Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Graphics Technology Forums » AMD Radeon Software Discussion and Support
Rage3D Subscribe FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

AMD Radeon Software Discussion and Support Discussion and Technical support forum for AMD's Radeon Software.

Old Jan 21, 2003, 11:59 AM   #1
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
SCREAMERPOOH

SCREAMERPOOH is still being judged by the masses

Default PC Resets during gaming w/Catalyst 3.0 9500Pro...

I recently installed a 9500 Pro with Catalyst 3.0 drivers and Directx 9. Evidently, my first installation of the drivers was not complete, as Win2k would act very quirky. I completely removed the 3.0 drivers and re-installed them again. Everything runs smooth now in Windows. However, during gaming (dungeon siege and GTA3), I can be playing for an hour or so and the computer will suddenly reboot. The time it takes for this to happen appears to be random.

My first thought is IRQ problems, but evidently ACPI in Win2k has everything sharing IRQ9 up-front. I will assume that its allocation of addresses behind the scenes is sufficient enough to avoid hardware conflicts. So, I've installed the latest and greatest Hyperion drivers for my chipset, the latest SBlaster Live drivers, and BIOS fixes for my MB. My specs are below. I'm hoping it's not an issue with Directx 9 itself. I really don't want to re-install win2k. If anyone's experienced the same issues with Radeon related drivers and/or cards, your input would help.

Asus A7V motherboard
Athlon 1.0Ghz
1.24G Ram
Sblaster Live Gamer
Radeon 9500Pro
Win2k SP3
SCREAMERPOOH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21, 2003, 12:39 PM   #2
Flamey
Radeon R200

Flamey is still being judged by the masses

I see you have a KT133 chipset mobo, which drivers were you using before? Catalyst 2.3 and above have this bug whereby the pc will reset or lockup in games but only on KT133/x chipsets. If this is the problem (which I suspect as its the same symptoms as I get crashes are random), there's little you can do except revert back to older drivers and hammer Ati to fix the problem (which they seem to think isn't their problem as many have this issue and they havn't bothered to reply). For more info see this thread.
Sapphire Radeon 4870

Last edited by Flamey : Jan 21, 2003 at 12:46 PM.
Flamey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21, 2003, 02:28 PM   #3
Mr Intel
Radeon R300

Mr Intel is still being judged by the masses

VIA the mother of all problems
Mr Intel is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Jan 23, 2003, 09:46 PM   #4
SCREAMERPOOH

SCREAMERPOOH is still being judged by the masses

Thanks for the input flamey. I've actually been doing a lot of testing to try and find the source of the problem. I still have the latest hyperion drivers loaded, but I backed off to the Catalyst 2.5 drivers. I'm also messing around with my AGP voltage. I notice that when playing GTA3, I get sound stuttering. When this happens, the video begins to slow down as well. The game doesn't stop or crash, but there is a definite degrade in performance. I read one thread where a guy had success with increasing the voltage to his AGP/memory/IO. His claim was that by doing this, he was able to correct an already lower than acceptable I/O voltage. I've been testing this out, and I admit I was able to play GTA3 much longer than usual, but I still encountered the same problem about an hour into the game.

I dual boot win2k and win98se so my next test is to install the same game in win98se to look for deviation between the two OS's. This could point to ACPI related issues, directx 8.1 and 9.0 differences, or possibly something else......I have the same video and chipset drivers loaded already, so we'll see. If you know of anything else that's helpful, let me know.

thx
SCREAMERPOOH is offline   Reply With Quote