Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Community and Site Discussions » Front Page News
Rage3D Subscribe FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Front Page News News and Rage3D articles as it appears on the frontpage.

Old Sep 12, 2022, 07:10 PM   #1
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
Android1
Super Moderator

Android1 knows why the caged bird singsAndroid1 knows why the caged bird singsAndroid1 knows why the caged bird singsAndroid1 knows why the caged bird singsAndroid1 knows why the caged bird singsAndroid1 knows why the caged bird sings

AMD Robert Hallock Announces His Departure from AMD

It is unknown at this time who will take Hallock’s place as Technical Marketing Director.

AMD's Technical Marketing Director, Robert Hallock has decided to leave the company after 12+ years with the company, to "explore new opportunities and experiences" as he puts in a post on LinkedIn. He apparently left the company last Friday, but only shared the news today. "After just over 12 adventure-packed years at AMD, I'm leaving to explore new opportunities and experiences. Over the years, I've had the honor and privilege of publicly teaching others about some truly stellar innovation: the Zen core family, 3D V-Cache, chiplet packaging, HBM memory, FreeSync, low-overhead graphics APIs, and much more. After working in both graphics and processors for roughly 6 years each, I've learned so much."

He thanked several current and ex colleagues at AMD, as well as thanking the PC hardware reviewer community and the AMD community on Reddit and Discord among others. He ended his post by saying he'll be taking some time off to travel and think about what he'll be doing next, so it doesn't seem like he has any fixed plans for the future.

Source: techPowerUp!
Android1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 12, 2022, 09:39 PM   #2
digitalwanderer
Dangerously Mirthful

digitalwanderer can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultydigitalwanderer can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Best of luck to him, Robert is a great guy! I was fortunate enough to meet him a few times and he's always been kind and gracious.
Old Sep 12, 2022, 09:49 PM   #3
Android1
Super Moderator

Android1 knows why the caged bird singsAndroid1 knows why the caged bird singsAndroid1 knows why the caged bird singsAndroid1 knows why the caged bird singsAndroid1 knows why the caged bird singsAndroid1 knows why the caged bird sings

Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalwanderer View Post
Best of luck to him, Robert is a great guy! I was fortunate enough to meet him a few times and he's always been kind and gracious.
Cool! Where did you meet him?
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Sep 12, 2022, 10:02 PM   #4
digitalwanderer
Dangerously Mirthful

digitalwanderer can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultydigitalwanderer can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Sigraph 2017 was the last time, for the capsaicin thingy and the days leading up to it. The time before that was probably in '15 when I was invited to speak at the Texas campus about their drivers.

Before that would be the battleship event or in Lake Tahoe, or both. I was pretty drunk. He gave me some great tips on how to keep my head clean shaven, I was always impressed by how well he maintained his head.

Seriously sweet guy who could explain complicated things and make 'em seem easy, he'll do well at whatever his next endeavour is.
Old Sep 12, 2022, 10:05 PM   #5
Android1
Super Moderator

Quote:
Sigraph 2017 was the last time, for the capsaicin thingy and the days leading up to it. The time before that was probably in '15 when I was invited to speak at the Texas campus about their drivers.

Before that would be the battleship event or in Lake Tahoe, or both. I was pretty drunk. He gave me some great tips on how to keep my head clean shaven, I was always impressed by how well he maintained his head.

Seriously sweet guy who could explain complicated things and make 'em seem easy, he'll do well at whatever his next endeavour is.
Very cool! Did you used to work for AMD?
Old Sep 12, 2022, 11:01 PM   #6
digitalwanderer
Dangerously Mirthful

No. I was ATi's unofficial mascot and AMD sort of inherited me in the buy out.

I used to moderate/administrate on some now defunct forums. I kept dead dropping e-mails to everywhere with questions and just made some friends and contacts and over the years they all got promoted and such. They invited me to launches and stuff and it was always a blast, only thing that got me out of the house for a couple of decades of raising kids.

I'm trying to think of who I still know who still works there. Terry Makedon has been a friend for a long time, I thought it was fantastic how much time he spent on the forums answering questions and interacting with the gamers. Names escape me right now, forgive me I'm pretty high.
Old Sep 13, 2022, 05:04 PM   #7
Android1
Super Moderator

Quote:
No. I was ATi's unofficial mascot and AMD sort of inherited me in the buy out.

I used to moderate/administrate on some now defunct forums. I kept dead dropping e-mails to everywhere with questions and just made some friends and contacts and over the years they all got promoted and such. They invited me to launches and stuff and it was always a blast, only thing that got me out of the house for a couple of decades of raising kids.

I'm trying to think of who I still know who still works there. Terry Makedon has been a friend for a long time, I thought it was fantastic how much time he spent on the forums answering questions and interacting with the gamers. Names escape me right now, forgive me I'm pretty high.
You’ve made some good tech memories.

I believe that Mr. Makedon used to post here too, if I remember correctly.
Old Sep 13, 2022, 05:53 PM   #8
digitalwanderer
Dangerously Mirthful

Yup. CatalystMaker was a big regular here. It all started back in a monster thread here many decades ago when ATi really pissed off the community, and I can't even remember what it was about. About a year after that they started doing community outreach and changed their entire way of interacting with the graphics community and I think it was a win/win for both their company and us the consumers.

Happy memories indeed. So many friends made on the forums along the way, you meet some of the nicest people that way I've found.
Old Sep 14, 2022, 05:01 PM   #9
Android1
Super Moderator

Quote:
Yup. CatalystMaker was a big regular here. It all started back in a monster thread here many decades ago when ATi really pissed off the community, and I can't even remember what it was about. About a year after that they started doing community outreach and changed their entire way of interacting with the graphics community and I think it was a win/win for both their company and us the consumers.

Happy memories indeed. So many friends made on the forums along the way, you meet some of the nicest people that way I've found.
CatalystMaker! I forgot that name. Thanks for the reminder.

He is still active on Twitter.
Old Sep 14, 2022, 05:52 PM   #10
andino
Radeon Arctic Islands

andino can recite pi backwardsandino can recite pi backwardsandino can recite pi backwardsandino can recite pi backwardsandino can recite pi backwardsandino can recite pi backwardsandino can recite pi backwards

Quote:

Was it when they ditched the All-In-One cards?
andino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 14, 2022, 06:14 PM   #11
digitalwanderer
Dangerously Mirthful

Quote:
Originally Posted by andino View Post
Was it when they ditched the All-In-One cards?
I don't think so, I believe I had a couple of cards with tv tuners on them after the big dust up.

I think it was just about drivers and crappy support. The site I started at Rage Underground we'd spend all our time mixing driver sets to get functional ones for gaming. You used to be able to mix and match the directX and openGL drivers very easily, but it was like ATi never tested them or responded when we'd tell them about the issues. It really annoyed me that with a few hours work I could put together a set of drivers that would run every game well but somehow they couldn't figure it out.

They've changed a LOT since then, and I just fell in love with them for that. They totally changed the way they interacted with the community and I was amazed a company could actually do that and I liked it. It worked out really well for them too so good on them for taking the chance and I enjoy the heck out of their continual success.