Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Community and Site Discussions » Off Topic Lounge
Rage3D Subscribe FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Off Topic Lounge Discuss anything you want here folks. A place for computer junkies to boldly post Off Topic... Rant and rave if it is necessary, but just try to keep it clean!

Old Feb 23, 2019, 02:53 PM   #271
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
Exposed
ESB Sports Bookie

Exposed can recite pi backwardsExposed can recite pi backwardsExposed can recite pi backwardsExposed can recite pi backwardsExposed can recite pi backwardsExposed can recite pi backwardsExposed can recite pi backwards

Well i guess it's safe to say he wont be a recurring character anymore
Exposed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23, 2019, 03:13 PM   #272
NWR_Midnight
Radeon Caribbean Islands

NWR_Midnight can recite pi backwardsNWR_Midnight can recite pi backwardsNWR_Midnight can recite pi backwardsNWR_Midnight can recite pi backwardsNWR_Midnight can recite pi backwardsNWR_Midnight can recite pi backwardsNWR_Midnight can recite pi backwards

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exposed View Post
Well i guess it's safe to say he wont be a recurring character anymore
We don't know that as of yet, we still have to see the final outcome.

~I had the right to remain silent, I just didn't have the ability. ~ Ron White
~You can't fix Stupid! ~ Ron White
~There's not a pill you can take; there's not a class you can go to. - ~Stupid is forever. ~ Ron White
~Life is a hard teacher, it gives you the test before it teaches you the lesson.
~It's never to late to have a good childhood! The older you are, the better the toys! ~ My Dad
~Live everyday as though it is your last, it can all end at any moment!
NWR_Midnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23, 2019, 08:36 PM   #273
JZL
Starship Trooper

JZL can recite pi backwardsJZL can recite pi backwardsJZL can recite pi backwardsJZL can recite pi backwardsJZL can recite pi backwardsJZL can recite pi backwardsJZL can recite pi backwards

OK, this week's ep was really good. I'm back onboard.

I wonder if this was planned the whole time, or just going back a couple episodes, or even that.
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Feb 24, 2019, 01:35 AM   #274
NWR_Midnight
Radeon Caribbean Islands

NWR_Midnight can recite pi backwardsNWR_Midnight can recite pi backwardsNWR_Midnight can recite pi backwardsNWR_Midnight can recite pi backwardsNWR_Midnight can recite pi backwardsNWR_Midnight can recite pi backwardsNWR_Midnight can recite pi backwards

Quote:
Originally Posted by JZL View Post
OK, this week's ep was really good. I'm back onboard.

I wonder if this was planned the whole time, or just going back a couple episodes, or even that.
Yea, this weeks was a completely unexpected huge twist..

~There's not a pill you can take; there's not a class you can go to. - ~Stupid is forever. ~ Ron White
~Life is a hard teacher, it gives you the test before it teaches you the lesson.
~It's never to late to have a good childhood! The older you are, the better the toys! ~ My Dad
Old Feb 24, 2019, 07:59 AM   #275
12Bass
Quantum Bleep

12Bass can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty12Bass can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Very reminiscent of Cloud City, including the background music... definitely felt the foreshadowing (plus some obvious references).
Old Feb 24, 2019, 10:35 AM   #276
JZL
Starship Trooper

JZL can recite pi backwardsJZL can recite pi backwardsJZL can recite pi backwardsJZL can recite pi backwardsJZL can recite pi backwardsJZL can recite pi backwardsJZL can recite pi backwards

As good as it was-- and there was even some humor sprinkled into the first act-- we're forced to swallow yet another huge plot hole . . .

They use the boy's love of Isaac as motivation to get the boy to run off to the planet where he stumbles onto the cave of skulls. The writers had to find a way to get someone down there to make the awful discovery, and that was clever EXCEPT . . .
How the fack is a young boy able to just walk off a starship onto a planet that hasn't decided to be friendly yet, during a mission already recognized as super-risky, through a hatch that is not guarded or even attended by either side? And what happened to the security officer knowing where everyone is all the time?
Old Feb 24, 2019, 01:15 PM   #277
NWR_Midnight
Radeon Caribbean Islands

Quote:
Originally Posted by JZL View Post
As good as it was-- and there was even some humor sprinkled into the first act-- we're forced to swallow yet another huge plot hole . . .

They use the boy's love of Isaac as motivation to get the boy to run off to the planet where he stumbles onto the cave of skulls. The writers had to find a way to get someone down there to make the awful discovery, and that was clever EXCEPT . . .
How the fack is a young boy able to just walk off a starship onto a planet that hasn't decided to be friendly yet, during a mission already recognized as super-risky, through a hatch that is not guarded or even attended by either side? And what happened to the security officer knowing where everyone is all the time?
Huge plot hole? I don't think so:

Isaac's race wasn't deciding to be friendly or unfriendly in Orville's eyes, as the reason Isaac was on the Orville was to learn about them to decide if they wanted to join the "federation of planets" (sorry, don't remember the actual name) not to decide if they where going to be friendly/unfriendly or eradicate them. IF that was the case, Issac would not have the access to the bridge, all it's security codes, or even be their science officer, etc. So, there was no indication of any threat issues to warrant any guards from the Orville, as they believed they where among friends thru Issac, and their interaction with him (The gesture of not destroying them and letting them land also gave the impression they where among allies). Issac's race believes they are superior, due to this, they most likely didn't believe they have anything to worry about, as well as putting up the illusion of being their friends. A guard would instantly put up a huge red flag, and thru Issac's reports, they most likely knew this. The reason the mission was risky, is Issac's race doesn't like visitors, specially un-announced. Hence why they where told they where lucky as they where almost destroyed until they recognized that it was the Orville thru their scan and from the transmissions from Issac.

The impact a hurt child can have on events is the lesson to be learned here, as their actions in such a state can be unpredictable, even for a "superior race" and can never be under estimated. This is a lesson that Issac had never learned, until now. They can't plan for something they have never had any experience in, specially since they are a race with no emotions. So they had no reason to place guards at the man holes/ entrances to the graves as thru Issac's mission/reporting, they most likely assumed that the Orville wouldn't be secretly sneaking around their planet, and not prepared for a hurt child to sneak off into the underground graves. Not to mention they most likely already planned on taking them hostage/killing them, so they had no reason to be concerned about them finding the graves, or anything else as they don't plan on letting them leave/live. They most likely already knew about the scans the Orville was doing and that they knew about the mass production of the orbs. But the Orville knowing didn't have any impact on their plan. In fact, it almost seems that they planned to take the Orville from the start and use it as a Trojan horse per say, to get to earth without any real detection of what is really taking place.

As for the security officer knowing where every person is at all times, I think you took that comment from the last episode a little to seriously. I mean come on, you seriously believe that the security officer is going to know where all 300+ passengers are every second of every minute of the day? specially the kids?

In the second part, I suspect that Issac is going to save the day somehow.

Last edited by NWR_Midnight : Feb 24, 2019 at 01:50 PM.
Old Feb 25, 2019, 10:20 PM   #278
Napoleonic
Radeon Arctic Islands

Napoleonic once held a door open for a complete strangerNapoleonic once held a door open for a complete strangerNapoleonic once held a door open for a complete stranger

The plot hole is why do such advanced being just left proof of their genocide on their own backyard? I wish they go full into war with Isaac, that would be something new in the genre, if Isaac save the day and become good science officer again it would ruin the story.
Old Feb 25, 2019, 10:47 PM   #279
Shapeshifter
Radeon Arctic Islands

Shapeshifter doesn't need no stinkin' badgesShapeshifter doesn't need no stinkin' badgesShapeshifter doesn't need no stinkin' badgesShapeshifter doesn't need no stinkin' badgesShapeshifter doesn't need no stinkin' badgesShapeshifter doesn't need no stinkin' badgesShapeshifter doesn't need no stinkin' badgesShapeshifter doesn't need no stinkin' badgesShapeshifter doesn't need no stinkin' badges

Quote:
Originally Posted by NWR_Midnight View Post
As for the security officer knowing where every person is at all times, I think you took that comment from the last episode a little to seriously. I mean come on, you seriously believe that the security officer is going to know where all 300+ passengers are every second of every minute of the day? specially the kids?

In the second part, I suspect that Issac is going to save the day somehow. [/spoiler]
Same way security does on federation ships I imagine.

https://getyarn.io/yarn-clip/44c704c...7-c1a55b360090

Rage3d is the BEST forum!! There are alot of smart people on here!! -phexus
Shapeshifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 26, 2019, 05:55 AM   #280
NWR_Midnight
Radeon Caribbean Islands

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shapeshifter View Post
Same way security does on federation ships I imagine.

https://getyarn.io/yarn-clip/44c704c...7-c1a55b360090
The federation does it by tracking the intercom badges. How many times have they asked the computer to locate a member of the crew, only to find their badge at the location given. Also, their location is not given until asked, meaning they don't keep tabs on every person every second of the day.

It is possible that they also track using bio signatures, but again, their location is not given until asked. Almost all star trek series has had children sneak off just like one did in The Orville.

Old Mar 1, 2019, 02:53 PM   #281
Cyko
Your New Lord

Cyko has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationCyko has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationCyko has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationCyko has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationCyko has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationCyko has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationCyko has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationCyko has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationCyko has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationCyko has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationCyko has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Napoleonic View Post
The plot hole is why do such advanced being just left proof of their genocide on their own backyard? I wish they go full into war with Isaac, that would be something new in the genre, if Isaac save the day and become good science officer again it would ruin the story.

Isaac became the good science officer again and saved the day. So effing lame.

Alpha
| Mobo: MSI P6N-SLI | CPU: Intel C2D E6600 @ 3.2ghz | Memory: 4GB (4x1GB) G.Skill DDR2-800 | Video Card: EVGA NVIDIA 8800GTX | Hard Drive(s): 2xMaxtor 200GB | Sound: Onboard 7.1 HD | DVD Writer: LITE-ON LDW-451S | Case: Coolermaster Centurion 5 | PSU: OCZ GameXstream 700w | Mouse: Logitech MX1000 | Keyboard: Logitech Cordless Desktop | Mousepad: fUnc Surface 1030 | Headphones: Sennheiser HD 280 | Monitor: LG L1751S-SN 17" LCD | Scanner: Canon LiDe 35 | OS: Vista Home Premium |

Omega

| Mobo: Asus A8V S939 VIA K8T800 Pro | CPU: Athlon 64 X2 3800+ "Manchester" | Memory: 2GB (2x1GB) OCZ PC3200 Platinum | Video Card: BBA AIW X800 XT | Hard Drive(s): Maxtor 100GB + Maxtor 200GB + WD 120GB | Sound: SB Audigy 2 ZS | DVD Writer: LITE-ON LDW-451S | DVD Reader: Memorex Generic | Case: Antec Lifestyle Sonata II | PSU: Antec 450w SmartPower 2.0 | Mouse: Logitech MX1000 | Keyboard: Logitech Cordless Desktop | Mousepad: fUnc Surface 1030 | Headphones: Sennheiser HD 280 | Monitor: LG L1751S-SN 17" LCD | Scanner: Canon LiDe 35 | OS: Windows XP Media Center Edition |

Cyko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 1, 2019, 03:29 PM   #282
acroig
Troll SMod

acroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand suns

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyko View Post

Isaac became the good science officer again and saved the day. So effing lame.
How else could it have gone?
acroig is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 1, 2019, 07:36 PM   #283
12Bass
Quantum Bleep

12Bass can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty12Bass can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

IMO, the resolution in episode #9 was too quick and the wooden acting failed to convey the seriousness of the threat of mass genocide.
Old Mar 2, 2019, 09:03 AM   #284
acroig
Troll SMod

acroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand suns

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12Bass View Post
IMO, the resolution in episode #9 was too quick and the wooden acting failed to convey the seriousness of the threat of mass genocide.
The opening music.... harkens back to ST:TMP going into V'ger. Seth knows his Trek.

Agreed with your point, I gave it a pass.
Old Mar 4, 2019, 12:01 AM   #285
Napoleonic
Radeon Arctic Islands

Napoleonic once held a door open for a complete strangerNapoleonic once held a door open for a complete strangerNapoleonic once held a door open for a complete stranger

Yep disappointing story resolution, still a better story telling than the cluster****s std though.
Old Mar 4, 2019, 11:35 PM   #286
andino
Radeon Arctic Islands

andino can recite pi backwardsandino can recite pi backwardsandino can recite pi backwardsandino can recite pi backwardsandino can recite pi backwardsandino can recite pi backwardsandino can recite pi backwards

This is pop sci-fi.

It's still better than anything else that is out right now.

IMO, this is MUCH better than any of the Kelvin timeline crap that Star Trek is stuck in. I'm curious how the new Picard Star Trek is going to be but if the Discovery is any indicator, I think that I will be disappointed.
andino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 6, 2019, 11:13 AM   #287
A2597
A Peculiar Person

A2597 knows why the caged bird singsA2597 knows why the caged bird singsA2597 knows why the caged bird singsA2597 knows why the caged bird singsA2597 knows why the caged bird singsA2597 knows why the caged bird sings

It's a classic star trek resolution. Dunno what you were expecting from it.
That said, was surprised they did a couple things, spacing the crewmen, explosions where people were sucked into space.

The Orville is still kinda stuck between being a parody and being serious...hope it finds it's footing, because it is enjoyable when it works.

But you are a chosen generation, a royal priesthood, an holy nation, a peculiar people; that you should show forth the praises of him who hath called you out of darkness into his marvellous light.
1 Peter 2:9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vengeance View Post
:heart: I took a few weeks off, but Rage is like a home away from home.
A2597 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 7, 2019, 02:49 AM   #288
12Bass
Quantum Bleep

Quote:
Originally Posted by A2597 View Post
It's a classic star trek resolution. Dunno what you were expecting from it.
That said, was surprised they did a couple things, spacing the crewmen, explosions where people were sucked into space.

The Orville is still kinda stuck between being a parody and being serious...hope it finds it's footing, because it is enjoyable when it works.
Part of it is due to what you mentioned, which is that the show exists between farce and drama, which made the idea of galactic genocide by the Kaylons hard to take seriously, and the acting wasn't up to the task either, IMO. No one on the show has the gravitas of someone like Patrick Stewart. It also seemed like there should have been more of a build up to the epic space battle, perhaps another episode in between. The story may have worked for Star Trek, where there were real existential threats, but seemed out of character for The Orville. Perhaps I'll see things different as the show progresses....
Old May 11, 2019, 07:08 PM   #289
wazman
Resident Curmudgeon

wazman once held a door open for a complete strangerwazman once held a door open for a complete strangerwazman once held a door open for a complete strangerwazman once held a door open for a complete stranger

Word is it's been renewed for a third season:

(source: https://variety.com/2019/tv/news/the...ox-1203188078/ )

Quote:
‘The Orville’ Renewed for Season 3 at Fox

By DANIELLE TURCHIANO Danielle Turchiano
Danielle Turchiano
Senior Features Editor, TV

Seth MacFarlane’s sci-fi series “The Orville” has been renewed for a third season at Fox.

Set 400 years in the future, the series follows The U.S.S. Orville, a mid-level exploratory spaceship stocked with a crew of both humans and aliens who have to balance complications in space, as well as everyday personal and relationship problems.

In the second season, the intrepid explorers met new species and civilizations, and learned secrets about old friends. It averaged 3.16 million total live viewers and a 0.75 in the 18-49 demographic.

The series stars MacFarlane, Adrianne Palicki, Penny Johnson Jerald, Scott Grimes, Peter Macon, J Lee, Mark Jackson, Chad L. Coleman and Jessica Szohr. It was created and written by MacFarlane, who also executive produces alongside Brannon Braga, David A. Goodman, Jason Clark and Jon Cassar.

“The Orville” is produced by 20th Century Fox Television.

“The Orville” now joins “Empire,” medical drama “The Resident,” first responder drama “9-1-1,” family comedy “Last Man Standing,” and animated comedies “Bob’s Burgers,” “Family Guy” and “The Simpsons” on Fox’s 2019-20 television schedule.

RIP, Hannibal. RIP, Shadow. RIP, Mitchell. RIP, Annie. RIP, Jones.
wazman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12, 2019, 09:10 AM   #290
andino
Radeon Arctic Islands

andino can recite pi backwardsandino can recite pi backwardsandino can recite pi backwardsandino can recite pi backwardsandino can recite pi backwardsandino can recite pi backwardsandino can recite pi backwards

Good. Fox finally doesn't screw over a scifi show.
Old Sep 29, 2019, 10:13 PM   #291
Eisberg
Radeon Arctic Islands

Eisberg considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestEisberg considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestEisberg considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestEisberg considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestEisberg considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestEisberg considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestEisberg considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestEisberg considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestEisberg considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestEisberg considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestEisberg considers Jack Bauer an amateur at best

Third season not coming to FOX, going to he a HULU original

https://mobile.twitter.com/SethMacFa...07749311995904
The home is the first and most effective place to learn the lessons of life: truth, honor, virtue, self control, the value of education, honest work, and the purpose and privilege of life. Nothing can take the place of home in rearing and teaching children, and no other success can compensate for failure in the home.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Albert Einstein
Imagination is more important than knowledge. For knowledge is limited to all we now know and understand, while imagination embraces the entire world, and all there ever will be to know and understand.
Eisberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 30, 2019, 07:41 AM   #292
Nascar24
EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 Ultra

Nascar24 is not someone to be trifled withNascar24 is not someone to be trifled withNascar24 is not someone to be trifled withNascar24 is not someone to be trifled withNascar24 is not someone to be trifled withNascar24 is not someone to be trifled withNascar24 is not someone to be trifled withNascar24 is not someone to be trifled with

Typical Fox move with sci-fi!
Nascar24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 30, 2019, 08:40 AM   #293
acroig
Troll SMod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nascar24 View Post
Typical Fox move with sci-fi!
I was of the impression Seth did not want to be on Fox anymore and pulled the show.

https://variety.com/2018/biz/news/se...ed-1202849337/

https://www.indiewire.com/2018/06/fo...se-1201975792/
Old Sep 30, 2019, 09:53 AM   #294
Nascar24
EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 Ultra

Nascar24 is not someone to be trifled withNascar24 is not someone to be trifled withNascar24 is not someone to be trifled withNascar24 is not someone to be trifled withNascar24 is not someone to be trifled withNascar24 is not someone to be trifled withNascar24 is not someone to be trifled withNascar24 is not someone to be trifled with

Ugh, Seth needs to keep politics out of his entertainment.
Nascar24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 30, 2019, 11:22 AM   #295
acroig
Troll SMod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nascar24 View Post
Ugh, Seth needs to keep politics out of his entertainment.
His show, his choice.
Old Jun 3, 2022, 09:02 AM   #296
Napoleonic
Radeon Arctic Islands

3rd season has started, I like the 1st episode more than strange new worlds... Hope the rest is gonna be good.
Old Jun 3, 2022, 01:45 PM   #297
acroig
Troll SMod

Thread title updated.
Old Jun 7, 2022, 12:43 AM   #298
KAC
Whatever

KAC glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsKAC glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsKAC glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsKAC glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsKAC glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsKAC glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsKAC glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsKAC glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsKAC glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsKAC glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsKAC glows with the radiance of a thousand suns

I tried watching the first episode of season 3. I wasn’t even smiling. So bad.
KAC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 2, 2022, 05:08 AM   #299
Napoleonic
Radeon Arctic Islands

Finally! An episode that equalled if not surpassed some of the best of star trek episodes (the old ones not the new ones lol)...
Old Jul 2, 2022, 05:40 PM   #300
andino
Radeon Arctic Islands

This is good scifi.