Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Gaming and Computing Forums » Operating Systems
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Operating Systems Discussion topics on operating systems including all iterations of Windows, Linux, MacOS, BeOS, etc.

Old Sep 24, 2021, 03:48 PM   #61
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
Falck
Radeon R520

Falck is still being judged by the masses

so 194 is final?
Falck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 24, 2021, 10:40 PM   #62
Nascar24
EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 Ultra

Nascar24 is not someone to be trifled withNascar24 is not someone to be trifled withNascar24 is not someone to be trifled withNascar24 is not someone to be trifled withNascar24 is not someone to be trifled withNascar24 is not someone to be trifled withNascar24 is not someone to be trifled with

So I checked if I can leave the dev channel and no dice, only way to leave now is by a full reinstall. Bleh, I thought you could easily move about this chit, I guess not. I guess I stay here until I have some major problem. Updated to the current release after just installing a few days ago and had an install failure on first attempt, second attempt worked so all was good, last build wasnt all that smooth for me. had terrible mouse lag until everything loaded and some taskbar crashes. Lets see how this one goes.
Nascar24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 25, 2021, 11:23 AM   #63
lmchv
Planet Express

lmchv can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultylmchv can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falck View Post
so 194 is final?
They usually release the RTM version for Technical Preview channel before general availability, so yes, this should be the version being released on Oct 5th, unless some major bug happens.
BEHEMOTH (Desktop): Asus ROG Maximus XI Formula | Intel Core i9 9900K @ 5.0Ghz + Asus ROG Ryuo 240 | Corsair Ballistic 32GB DDR4-3000 | Dell 2715Q 27" 4K | XFX Radeon VII 16GB | CoolerMaster Cosmos C700P + Asus ROG Thor 1200W Platinum | Sound Blaster X AE-5 + Edifier R1280DBs + Edifier T5 + Logitech G935 | HyperX Alloy Elite RGB CherryMX Red + Logitech G502 Lightspeed + Logitech Powerplay | Samsung 950 Pro NVMe SSD 512GB + 2 x Samsung 850 Pro SSD 512GB RAID0 + 2 x Western Digital Black 1TB RAID0 | LG BD-RE | Windows 11 Pro

Charquito (Desktop): Asus Sabertooth X99 | Intel Core i7 5930K @4.7Ghz + Corsair Hydro H110 | Kingston HyperX 32GB DDR4-2400 | Dell U2713HM 27" | Asus ROG Strix Geforce GTX1080| Cooler Master Cosmos 2 + Thermaltake Toughpower 1200W | Microsoft Reclusa + Logitech MX Performance | Kingston HyperX 240GB SSD + Seagate 500GB | Sony BD-ROM | Windows 10 Pro 64bits

Bloodzone.net Moderator
lmchv is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Sep 25, 2021, 01:45 PM   #64
Munkus
Hugged your dog lately?

Munkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of Reputation

There are still quite a few bugs to be ironed out. Even blatant ones like some of the Windows Update Advanced Options crashing when you select them. But Windows is never truly finished. It's "good enough" for the general public now, and bug fixes will be a regular thing just like with Win 10.
Munkus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 25, 2021, 07:18 PM   #65
Nascar24
EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 Ultra

Nascar24 is not someone to be trifled withNascar24 is not someone to be trifled withNascar24 is not someone to be trifled withNascar24 is not someone to be trifled withNascar24 is not someone to be trifled withNascar24 is not someone to be trifled withNascar24 is not someone to be trifled with

Yep, latest build in the Dev channel is no different, everything has to load before the mouse lag stops, maybe I will try hibernate to get around it.

Edit: So having everything already loaded works for this but I have never been that fond of hibernate, we will see, in my years using it, it either turns itself on by itself or fails to properly load at times. we will see, I have a chit load of stuff loading at startup but it never seemed to bother windows 10. Its always the same with a new OS though, takes months to get it all right. Works fine once everything is up.

Last edited by Nascar24 : Sep 25, 2021 at 07:36 PM.
Old Sep 28, 2021, 03:17 PM   #66
barleystout
Radeon R700

barleystout once held a door open for a complete strangerbarleystout once held a door open for a complete strangerbarleystout once held a door open for a complete strangerbarleystout once held a door open for a complete stranger

Does anyone know if the following is implemented in Win 11?

https://devblogs.microsoft.com/direc...rearrangement/
barleystout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 28, 2021, 05:22 PM   #67
lmchv
Planet Express

lmchv can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultylmchv can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

And Windows Hello broke today, it just does not work with my Logitech Brio. It was working fine after upgrade some days ago, but now refuses to work again.
BEHEMOTH (Desktop): Asus ROG Maximus XI Formula | Intel Core i9 9900K @ 5.0Ghz + Asus ROG Ryuo 240 | Corsair Ballistic 32GB DDR4-3000 | Dell 2715Q 27" 4K | XFX Radeon VII 16GB | CoolerMaster Cosmos C700P + Asus ROG Thor 1200W Platinum | Sound Blaster X AE-5 + Edifier R1280DBs + Edifier T5 + Logitech G935 | HyperX Alloy Elite RGB CherryMX Red + Logitech G502 Lightspeed + Logitech Powerplay | Samsung 950 Pro NVMe SSD 512GB + 2 x Samsung 850 Pro SSD 512GB RAID0 + 2 x Western Digital Black 1TB RAID0 | LG BD-RE | Windows 11 Pro

Charquito (Desktop): Asus Sabertooth X99 | Intel Core i7 5930K @4.7Ghz + Corsair Hydro H110 | Kingston HyperX 32GB DDR4-2400 | Dell U2713HM 27" | Asus ROG Strix Geforce GTX1080| Cooler Master Cosmos 2 + Thermaltake Toughpower 1200W | Microsoft Reclusa + Logitech MX Performance | Kingston HyperX 240GB SSD + Seagate 500GB | Sony BD-ROM | Windows 10 Pro 64bits

Bloodzone.net Moderator
Old Sep 28, 2021, 07:36 PM   #68
Nascar24
EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 Ultra

The Dev build on my system I cant pull the calendar or notifies up when I want, Its funny because a half hour later it will all of a sudden start working and pop up and stay working for a while and then fail again like now.
Old Sep 30, 2021, 07:20 AM   #69
Nascar24
EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 Ultra

Anybody ever been in the Dev channel? Is it normal they just put out new builds every 3 to 5 days and dont use normal updates? I was expecting maybe a build every few months and they would just use updates, this reloading windows every few days to get those updates is ridiculous. Probably will have to do a reload when 11 comes out if that's the case, Should have waited I guess.
Old Sep 30, 2021, 10:45 AM   #70
pax
Rage3D Spammer

pax once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'pax once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'pax once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'pax once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'pax once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'pax once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

Anyone try this tool to bypass the hw check requirements?

https://gist.github.com/AveYo/c74dc7...b5d65613187b15

Quote:
Universal MediaCreationTool wrapper for all MCT Windows 10 versions from 1507 to 21H1 with business (Enterprise) edition support

A powerful yet simple windows 1X deployment automation tool as well!

awesome gui dialogs to pick windows version and preset action
Auto Setup choice for upgrade directly without prompts, with edition change / intelligent fallback
Create ISO choice for authoring iso file directly via DIR2ISO snippet, including any 'oem' customizations
Create USB choice for authoring usb via native MCT, including any 'oem' customizations (prompts once)
Select in MCT choice for vanilla MCT processing without 'oem' modifications, script quits straightway
control via set script vars, commandline parameters or rename script like iso 21H2 Pro MediaCreationTool.bat
set recommended windows setup options that give the least amount of issues when doing upgrades
pickup $OEM$ folder with post setup tweaks like $OEM$\$$\Setup\Scripts\ setupcomplete.cmd or OOBE.cmd
write sources\PID.txt file to preselect edition at media boot or windows setup
write auto.cmd file to run auto setup without prompts from media, on demand
11: Skip TPM Check on media boot via winpeshl.ini file (cleaner than altering system hive directly)
11: Skip TPM Check on dynamic update - system-wide (works for insider previews), also as standalone toggle script

Piledriver Rig 2016: Gigabyte G1 gaming 990fx. FX 8350 cpu. XFX RX 480 GTR Cats 21.6.1, SoundBlaster ZXR, 2 x 8 gig ddr3 1866 Kingston. 1 x 2tb Firecuda seagate with 8 gig mlc SSHD. Sharp 60" 4k 60 hz tv. Win 10 home.

Ryzen Rig 2017: Gigabyte X370 K7 F50d bios. Ryzen 1700x. 2 x 8 ddr4 3600 (@3200) Gskill. Sapphire Vega 64 Reference Cooler Cats 21.6.1. Soundblaster X Ae5, 32" Dell S3220DGF 1440p Freesync Premium Pro monitor, Kingston A2000 1TB NVME. 4 TB HGST NAS HD. Win 10 pro.

Ignore List: Keystone... -My Baron he wishes to inform you that vendetta, as he puts it in the ancient tongue, the art of kanlee is still alive... He does not wish to meet or speak with you...-
"Either half my colleagues are enormously stupid, or else the science of darwinism is fully compatible with conventional religious beliefs and equally compatible with atheism." -Stephen Jay Gould, Rock of Ages.
"The Intelligibility of the Universe itself needs explanation. It is not the gaps of understanding of the world that points to God but rather the very comprehensibility of scientific and other forms of understanding that requires an explanation." -Richard Swinburne

www.realitysandwich.com

www.makepovertyhistory.org
pax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 30, 2021, 11:16 AM   #71
Munkus
Hugged your dog lately?

Munkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of Reputation

Honestly, Win 11 isn't worth jumping through hoops to get and install. If your hardware is supported, by all means upgrade. If not...stick with Win 10. You're not missing much.
Old Oct 1, 2021, 05:26 PM   #72
lmchv
Planet Express

I have 6 computers at home, only 3 support Windows 11. On the other 3 I will deploy Windows 11 after it's officially out, have an old Surface Pro 3 for testing

My main desktop runs Windows 11 smoothly, the Hello issue is solved, somehow...

Bloodzone.net Moderator
Old Oct 2, 2021, 11:56 AM   #73
acroig
Troll SMod

acroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand suns

Just installed on the Lenovo laptop. No issues so far.

yoz
acroig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 2, 2021, 04:31 PM   #74
LordHawkwind
Harbinger of Doom

LordHawkwind can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyLordHawkwind can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyLordHawkwind can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

ATI Technologies

Installed a few weeks ago and all is well. No BSOD's or anything like that. Seems very stable. Games play fine so not complaining.
Ryzen 7 3800X, ASUS Prime X470 Pro, KFA2 RTX 3090 SG, 16GB Crucial DDR4 LPX 3000 Ram, iiyama G-Master GB3466WQSU 3440x1440 freesync 144hz, 250gb Samsung SSD, 750mb Seagate SSHD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda H/D, 1 TB Samsung H/D, 850w PSU, Windows 10
LordHawkwind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 2, 2021, 07:45 PM   #75
koralis
Radeon 5850

koralis knows why the caged bird singskoralis knows why the caged bird singskoralis knows why the caged bird singskoralis knows why the caged bird singskoralis knows why the caged bird sings

https://www.pcgamer.com/windows-11-p...g-performance/

Beware VBS.. Virtualization. Can hurt game framer ate by 28%

Kcrucible - Playing with Fire
koralis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 2, 2021, 07:47 PM   #76
acroig
Troll SMod

acroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand suns

Quote:
Originally Posted by koralis View Post
https://www.pcgamer.com/windows-11-p...g-performance/

Beware VBS.. Virtualization. Can hurt game framer ate by 28%
You saw this, right?

"And if you're upgrading from Windows 10 to Windows 11 then you don't have to worry about VBS being enabled, unless you were already running an enterprise version of the older OS, that is. The issue comes if you're receiving a machine which has had an OEM build of Windows 11 installed on it."

yoz
Old Oct 3, 2021, 11:28 AM   #77
Munkus
Hugged your dog lately?

Quote:
Originally Posted by acroig View Post
You saw this, right?

"And if you're upgrading from Windows 10 to Windows 11 then you don't have to worry about VBS being enabled, unless you were already running an enterprise version of the older OS, that is. The issue comes if you're receiving a machine which has had an OEM build of Windows 11 installed on it."
I upgraded from 10 to 11 via the ISO, and in my case VBS is enabled. I'm using Pro, not Enterprise or whatever if that matters. I don't recall whether it was turned on in Win 10. It's a bizitch to turn off VBS though.
Old Oct 3, 2021, 02:33 PM   #78
acroig
Troll SMod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Munkus View Post
I upgraded from 10 to 11 via the ISO, and in my case VBS is enabled. I'm using Pro, not Enterprise or whatever if that matters. I don't recall whether it was turned on in Win 10. It's a bizitch to turn off VBS though.

yoz
Old Oct 4, 2021, 08:44 AM   #79
Lazy8s
One day at a time

Lazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dial

I’m still holding off for a while. I don’t expect issues due to acroig’s success with it (same exact laptops) but I don’t want to be an early adopter this time around.
Lazy8s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 4, 2021, 10:39 AM   #80
Munkus
Hugged your dog lately?

I figured out how to permanently disable VBS, but honestly I'm not seeing any difference in fps in games.
Old Oct 4, 2021, 02:43 PM   #81
Notbilly
dystopian

Notbilly can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyNotbilly can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Munkus, what did you do to turn off VBS? I'm still on Win10 but noticed that, per MSInfo, VBS is already running on my PC (maybe b/c I use the hypervisor for WSL2?). Was it just a registry edit to do it?
Notbilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 5, 2021, 07:58 AM   #82
eNforcer
Radeon Southern Islands

eNforcer once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'eNforcer once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'eNforcer once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'eNforcer once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'eNforcer once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'eNforcer once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

Installed it yesterday via the official Installation Assistant, also created a bootable USB installer with the official Media Creation Tool just in case.

It's fine, I like most of it so far. There's a lot of evidence being posted that the UI is largely just a skin, screenshots and gifs of the old Win 10 UI glitching through the new Win 11 UI. I'm hoping this isn't hurting performance, it doesn't "feel" like it is though.

I actually kind of miss being able to group pinned apps in the start menu, but the Win 10 start menu was a huge waste of usable space.

The clipboard history tool is very useful, check it out. Enable it in the settings and hit Win + V.
eNforcer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 5, 2021, 08:10 AM   #83
Nascar24
EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 Ultra

Not at home to check in Windows 11 but in Windows 10 you can turn off VBS by searching Device security and there are options to turn it on and off in there.
Old Oct 5, 2021, 08:14 AM   #84
Nascar24
EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 Ultra

As much as I dont want to, I'm probably going to drop out of the Insider preview Dev crap and install the release version of Windows 11. Don't like how the Dev preview channel works with constant new builds that require reinstalls every time you want to go to the next. And there is no way to drop out of it without a reinstall! Bleh!
Old Oct 5, 2021, 08:23 AM   #85
Nunz
RIP Roxen

Nunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand suns

Enabled TPM and just installed Win11. I really like the new taskbar, this thing is sweet for a 38" ultrawide! Not a huge fan of this start menu, though .. I'm sure it'll grow on me
"If you can't handle me when I'm bulking, you don't deserve me when I'm cut." -- Marilyn Monbroe
Nunz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 5, 2021, 08:41 AM   #86
Munkus
Hugged your dog lately?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Notbilly View Post
Munkus, what did you do to turn off VBS? I'm still on Win10 but noticed that, per MSInfo, VBS is already running on my PC (maybe b/c I use the hypervisor for WSL2?). Was it just a registry edit to do it?
There was more to it than that, but TBH I tried so many things and eventually found the winning combination. I think it was a combination of registry changes and uninstalling Windows Defender Application Guard. Regardless, I didn't see a huge jump in fps in games, so I'm not sure about the claim that VBS causes a 28% performance hit. I'm probably going to reinstall App Guard and undo the registry changes just so I have max protection.
Old Oct 5, 2021, 08:43 AM   #87
acroig
Troll SMod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nunz View Post
Not a huge fan of this start menu, though .. I'm sure it'll grow on me
Same here.

yoz
Old Oct 5, 2021, 08:46 AM   #88
Munkus
Hugged your dog lately?

I don't like the new Start menu or where it's positioned. Luckily it's easy to move it back to the left side. Also, Stardock just released Start11 to bring back the old Start menu I love, so that's an option if Microsoft's new design doesn't flick your Bic. (arcane reference there...who gets it?)
Old Oct 5, 2021, 09:00 AM   #89
Nunz
RIP Roxen

Nunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand suns

I was going to just do the upgrade from Win10 but I'm gonna reformat. Just need to backup some pics and get the ISO on my flash drive.
"If you can't handle me when I'm bulking, you don't deserve me when I'm cut." -- Marilyn Monbroe
Nunz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 5, 2021, 10:05 AM   #90
Mangler
PC

Mangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single bound

Is auto-hdr available in the current version of win11?
Mangler is offline   Reply With Quote