Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Gaming and Computing Forums » General Hardware
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

General Hardware Talk about PCs/Macs, motherboards, CPUs, sound cards, RAM, hard drives, networking and everything else about computer hardware!

Old Mar 6, 2021, 07:56 AM   #1
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
acroig
Troll SMod

acroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand suns

Default Recommend me a CPU/Mobo combo

To update my gaming only rig. Looking for bang for the buck here, no $300 mobos.

Intel 11th gen looks to be a flop so any good combos for 10th gen? I have access to MicroCenter, what would Rage advice?

Had looked at this combo last mobth:

http://209.147.121.98/board/showpost...9&postcount=60

yoz
acroig is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 6, 2021, 08:25 AM   #2
Nagorak
Incarnation of the Nether

Nagorak can recite pi backwardsNagorak can recite pi backwardsNagorak can recite pi backwardsNagorak can recite pi backwardsNagorak can recite pi backwardsNagorak can recite pi backwardsNagorak can recite pi backwards

Honestly, since you already have an 8086K, if I were you I'd just wait another year before upgrading. You're not going to see much difference in most games. If you wait you can get onboard with a DDR5 platform.

If you're going to upgrade I definitely wouldn't get an 8 core processor as that will be a negligible improvement--not even worth the hassle of even upgrading, IMO.

I'd look at a 10900F, or a 10850K. The giving up the K for an F results in a pretty cost savings, and although the F can't be overclocked my understanding is you can still run it with MCE. Since there's so little left in these CPUs anyway you're not giving up much by forgoing the K.

I'd probably also look at saving money by going with a solid Z490 board instead of a Z590. A lot of Z490 boards support PCI-E 4.0 for the GPU, but it doesn't matter anyway since 10000 series CPUs don't support it. And either way there's no real upgrade path, so I don't see much to be gained by going with Z590.

Last edited by Nagorak : Mar 6, 2021 at 08:33 AM.
Nagorak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 6, 2021, 08:35 AM   #3
Munkus
Hugged your dog lately?

Munkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of Reputation

What Nagorak said. I think the F series scores slightly lower than the K in some benchmarks, but that wouldn't be noticeable for the most part. They also only use 95W instead of the K's 125Ws, if that's important to you.

Are your games CPU-bound? I'm in a similar boat (i7-7700K here) but gaming at 1440p with my 2080ti would only have visible benefits in a small number of games. Most everything I play is as smooth as KAC's butt.

My money isn't burning a hole in my pocket right now, so I'm waiting another year or so.
Munkus is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Mar 6, 2021, 10:29 AM   #4
acroig
Troll SMod

acroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand suns

Thanks guys, always appreciate the input.

yoz
Old Mar 6, 2021, 11:03 AM   #5
the_sextein
Radeon Southern Islands

the_sextein knows why the caged bird singsthe_sextein knows why the caged bird singsthe_sextein knows why the caged bird singsthe_sextein knows why the caged bird singsthe_sextein knows why the caged bird singsthe_sextein knows why the caged bird sings

I agree, I'd wait another year and see where things are at that point.
the_sextein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 6, 2021, 11:18 AM   #6
KAC
It might be gays!

KAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dial

You made fun of me for such a long while and also followed most of my reviews with clear benches. I am not sure why you would think anything has changed since November to warrant a purchase. If you are gaming, it is completely pointless to upgrade your CPU/Mobo. You can get some benefit by throwing in expensive 4000 DDR4 memory or grabbing a 3090. Another option would be to go 32 GB ram. Everything else is like 2-5 FPS deltas so if $300 is worth that much performance then sure go ahead and purchase.
KAC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 7, 2021, 08:17 PM   #7
Megaman
Packing heat!

Megaman can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMegaman can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMegaman can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMegaman can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMegaman can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMegaman can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMegaman can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMegaman can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMegaman can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMegaman can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMegaman can leap small-ish buildings in a single bound

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nagorak View Post
Honestly, since you already have an 8086K, if I were you I'd just wait another year before upgrading.
Dis!

Wait for new processes, PCIE 4 and DDR 5 combo.
Megaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 7, 2021, 09:19 PM   #8
Hapatingjaky
Maximum Disappointment

Hapatingjaky can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundHapatingjaky can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundHapatingjaky can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundHapatingjaky can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundHapatingjaky can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundHapatingjaky can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundHapatingjaky can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundHapatingjaky can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundHapatingjaky can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundHapatingjaky can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundHapatingjaky can leap small-ish buildings in a single bound

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megaman View Post
Dis!

Wait for new processes, PCIE 4 and DDR 5 combo.
^
Thisssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss
Intel Core i9 10900K @ 5.2GHz, Asus Maximus XII Apex, GSkill Trident-Z Royal DDR4 3200MHz 32GB CAS11, EVGA FTW3 3080Ti Sixtuple SLI KAC Edition, Creative Labs SXFI Theater, Samsung 970 Evo Plus 1TB, Corsair AXI 1500i PSU, ThermalTake View 71, Corsair K95 Platinum RGB, Corsair Dark Core RGB SE, Acer Predator X34, Windows 10 Professional X64
Hapatingjaky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 7, 2021, 09:58 PM   #9
andino
Radeon Arctic Islands

andino can recite pi backwardsandino can recite pi backwardsandino can recite pi backwardsandino can recite pi backwardsandino can recite pi backwardsandino can recite pi backwardsandino can recite pi backwards

You know, if the rumors are true the next AMD release looks nice. PCIe 5.0 and DDR5..

Plus they have been on par if not a bit ahead of Intel. The next gen they just might overtake them solidly in all categories.
andino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 8, 2021, 08:17 AM   #10
acroig
Troll SMod

I hear you guys.....

I have a feeling I'm gonna pull a KAC with a cheap 10700K and an MSI Tomahawk z490 in the next couple of months.......

yoz

Last edited by acroig : Mar 8, 2021 at 08:23 AM.
Old Mar 6, 2021, 01:50 PM   #11
Hapatingjaky
Maximum Disappointment

Hapatingjaky can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundHapatingjaky can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundHapatingjaky can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundHapatingjaky can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundHapatingjaky can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundHapatingjaky can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundHapatingjaky can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundHapatingjaky can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundHapatingjaky can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundHapatingjaky can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundHapatingjaky can leap small-ish buildings in a single bound

Intel Core i9 10900K @ 5.2GHz, Asus Maximus XII Apex, GSkill Trident-Z Royal DDR4 3200MHz 32GB CAS11, EVGA FTW3 3080Ti Sixtuple SLI KAC Edition, Creative Labs SXFI Theater, Samsung 970 Evo Plus 1TB, Corsair AXI 1500i PSU, ThermalTake View 71, Corsair K95 Platinum RGB, Corsair Dark Core RGB SE, Acer Predator X34, Windows 10 Professional X64
Hapatingjaky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 6, 2021, 02:05 PM   #12
acroig
Troll SMod

Oh, ok... I'll take 2 then.

yoz
Old Mar 7, 2021, 12:47 AM   #13
andino
Radeon Arctic Islands

andino can recite pi backwardsandino can recite pi backwardsandino can recite pi backwardsandino can recite pi backwardsandino can recite pi backwardsandino can recite pi backwardsandino can recite pi backwards

So, I'm in the same boat as the other guys. At this point, I'd wait.

The next generation stuff looks WAY cooler anyway.
andino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 7, 2021, 07:50 AM   #14
Nunz
RIP Roxen

Nunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand suns

Unless you get a good deal on a 10900K (wouldn't touch the 10850K or 10900F - these are defective cores that didn't make the cut for the 10900K) I would just wait.

Alder Lake will be the platform worth moving to, but it will be expensive.

I'm considering waiting for the X299 replacement and getting off the mainstream platforms all together unless they start giving us more PCI-E lanes.
"If you can't handle me when I'm bulking, you don't deserve me when I'm cut." -- Marilyn Monbroe
Nunz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 7, 2021, 08:16 AM   #15
acroig
Troll SMod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nunz View Post
Unless you get a good deal on a 10900K (wouldn't touch the 10850K or 10900F - these are defective cores that didn't make the cut for the 10900K) I would just wait.

Alder Lake will be the platform worth moving to, but it will be expensive.

I'm considering waiting for the X299 replacement and getting off the mainstream platforms all together unless they start giving us more PCI-E lanes.
So 10 core is the way to go, forget 8. I could get it for $370 from Best Buy after they price match MC and I have some BB cash. Good enough price to be tempting?

What about mobo? Z490? What's a decent one that would let me do all core 5.3?

EDIT: Looking to get resizable BAR support. That can make a difference in some current and future games. Also, CPU scaling on something like Cyberpunk will benefit from my 8086K to even an 8 core 10th gen CPU.

yoz

Last edited by acroig : Mar 7, 2021 at 10:15 AM.
Old Mar 28, 2021, 02:59 PM   #16
acroig
Troll SMod

The 8086K system

yoz
Old Mar 28, 2021, 03:00 PM   #17
acroig
Troll SMod

Getting things ready

yoz
Old Mar 28, 2021, 03:01 PM   #18
acroig
Troll SMod

Ready for CPU cooler install

yoz
Old Mar 28, 2021, 03:02 PM   #19
acroig
Troll SMod

Finalizing

yoz
Old Mar 28, 2021, 03:03 PM   #20
acroig
Troll SMod

End product

yoz
Old Mar 28, 2021, 04:15 PM   #21
Meteor_of_War
USA-holes

Meteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppers

Congrats on the new build acroig. Those EVGA 3080's come with an anti-sag bracket? I would definitely use it.

About using only one of the CPU power connectors, you might be OK with just one for normal usage but at some point you may run into problems. The motherboard manual should recommend connecting both.

We recently had some RMAs come back at my job for that very reason. Customers selected a cheaper power supply that didn't have enough CPU/PCI-E connectors and production department shipped it out with only one connected. Customers complained about BSOD and system randomly shutting down during heavy load. When we got the systems back we tested with a PSU with both connectors and it worked fine under stress testing.

We have since updated our website to prevent any configurations to go out without both being connected.

Sent from my SM-G928T using Tapatalk
Meteor_of_War is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 28, 2021, 04:29 PM   #22
acroig
Troll SMod

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob saget View Post
I used to have that CM case. That thing is built SO solid. I just wish it had filters on the fans. I had to make my own ghetto ones.
Case is awesome old school. Love the big fan on the GPU

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirBaron View Post
very nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meteor_of_War View Post
Congrats on the new build acroig. Those EVGA 3080's come with an anti-sag bracket? I would definitely use it.

About using only one of the CPU power connectors, you might be OK with just one for normal usage but at some point you may run into problems. The motherboard manual should recommend connecting both.
The mobo has the reinforced PCIe slot, card did come with a bracket but good only for a specific mobo, I think.

If you look at the link I posted above I found out the the second 4 CPU power cable splits into two and I added in after the pics were taken.

yoz
Old Mar 28, 2021, 05:47 PM   #23
Meteor_of_War
USA-holes

Meteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppers

Quote:
Originally Posted by acroig View Post
If you look at the link I posted above I found out the the second 4 CPU power cable splits into two and I added in after the pics were taken.
Ahh, you should be good then.

Also I did not realize yours has 1x 8-pin ATX 12V power connector and 1x 4-pin. The motherboards we were having issues with at my job had 2x 8-pin.
Meteor_of_War is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 28, 2021, 05:55 PM   #24
acroig
Troll SMod

Except for the power cable issue all went pretty well.

yoz
Old Mar 28, 2021, 09:16 PM   #25
Nagorak
Incarnation of the Nether

Nagorak can recite pi backwardsNagorak can recite pi backwardsNagorak can recite pi backwardsNagorak can recite pi backwardsNagorak can recite pi backwardsNagorak can recite pi backwardsNagorak can recite pi backwards

Glad to hear you've got it up and running! Hopefully the system serves you well for a few years!
Nagorak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 28, 2021, 09:18 PM   #26
Exposed
ESB Sports Bookie

Exposed can recite pi backwardsExposed can recite pi backwardsExposed can recite pi backwardsExposed can recite pi backwardsExposed can recite pi backwardsExposed can recite pi backwardsExposed can recite pi backwards

Don't forget to claim your free Intel software bundle before April. Don't need a receipt or a even a key, choose the option to scan your CPU to see what it currently qualifies for.

https://softwareoffer.intel.com/
Exposed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 28, 2021, 04:32 PM   #27
Nascar24
EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 Ultra

Nascar24 can recite pi backwardsNascar24 can recite pi backwardsNascar24 can recite pi backwardsNascar24 can recite pi backwardsNascar24 can recite pi backwardsNascar24 can recite pi backwardsNascar24 can recite pi backwards

Looks like it’s time to buy a $50 power cable from Corsair!
Nascar24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 28, 2021, 04:38 PM   #28
acroig
Troll SMod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nascar24 View Post
Looks like it’s time to buy a $50 power cable from Corsair!
Ah, no?

https://help.corsair.com/hc/en-us/ar...4-pin-CPU-port

I have it, it's installed.

yoz
Old Mar 28, 2021, 04:55 PM   #29
Nascar24
EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 Ultra

Nascar24 can recite pi backwardsNascar24 can recite pi backwardsNascar24 can recite pi backwardsNascar24 can recite pi backwardsNascar24 can recite pi backwardsNascar24 can recite pi backwardsNascar24 can recite pi backwards

Quote:
Originally Posted by acroig View Post
Ah, last we talked you didnt.👍
Nascar24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 28, 2021, 05:04 PM   #30
acroig
Troll SMod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nascar24 View Post
Ah, last we talked you didnt.👍
I know, I used this thing called Google and my answer was given to me. Amazing!!

yoz