Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Archived Discussions » Radeon Technical Support
Rage3D Subscribe FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Radeon Technical Support Radeon technical support forum for all Radeon products from the classic Radeon to the latest cutting edge family of graphics cards.

Old Dec 29, 2002, 08:24 PM   #1
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
Colb
Radeon R100

Colb is still being judged by the masses

Default 9700 causes comp to freeze

Computer specs:

300W Enermax
2100+ AMD
SOYO Dragon+
512MB 2100

I just received my 9700pro back from newegg(I rma my 1st one) and playes games amazingly. But now after about 10 min of play the computer will freeze. I have tried different games, same problem. I have tried differend drivers, same problem. I know it is something with the card because my Kyro2 4500 ran the same games without any errors for the 2 weeks I have been using it.

Could this be a power issue? I have 3 hard drives(2 are set up in RAID 0), 2 fans, 1 cd rom.

What do yall think?
Old Dec 29, 2002, 11:43 PM   #2
jysnmat
Radeon R300

jysnmat is still being judged by the masses

No it's a mobo issue Check the rage 3d technical support section for Radeon 9700 to see if this Mobo of your has compatibility issues with the R9700. I had the same problems on my Intel 850GB mobo and tried all sort of tweak and bouth all sort af hardware to try to get everything stable, like a new PSU. But nothing worked. Then I bouth a Asus P4T Mobo and everything is perfect. The only way to get my old Mobo stable with the R9700Pro was to underclock the R9700Pro to 275core/and 285mem. if your going to spend any money at all to try and get everything stable spend it on a new Motherboard.

Note: Have not updated My Sig with new Asus Mobo, which was the best choice I made.
Memory: 8GB
Power supply: Toughpower 1200w PSU
Sound: Creative Sounblaster X-Fi Fatal1ty
Graphic Cards: 2 Sapphire ATI Radeon HD 3870x2 in Crossfire mode
Hard Drives: 2 WD Raptor 10000rpm drives(WD1500ADFD) in raid 0
CD/DVD drives: Toshiba 16x DVD drive and Sony Dvd Burner Drive
Old Dec 30, 2002, 01:27 AM   #3
[email protected]

Ted@Home is still being judged by the masses

I would test it with a different powersupply. Atleast you will know if its about power or not.
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Dec 30, 2002, 06:00 PM   #4
Colb
Radeon R100

Thanks.
Old Dec 31, 2002, 01:03 PM   #5
DemondimSpawn

DemondimSpawn is still being judged by the masses

Hi Colb.

I have almost the same setup you have. It did take a bit of work by my 9700Pro is working perfectly now. Here's some things you could check into towards resolving your problems; (note - this is for a Windows XP setup. Ignore driver cache instructions if you're using 98 or 98SE)

1) Flash bios to KVX4.2aa3 (NOT the overclocked bios)
2) Update your VIA 4in1 drivers to the Hyperion set on the VIA site.
3) Re-wire power supply from Radeon so it was on its own string directly to power supply. Your card should not be strung with your Hard Drives. Hint - buy lots of Y-cables.
4) Reboot to safemode (tap F8 after boot)
5) Uninstall ALL your ATI drivers. Get rid of them all.. control panel, display driver, multimedia centre (all of em to be safe)
6) Get RID of any ATI driver remnants by doing a file search for all ati*.* Delete all files with ATI attached. (Mainly in system 32 folder) Note - If you get some that can't be deleted, they are probably in your driver cache area. See next step.
7) Delete Driver Cache directory entirely (stoopid annoying feature imho)
8) Clean your resgistry!!!! Type Rededit in your run menu. Delete all keys related to ATI. NOTE - there are quite a few. Check HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE, control sets 1, 2, 3. Also HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE, software. Also HKEY_CURRENT_USER. Each of these will have ATI keys in them. Delete all ATI keys. If you need help with this, there are some very good strings on this board to tell you exactly what keys you need to delete.
9) Reboot. If windows asks you to install "New Hardware Found". Press cancel. Do this manually through your downloaded drivers.
10) Re-install ATI Radeon 9700 Pro with Catalyst 2.5 Drivers or 3.0 Drivers, both display driver and control panel.
11) Reboot.

Bios Setup Notes - AGP set at 1.7V, DBI for AGP Enabled, Fast Writes Disabled, Video Cache Disabled, AGP Aperature 64M, AGP Mode set to normal.

Control Panel Setup Notes - Wait for Vertical Sync turned off in both D3D section and Open Gl section.

This should solve your problems. Most of the issues people are having here are related to driver issues I think. ATI builds a really nice piece of hardware but their drivers are VERY VERY picky. I can't stress enough how important it is to ensure that all previous driver versions are GONE. One of the other things I encountered was the fact that my sound card was causing some of my lockup problems. Hope this helps you bud. Your board should be fully compatible with your video card so that shouldn't be your problem. Another thing to check would be IRQ conflicts.

I've managed to get 15000 plus scores on 3dMark2001 with this setup so its running sweeeeet.

My Setup:
CPU - Ath. 2100+
MB - Soyo Dragon KT400 Platiunium Ultra
RAM - 512mg Kingston DDR PC2700
Vid - ATI Radeon 9700 Pro
Sound - Audigy 2 Platinium
OS - Windows XP Pro
Power - 485 Wat
Fans - 5 chassis fans, 1 PCI Slot Fan
Old Jan 1, 2003, 02:45 PM   #6
Colb
Radeon R100

Well, I changed all the stuff you said to(I was scared to upgrade the BIOS from a previous failed attempt). But UT2003 still hard locks, just not as soon as it did before. And now, even when I am not playing games and just looking at different web sites, it will lock up. I am thinking about trying to uninstall DX9.0.......maybe that is the problem.
Old Jan 1, 2003, 03:00 PM   #7
copterdrvr
Radeon R200

copterdrvr is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
Originally posted by Colb
Well, I changed all the stuff you said to(I was scared to upgrade the BIOS from a previous failed attempt). But UT2003 still hard locks, just not as soon as it did before. And now, even when I am not playing games and just looking at different web sites, it will lock up. I am thinking about trying to uninstall DX9.0.......maybe that is the problem.
Its not a DX 9 problem, as I have the exact same problems with DX8.1. I am on my second 9700 card and I have done all of the above mentioned methods and more to insure no old drivers are in conflict, and I still get freezes and reboots. My machine is an Asus A7V8X with an XP 2800.

I emailed Asus about my problem and they told me that the problem was due to the fact that ATI did not configure the 9700 to the accepted standard for the agp8x slot. They also said that they had modified the A7V8X to accomodate the 9700. I am in the process of trying to get my m/b rma'd for the newer version.

Copterdrvr
Old Jan 1, 2003, 04:43 PM   #8
Colb
Radeon R100

Quote:
Originally posted by copterdrvr
Its not a DX 9 problem, as I have the exact same problems with DX8.1. I am on my second 9700 card and I have done all of the above mentioned methods and more to insure no old drivers are in conflict, and I still get freezes and reboots. My machine is an Asus A7V8X with an XP 2800.

I emailed Asus about my problem and they told me that the problem was due to the fact that ATI did not configure the 9700 to the accepted standard for the agp8x slot. They also said that they had modified the A7V8X to accomodate the 9700. I am in the process of trying to get my m/b rma'd for the newer version.

Copterdrvr
Thanks. Could not help but notice we live in the same city.
Old Jan 5, 2003, 09:14 PM   #9
Colb
Radeon R100

OK, well I unhooked everything from my power suppy except my mobo, HD, and vid card. And it still locks up....so I guess the PS is out of the question.....This is really starting to piss me off.
What is the point in having super frame rates with realistic picture quality in-game for about 5 min........freeze....reboot.......start game again, in 5 min....freeze.....reboot.
Old Jan 5, 2003, 10:06 PM   #10
GraphicW

GraphicW is still being judged by the masses

Just a quick note, if you have the KT400 chipset on your board, it seems there is a problem with it and the Radeon 9700 Pro. There are complaints all over the place about this and this particular chipset. If you have this chipset on your board, it may be the fault.
Old Jan 5, 2003, 10:10 PM   #11
Colb
Radeon R100

Well, I have the KT266A. Thanks everybody for the responses so far.
Old Jan 6, 2003, 05:37 AM   #12
copterdrvr
Radeon R200

Quote:
Well, I have the KT266A. Thanks everybody for the responses so far.
I got mine to work finally by upping the agp voltage to 1.8 volts. I had tried all that other stuff myself, and it did nothing. I tried all of the voltage options for the agp bus, and my machine did not become stable until I set it to 1.8v. Now, no problems at all.

I didn't think that there were any problems with the KT266 chipset. I first installed my 9700 in an Asus A7V133A and it worked perfectly until I installed it in an Asus A7V8X KT400.

Copterdrvr
Old Jan 6, 2003, 05:45 AM   #13
wash
Radeon R100

wash is still being judged by the masses

uninstall the AGP VIA Driver and install the 4.38 AGP driver.Set the AGP aperture to 4X than the computer will be stable
Old Jan 6, 2003, 06:27 AM   #14
copterdrvr
Radeon R200

Quote:
Originally posted by wash
uninstall the AGP VIA Driver and install the 4.38 AGP driver.Set the AGP aperture to 4X than the computer will be stable
The 4.38 agp driver is a good idea. Come to think of it, I had that version of the agp driver installed when I installed the 9700 in my kt133 board.

Copterdrvr
Old Jan 6, 2003, 05:30 PM   #15
DemondimSpawn

DemondimSpawn is still being judged by the masses

Well... I'm not so sure about the AGP driver. I have the most recent AGP Drivers with the KT400 Soyo Dragon Platinium Ultra along with DirectX 9 and the Catalyst 3.0 and it runs absolutely rock solid. Be careful about listening to people with ASUS or Gigabyte boards. Those mobos have compatibility issues, especially the A7V8X.

I am absolutely certain that the KT400 version of the Soyo board has no compatibility issues with the Radeon. There's more than a few of us with that mobo and the 1.3 version of the Radeon 9700 who have absolutely no problems.

I'd try to update that bios again. MB you need to clear your cmos? What type of error did you get when you tried to update your bios? "Unknown flash type" ?
Old Jan 7, 2003, 07:53 AM   #16
copterdrvr
Radeon R200

Quote:
Originally posted by DemondimSpawn
Well... I'm not so sure about the AGP driver. I have the most recent AGP Drivers with the KT400 Soyo Dragon Platinium Ultra along with DirectX 9 and the Catalyst 3.0 and it runs absolutely rock solid.

I am absolutely certain that the KT400 version of the Soyo board has no compatibility issues with the Radeon.
I understand your point DSpawn, and you were smart buying a Soyo m/b, but I think you're missing where he's coming from. The point is that he has a board with a 4X agp bus. The newest VIA agp driver is optimized to take advantage of the newest chipsets(KT400, 8X agp busses), and I remember reading on some of the VIA forum sites that people with older chipsets, i.e. agp4 boards, had found success by installing older via drivers like the 38's.

Try sites like Via Arena, Via Technologies, and Via Hardware for more info.

The Via .45's are optimized for your m/b with its chipset and bus speed, not his.

Copterdrvr
Old Jan 7, 2003, 01:50 PM   #17
Colb
Radeon R100

OK, I found some answers in the via forum, but I have a few questions.

HOw can I find the revision number?
Do I need to unstall agp drivers before I install the 4.38? If so, how do I do it?
Old Jan 7, 2003, 05:24 PM   #18
copterdrvr
Radeon R200

Quote:
OK, I found some answers in the via forum, but I have a few questions.

HOw can I find the revision number?
Do I need to unstall agp drivers before I install the 4.38? If so, how do I do it?
The first question is, did you install the agp driver yourself, in the first place. Where did you get them. If you did, you just run the same via setup and the one of the options will be to uninstall any of the drivers installed during the setup. Just uninstall the agp driver.

To be honest with you, I've just installed over Via drivers before, and I've never had any problems with doing it that way.

I forgot to mention that I was using the .38 drivers on my old KT133A and the 9700 worked perfectly in that board.

Copterdrvr
Old Jan 7, 2003, 06:53 PM   #19
Colb
Radeon R100

OK, I installed the 4.38 agp drivers, and I still have the lock up problems....but it seems that the lock ups don't occur as soon.
Now, how do I adjust the voltage settings? I have no option for it in my BIOS. Is there a program I need to get?
Old Jan 7, 2003, 10:25 PM   #20
shaker

shaker is still being judged by the masses

Well, Colb, I was ready to throw the whole comp out the window. After fixing a 3D Mark problem (crashing to desktop at Nature test) by flashing the BIOS on my ABIT KT-7A mobo (KT 133A chipset) I went along merrily playing 007 Nightfire, witout a hitch, to the very end. When I loaded Hitman 2, I first noticed the crashes 5-10 min into the game. Then I went back and tried Jedi Knight Outcast, and it crashed even quicker. I could play MOHAA for the better part of an hour before it crashed. Ran the old Unreal starting screen (where it flies around tha castle) and it would crash after 2-3 passes around. Unreal became my "crash detector" from that point on. Tried everything, yanking sound, network, modem, drivers, BIOS settings (except AGP 4X, curiously enough) and was set to do what DemondimSpawn said, (but I really didn't want to poke around in the Registry) until I started reading about VIA chipset AGP timing and ATI cards. Rather than purging ALL ATI drivers and Registry entries and re-installing, I just turned off AGP 4X mode in my BIOS, rebooted, and ran ATI's "smartgart" from the Start/Run menu in Win 98. Pushed all of the "retest" buttons, and rebooted when prompted. Went back into Control Panel/Display, and made sure that Smartgart was showing "AGP 2X". NO games crashing at that point. 3D Marks went from 9400 to 9240. I'll give that up anyday for no crashes.

I suppose that to get 150 3D marks back that I could have fooled around with the "AGP Driving Value" (From 00 to FF) but I most likely would have hosed something big time.

I'll worry about AGP 4X and above when I get a new mobo. For now, I'm a happy camper.

Make sure to run Smartgart from the Start/Run menu, it's a little different than the one shown under Display Properties.

cheers,

shaker

Last edited by shaker : Jan 8, 2003 at 07:10 AM.
Old Jan 8, 2003, 12:27 PM   #21
Colb
Radeon R100

I ran smatrgart and everything was on, so I redid the tests and the lock ups still occur. There is no option in my bios for agp voltage so I am thinking about underclocking my card. Would this be wise?
Old Jan 8, 2003, 12:52 PM   #22
copterdrvr
Radeon R200

Quote:
I ran smatrgart and everything was on, so I redid the tests and the lock ups still occur. There is no option in my bios for agp voltage so I am thinking about underclocking my card. Would this be wise?
You said that smartgart says "everything is on"- what exactly is on?

I have to admit that your problem is kinda unique, as the vast majority of the problems have been with kt400 chipsets. As I said before, when my 9700 was in my kt133a board, it ran perfectly with the 38 agp driver from Via, using W98SE.

Are you sure you aren't having driver conflicts with past attempts to get your machine working? I have been using the DRIVER INSTALLATION GUIDE FOR nOOBS by Genius dated 12-22-02 on the Rage3d forum. Give it a try, it is very easy to use and its excellent.

Copterdrvr