Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Gaming and Computing Forums » General Hardware
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

General Hardware Talk about PCs/Macs, motherboards, CPUs, sound cards, RAM, hard drives, networking and everything else about computer hardware!

Old Dec 10, 2020, 05:15 AM   #1
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
KAC
It might be gays!

KAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dial

Default Ryzen 5000 series overclocking guide

So I got a new 5600X since my 5900X is lost somewhere in transit.

Anyways, I am trying to overclock this mofo but it is really annoying af.
Most likely I got a shite chip is what I think has happened. I can't seem to get it running stable at 4.85 Gs. I tried OC using PBO and also manual.

So what else can I try. Also my Cinebench R20 scores are crap.

SC is 510 (my 8086K tuned was 550) - should be 610
MC is 3650 (my 8086K tuned was 3450) - should be 4700

What gives? How much voltage should be enough for this puppy?

Last edited by KAC : Dec 10, 2020 at 05:37 AM.
KAC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10, 2020, 06:12 AM   #2
KAC
It might be gays!

KAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dial

Ok clocked it at 4.7 Gs with 1.35 volts. Infinity fabric at 1900 and DDR4 at 3800.
Honestly this upgrade is completely worthless. Ran WDL bench and scored 3 FPS lower than my 8086K. Albeit with newer drivers and a patch but seriously wtf?

Also CPU routinely runs at 85C temps.

Scratch that, crashed on HZD bench. Seriously.

Back to PBO that pushes proc to 4.65 Gs. Also still have infinity to 1900 and DDR4 to 3800. Next up will see what ram timings I can tighten.

I give this upgrade a useless endeavor / 10. lol.

Last edited by KAC : Dec 10, 2020 at 06:37 AM.
Old Dec 10, 2020, 06:36 AM   #3
Nascar24
EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 Ultra

Nascar24 is not someone to be trifled withNascar24 is not someone to be trifled withNascar24 is not someone to be trifled withNascar24 is not someone to be trifled withNascar24 is not someone to be trifled withNascar24 is not someone to be trifled withNascar24 is not someone to be trifled with

I believe your better off letting it do it’s thing, there is little to gain with Ryzen overclocking.
Nascar24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Dec 10, 2020, 06:52 AM   #4
KAC
It might be gays!

Yes I just let it to PBO for now. Will play some more tonight but running full blast 4.7 Gs wasn’t stable and requiring too much volts raising temps to 85C whereas on normal usage it stays around 75 C even with PBO.

I think I got a garbage chip tbh. Benches are great for real bench and only slightly better for Cinebench but otherwise gaming is exactly the same. I am not even getting the 5 FPS I hoped.

WDL is a whopping 1 FPS higher.
SOTTR is a whopping 5 FPS higher.
HZD is exactly the same.

Downloading some AMD games like BL3, FC5, FCND and ACO to see if there is something there.
Old Dec 10, 2020, 07:17 AM   #5
Nunz
RIP Roxen

Nunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand suns

Wow it's almost exactly how multiple people TOLD YOU it would be
"If you can't handle me when I'm bulking, you don't deserve me when I'm cut." -- Marilyn Monbroe
Nunz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10, 2020, 07:18 AM   #6
KAC
It might be gays!

Old Dec 10, 2020, 07:35 AM   #7
KAC
It might be gays!

So 1800 infinity fabric also doesn't work. Crashes Borderlands 3 bench which btw is 20 fps slower than my 8086K.
Old Dec 10, 2020, 07:37 AM   #8
Riptide
Avtomat Kalashnikova 1947

Riptide can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyRiptide can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

One of the pluses with ryzen is the lack of a need to overclock it manually. That can also be a negative I suppose, depending on your pov.

I keep CPB and PBO enabled, and basically just let it run. You get the voltage spikes and it runs warmer because of this, but it's as-designed behavior.

Memory overclocking seems to be where people spend the most time on the platform.

Ryzen 5950X
32GB GSkill PC 3600
ASUS TUF X570
Sapphire Nitro+ 6800 XT
Riptide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10, 2020, 08:12 AM   #9
KAC
It might be gays!

What is CPB? And do you enable these in the bios or use Ryzen Master?
Old Dec 10, 2020, 08:17 AM   #10
acroig
Troll SMod

acroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand suns

Quote:
Originally Posted by KAC View Post
I think I got a garbage chip tbh. Benches are great for real bench and only slightly better for Cinebench but otherwise gaming is exactly the same. I am not even getting the 5 FPS I hoped.
Is this the part I come in and tell you I TOLD YOU SO!!!?

Consider it done, should have kept your 8086K and put the $ toward the 3080Ti.

yoz
acroig is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10, 2020, 08:18 AM   #11
acroig
Troll SMod

acroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand suns

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nunz View Post
SMH..... you'd think he'd listen by now.

yoz
Old Dec 10, 2020, 08:26 AM   #12
Riptide
Avtomat Kalashnikova 1947

Riptide can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyRiptide can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Quote:
What is CPB? And do you enable these in the bios or use Ryzen Master?
http://letmegooglethat.com/?q=core+performance+boost

Ryzen 5950X
32GB GSkill PC 3600
ASUS TUF X570
Sapphire Nitro+ 6800 XT
Riptide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10, 2020, 09:11 AM   #13
KAC
It might be gays!

On my motherboard that setting only has Auto or Disabled.
This really isn’t a fun processor and motherboard combo. Nothing seems to be working. Anything outside PBO just flat out crashes. Heck even with PBO the processor usually stays at 4.3 GHz and when it has the mood jumps to 4.65 GHz.
Old Dec 10, 2020, 09:17 AM   #14
acroig
Troll SMod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nunz View Post
Quote:
This really isn’t a fun processor and motherboard combo. Nothing seems to be working. Anything outside PBO just flat out crashes. Heck even with PBO the processor usually stays at 4.3 GHz and when it has the mood jumps to 4.65 GHz.
OC Ryzen is a fool's errand. See if your mobo can increase the boost clock only.

yoz
Old Dec 10, 2020, 09:23 AM   #15
Nunz
RIP Roxen

Nunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand suns

Quote:
This isn't Intel. You're on a completely new platform that functions very differently, and knowing you, you haven't done any research to learn how to tune it properly. You're going to keep trying to crank an all-core OC (which isn't a good idea on Ryzen) and then complain when it keeps failing. Hell, you didn't really know how to OC your 8086K properly; constantly changing multiple settings at a time, and then wondering why you couldn't figure out what was causing instability. :facepalm:

I'm basically Nostradamus.

Do some damn research and read about the ****ing products before you buy them, dude. The 5900X you bought will have the same issues. Flat all-core OCs are not the best way to run Ryzen. If anything, just leaving PBO on and then keeping the chip as cool as possible, while cranking up the memory, is the best way to go.
"If you can't handle me when I'm bulking, you don't deserve me when I'm cut." -- Marilyn Monbroe
Old Dec 10, 2020, 09:24 AM   #16
KAC
It might be gays!

Even the memory I got is crap. If you touch the timings it just flat out doesn’t boot. Best I can do is set it to 3800 but the 1900 FCLK crashes Borderlands 3 so definitely not stable. lol.

Also anyone who recommends another MSI product again will also get abused by me.
- **** bios (when is the mood it changes to Chinese language on some boots)
- shitty pins all over the board (even saved costs on putting plastic caps around things like HD Audio and USB connectors
- no frickin clear cmos button in 2020 - wtf and the pins they have don’t come with a clear cmos jumper

Just all around shitty product. Also MSI software takes the cake in being absolutely shite. The dragon center is the worst.
Old Dec 10, 2020, 09:27 AM   #17
Nunz
RIP Roxen

Why are you using dragon center?

If 1900 FCLK is not stable, then add some voltage and then start tightening timings at 3666. You can try 3733 as well if 3800 isn't working.
Old Dec 10, 2020, 09:33 AM   #18
KAC
It might be gays!

I tightened timings at 3600 with 1.36 volts (board overvolts) and it didn’t boot.

Tried 16-16-16-16-36. I am not going to bother a lot since I need to take a flat head screw driver every time to reset bios. Which ****ing sucks ass.

As for dragon center I needed it to set RGB on motherboard. Uninstalled now.

For now I am giving up. Will continue this when my 5900x arrives.
Old Dec 10, 2020, 09:44 AM   #19
acroig
Troll SMod

Quote:
For now I am giving up. Will continue this when my 5900x arrives.
Get your 8086K back and be happy.

yoz
Old Dec 10, 2020, 10:19 AM   #20
KAC
It might be gays!

Think it’s worth doing a full windows reinstall? My son was complaining that his CSGO keeps hanging. Seems like a driver issue since I even disabled PBO now.
Old Dec 10, 2020, 10:31 AM   #21
Nunz
RIP Roxen

You went from Intel to AMD without reinstalling Windows ... ????

KAC, get your **** together. That's just silly. Full platform change with massive differences. Reinstalling Windows is a crucial step.

I'm also seriously confused why you thought leaving voltage at stock on the DRAM would allow you to tighten timings. 1.36 is not considered overvolting.

Over 500 posts in less than 25 days. You need to spend more time reading and researching and less time typing. Learn about how the new hardware works and the best way to configure it.
Old Dec 10, 2020, 10:38 AM   #22
KAC
It might be gays!

I built this system while attending calls. I also had to convert MBR to UEFI for my old windows to boot. I did a new install of windows on my new SSD but don’t feel like using that one. I will see what I can do to utilize this windows and reset it so it cleans out the garbage.

I have done windows switch over from Intel to AMD and Intel to Intel many times without issues. This time I am only having issues in CSGO thus far. Everything else is working. Will see what I do in the coming weekend.

Just generally super unhappy about this build. Apart from RGB. That like dope.
Old Dec 10, 2020, 10:40 AM   #23
Nunz
RIP Roxen

You're unhappy because you have no idea what the **** you're doing it's your own fault man..
Old Dec 10, 2020, 10:42 AM   #24
KAC
It might be gays!

Hey it’s a new platform. My comfort zone is Intel. This is why I don’t deal with AMD garbage.

Should’ve just gone Intel 10850K when I was thinking about it.
Old Dec 10, 2020, 10:43 AM   #25
acroig
Troll SMod

Quote:
Hey it’s a new platform. My comfort zone is Intel. This is why I don’t deal with AMD garbage.

You still can.....

yoz
Old Dec 10, 2020, 10:45 AM   #26
Nunz
RIP Roxen

Quote:

Yes, a new platform. Don't you think you should try to learn the new platform and research, rather than trying to treat it like your old platform?

Can't blame AMD for this one man. It's all on you lol.

10850K is a shitty chip too. Why would you want a chip that couldn't pass 10900K binning?
Old Dec 10, 2020, 10:45 AM   #27
KAC
It might be gays!

Ok fine I will put this up on sale and see if I can recoup my costs. This has been one costly endeavor. lol.
Btw I did read a overclocking guide and watched 2 videos. Basically they were showing like 5-10% improvement through overclocking. Which I haven’t seen yet lol.
Old Dec 10, 2020, 10:52 AM   #28
Meteor_of_War
USA-holes

Meteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppers

Oh lordy jesus KAC you are the worst.
Meteor_of_War is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10, 2020, 10:53 AM   #29
badsykes
Radeon Arctic Islands

badsykes once held a door open for a complete strangerbadsykes once held a door open for a complete strangerbadsykes once held a door open for a complete strangerbadsykes once held a door open for a complete stranger

This looks one of the most derailed platform change for you ....

2020 december will remain an EPIC month on rage3d ...

First no FPS increase ...
5900x is lost in bermuda triangle ....
You bought another 6 core cpu ...
MSI is unlucky name for you ...
WIndows from intel don't work on AMD platform .... That's kinda historic for you
Old Dec 10, 2020, 10:56 AM   #30
acroig
Troll SMod

Quote:
Ok fine I will put this up on sale and see if I can recoup my costs. This has been one costly endeavor. lol.
Hate to keep beating a dead horse but you should have stuck with what you had.

yoz