Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Gaming and Computing Forums » General Hardware
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

General Hardware Talk about PCs/Macs, motherboards, CPUs, sound cards, RAM, hard drives, networking and everything else about computer hardware!

Old Jul 13, 2021, 11:36 AM   #1
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
Lupine
Administrator

Lupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at best

Default Drobo NAS failure recovery?

Been retiring the remaining Drobo NASes at work, and moved a bit slow apparently. End of last week a 5N2 showed a pending drive failure, then the device itself was off and wouldn't power on when I got to the office yesterday. Fan spins up, but no lights. Not an uncommon failure, according to a quick web search.

Anyone have experience with Drobos? My thought process is to move the drives over to a different Drobo, unfortunately I don't have any other 5N2 models, just a 5N and FS. Assuming (dangerous word, I know) the file system is the same, seems like the data should be readable. All are set up for RAID5. I just need to pull the data and get it moved over to a Synology NAS.
Lupine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 13, 2021, 03:38 PM   #2
Gandalfthewhite
Hardware Enthusiast

Gandalfthewhite is not someone to be trifled withGandalfthewhite is not someone to be trifled withGandalfthewhite is not someone to be trifled withGandalfthewhite is not someone to be trifled withGandalfthewhite is not someone to be trifled withGandalfthewhite is not someone to be trifled withGandalfthewhite is not someone to be trifled withGandalfthewhite is not someone to be trifled with

Subscriber

I would contact drobo and ask to verify if the file system is the same (I too would assume if its the same product line it should be the same file system)

HOURGLASS = most appropriate named ICON/CURSOR in the Windows world :-)

In a dank corner of ATI central, the carpet covered with corn flakes, the faint sound of clicking can be heard........Click......click, click............as the fate of the graphics world and the future of the human race hangs in the balance.

I know....I know........Keep my day job :-)- catcather
Gandalfthewhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 13, 2021, 03:48 PM   #3
Lupine
Administrator

Lupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at best

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gandalfthewhite View Post
I would contact drobo and ask to verify if the file system is the same (I too would assume if its the same product line it should be the same file system)
Been trying that, and they're unresponsive thus far. That is a primary reason I'm moving away from their product line. Among the many other Synology benefits, they actually have a support number I can dial lol.
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Yesterday, 02:23 PM   #4
Lupine
Administrator

So $350 to send the failed 5N2 unit in for repair. Even though file system is apparently the same, for the 5N and 5N2, Drobo support says you can move drives upstream to newer models, but never downstream to older models. If the data wasn't critical, I'd go ahead and give it a shot.

New Synology unit (RS1221+) arrived a few days ago. Currently transferring data from our Drobo 5N to it. PAINFULLY slow, since Drobo doesn't have any connectivity options beyond the NIC.

Looking forward to receiving the 5N2 back, getting the data out, and retiring the Drobo line completely. I want to smack whomever decided to buy these Drobos.

edit: for context, we're talking about approx. 60TB of data per unit. So yeah. Slow.

Last edited by Lupine : Yesterday at 02:30 PM.
Old Yesterday, 08:10 PM   #5
andino
Radeon Arctic Islands

andino can recite pi backwardsandino can recite pi backwardsandino can recite pi backwardsandino can recite pi backwardsandino can recite pi backwardsandino can recite pi backwardsandino can recite pi backwards

That would suck. 60TB at NIC speeds is brutal. Small file transfers suck the life out of that too.
andino is online now   Reply With Quote