Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Gaming and Computing Forums » PC Gaming
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

PC Gaming Discuss all PC games, past and present. Talk about your favorite games, share tips and strategies, and anything else relating to computer games.

Old Jan 27, 2007, 05:39 PM   #91
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
Spencer
CA Driftwood

Spencer once held a door open for a complete strangerSpencer once held a door open for a complete strangerSpencer once held a door open for a complete stranger

Alright I've been itching to ask about some physics. It may be in one of the videos above but I haven't looked at them yet. But did anyone see an E3 video or any video of UT2007/UT3 showing dozens and dozens of boulders crashing down the hill? Wouldn't that be cool dodging those while fighting or even when just chatting. So I noticed in Oblivion there are some boulders and logs falling on you in traps usually in caves. I wonder if the UT3 ones will actually have many more boulders falling than Oblivion does. Or more than any game out now? And of course quality matters, like if you can knock any of the boulders off their path and so on.

Last edited by Spencer : Jan 27, 2007 at 05:43 PM.
Spencer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27, 2007, 07:29 PM   #92
Freelance
Radeon R300

Freelance is still being judged by the masses

i'm curious as to what level they use physics. they said a while ago that UT3 uses ageia's physics, and can use the accelerator cards. i'm left with two issues:
-how do you do the networking to match the physics across 32 players in a game? (although cellfactor apparently did it, and UT's netcode has been pretty good in earlier games)
-how do you account for people with and without acceleration playing together?
for me the obvious answer is to make physics not impact the gameplay. thoughts?
There's no escaping, insect. You had to meddle, had to destroy my beautiful station. So be it. You'll forgive me if I don't stay to enjoy the final conflagration, but I have better things to do. As for you, you've made your bed. Now die in it.
Freelance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27, 2007, 07:51 PM   #93
Dragex
Pwned and Boned

Dragex is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freelance View Post
i'm curious as to what level they use physics. they said a while ago that UT3 uses ageia's physics, and can use the accelerator cards. i'm left with two issues:
-how do you do the networking to match the physics across 32 players in a game? (although cellfactor apparently did it, and UT's netcode has been pretty good in earlier games)
-how do you account for people with and without acceleration playing together?
for me the obvious answer is to make physics not impact the gameplay. thoughts?
As far as I know its limited to eye candy.

Fallout3, Mirror's Edge, HL2:Ep2, Braid, CoD4, Crysis WH.

Upcoming games I'm going to play:

FF7 PSOneEmulator, FarCry2, NWN2, BioShockPc, Finish Assassin's Creed,
SW:Force Unleashed, Trine, The Witcher, Finish Doom3.
Dragex is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Jan 27, 2007, 09:18 PM   #94
Emmet Otter
I mend fences

Emmet Otter is still being judged by the masses

GameInformer: Mark Rein Interview http://www.gameinformer.com/News/Sto...507.htm?Page=1

Quote:
Rein: We always aim Unreal for systems that people don’t have yet. (laughs) Whether its UT or any Unreal game, so I think the sweet spot has yet to show up. Again, it’s 64-bit and a ton of RAM, like an NVIDIA dual 8800s and Core 2 Extreme Quad processor—you could certainly build a super rig, but UT3 with everything turned up all the way is still going to struggle on that kind of thing. A year from now, it’ll still be a game that is a showcase game for whatever hardware you happen to be getting then. That’s normal. That’s exactly the way we’ve done it every time from the original
Im not surprised by this at all. For me, it took me nearly 2 years to get ut2k4 to play great in the system that I have now affordably. The same will go for this as well. I expect to be able to play this game at great framerates next year. Seriously
Occupation: mending fences Interests: playing washtub bass for a jugband, digital photography, hiking and watching NJ Devils hockey. Favorate games: Unreal Tournament series except UTIII, Stalker SoC, F.E.A.R, cant wait for DiabloIII
Camera Gear: Canon 30D, 1D3 and 5DII.
85 1.2L II
24 1.4L II
24 - 105 4L IS
70 - 200 2.8L IS
24 - 70 L
100 2.8 macro
MP-E 65 2.8 5x macro
sigma 12-24 4.5-5.6
tokina 10-17 3.5-4.5 fishy
speedlites 580EX/580EXII and MT-24EX

-My New Slideshow-

-My Photo Slideshow-

Emmet Otter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27, 2007, 09:24 PM   #95
Chubz
Doomer

Chubz once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Chubz once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Chubz once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Chubz once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Chubz once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Chubz once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grov View Post
Shock rifle- 3 shots
Lightning gun- 2 shots
Sniper rifle- 2 shots
Flak Cannon direct hit- 1 shot
Rocket launcher- 1 shot

The list goes on. The weapons are better than any other FPS of a similar setting IMO. The shock rifle is pure class. The only one's that would come close are Quake 3's Railgun, and the BFG.
My bad. Didn't know a flak cannon could kill someone in 1 shot.. haven't played UT 2004 in a while. I have the game but just never could really get a feel for it, so it was never one of my most-played PC games.
Old Jan 28, 2007, 12:08 PM   #96
DaJMasta
Baffoonist

DaJMasta doesn't need no stinkin' badgesDaJMasta doesn't need no stinkin' badgesDaJMasta doesn't need no stinkin' badgesDaJMasta doesn't need no stinkin' badgesDaJMasta doesn't need no stinkin' badgesDaJMasta doesn't need no stinkin' badgesDaJMasta doesn't need no stinkin' badgesDaJMasta doesn't need no stinkin' badgesDaJMasta doesn't need no stinkin' badges

For physics.... they've got a few things going...

They started with the integration of the Novodex physics engine early one, this was then bought by Ageia and the game now supports the add-in physics card. Novodex is quite a powerful engine, and is more sophisticated than HL2's Havoc engine, I think it is very similar to the engines used in cell factor and other games, but I haven't bothered to look.

While this is the engine integrated into the unreal engine 3, it was designed to be able to accommodate other engines, as the physics is still (as I understand it) a separate component of the game engine, so other licensees may choose something else.

I think if you look to GoW, you will get some feel for Epic's physics implementation, and because they want to keep the requirements relatively low, I doubt they will be using it extensively; but because the potential is there, I would expect this to be a feature of many user-created maps.

I did fairly extensive work with physics in UT2004 and have been looking forward to this engine for a while, because of some new editor tools, there now is a way to completely configure a mesh's physics, and demo it in realtime, in the editor.... so I have little doubt this will be used extensively.

As for network bandwidth, the easiest way to get low-bandwidth physics is a precise physics engine and exact timing and force info distributed from the server. i.e. you setup all the objects in a level and let them be, only updating each one once a second (or less) with server-side position and velocity data (as a check) and distribute all player movement and weapons fire exactly from the server. With an accurate physics engine, every client simulation will do the same thing given this data, and the less frequent server checks will make sure nothing gets out of line.
Desktop: Intel Core i7 7770k : 16GB EVGA DDR4 2400 : Gigabyte GTX 1070 Ti Windforce X2 : Gigabyte GA-H270-WIFI : AudioQuest DragonFly DAC : Samsung SM961 NVMe 1TB SSD : Corsair Builder 500W PSU : Samsung 1440p 32" Monitor : Klipsch Promedia 2.1 : Windows 10 Pro x64
Tablet: Microsoft Surface Pro 4 : Intel Core i5-6300U : 8GB DDR3 : Intel 520 Integrated : 256GB SSD : 12.3" 2736x1824 display : Windows 10 Pro x64
HTPC: Intel Core i3 3225 : HD 4000 integrated : 8GB Samsung DDR3 1600 : Gigabyte H77N-Wifi : 120GB Sandisk Extreme SSD : 80W power brick and picoPSU150 XT : Integrated HD Audio : Scepter 32" LCD TV : Logitech Z313 2.1 : Windows 7 Pro x64

DaJMasta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2007, 01:11 PM   #97
Dark_Swordmaster
Radeon Arctic Islands

Dark_Swordmaster once held a door open for a complete strangerDark_Swordmaster once held a door open for a complete strangerDark_Swordmaster once held a door open for a complete stranger

There's a toy where you can play with a lot of Novodex physics demos. I don't remember where it is. It's pretty niftykeen though.
Dark_Swordmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2007, 02:02 PM   #98
Android1
Radeon Polaris 20 XL

Android1 knows why the caged bird singsAndroid1 knows why the caged bird singsAndroid1 knows why the caged bird singsAndroid1 knows why the caged bird singsAndroid1 knows why the caged bird sings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark_Swordmaster View Post
There's a toy where you can play with a lot of Novodex physics demos. I don't remember where it is. It's pretty niftykeen though.
NovodeX Rocket - Physics Demo?
Android1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2007, 02:22 PM   #99
Dark_Swordmaster
Radeon Arctic Islands

Dark_Swordmaster once held a door open for a complete strangerDark_Swordmaster once held a door open for a complete strangerDark_Swordmaster once held a door open for a complete stranger

No, I mean it had a bunch of little setups. Like a stack of boxes or a bunch of ragdolls. I have it and if we can't find it anywhere I guess I could put it somewhere.
Old Feb 1, 2007, 06:45 PM   #100
Pirate Neilsouth
The undead have returned!

Pirate Neilsouth is not someone to be trifled withPirate Neilsouth is not someone to be trifled withPirate Neilsouth is not someone to be trifled withPirate Neilsouth is not someone to be trifled withPirate Neilsouth is not someone to be trifled withPirate Neilsouth is not someone to be trifled withPirate Neilsouth is not someone to be trifled with

Cool preview

http://uk.pc.gamespy.com/pc/unreal-t.../759184p1.html

Quote:
The framerate was slightly choppy from time to time during the demo, but overall, the visuals really showed off what Epic has done with the Unreal 3 engine. Textures look amazing and the character models are exceptionally detailed. I was on the (human) blue team, which meant that I was more or less having an experience akin to what UT 2004 players are used to. Lots of traditional vehicles and weaponry were the order of the day.
Old Feb 1, 2007, 11:15 PM   #101
GiG-DaDDy
Radeon R700

GiG-DaDDy is still being judged by the masses

Any n00bs on tonite

Look me up GiG-DaDDy

ok den.
GiG-DaDDy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 2, 2007, 12:24 AM   #102
MarKoNiO
XXXtreme Gamer

MarKoNiO is still being judged by the masses

They renamed because they don´t want to be preassured about the realease date.

UT3 = UT2008 imo

~MarKoNiO~
~ XXXtreme Gamer 4 ever~
MarKoNiO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 3, 2007, 10:03 PM   #103
Emmet Otter
I mend fences

Emmet Otter is still being judged by the masses

Heads up folks, new screenshot!

Occupation: mending fences Interests: playing washtub bass for a jugband, digital photography, hiking and watching NJ Devils hockey. Favorate games: Unreal Tournament series except UTIII, Stalker SoC, F.E.A.R, cant wait for DiabloIII
Camera Gear: Canon 30D, 1D3 and 5DII.
85 1.2L II
24 1.4L II
24 - 105 4L IS
70 - 200 2.8L IS
24 - 70 L
100 2.8 macro
MP-E 65 2.8 5x macro
sigma 12-24 4.5-5.6
tokina 10-17 3.5-4.5 fishy
speedlites 580EX/580EXII and MT-24EX

-My New Slideshow-

-My Photo Slideshow-

Last edited by Emmet Otter : Feb 3, 2007 at 10:14 PM.
Emmet Otter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 4, 2007, 09:34 AM   #104
DaJMasta
Baffoonist

DaJMasta doesn't need no stinkin' badgesDaJMasta doesn't need no stinkin' badgesDaJMasta doesn't need no stinkin' badgesDaJMasta doesn't need no stinkin' badgesDaJMasta doesn't need no stinkin' badgesDaJMasta doesn't need no stinkin' badgesDaJMasta doesn't need no stinkin' badgesDaJMasta doesn't need no stinkin' badgesDaJMasta doesn't need no stinkin' badges

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emmet Otter View Post
Heads up folks, new screenshot!

Too bad it's compressed like crazy so it looks eh....
Desktop: Intel Core i7 7770k : 16GB EVGA DDR4 2400 : Gigabyte GTX 1070 Ti Windforce X2 : Gigabyte GA-H270-WIFI : AudioQuest DragonFly DAC : Samsung SM961 NVMe 1TB SSD : Corsair Builder 500W PSU : Samsung 1440p 32" Monitor : Klipsch Promedia 2.1 : Windows 10 Pro x64
Tablet: Microsoft Surface Pro 4 : Intel Core i5-6300U : 8GB DDR3 : Intel 520 Integrated : 256GB SSD : 12.3" 2736x1824 display : Windows 10 Pro x64
HTPC: Intel Core i3 3225 : HD 4000 integrated : 8GB Samsung DDR3 1600 : Gigabyte H77N-Wifi : 120GB Sandisk Extreme SSD : 80W power brick and picoPSU150 XT : Integrated HD Audio : Scepter 32" LCD TV : Logitech Z313 2.1 : Windows 7 Pro x64

Old Feb 4, 2007, 11:37 AM   #105
KAC
It might be gays!

KAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dial

When is it coming out?
KAC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 4, 2007, 11:42 AM   #106
Crawdaddy79
Radeon 8500

Crawdaddy79 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Crawdaddy79 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Crawdaddy79 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Crawdaddy79 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Crawdaddy79 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Crawdaddy79 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

Quote:
Originally Posted by KickAssCop View Post
When is it coming out?
In the year 3.
Crawdaddy79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 4, 2007, 12:32 PM   #107
Android1
Radeon Polaris 20 XL

Android1 knows why the caged bird singsAndroid1 knows why the caged bird singsAndroid1 knows why the caged bird singsAndroid1 knows why the caged bird singsAndroid1 knows why the caged bird sings

Quote:
When is it coming out?
I believe Epic is shooting for (no pun intended) the second half of 2007.

Last edited by Android1 : Feb 4, 2007 at 01:30 PM.
Android1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 4, 2007, 12:34 PM   #108
Deaderinred
Banned

Deaderinred once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Deaderinred once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Deaderinred once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Deaderinred once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Deaderinred once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Deaderinred once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Android1 View Post
I believe Epic is shooting for (no pun intended) the second half of 2008.
i hope you meant 2007 there..
Deaderinred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 4, 2007, 12:37 PM   #109
DaJMasta
Baffoonist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Android1 View Post
I believe Epic is shooting for (no pun intended) the second half of 2008.
I doubt it.... I hope they didn't rename it because it was being pushed back.

Old Feb 4, 2007, 01:10 PM   #110
Hamidxa
Banned

Hamidxa is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emmet Otter View Post
GameInformer: Mark Rein Interview http://www.gameinformer.com/News/Sto...507.htm?Page=1

Quote:
Rein:
We always aim Unreal for systems that people don’t have yet. (laughs) Whether its UT or any Unreal game, so I think the sweet spot has yet to show up. Again, it’s 64-bit and a ton of RAM, like an NVIDIA dual 8800s and Core 2 Extreme Quad processor—you could certainly build a super rig, but UT3 with everything turned up all the way is still going to struggle on that kind of thing. A year from now, it’ll still be a game that is a showcase game for whatever hardware you happen to be getting then. That’s normal. That’s exactly the way we’ve done it every time from the original
Im not surprised by this at all. For me, it took me nearly 2 years to get ut2k4 to play great in the system that I have now affordably. The same will go for this as well. I expect to be able to play this game at great framerates next year. Seriously
That's exactly what I was talking about earlier.
There is no way this game will not look better or play better on a PC (with the right hardware) vs a console.

Look at the recommended specs they are shooting for, for crying out loud.

Furthermore:
Quote:
GI: Will UT3 have DX10 right out of the box?

Rein: Absolutely. It’ll support DX10.

Last edited by Hamidxa : Feb 4, 2007 at 01:21 PM.
Hamidxa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 4, 2007, 01:13 PM   #111
Pirate Neilsouth

Pirate Neilsouth is not someone to be trifled withPirate Neilsouth is not someone to be trifled withPirate Neilsouth is not someone to be trifled withPirate Neilsouth is not someone to be trifled withPirate Neilsouth is not someone to be trifled withPirate Neilsouth is not someone to be trifled withPirate Neilsouth is not someone to be trifled with

Seriously who needs futuremark 3dmark crap when you can have UT benchmarks
Old Feb 4, 2007, 01:16 PM   #112
KAC
It might be gays!

KAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dial

So this thing can't run on core 2 duo and dual 8800s? wtf? Did I read something wrong? I think I will hold off that upgrade I was talking to pahncrd about.
Old Feb 4, 2007, 01:19 PM   #113
Pirate Neilsouth

Quote:
So this thing can't run on core 2 duo and dual 8800s? wtf? Did I read something wrong? I think I will hold off that upgrade I was talking to pahncrd about.
It didn't say that , it basically said if you want the best out of it then you will need better than a core 2 duo
Old Feb 4, 2007, 01:20 PM   #114
Hamidxa
Banned

Quote:

Will, he did emphasize:
but UT3 with everything turned up all the way is still going to struggle on that kind of thing

So, im thinking 16xAF, crazy amounts of AA, every graphical option such as lighting, shadows, textures, LOD, etc. maxed all the way out, and the res set to something such as 1900x1200 or so.
Old Feb 4, 2007, 01:22 PM   #115
KAC
It might be gays!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamidxa View Post
Will, he did emphasize:
but UT3 with everything turned up all the way is still going to struggle on that kind of thing

So, im thinking 16xAF, crazy amounts of AA, every graphical option such as lighting, shadows, textures, LOD, etc. maxed all the way out, and the res set to something such as 1900x1200 or so.
Or maybe they just meant 1024*768 w/ everything turned up and the game running slow as ****. That's how I remembered UT2003 on 9700 Pro.
Old Feb 4, 2007, 01:22 PM   #116
Dark_Swordmaster
Radeon Arctic Islands

**** textures, I want 50xAA! SUPERSAMPLED BITCH!
Old Feb 4, 2007, 01:23 PM   #117
Hamidxa
Banned

Quote:
Or maybe they just meant 1024*768 w/ everything turned up and the game running slow as ****. That's how I remembered UT2003 on 9700 Pro.
But just 1 year later, the X800XTPE made the game its bitch, same with UT2004.
1600x1200, AA, AF, everything maxed out.

I say upgrade your core system sometime soon anyways, and then upgrade your CPU/Video Card next year again, and sell the older ones.
Old Feb 4, 2007, 01:23 PM   #118
Alstrong
Radeon R600

Alstrong is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaJMasta View Post
I doubt it.... I hope they didn't rename it because it was being pushed back.
They say H2 2007, and keeping in mind that the PC version is their primary platform, I suspect the changed name also has to do with the console versions, which may or may not be a simultaneous release. i.e. in the event they are not simultaneously released, the console versions would have a strange name for a 2008 release. And if they changed the names of the console versions to 2008, people would get a false idea of what the console versions really are.
Alstrong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 4, 2007, 01:25 PM   #119
KAC
It might be gays!

1 year is enough to make me lose interest lol. Short attention span is my problem. Also I play UT games for SP or some LAN and usually in 1 year's time life has moved on to many other games for me to care. Oh well, atleast they helped me from purchasing an opteron and an 8800GTS, so I can only say praises in their name.
Old Feb 4, 2007, 01:27 PM   #120
twonha
Yods be silent!

twonha once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'twonha once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'twonha once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'twonha once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'twonha once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'twonha once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamidxa View Post
That's exactly what I was talking about earlier.
There is no way this game will not look better or play better on a PC (with the right hardware) vs a console.
And yet...:

What I like about PC games is I like high-resolution graphics, multiplayer and fast action, and damn if the new generation of consoles don’t allow us to do all three of those. If you’re into graphics, the Xbox can deliver just like the PC can, and multiplayer is so ubiquitous now that you’re able to get that same experience. If you’re about good games, there’s no contest between the two systems. They’re all giving you the same experience.

http://www.gameinformer.com/News/Sto...054.htm?Page=3

The difference in graphics is most likely negligable, and that's not even considering the price you'd have to pay. Also, DX10 support doesn't automatically mean it'll look better than it will on Xbox 360 or Playstation 3. But most of all, I wonder why you're talking of the consoles versions at all when it's clear Mark was talking about how the game runs on different PC configurations - he wasn't talking about differences between platform versions.

Don't particularly care much anymore that everyone's entitled to their own opinions, don't care you're crazy for PC hardware, but -rep for constant downtalking of consoles / PC vs console flamebait.