Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Community and Site Discussions » Off Topic Lounge
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Off Topic Lounge Discuss anything you want here folks. A place for computer junkies to boldly post Off Topic... Rant and rave if it is necessary, but just try to keep it clean!

Old Nov 6, 2004, 11:43 PM   #1
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
Tyler582
Radeon Caribbean Islands

Tyler582 is still being judged by the masses

Default Geek Squad my A$$

K so my gfs computer had this problem where it would start up but no icons or anything would appear; she was only allowed to use the Task Manager. It was an HP laptop from Best Buy, so she gave it to the so-called "Geek Squad". After a week or so she phoned and they hadnt looked at it... they said they were going to right away, she phoned again and they still hadnt. So they are lazy and liers... Not only that, but they came to the conclusion taht some sort of DMA problem occured and it was above them to fix it. They gave it back to my girlfriend and she did was many noobish computer users would do; she proceeded to back up all her pics and documents with floppy discs. OH MY! She is a strong woman, I could never do taht.

Anyways, I was lazy and another week or 2 went by while she probably wasted over a solid day of life backing stuff up. I said I would check how to fix it, but I never did much cause I had midterms and stuff. But tonight, after hearing how she was, again, wasting a night copying to floppy disks (my goodness... I get frustrated when I have to save 1 thing to a floppy disk and transfer it :S! My poor baby!) I finally said, "Let me phone you back by my computer... we are gonna fix this!"

So after about 15 minutes of looking on Google groups (you can fix anything with Google groups) I had her computer booted up to the desktop WITH ICONS. w00t!

But waht a piss-off. Geeks? WTF. I only fix things when they are broken . It is these people's jobs to fix things, and they couldnt. I do not exaggerate at how long it took me to do this. I have troubleshooted a lot of computer problems, but I would never call myself an expert. I think this is a very sad thing for Best Buy... What about you?

-Tyler

PS again I say WTF.
ASUS UL30-VT A1 13.3" Notebook w/64GB SSD
Tyler582 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6, 2004, 11:45 PM   #2
Potato Masher!
Comfortably Numb

Potato Masher! is still being judged by the masses

Potato Masher! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6, 2004, 11:48 PM   #3
shockwave
canucklehead

shockwave can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyshockwave can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

*right click--> arrange icons by--> show desktop icons*

was that how you fixed it? if so...shame on you for allowing her take it to BB. shame on you indeed
shockwave is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Nov 6, 2004, 11:50 PM   #4
ZhaoYun
Honorable Tiger

ZhaoYun is still being judged by the masses

BB is getting worse and worse as the days go by.
ZhaoYun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6, 2004, 11:50 PM   #5
Soulcatcher
Radeon R520

Soulcatcher is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaurav_fhs
of the laptop?
Soulcatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7, 2004, 12:22 AM   #6
Destroy
Radeon Arctic Islands

Destroy once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Destroy once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Destroy once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Destroy once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Destroy once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Destroy once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soulcatcher
of the laptop?
Pics of her lap, sure.
Old Nov 7, 2004, 12:53 AM   #7
Tyler582
Radeon Caribbean Islands

Tyler582 is still being judged by the masses

Lol, yes I forgot to mention that I was ashamed that I let her waste so much time backing it up with floppy disks...
But no, it wasnt that simple. She could only really run Word and Paint... no internet stuff or other basic programs. It had somethign to do with a windows update and I had to get her to unintall it via the task manager and control panel.

-Tyler
ASUS UL30-VT A1 13.3" Notebook w/64GB SSD
Tyler582 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7, 2004, 12:53 AM   #8
DorXtar
SMILE!

DorXtar can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyDorXtar can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Geek Squad used to be a good service group. Ever since they were bought-out by Best Buy, they're castrated. I've seen the service guys in their Geek Squad cars. They look miserable. Probably under-funded, under-trained, under-supported.
2 Peter 3:3) For YOU know this first, that in the last days there will come ridiculers with their ridicule, proceeding according to their own desires 4) and saying: “Where is this promised presence of his? Why, from the day our forefathers fell asleep [in death], all things are continuing exactly as from creation’s beginning.” 5) For, according to their wish, this fact escapes their notice [...]

8) However, let this one fact not be escaping YOUR notice, beloved ones, that one day is with Jehovah as a thousand years and a thousand years as one day. 9) Jehovah is not slow respecting his promise, as some people consider slowness, but he is patient with YOU because he does not desire any to be destroyed but desires all to attain to repentance.
Like 12Bass says, critical thinking and the scientific method are probably the best tools we have to avoid it. (bias)

However, this method relies on repeatable, falsifiable hypotheses and theories. Only an extremely small spectrum of time and space can be rendered into these, or at least a good approximation of such.

-RFtinkerer

“The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge.” ― Daniel J. Boorstin
DorXtar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7, 2004, 12:56 AM   #9
shockwave
canucklehead

shockwave can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyshockwave can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Quote:
Originally Posted by DorXtar
I've seen the service guys in their Geek Squad cars. They look miserable.
yup...fits the description of a saturn. i thought so.
shockwave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7, 2004, 01:00 AM   #10
rayzian
brokestatus

rayzian is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
Originally Posted by shockwave
Old Nov 7, 2004, 01:18 AM   #11
DorXtar
SMILE!

DorXtar can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyDorXtar can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Quote:
Originally Posted by shockwave
They drive VW beetles.

I look quite smug in my saturn.
2 Peter 3:3) For YOU know this first, that in the last days there will come ridiculers with their ridicule, proceeding according to their own desires 4) and saying: “Where is this promised presence of his? Why, from the day our forefathers fell asleep [in death], all things are continuing exactly as from creation’s beginning.” 5) For, according to their wish, this fact escapes their notice [...]

8) However, let this one fact not be escaping YOUR notice, beloved ones, that one day is with Jehovah as a thousand years and a thousand years as one day. 9) Jehovah is not slow respecting his promise, as some people consider slowness, but he is patient with YOU because he does not desire any to be destroyed but desires all to attain to repentance.
Like 12Bass says, critical thinking and the scientific method are probably the best tools we have to avoid it. (bias)

However, this method relies on repeatable, falsifiable hypotheses and theories. Only an extremely small spectrum of time and space can be rendered into these, or at least a good approximation of such.

-RFtinkerer

“The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge.” ― Daniel J. Boorstin
DorXtar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7, 2004, 01:47 AM   #12
Vengeance
May 2, 1965 - April 21, 2008

Vengeance is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
Originally Posted by DorXtar
They drive VW beetles.

I look quite smug in my saturn.
I hope you don't say that with a straight face!
2GB Crucial Ballistix DDR2 @ 800mhz 4-4-4-12 1T
Seagate Barracuda 320GB SATA2
PC Power & Cooling Turbo-Cool 1KW
COOLER MASTER Stacker Black Aluminum ATX Full Tower
Westinghouse 22in wide screen LCD @ 1680x1050

Report a bug with the NVIDIA graphics driver.
Vengeance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7, 2004, 01:59 AM   #13
Red Dragon Tong
Pii = 2

Red Dragon Tong is still being judged by the masses

whats funny is geek squad charges something like 230 dollars. I had a friend prank call them.
Red Dragon Tong is offline   Reply With Quote