Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Gaming and Computing Forums » General Hardware
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

General Hardware Talk about PCs/Macs, motherboards, CPUs, sound cards, RAM, hard drives, networking and everything else about computer hardware!

Old Feb 15, 2004, 03:39 PM   #1
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
Robotzombie
The Coz

Robotzombie is still being judged by the masses

Default Computer dead stop think it is the power supply stop need confirmation stop

I went to turn on my computer today and the cpu fan started but nothing else; the bios did not enable, so nothing on my monitor, the hard drive did not rev up, no floppy whir. It also would not respond to the power off button.

I turned it off via the power switch on the PS, then tried again. Same thing, but after about 25 seconds the hard drive did in fact rev up, but still no bios or other signs of life.

Right now, when I try and turn it on either nothing happens, or the CPU fan turns on for 1-4 seconds and then stops. My diagnosis here is that I need a new PS, but I wanted to confirm that here before I spend money on one. So if anyone can confirm my hypothesis or give me a new one, I'd appreciate it.

Thanks for any responses.
Old Feb 15, 2004, 04:03 PM   #2
ToxicFool
eat samophlange

ToxicFool is still being judged by the masses

Doesn't sound like a PSU problem to me. All of my PSUs that died.. just freak out and then nothing will power on. But to be sure, check if the little red switch is on 115 on your PSU. If you have an extra power supply, swap it out and see if it was the psu or not. My next guess is the motherboard went kaput.

"You might want to keep an eye out for this big H... cause thats where heaven is."
ToxicFool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15, 2004, 04:30 PM   #3
Robotzombie
The Coz

Robotzombie is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
Originally posted by ToxicFool
Doesn't sound like a PSU problem to me. All of my PSUs that died.. just freak out and then nothing will power on. But to be sure, check if the little red switch is on 115 on your PSU. If you have an extra power supply, swap it out and see if it was the psu or not. My next guess is the motherboard went kaput.
Yeah, the motherboard seems to be the only other option, but I have to think wishfully here. I don't have a spare PSU sitting around, but I might take the one out of this computer I'm using now later and try. I don't want to have to buy a new motherboard.
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Feb 15, 2004, 04:37 PM   #4
mbeeston
Azure Tenebrae

mbeeston once held a door open for a complete strangermbeeston once held a door open for a complete strangermbeeston once held a door open for a complete strangermbeeston once held a door open for a complete stranger

lol i have an old at psu that does that.. buy a new one..
"Intelligence has nothing to do with politics." - ambassador muwlari
" when somethings weird and it don't look good, who do you think it is? GHOST NAPPA"
mbeeston is offline   Reply With Quote