Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Community and Site Discussions » Front Page News
Rage3D Subscribe FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Front Page News News and Rage3D articles as it appears on the frontpage.

Old Aug 18, 2007, 03:11 PM   #1
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
Android1
Super Moderator

Android1 knows why the caged bird singsAndroid1 knows why the caged bird singsAndroid1 knows why the caged bird singsAndroid1 knows why the caged bird singsAndroid1 knows why the caged bird singsAndroid1 knows why the caged bird sings

Intel Wolfdale, Yorkfield to Hit 3.16GHz at Launch

Let's hope these chips prove to be excellent overclockers. I want to see 4GHz at launch!

According to Digitimes, 45nm Penryn desktop processor family that is scheduled to come out in Q1 2008 will include 9 models from the start. Five of them will have two computational cores and four will be quad-core solutions. The maximum working frequency of the Penryn processors will hit 3.16GHz at launch.

Dual-core 45nm Penryn processors also known as Wolfdale will be available with clock speeds from 2.5GHz to 3.16GHz. Typically, they will feature 6MB of L2 cache memory, however the youngest model in the lineup will have a cur down 3MB L2 cache. This processor will also lose Virtualization Technology and Trusted Execution Technology support.

Quad-core desktop processors also known as Yorkfield will launch with the clock speeds between 2.5GHz and 3.0GHz. These CPUs will feature the total of 12MB L2 cache memory except for the youngest fellow in the family, which will have only 6MB of L2 cache.

We have to stress that so many models in the processor lineup result from the fact that they will support fractional multipliers with 0.5x increment. And since all Yorkfield and Wolfdale will support 1333MHz bus, the difference in clock frequencies between the closest models in the lineup will equal 166MHz.

Although the desktop Penryn processor family is scheduled to come out only next year, the first of the promising 45nm processors will be launched this year already. It is expected to be Yorkfield Extreme Edition that should arrive almost simultaneously with the server Penryn family represented by Xeon E54XX processors.

According to sources, until Nehalem CPUs come out, Penryn will increase their clock speeds up to 4GHz. This will be the startup frequency for Nehalem processors in H2 2008.

Source: X-bit Labs
Android1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 18, 2007, 03:24 PM   #2
nomore
Radeon Arctic Islands

nomore once jumped the English Channelnomore once jumped the English Channelnomore once jumped the English Channelnomore once jumped the English Channelnomore once jumped the English Channelnomore once jumped the English Channelnomore once jumped the English Channelnomore once jumped the English Channelnomore once jumped the English Channelnomore once jumped the English Channelnomore once jumped the English Channel

now just tell me whether my 650i SLI motherboard will support them or not, I will kiss you on your forehead.
Quote:
Originally Posted by H001iGAN View Post
no matter how you look at it, it's still better on PC
nomore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 18, 2007, 11:03 PM   #3
PeaceKeeper
Keeping The Peace

PeaceKeeper is still being judged by the masses

Subscriber

I'm wondering if this will be the next generation of the MHZ War...

ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Dark Hero (Bios 4201) | AMD Ryzen 7 5800X | Noctua NH-D14 | 64GB Crucial Ballistix PC4-28800 DDR4 @ 3600MHz (16-18-18-38-1T) @ 1.35v | EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti SC2 Gaming 11GB | Creative Sound Blaster AE-5 | Samsung 970 Pro 1TB NVMe | Samsung 860 Pro 1TB SATA III SSD | 2x Western Digital Caviar Black WD2003FZEX 2TB 7200 RPM 64MB Cache SATA2 Hard Drives RAID 1 | ASUS BC-12B1ST 12x BD-ROM | ASUS DRW-24F1ST 24x DVD-RW | Logitech G400 Mouse | Ducky One 2 Phantom Black Double Shot PBT Mechanical Keyboard | EVGA Supernova P2 Platinum 1000 Watt Power Supply | Corsair Obsidian 650D | Dell S2721DGF 27" LCD | Logitech Z-2300 THX-Certified 2.1 / Sennheiser RS 170 | APC Smart-UPS SMT 1500 | Windows 10 Professional x64

MacBook Pro | 13.3 Inch Widescreen Display | Intel Core i5 @ 2.9GHz | 8GB DDR3 @ 1867MHz | Intel Iris 6100 1536MB | 512GB SSD | MAC OS Big Sur
PeaceKeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Aug 19, 2007, 12:07 PM   #4
Sound_Card
Banned

Sound_Card can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultySound_Card can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

With Phenom comming anyday now, Intel is looking a little scared.
Sound_Card is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 19, 2007, 04:00 PM   #5
Dragunov
Radeon R420

Dragunov is still being judged by the masses

Scared, don't think soo, they have a very good CPU on the market already and I guess they gonna rock once again with their new CPUs
- MSI Geforce 8800GTS 640MB
- Creative X-Fi Elite Pro
- Seagate 320GB 7200/10
- Logitech MX-518
- Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit NL
Dragunov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 19, 2007, 04:20 PM   #6
Sound_Card
Banned

Sound_Card can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultySound_Card can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragunov View Post
Scared, don't think soo, they have a very good CPU on the market already and I guess they gonna rock once again with their new CPUs
Ok, what better way can I put this? Intel is starting to feel some heat?

Clock for clock, I doubt even Peryn will be as fast as Barcy. And Barcy is going to hit the market first.
Old Aug 19, 2007, 04:58 PM   #7
caveman-jim
Deposed King of Rage3D

caveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badges

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sound_Card View Post
Ok, what better way can I put this? Intel is starting to feel some heat?

Clock for clock, I doubt even Peryn will be as fast as Barcy. And Barcy is going to hit the market first.
caveman-jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 19, 2007, 05:27 PM   #8
Sound_Card
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by caveman-jim View Post
Whats up? Care to provide insight?

Read this..

http://www.hkepc.com/bbs/hwdb.php?ti...iew&rid=837360

then this...

http://www.theinquirer.net/default.aspx?article=40749

Of course speculation. I'll give one thing to Peryn, it seems it's going to be energy efficient. But I'm willing to put money down that is the only thing Peryn will have on Barcy. Perhaps I should compare Peryn to Agena instead as it's going to hit right with Peryn. Sad thing is, Agena is soppose to be even faster than Barcy due to having higher clocks.
Old Aug 19, 2007, 07:39 PM   #9
ragster128
Misanthrope

ragster128 is still being judged by the masses

What I'm waiting for is Intel to implement a IMC on desktop chips!! Either way this Fall should be an exciting period.
ragster128 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 20, 2007, 09:16 AM   #10
Jas420221
Banned

Jas420221 is still being judged by the masses

Thats excellent news all around.

@ Sound Card...That of which you linked was:

1. From the INQ (we all know their track record on accuracy)
2. Was from July
3. Was based on specualtion (see #1)..
4. RE: hkepc link, that shows a pretty decent increase to me. Not say from P4 to conroe, but pretty decent increases none the less. Also, that link just shows how far Bacry really needs to go as even the AM2 arent as good clock for clock as the Conroe's are...
Jas420221 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 21, 2007, 08:01 AM   #11
Sound_Card
Banned

Whats the difference between a AM2 K8 and a 939 K8 besides a DDR2 memory controller? Nothing.

Yep, its the INQ. But give credit where credit is due, they have been right many times before. My Hkepc link is to show the gain Wolfdate has over Conroe. My Inq link is to show the gain Barcy has over Clovertown. I provided both links as a illustration to each other.
Old Aug 21, 2007, 09:47 AM   #12
caveman-jim
Deposed King of Rage3D

caveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badges

Quote:
Whats the difference between a AM2 K8 and a 939 K8 besides a DDR2 memory controller? Nothing.
Virtualization extensions & efficiency improvements

Quote:
Yep, its the INQ. But give credit where credit is due, they have been right many times before. My Hkepc link is to show the gain Wolfdate has over Conroe. My Inq link is to show the gain Barcy has over Clovertown. I provided both links as a illustration to each other.
The Inq. is right because they report everything, even if it contradicts themselves.
Old Aug 21, 2007, 10:32 AM   #13
Sound_Card
Banned

Quote:
Virtualization extensions
Pacifica Virtualisation Technology? That's for software devlopers and is mainly used in servers.

Quote:
efficiency improvements
... Lowering the Vcore is so efficient. And that is only on the energy efficient versions.

http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/cpu...efficient.html
http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/200...x-62_x2_5000/4
Old Aug 21, 2007, 10:41 AM   #14
caveman-jim
Deposed King of Rage3D

Virtualization is user for waaaaaaaaaay more than software developers, and in more than servers (hence why it is in a desktop chip..........)

While the efficiency improvement is minimal, it is there. Don't be afraid to learn, S_C. There are many others that have close sources to IHV's and OEM's, that don't tout them in their user title, signature, and avatar, looking to wave their e-peen.
Old Aug 21, 2007, 10:57 AM   #15
Sound_Card
Banned

Quote:
Virtualization is user for waaaaaaaaaay more than software developers, and in more than servers (hence why it is in a desktop chip..........)

While the efficiency improvement is minimal, it is there. Don't be afraid to learn, S_C. There are many others that have close sources to IHV's and OEM's, that don't tout them in their user title, signature, and avatar, looking to wave their e-peen.
Clearly you did not read the link. Virtualization is not exploited by consumers nor is it used hardly in desktops. Never said the technology was not in the desktop chips, just that Virtualization is only benifiting in the server space. And it's not widly adopted by software devlopers.

The energy efficient versions are for the general consuming public, targeting the HDPC crowed. The only difference between the energy efficient versions and the normal versions is a lower Vcore. Their reason why enthusiast stay away from them and their is a reason why the normal rated versions are made in parallel with the energy efficient ones.

Provide links and insight to your post please and read others evidence.

Quote:
There are many others that have close sources to IHV's and OEM's, that don't tout them in their user title, signature, and avatar, looking to wave their e-peen.
What's wrong with my sig? Whats wrong with my title?

I'm a ATi beta tester and I'm providing a direct link to report a bug in my sig... Some how this offends you. What do you want me to do? Hide the fact that I'm a beta tester? Perhaps you should also take this up with SSX and Spyre as well.

So you were the one that reported my original avatar? Go figure.

Last edited by Sound_Card : Aug 21, 2007 at 11:00 AM.
Old Aug 21, 2007, 11:08 AM   #16
Jas420221
Banned

Those links just werent proof of your original statement is all.
Quote:
Clock for clock, I doubt even Peryn will be as fast as Barcy.
You can stretch it to fit w/e you want, but its still not proof of anything which you originally stated in this thread. You (or me, or anyone) have no idea. The other thread you tried to throw up AMD leaked, "synthetic estimates" as proof of your Phenon is faster clock for clock than Penryn or w/e.

As far as your avi, sig, user title, icons and such... Its just the attitude that goes along with it, IMHO, makes it kind of a joke. It makes every post you put up here seem well, fanboyish. And since you, in most cases (cpu), cannot back it up with anything other than speculation and estimates, thats where it gets comical and hard to believe you have an unbiased bone in your body when it comes to ATI/AMD vs others (sorry cavey, didnt mean to steal your thunder).

Last edited by Jas420221 : Aug 21, 2007 at 11:11 AM.
Old Aug 21, 2007, 11:26 AM   #17
Sound_Card
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jas420221 View Post
Those links just werent proof of your original statement is all. You can stretch it to fit w/e you want, but its still not proof of anything which you originally stated in this thread. You (or me, or anyone) have no idea. The other thread you tried to throw up AMD leaked, "synthetic estimates" as proof of your Phenon is faster clock for clock than Penryn or w/e.
You can take my evidence as proof or not. That is not for me to decide. It's a opinion matter, and I provided the evidence to go with my opinion. But at least I have something to provide, and provided it mind you. Something that has yet to be done.

Quote:
As far as your avi, sig, user title, icons and such... Its just the attitude that goes along with it, IMHO, makes it kind of a joke. It makes every post you put up here seem well, fanboyish. And since you, in most cases (cpu), cannot back it up with anything other than speculation and estimates, thats where it gets comical and hard to believe you have an unbiased bone in your body when it comes to ATI/AMD vs others (sorry cavey, didnt mean to steal your thunder).
I'm a ATi fan on a ATi fan/support site. Your absolutly right. However, I'm not going to BS and cut corners. My evidence not for you or anyone else to decide as fact. I clearly stated it was was speculation to begin with but the evidence was provided to support my opinion, in which I said.. "I doubt even Peryn will be as fast clock for clock". Their is a difference in being faster, and being faster clock for clock. You sir have a problem with reading too deep into other peoples post, and in the end, making a fool out of your self.

You act like you know me. But if you did, you would not call me AMD biased. ATi biased? Yep, don't care what you think about that either, but that does not change my judgment in helping others.
Old Aug 21, 2007, 11:34 AM   #18
Jas420221
Banned

Dont worry, Im not taking it as proof, nor should anyone else. Nor should you even be spreading that information and jocking it (in other threads and statements) as proof. Its just not there. Though in fairness, in THIS thread you did state speculation. Your opinion however has been vomited over into numerous threads where you DIDNT throw out a disclaimer that your opinion was based off of speculative, AMD grown, estimated information. We all just want the truth, consistently. Not what you deem it to be. Its great to have that information and to talk about it, but you beleive it wholeheartedly and spread it like the plague. I hope its right, for everyones sake.

As far as proof on the other side...well, you can see why I dont provide it. b/c I am not a hippocrite. I do my best not to post up speculation and estimates from the 'home' company then spread my view based soley on speculation. I am under the influence of facts. The fact is, clock for clock Conroe is faster than AM2. Until there are other FACTS out onthe new gens I will continue thinking that way.

As far as making a fool out of myself. Laughable at best, and be careful on the insults please (calling me a fool). Im not attacking you, Im questioning the credibilty of your statements and lack of factual supporting evidence in the face of your obvious bias supported by your avi, past posting history, your statement above, and icons you (used to) threw up for no apparent reason but to front your loyalty.

Last edited by Jas420221 : Aug 21, 2007 at 11:39 AM.
Old Aug 21, 2007, 11:41 AM   #19
Lupine
Administrator

Lupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at best

Guys, knock it off. Stick to the topic and take the rest to PM if you must.
Lupine is offline   Reply With Quote