Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Community and Site Discussions » Off Topic Lounge » Motoring
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Motoring Anything that goes vroooom! and makes the hairs on the back of your neck stand up, this is the place.

View Poll Results: Which car would you pick?
2016 Audi R8 V10 Plus 13 68.42%
2016 Porsche 911 Turbo S 6 31.58%
Voters: 19. You may not vote on this poll

Old Dec 27, 2015, 03:08 PM   #31
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
MasterGoa
Life is not a task.

MasterGoa once jumped the English ChannelMasterGoa once jumped the English ChannelMasterGoa once jumped the English ChannelMasterGoa once jumped the English ChannelMasterGoa once jumped the English ChannelMasterGoa once jumped the English ChannelMasterGoa once jumped the English ChannelMasterGoa once jumped the English ChannelMasterGoa once jumped the English ChannelMasterGoa once jumped the English ChannelMasterGoa once jumped the English Channel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahjik View Post

Any thoughts of adding in the MB into your possible choices?
As a week-end racer, the first thing you will need to do is totally
forget what they recommend for tire pressure and invest in a front
camber kit and get a proper alignment.

Other than that, MB are very reliable and you can find lots of excellent
prices on parts and maintenance on sites like MBparts.com.

From a drivability standpoint, solid cars that are silky smooth all around.
I drive a manual and let me tell you the shifter feel if unlike anything
I have ever driven before and after. Adaptive sports suspension is great also
for a daily driver.

Very stiff chassis. Everything is over built. (Tie rods larger than an F-150).

Also, it loves 94 gas...
MasterGoa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 27, 2015, 06:53 PM   #32
Mahjik
Motoring Goodness

Mahjik doesn't need no stinkin' badgesMahjik doesn't need no stinkin' badgesMahjik doesn't need no stinkin' badgesMahjik doesn't need no stinkin' badgesMahjik doesn't need no stinkin' badgesMahjik doesn't need no stinkin' badgesMahjik doesn't need no stinkin' badgesMahjik doesn't need no stinkin' badgesMahjik doesn't need no stinkin' badges

That is all likely true with the sedans. I highly doubt that is going to be the case with the AMG GT.
Mahjik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 27, 2015, 07:16 PM   #33
MasterGoa
Life is not a task.

MasterGoa once jumped the English ChannelMasterGoa once jumped the English ChannelMasterGoa once jumped the English ChannelMasterGoa once jumped the English ChannelMasterGoa once jumped the English ChannelMasterGoa once jumped the English ChannelMasterGoa once jumped the English ChannelMasterGoa once jumped the English ChannelMasterGoa once jumped the English ChannelMasterGoa once jumped the English ChannelMasterGoa once jumped the English Channel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahjik View Post
That is all likely true with the sedans. I highly doubt that is going to be the case with the AMG GT.
I used to think this untill I test drove my C300, a 328 and an A4 in succession.

As for the alignment and stuff, it is actually policy at Merc to make the front
end softer and understeer so people do not through themselves in ditches...

Switch's AMG has the exact same alignment specifications which
calls for 0.3 degree negative camber on a strut layout.

I added the Merc camber bolts with a fixed -0.3 degree and it was a huge improvement.

I also did the shoe white on the sidewall trick and discovered
my ideal tire pressure is 34PSI front and 38PSI back with my summer tires.

Far away from the 28-32 in the door sticker.

So I would definitely try is out, but if you feel the front end
lacks immediacy and precision, there is a quick fix.
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Dec 27, 2015, 08:16 PM   #34
OverclockN'
Radeon Arctic Islands

OverclockN' is not someone to be trifled withOverclockN' is not someone to be trifled withOverclockN' is not someone to be trifled withOverclockN' is not someone to be trifled withOverclockN' is not someone to be trifled withOverclockN' is not someone to be trifled withOverclockN' is not someone to be trifled with

Subscriber

Quote:
I added the Merc camber bolts with a fixed -0.3 degree and it was a huge improvement.
You noticed a huge improvement from -.3 camber? What was it originally?

i9 9900KF/Corsair H100i
Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Master
EVGA 3080 XC3 Ultra Gaming
32GB G.Skill DDR3 3200
Corsair HX1000W
Corsair 600T Silver Edition
Corsair Nightsword Mouse/Logitech G15 Keyboard
LG CX 48"

i5 3570k/OEM Cooler
Asus Sabretooth Z77
Asus ROG 1080Ti Strix
16GB G.Skill DDR3 2600
Corsair CX750M
Lian Li Lancool II Mesh
Logtech G703 Mouse/Logitech G915 Keyboard
OverclockN' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 27, 2015, 09:26 PM   #35
Mahjik
Motoring Goodness

Mahjik doesn't need no stinkin' badgesMahjik doesn't need no stinkin' badgesMahjik doesn't need no stinkin' badgesMahjik doesn't need no stinkin' badgesMahjik doesn't need no stinkin' badgesMahjik doesn't need no stinkin' badgesMahjik doesn't need no stinkin' badgesMahjik doesn't need no stinkin' badgesMahjik doesn't need no stinkin' badges

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterGoa View Post
I used to think this untill I test drove my C300, a 328 and an A4 in succession.
If you drive any normal street car, they all understeer.

Quote:
As for the alignment and stuff, it is actually policy at Merc to make the front
end softer and understeer so people do not through themselves in ditches...
Technically, the front end being softer enduces oversteer. However, I get what you are trying to say. Every street car is designed for understeer. Most people don't know the difference until they've driven something that isn't setup for understeer.

Quote:
Switch's AMG has the exact same alignment specifications which
calls for 0.3 degree negative camber on a strut layout.
And it's a sedan...

Quote:
I also did the shoe white on the sidewall trick and discovered
my ideal tire pressure is 34PSI front and 38PSI back with my summer tires.

Far away from the 28-32 in the door sticker.
Tire pressures will vary based on two things:

1. Desired ride quality
2. Tire manufacturer

So tires have stronger sidewalls and can use a lower pressure. Some tires have softer sidewalls and need higher pressures when driven hard. The manufacture is recommend tire pressures for a mix of gas mileage and ride quality.
Old Dec 28, 2015, 12:12 AM   #36
MasterGoa
Life is not a task.

When I mention the front tires and camber, the front actually is not softer from a suspension perspective,
only tires and very little camber which hakes you ride the sidewalls.
I have the Sport Edition BTW, with larger sway bars, lower springs and variable shocks from the factory.

The car went from -0.3 to -0.6 camber. I had -1.0 to -1.3 on all my previous
cars, which were Japanese FWD or various rigidity. (Nissan being rigid and Honda not in the slightest).

I agree that tire pressure varies, this is why I do the tests I do with the sidewall white shoe polish. The tires I have for summer are Vredestein Ultrac Cento
which offer a LIA of 97 XL in my size...

I also mention this because a friend of mine went from an R8 to a 911S to a Merc CLK 63 Black Edition and absolutely hated the handling.
When I tried the car, I totally recognized the loose front end where
you clearly feel the sidewalls give. She sold the car though
Old Dec 28, 2015, 11:05 AM   #37
Mahjik
Motoring Goodness

Quote:
When I mention the front tires and camber, the front actually is not softer from a suspension perspective,
only tires and very little camber which hakes you ride the sidewalls.
I have the Sport Edition BTW, with larger sway bars, lower springs and variable shocks from the factory.
Again, we are talking apples to oranges. Your car is a sedan, the AMG GT is a sports car. The suspension geometry is completely different.

Quote:
I also mention this because a friend of mine went from an R8 to a 911S to a Merc CLK 63 Black Edition and absolutely hated the handling.
Same as above... Your friend went from two sports cars to a sedan. Apples to oranges...
Old Dec 28, 2015, 12:08 PM   #38
MasterGoa
Life is not a task.

Might be, but easily fixed.

IMHO, the hadeling issues are marketing more than anything else.

Absolutely nothing is preventing MB from providing a proper front end geometry.

Another issue about your question is that the AMG GT is a 2016 model
to replace the SLS. It is improbable someone got to drive them back to back
with competitive models.

But this should shed light on your research:

http://www.caranddriver.com/mercedes-amg/gt-gt-s

Also, you question was if you should add MB in your possible choices.
My answer is yes, but keep in mind the front tires will feel soft.
If not, great, but if so, it is by design.
Old Dec 28, 2015, 12:24 PM   #39
Mahjik
Motoring Goodness

Quote:
Absolutely nothing is preventing MB from providing a proper front end geometry.
Yes there is... Their customers.. There is a compromise to "sporty" suspension geometry (ride quality, around-the-town handling, tire wear, suspension wear, etc). That is not the target market for their sedan customers. Audi tried it a years ago with their A6 line had had people replacing bushings and other suspension parts in under 60k miles (and had MANY unhappy customers).

However again, that shares little with the AMG GT which shares only the manufacturers name in resemblance to your car.
Old Dec 28, 2015, 12:32 PM   #40
Mahjik
Motoring Goodness

Old Dec 28, 2015, 12:39 PM   #41
MasterGoa
Life is not a task.

You should note that the 2016 will have a 6.2 with no turbo's.
Old Dec 28, 2015, 11:23 PM   #42
Xplode
Radeon Northern Islands

Xplode is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
You should note that the 2016 will have a 6.2 with no turbo's.
Really? I thought that was only for the GT3 which is a stripped down track focused version. That would be EPIC if we can have that engine back in the normal set up.
Hamixda, a top-secret pc-loving-console-hating fanboy bot that spams websites with 50 posts a day. He took 3 years to develop, but they're still working out alot of bugs, since there still seems to be serious issues with his logic and common sense A.I.
Quote:
Well, it's been a LOOOONNNNNGGGG waiT.... - Chubz
Xplode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 29, 2015, 07:50 AM   #43
Mahjik
Motoring Goodness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xplode View Post
Really? I thought that was only for the GT3 which is a stripped down track focused version. That would be EPIC if we can have that engine back in the normal set up.
Must be the GT3 as the the MB site still list the biturbo:

https://www.mbusa.com/mercedes/futur...16_C190_AMG_GT
Old Dec 29, 2015, 10:04 AM   #44
MasterGoa
Life is not a task.

That was my mistake, I assumed the GT3 was simply another model of the
GT, but it is a totally different car.

On a side note, I found the complete spec sheet of the 2016 AMG GT:
http://www.mbusa.com/vcm/MB/DigitalA..._AMG_%20GT.pdf

Lots of details!
Old Dec 29, 2015, 10:52 AM   #45
MasterGoa
Life is not a task.

Speaking of totally different car:

http://autoweek.com/article/geneva-m...-and-whole-lot

Old Dec 29, 2015, 09:21 PM   #46
Xplode
Radeon Northern Islands

Xplode is still being judged by the masses

Ugh that engine was such a masterpeice. These new engines kill all AMGs for me. Although the GTs is VERY impressive.
Hamixda, a top-secret pc-loving-console-hating fanboy bot that spams websites with 50 posts a day. He took 3 years to develop, but they're still working out alot of bugs, since there still seems to be serious issues with his logic and common sense A.I.
Quote:
Well, it's been a LOOOONNNNNGGGG waiT.... - Chubz
Xplode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 29, 2015, 10:31 PM   #47
OverclockN'
Radeon Arctic Islands

OverclockN' is not someone to be trifled withOverclockN' is not someone to be trifled withOverclockN' is not someone to be trifled withOverclockN' is not someone to be trifled withOverclockN' is not someone to be trifled withOverclockN' is not someone to be trifled withOverclockN' is not someone to be trifled with

Subscriber

Quote:
Speaking of totally different car:

http://autoweek.com/article/geneva-m...-and-whole-lot

I could listen to that all day. Nothing beats a good, thumping idle.

i9 9900KF/Corsair H100i
Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Master
EVGA 3080 XC3 Ultra Gaming
32GB G.Skill DDR3 3200
Corsair HX1000W
Corsair 600T Silver Edition
Corsair Nightsword Mouse/Logitech G15 Keyboard
LG CX 48"

i5 3570k/OEM Cooler
Asus Sabretooth Z77
Asus ROG 1080Ti Strix
16GB G.Skill DDR3 2600
Corsair CX750M
Lian Li Lancool II Mesh
Logtech G703 Mouse/Logitech G915 Keyboard
OverclockN' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12, 2017, 05:40 AM   #48
KAC
It might be gays!

KAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dial

I am thinking that maybe a couple of years down the road I will get an R8. You know because I have a Q7.
KAC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12, 2017, 07:41 AM   #49
Mahjik
Motoring Goodness

Quote:
Originally Posted by KAC View Post
I am thinking that maybe a couple of years down the road I will get an R8. You know because I have a Q7.
We'll believe that when we see a picture of you with it and a BoS with your name on it....
Old Jan 12, 2017, 07:52 AM   #50
Elysian
SCAATSJW

Elysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh

Quote:
For your wife I'm assuming.
Elysian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 13, 2017, 01:56 PM   #51
Sasquach
2/10 will not bang

Sasquach kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshSasquach kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshSasquach kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshSasquach kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshSasquach kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshSasquach kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshSasquach kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshSasquach kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshSasquach kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elysian View Post
For his maid
AMD Ryzen 5 2600X @ 3.6ghz
Asus Prime B450M A/CSM
2 x 8GB G-Skill DDR4 2666
Dell E2210 (22" widescreen) monitor + AMD Radeon R9 290
Seagate Barracuda 500gb 7200.12 SATA
Seagate Barracuda 2TB SATA
Sennheiser PC350 Xense edition headset
Sasquach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 14, 2017, 01:59 AM   #52
KAC
It might be gays!

KAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dial

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elysian View Post
No, this time for me.
Old Jan 16, 2017, 11:03 AM   #53
switchAMG
FCK TRMP

switchAMG has a basement full of buried neg-reppersswitchAMG has a basement full of buried neg-reppersswitchAMG has a basement full of buried neg-reppersswitchAMG has a basement full of buried neg-reppersswitchAMG has a basement full of buried neg-reppersswitchAMG has a basement full of buried neg-reppersswitchAMG has a basement full of buried neg-reppersswitchAMG has a basement full of buried neg-reppersswitchAMG has a basement full of buried neg-reppersswitchAMG has a basement full of buried neg-reppersswitchAMG has a basement full of buried neg-reppers

Quote:
No, this time for me.
$100 says you are driving a used Ford in 2020.
Old Jan 16, 2017, 12:17 PM   #54
Disemboweler
Radeon Evergreen

Disemboweler can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyDisemboweler can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

No glorified beetle for me. Also, N/A V-10 = tits.
Disemboweler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2017, 12:23 PM   #55
Nunz
RIP Roxen

Nunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand suns

Quote:
havent heard this story before

nope

never

not a single time

not a chance
"If you can't handle me when I'm bulking, you don't deserve me when I'm cut." -- Marilyn Monbroe
Nunz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 18, 2017, 02:36 AM   #56
KAC
It might be gays!

Old Feb 22, 2017, 03:55 AM   #57
KAC
It might be gays!

Man, the new R8 is plenty dope. I love it.
Old Feb 22, 2017, 09:03 AM   #58
Sazar
Rage3D Spammer

Sazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dial

My fav at the moment is the Merc AMG GT convertible

R8 looks awesome but there is just something so slinky about those Mercs
Sazar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2017, 11:45 PM   #59
KAC
It might be gays!

AMG GTS non convertible is dope. I drove it but damn too pricey.
Old Feb 23, 2017, 10:27 PM   #60
ice
Rage3D Spammer

ice doesn't need no stinkin' badgesice doesn't need no stinkin' badgesice doesn't need no stinkin' badgesice doesn't need no stinkin' badgesice doesn't need no stinkin' badgesice doesn't need no stinkin' badgesice doesn't need no stinkin' badgesice doesn't need no stinkin' badgesice doesn't need no stinkin' badges

They had the new R8 at the Philly Auto Show, I do like the changes they made to it. Didn't really get any good pictures of it.

6600k|16GB of GSkill|500GB 850 Pro|Gigabyte GTX 1070 G1 |Asus Z170-AR|Windows 10 64 Enterprise

360 games

Lose = Be careful not to lose that.
Loose = The bolts are loose.
There = She is there now.
Their = They have their things.
They're = They're going to the mall.
To = They came to the house.
Too = That's too bad.
Two = 2.
Your = Your dinner is ready.
You're = If you're 150lbs you'd better have a 6 pack.
ice is offline   Reply With Quote