..
Only in load is whining and ironically is whining only in games RDR2 and Metro Exodus.If i do furmark and heaven whining is very low or inexistent.
Old Mar 4, 2022, 09:57 AM   #472
badsykes
Radeon Arctic Islands

Quote:

i have not had any card have coil whine in years since a ati 4890 reference card
stopped buying reference cards and would RMA any high end aftermarket card like a strix that had it .

i did worry about getting the asrock oc formula radeon rx 6900 as i never had a asrock before, but it is fine

If you look at the comments there is at least one guy with 6900xt that have much worse coil whine than me.
https://www.reddit.com/r/Amd/comment...ll_its_insane/
Another aspect that is not told by manufacturers of gpu's is to NOT use an Y connector to the GPU.

quote from another guy:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YFfoTluSOEc

Emanuel W.
1 month ago
There's so many factors. I had a 760w fractal ion+ PSU. My RX6800XT had no whine at all. Changed to a Aorus RX6900XT Master and from about 150 watt usage+ it whines. It always depends on the amount of wattage fed to the card. So, can be the material of inductors, can be the accuracy of voltage fed by the psu. There's tolerances.

Another guy:

pino de vogel
6 months ago
I ran my 6900XT with a cooler master GM650 and i had coil whine from hell. The worst i had ever heard. Swapped it with a Corshair RM1000x and poof coil whine form hell is almost gone. Itss still there bubt you barely hear it now which is totally acceptable.
Power delivery is Key. And rails are relevant. if you have a multi rail you connect 2 cables both to different rails if you have a single rail you stiill always use a second cable. but 2 cables on a bad PSU still equals coil whine from hell.
So use both 2 cabled (from different rails if you have a multirail) and use a propper power supply.
On top of that make sure your rails are at least 25 amps each for these powerfull cards on a multirail psu.
And yes it can in theory be a fire hazzard. the more current you run trough a cable the hotter it gets till you have a fire (its actually the plastic casing that catches fire first) and if 2 metal whires touch you can get a arc and all hell breaks lose. it is unlikely but i can happen.

I was thinking to actually try a new PSU 850watt platinum.Some combinations of PSU/GPU give coil whine.
Some people say PSU from Seasonic and EVGA give coil whine.New GPU = new challenges. :P
As buildzoid said on very high current GPU's only some specific inductors can be put.Their design give whining.This is why i said that i expect the next gen to be prone to whining unless there is some new invention.
I remember i had serious coil whine on my 2900xt back in the times.That card was uber power hungry.It actually destroyed a Thermaltake 460watts PSU.Back in the days i was not educated that a 2900xt would require much larger PSU.

Last edited by badsykes : Mar 4, 2022 at 10:22 AM.
badsykes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 4, 2022, 10:00 AM   #473
acroig
Troll SMod

If only we had a thread about that subject......

Oh, wait!
http://www.rage3d.com/board/showthread.php?t=34053617
Old Mar 4, 2022, 10:14 AM   #474
Mangler
PC

Mangler exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselMangler exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselMangler exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselMangler exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselMangler exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselMangler exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselMangler exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselMangler exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselMangler exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselMangler exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselMangler exchanges holiday cards with Vin Diesel

I guess the ps5 must be a high wattage unit since it can suffer from some pretty nasty coilwhine if you are unlucky.

Mangler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 4, 2022, 10:33 AM   #475
badsykes
Radeon Arctic Islands

Quote:
If only we had a thread about that subject......

Oh, wait!
http://www.rage3d.com/board/showthread.php?t=34053617
You can move the posts there.
I just warned the people here regarding next gen nvidia to not get very excited.
Old Mar 4, 2022, 10:41 AM   #476
acroig
Troll SMod

Back on topic please all, thanks.

Feel free to discuss coil whine in its own thread.
Old Mar 4, 2022, 07:06 PM   #477
bill dennison
Rage3D Spammer

NV users next PSU

two for 4090 SLI
Old Mar 4, 2022, 09:08 PM   #478
badsykes
Radeon Arctic Islands

Quote:
NV users next PSU

two for 4090 SLI
Put the price too ...
Old Mar 4, 2022, 10:05 PM   #479
bill dennison
Rage3D Spammer

Quote:
Put the price too ...
https://www.dreamstime.com/stock-vid...-video43650137
Old Mar 5, 2022, 05:39 AM   #480
badsykes
Radeon Arctic Islands

Quote:
If you don't dare to put it i will then.As Seyiji said i scare the kids so the Corsair AX1600i costs 610 $
The KWatt era is around the corner :P