Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Graphics Technology Forums » Other Graphics Cards and 3D Technologies
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Other Graphics Cards and 3D Technologies Discussion forum for any graphics hardware not provided by AMD/ATI. Also place to discuss 3D technologies such as 3D Stereo, PhysX and other interesting developments/rumours in the 3D industry.

Old Feb 21, 2021, 08:45 PM   #1741
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
Nunz
RIP Roxen

Nunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand suns

Quote:
Originally Posted by curio View Post
Hey I prefer you here - but I'm going to enforce the rules and ultimately, it's your choice to stay or not.
Lol.. uh..

You were actually sharing some great information and threw some great points out, as well as Leprechaun, some that have changed my opinion a bit. This site is a dying relic, and a healthy discussion was being had, and you were a part of it. I thought the last page or so was very healthy and educational until you just flushed it down the toilet with the moderator threats.

But hey, this forum could do with a few less people.

Thanks for the info you shared on the last page, it was good stuff. I never thought about the electricity the government uses to print money and what the banks consume; it was a great counterpoint to the energy use that miners are consuming. Also really interesting reading about how the halving stuff is cyclical and intentional. I had no idea.
"If you can't handle me when I'm bulking, you don't deserve me when I'm cut." -- Marilyn Monbroe
Nunz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2021, 08:47 PM   #1742
curio
𐐒ananaD

curio nears the end of the distinguished roadcurio nears the end of the distinguished roadcurio nears the end of the distinguished roadcurio nears the end of the distinguished roadcurio nears the end of the distinguished roadcurio nears the end of the distinguished roadcurio nears the end of the distinguished roadcurio nears the end of the distinguished roadcurio nears the end of the distinguished roadcurio nears the end of the distinguished roadcurio nears the end of the distinguished road

Again, I'd prefer you here - but I can't stop you from leaving

And I wasn't talking about you being off topic in the first place with any of what you just said. That's all very much on topic, even your concerns about it. Just stick to this and you'll be fine:

This thread is for posting about your mining hardware, hardware questions, money made/lost, software questions and any other mining related questions/ideas.

If someone is talking about how it's a 'ponzi scheme' based on no evidence to back that much less personal experience, you're just trolling IMO. This is for people actually participating in crypto - whether they lost or won.

Last edited by curio : Feb 21, 2021 at 09:14 PM.
curio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2021, 08:51 PM   #1743
SIrPauly
Did someone say, RGSSAA?

SIrPauly can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultySIrPauly can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultySIrPauly can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Is Nvidia's strategy on mining on topic in this thread?
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Feb 21, 2021, 08:56 PM   #1744
curio
𐐒ananaD

curio nears the end of the distinguished roadcurio nears the end of the distinguished roadcurio nears the end of the distinguished roadcurio nears the end of the distinguished roadcurio nears the end of the distinguished roadcurio nears the end of the distinguished roadcurio nears the end of the distinguished roadcurio nears the end of the distinguished roadcurio nears the end of the distinguished roadcurio nears the end of the distinguished roadcurio nears the end of the distinguished road

Absolutely - 100% on topic and thanks for asking
Old Feb 21, 2021, 09:00 PM   #1745
curio
𐐒ananaD

Look I could be overruled on this by committee - but what I see from guys like Bill is no plan of sticking to the original intentions of this thread which is described in the first post.

This thread is meant for people who mine, it's clear from the beginning. It was never intended for people who don't do it or how much you might hate it unless you actually lost money with it.

Doing otherwise is called trolling guys

Last edited by curio : Feb 21, 2021 at 09:39 PM.
Old Feb 21, 2021, 09:03 PM   #1746
Nunz
RIP Roxen

Nunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand suns

Wasn't bill the one who said ponzi scheme? Welcome to the graphics forum. Bill trolls us all every day
"If you can't handle me when I'm bulking, you don't deserve me when I'm cut." -- Marilyn Monbroe
Nunz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2021, 09:07 PM   #1747
curio
𐐒ananaD

lol that's true, he does
Old Feb 21, 2021, 09:19 PM   #1748
SIrPauly
Did someone say, RGSSAA?

SIrPauly can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultySIrPauly can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultySIrPauly can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Quote:
Look I could be overruled on this by committee - but what I see from guys like Bill is no plan of sticking to the original intentions of this thread which is described in the first post.

This thread is meant for people who mine, it's clear from the beginning. It was never intended for people who don't do it or how much you might hate it.

Doing otherwise is called trolling guys
Can only speak for my self but personally desire to read views on Nvidia's mining strategies moving forward. On how they can solve the gamer vs miner demand obstacle This forum has some outstanding members with differing views and sometimes go off topic.

Last edited by curio : Feb 21, 2021 at 09:26 PM. Reason: edited with correct URL to orginal post
SIrPauly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2021, 09:24 PM   #1749
curio
𐐒ananaD

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIrPauly View Post
Can only speak for my self but personally desire to read views on Nvidia's mining strategies moving forward. On how they can solve the gamer vs miner demand obstacle This forum has some outstanding members with differing views and sometimes go off topic.
Totally understandable and feel free to express your concerns and opinions about that. That's actually participating, not trolling people.
Old Feb 21, 2021, 10:28 PM   #1750
Leprechaun
Radeon Arctic Islands

Leprechaun can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyLeprechaun can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyLeprechaun can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

I actually stopped posting in this thread since I was crucified for being a gamer turned gamer/miner.

I've also time and again keep getting blasted for exaggerating which I'm not. This is for the topic of new cards being @ MSRP. Sure the first week there were a few, and some got them. But an easy 99% of the world never even had a chance at these, and there was never enough quantity to supply the need. Most FE cards were sold in USA I assume? I just made the point that just because I got many 3000 series cards I could also turn around and say that all these new cards are widely available. I'm not an idiot, that would be disingenuous.

Also, yes mining takes up lots of electricity. I was always pissed about that. Then I realized this electricity is being wasted whether I'm the one doing it or not. I may as well get into the action. Everything we do takes up power, and lets be honest, how much of it is really worth it? Gaming, TV. Do we really need it?

Bitcoin is not some craze. I don't think it's going away or going to die. "ohh just wait until this cryptomining boom comes to an end like the last one". I think this time when it cools off, the floor will be much much higher. The thousands of meh altcoins might die off, but there's a lot of revolutionary tech and ideas to be explored. Health, voting, real estate, banking, uber/lyft are just a few of the sectors this could revolutionize. Western Union takes well over 100 years to establish itself, meanwhile it took just a few years to have technology which allows us to send funds to anyone, anywhere in an instant. (I don't want to get into the time we sent $$ by mail back to the old country decades ago and having it stolen at the post office)

Do you remember MPAA/RIAA? Everyone downloading movies, MP3s. Napster. MPAA/RIAA chose to just take everyone to court to get $$ instead of adapting. Remember Blockbuster with their blinders on, just looking ahead. They were huge. They had a chance to buy Netflix for cheap. Instead they laughed, and well....how did that go for Blockbuster. Adapt my friend, adapt. Banks are very worried now. They're forced to get in on the crypto action as well. If they sit around we won't need them. We'll be able to get loans, send $$, be our own bank, pay with everything through our PC/phone. Banks will be next to extinct. Governments are worried. Lose control of your currency you lose everything. That's all the government wants, CONTROL! I'm sure there will be many new laws and regulations, and of course the only thing I can guarantee you in life, TAXES. There's already a few countries adopting BTC as their reserve currency. (Obviously 3rd world countries where a barrel of their government's currency buys jack).

Bitcoin is the new gold. Digital gold that is. Someone notify the Dire Straits. We need a new song. Money through mining and our chicks..........

Anyways, do some reading on Dapps and smart contracts.

Bitcoin especially in February has skyrocketed in market cap. Passed $1 trillion just a few days ago. 1.05 trillion now. Gold has a market cap of about 10 trillion. Just watch as that slowly shifts to Bitcoin.

Anyways, to stop ranting and to get to my very point since the start of this thread. I'm trying to help the gamers out. If you have a card, at least start mining on that one card. If you don't want to mine for whatever reason, that's fine. Please do yourself a huge favor and read up on everything to do with crypto, block chain technology, smart contracts, Dapps, and whatever else you can find. It is the future. The banks, the governments, the establishment in general (which will influence the media) will try to fight it. They don't like it. Us peasants having more freedom, that's unacceptable.

I'm still a noob at all of this, but started to read daily. I've learned a lot. I have learned that I work to the bone day in day out, for scraps while rich BLEEEEEPPS sit on their arses collect billions in passive income. (and well there's the bribing politicians, stealing, killing, breaking laws, etc etc.) Seriously us old folk and especially gen Z, wake up!!!!!! I think Gen Z has a chance to be about the richest generation ever, as long as they have an open mind and get their heads out of their arses. The young crowd and 20somethings are the ones embracing all of this new tech the most. Get on this NOW and capitalize as best as you can. Get in early, get yourself some coin. Since my first post all I wanted to do was open people's eyes and help. If anything I shouldn't have ever been mad at miners in the past (2017/18), I should have been mad nobody opened my eyes. The money and opportunity is being thrown at you, and most gamers (especially on forums, YouTube, etc) are just crying "wah wah, nvidia should make me happy wah wah I want to game". This is your chance, this is your sign. You want to know the sad part? I game a lot less. If I game at night like I used to I'm missing out on coin/$$ Instead I just exercise even more.

Listen, I could rant on forever. You can playah hate, but hate the game instead. Even better, get in the game now before it's too late.
Old Feb 21, 2021, 11:53 PM   #1751
KAC
It might be gays!

KAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dial

For me mining was really good fun. I got a kick out of building that 8 card mining rig. I also loved to watch bucks flow into my pocket. However, given the electricity cost and heat it became unsustainable. Also, tech has improved. I do believe rather than mining you can do more by doing smart trades. I didn't have money ready to buy BTC at lower prices but I am now waiting for the "back to 40K" move and then will definitely buy some coin. The current mining I am doing is really to pay off the cards themselves. My 3090 hasn't arrived and I am already worried about it due to the plethora of issues people are having with EVGA POS cards.

Oh well, you live and you learn. If I could do it all over again, I would've kept my 0.5 BTC that I mined in a year. But what can you do. I typically am too indecisive and late to the party on everything (think Netflix, Amazon, Zoom, Docusign, Moderna, Tesla etc. etc.). While I was thinking about getting those stocks people already made a killing on them since March. Same w/ BTC, I was set on buying 1 coin when it was about 15K in November but then something happened and I missed it.

Mining is great if cost/benefit suits you but my limited experience says play the market. If you have $10K or some such lying around buy some coin and forget about it for next 4 years when it is expected to be about $125K per BTC. Totally worth the boners. That's what I am going to do.
KAC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2021, 06:54 AM   #1752
curio
𐐒ananaD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leprechaun View Post
:snipped:
:slowclap:

Old Feb 22, 2021, 09:28 AM   #1753
caveman-jim
Deposed King of Rage3D

caveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badges

anyone got any tips for XMRig on a 3990X?
caveman-jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2021, 11:11 AM   #1754
Leprechaun
Radeon Arctic Islands

Leprechaun can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyLeprechaun can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyLeprechaun can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Damn, wish I had that many cores to mine Monero. I haven't bothered as I only have 12cores/24T.
All I could find is random internet searches for config files. Hope someone here knows
Old Feb 22, 2021, 11:28 AM   #1755
SirBaron
Hallowed are the Ori

SirBaron exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselSirBaron exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselSirBaron exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselSirBaron exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselSirBaron exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselSirBaron exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselSirBaron exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselSirBaron exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselSirBaron exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselSirBaron exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselSirBaron exchanges holiday cards with Vin Diesel

I have two fans coming for the bottom of. My case. To blow to the gpu. Hopefully helps with the T-junction mem temps which sit at about 102'c. I don't want the gpu fan to be 100% non stop.

I'd rather wear out 140mm case fans.
Old Feb 22, 2021, 11:42 AM   #1756
Leprechaun
Radeon Arctic Islands

My 3 rigs have cold air blowing on them they are fine. My gaming rig is the only one @home and in a case. Mem hits 102C on this 3090. I find it odd that we all hit 102C exactly. It also hardly fluctuates. Every few minutes will finally move to 101.8c or something. Kinda fishy.

A record $50 mined in the last 4 hrs. Crazy!

Last edited by Leprechaun : Feb 22, 2021 at 12:15 PM.
Leprechaun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2021, 12:33 PM   #1757
bill dennison
Radeon Arctic Islands

bill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppers

Quote:
Again, I'd prefer you here - but I can't stop you from leaving

And I wasn't talking about you being off topic in the first place with any of what you just said. That's all very much on topic, even your concerns about it. Just stick to this and you'll be fine:

This thread is for posting about your mining hardware, hardware questions, money made/lost, software questions and any other mining related questions/ideas.

If someone is talking about how it's a 'ponzi scheme' based on no evidence to back that much less personal experience, you're just trolling IMO. This is for people actually participating in crypto - whether they lost or won.
it's out there and i didn't want to start anything

but a mod calling me a troll **** it

Paul Krugman

Nobel Prize Winner and Op-Ed Columnist for New York Times
http://www.krugmanonline.com/

Quote:
Bitcoin is basically a Ponzi scheme

https://www.seattletimes.com/opinion...-ponzi-scheme/

Quote:
Bitcoin is a pyramid scheme, economist says
Quote:
“It’s a pyramid scheme,” LendingTree Chief Economist Tendayi Kapfidze tells Yahoo Finance. “You only make money based on people who enter after you.

“It has no real utility in the world. They’ve been trying to create a utility for it for ten years now. It’s a solution in search of a problem and it still hasn’t found a problem to solve.”
https://finance.yahoo.com/news/econo...204217615.html

i'm out
bill dennison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2021, 01:16 PM   #1758
caveman-jim
Deposed King of Rage3D

caveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badges

Quote:
Damn, wish I had that many cores to mine Monero. I haven't bothered as I only have 12cores/24T.
All I could find is random internet searches for config files. Hope someone here knows
I had to configure XMRig to use 64T not 128T because it would crash after 2-3 hours. I think it's because I have 64GB of memory and not 128GB or more. Hashrate seems the same so that's good.
caveman-jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2021, 01:19 PM   #1759
SirBaron
Hallowed are the Ori

SirBaron exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselSirBaron exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselSirBaron exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselSirBaron exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselSirBaron exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselSirBaron exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselSirBaron exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselSirBaron exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselSirBaron exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselSirBaron exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselSirBaron exchanges holiday cards with Vin Diesel

Quote:
Originally Posted by bill dennison View Post

Paul Krugman

i'm out
Oi, I'm a mod and I've been calling you a troll for years.

Old Feb 22, 2021, 02:19 PM   #1760
Leprechaun
Radeon Arctic Islands

Quote:

Paul Krugman

i'm out
I mentioned before these people don't want it to succeed. It's not some ponzi scheme...all the billionaires, banks, hedge funds were putting BTC down. Now they're forced to have it as part of their investment portfolio...Now they are all acting like they came up with this, they're genius, etc

Sorry if I always type in short form. Typing on a phone sucks
Old Feb 22, 2021, 04:37 PM   #1761
acroig
Troll SMod

acroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand suns

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirBaron View Post
Oi, I'm a mod and I've been calling you a troll for years.

yoz
acroig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2021, 06:33 PM   #1762
curio
𐐒ananaD

Quote:

Paul Krugman

Nearly all equities fit that definition of 'ponzi scheme'

But that's all besides the point... the point is you keep going off topic and spreading FUD - which is not the point of this thread:

Quote:
Mods are supposed to call out trolls, literally their job. Just because it's been a while since this place was actually moderated well doesn't give you the right to keep going off topic and ignoring the point of this thread. We have actual definitions of words and constantly taking this thread off topic & spreading FUD is trolling. You make it difficult for people who actually do participate in mining & crypto or maybe want be a part of it, and by doing so you stifle the discussion of what this thread is supposed to be about. In fact I'm tired of watching the lenience around here while many of you keep flaunting the rules and ignoring moderator warnings.

I even told you guys to start your own thread about why mining & bitcoin & crypto sucks - but no, you got to keep trying to troll people in this thread which is for users who actually participate in mining and crypto.

If/when you come back, try actually following the purpose of this thread described in the first post.

Quote:
i'm out
Damn right you are

Last edited by curio : Feb 25, 2021 at 06:40 PM.
Old Feb 22, 2021, 06:58 PM   #1763
Dave
Radeon Arctic Islands

Dave glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsDave glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsDave glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsDave glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsDave glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsDave glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsDave glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsDave glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsDave glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsDave glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsDave glows with the radiance of a thousand suns

Subscriber

Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2021, 08:34 PM   #1764
KAC
It might be gays!

KAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dial

curio you are my hero.
Old Feb 22, 2021, 09:43 PM   #1765
curio
𐐒ananaD

Thank you. Now I hope those of you that actually do this or want to do this can get back to staying on topic.

Like about how that bitcoin had a tough day - at one point $1.5 billion in overleveraged futures was sold off. I think that's going to be a new norm - big bitcoin management funds that liquidate tons of cyrpto all at once.
Old Feb 22, 2021, 09:45 PM   #1766
Riptide
Avtomat Kalashnikova 1947

Riptide can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyRiptide can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Quote:
Everything we do takes up power, and lets be honest, how much of it is really worth it? Gaming, TV. Do we really need it?
There is precious little we actually need to survive and if some people had their way we'd be back to spending winters holed up in a teepee to avoid use of resources.
Quote:
Gold has a market cap of about 10 trillion. Just watch as that slowly shifts to Bitcoin.
The interesting thing to me is that bitcoin has some disadvantages. Disadvantages that other alt-coins address. Yet it continues to maintain supremacy in the market, at least in part because it was the first. It will be interesting to see what happens in the next 10-20 years.
Quote:
I CPU mine XMR on monero ocean. I also mine ETH and am paid in XMR there as well.
https://moneroocean.stream/

They have a version of xmrig that switches algos and has no dev fee. I highly recommend you look into this.
https://moneroocean.blogspot.com

There is a discord server as well.
https://discord.gg/ek3qCV8U

Quote:
Originally Posted by caveman-jim View Post
anyone got any tips for XMRig on a 3990X?
See above sir.

Ryzen 5950X
32GB GSkill PC 3600
ASUS TUF X570
ASRock Phantom 6900 XT
Riptide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2021, 09:47 PM   #1767
KAC
It might be gays!

Is CPU mining even worth it? For a 5900X?
Old Feb 22, 2021, 09:53 PM   #1768
curio
𐐒ananaD

Quote:
Originally Posted by KAC View Post
Is CPU mining even worth it? For a 5900X?
By my calcs that's about about 0.009 btc per year. Could be worth it.
Old Feb 22, 2021, 09:55 PM   #1769
curio
𐐒ananaD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riptide View Post
The interesting thing to me is that bitcoin has some disadvantages. Disadvantages that other alt-coins address. Yet it continues to maintain supremacy in the market, at least in part because it was the first. It will be interesting to see what happens in the next 10-20 years.
It's amazing what first to market and popularity accomplishes. Just more time and more word of mouth to build that market cap, even if it has several disadvantages over others. But I think defi will launch alt-coins probably beyond btc someday.
Old Feb 22, 2021, 11:05 PM   #1770
Leprechaun
Radeon Arctic Islands

Bitcoin was first that's why it has the biggest chunk of the crypto market. Something will overtake it in the future probably, but what? Eth?

I guess I won't bother mining Monero then. I've just traded for it instead. If you guesstimate 0.008 BTC for a 5900X then my 3900x will get even less. I could mine the same amount of eth value wise in 2 days with gpus.
@ Riptide. Thanks for the links.

I like seeing the market correct itself, perfect time to stock up on more altcoins

Anyone know if in the shorter term eth will fall flat on its face or shoot straight up? With proof of stake coming, almost all the mining pools are against it. When that hashing power is gone the Chinese farms will take over. Anyone have a take?
(Anyone have 32 eth I can borrow? )

Forgot to give my rant/take on the nvidia/miner problem. It's not a problem. nvidia definitely does not see it as a problem. They're too busy swimming in money to hear gamers complain. Miners don't see a problem, except they want moooaaarrr. Gamers however are stuck in the middle. nvidia is raking in the dough now, but is afraid for ~years end when eth mining isn't as profitable (those who mine other altcoins holler @ me). There will be LOTS of used cards on ebay. Gamers will win here. They will get their cards, albeit used but for a much much reduced price. Heck, get 2 or 3. Nvidia is scared of this because how well will the 4000 series sell then? Not good at all. Remember the 1080ti? Then nvidia realized ppl are paying absurd $$ for cards and the 2080ti was priced insanely. Ya, that didn't sell as gpu mining wasn't as profitable at the time. Then the 3000 series had a lower MSRP, but ooopppss mining here we come again. The only thing going to the moon were the gpu prices. I wonder if they'll sell the 4080 for $1499 and it flops again if nobody can profit off it.
Gamers are peeved because they think there's a new high price floor established for gpus. They are right, but I personally don't think it's as high as we might think. That will all depend on mining profitability. Nobody will pay $1500 for a card if it can't make them $$ and is only good for gaming. Believe me the 3000 series would never sell at these prices and at these quantities if people weren't making profit$.

Nvidia is making the miners happy, but the gamers are angry. So they make an effort to cripple the 3060 for mining ethereum only. Keep in mind the huge farms will get around this in no time. I even wonder if it's possible to just trick the card/drivers into making it seem like you're not even mining ethereum while you actually are? Maybe some software engineer will find a way to do just that. Please keep in mind it's just blocking ONE mining algorithm. There are many other altcoins to mine and some are quite profitable as well, and the crippled 3060 can still mine them at full hashrate. So, in turn this is at best a half-arsed effort from nvidia to look like the good guys to gamers. But, it's possible this means the 3060 will be available the first week for gamers to grab until a bypass is made for the mining aspect. Although I doubt it since the card isn't even out yet and there are countless # of them being resold on the 2nd hand market for insane price$.

So nvidia is extra smart by making mining specific cards. Stealing components from actual gaming cards and throwing them on rejected chips and hoping to sell exclusively for mining. Big problem here is I doubt miners will go for these. Too much power for too low a hash rate. The only half interesting one is 90HX and it comes out Q2. A little late. These should of been here back in September. Also, I know the prices will be absurd. The ROI will be ridiculous, and who knows what you'll mine once eth isn't as profitable. Also, you can't recoup any $$ on 2nd hand market as there is no video out. These might be DOA? Maybe some get bought? Nvidia makes a bit more money on salvaged chips, and prevents an abundance of cards on the 2nd hand market. In turn hoping to sell more RTX 4000 series in the future.

As we can see, nvidia is the only winner here. They don't care for gamers or miners. They just love our money. This isn't an nvidia exclusive this is true with any large company/corporation. We're walking wallets to them. They could care less who buys their products, they just want money year in year out.

To reiterate what I said in a previous post, mining must be raking in mucho dinero for nvidia. I counted 11 video cards (PCI generic 2D crud, 3dfx, ATI/AMD, nvidia) that I purchased since ~ 1988. Meanwhile I just matched that in a few months buying 3000 series cards. Insane prices I wouldn't even think once of spending if it was just for gaming. (The bonus is I get to game on a 3090. I've always been way behind on top gfx every gen until now). So to me mining has been a bonus to gaming as well.

I'll end the rant here. Complains, comments, criticisms?

edit: Also heard over the weekend that this week F2POOL was gonna do a large selloff on bitcoin, etc. Looks like they did bring the markets down a bit, but it's not all their work.

Last edited by Leprechaun : Feb 22, 2021 at 11:12 PM.
Leprechaun is offline   Reply With Quote