Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Gaming and Computing Forums » PC Gaming
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

PC Gaming Discuss all PC games, past and present. Talk about your favorite games, share tips and strategies, and anything else relating to computer games.

Old Apr 8, 2021, 07:49 AM   #961
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
demo
space cadet

demo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieseldemo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieseldemo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieseldemo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieseldemo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieseldemo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieseldemo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieseldemo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieseldemo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieseldemo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieseldemo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Diesel

Quote:
Originally Posted by andino View Post
It is a WHOLE lot better now than it was prior to the last patch. The stutters happened often before the patch.

You're not wrong, it's much better then before.
Old Apr 8, 2021, 09:54 AM   #962
Munkus
Hugged your dog lately?

Munkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of Reputation

I downloaded the game again, just to see what's improved/fixed. After the initial 150Gb download, it wanted to install another 150Gb update. Given my slow internet speeds and monthly data cap, I had to decline the update and uninstall the game.
Munkus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 8, 2021, 01:20 PM   #963
xCLAVEx
Will not conform

xCLAVEx once held a door open for a complete strangerxCLAVEx once held a door open for a complete strangerxCLAVEx once held a door open for a complete strangerxCLAVEx once held a door open for a complete stranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Munkus View Post
I downloaded the game again, just to see what's improved/fixed. After the initial 150Gb download, it wanted to install another 150Gb update. Given my slow internet speeds and monthly data cap, I had to decline the update and uninstall the game.
There's just some more eye candy added, but as far as bugs and functionality goes it's hit and miss. Each patch fixes some things but breaks previously fixed problems.

"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that."
~George Carlin
xCLAVEx is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Apr 15, 2021, 11:57 PM   #964
andino
Radeon Arctic Islands

andino can recite pi backwardsandino can recite pi backwardsandino can recite pi backwardsandino can recite pi backwardsandino can recite pi backwardsandino can recite pi backwardsandino can recite pi backwards

Nothing like wanting a quick FS2020 game, loading it up, and finding a 23.26G update that downloads at a snails pace on a gigabit line....

andino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 16, 2021, 02:45 AM   #965
Thr0tt
Radeon Arctic Islands

Thr0tt can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyThr0tt can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyThr0tt can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Initial patch followed by world update patch followed by update of content patch followed by another engine patch, yup seems the slickest way for a game to update.

Nb remove content from you community folder if you have mods or aircraft first too...
Old May 5, 2021, 04:16 PM   #966
SubCog
Radeon Arctic Islands

SubCog is not someone to be trifled withSubCog is not someone to be trifled withSubCog is not someone to be trifled withSubCog is not someone to be trifled withSubCog is not someone to be trifled withSubCog is not someone to be trifled withSubCog is not someone to be trifled with

Just started installing... Geez the min install is 167gb? This might take awhile...

Also, this is going to be brutal for my Radeon 580. Any other VR flight simulators that might be more suitable for my rig?

--edit: done downloading, and it only took 6 hours!

Ryzen 2600x - radeon 6700xt - 16 gigs memory

NES, SNES, N64, Gamecube, Wii, Wii U, Switch, Gameboy, Gameboy Pocket, Gameboy Color, Virtual Boy, 6 GBAs, DS, 3ds
Sega Master System, Genesis, 32x, Sega CD, Saturn, Dreamcast, Game Gear
PS1, PS2, PS3, PS4, PSP
og xbox, xbox360, xbone
Atari 2600, 7800
Neo Geo Pocket Color

riva tnt
tnt2
32 meg geforce2mx
kyro 2
radeon8500
radeon9600
radeon9800pro
radeon x800pro
geforce 8800gtx
radeon 6850
radeon 280
radeon 580
radeon 6700xt

Last edited by SubCog : May 5, 2021 at 10:24 PM.
SubCog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7, 2021, 08:05 AM   #967
GSGRUNT
No chops 🎸

GSGRUNT once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'GSGRUNT once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'GSGRUNT once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'GSGRUNT once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'GSGRUNT once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'GSGRUNT once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

Quote:
Originally Posted by SubCog View Post
Just started installing... Geez the min install is 167gb? This might take awhile...

Also, this is going to be brutal for my Radeon 580. Any other VR flight simulators that might be more suitable for my rig?

I tested VR with my 3080 a few days ago. It was awful.
Old May 7, 2021, 08:29 AM   #968
Lazy8s
One day at a time

Lazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dial

Quote:

You could look into X-Plane. It's been a while so I don't know how the quality is today, but it might fit the bill.

https://www.x-plane.com/
Lazy8s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7, 2021, 09:40 AM   #969
Sabadin
Radeon R520

Sabadin is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
Also, this is going to be brutal for my Radeon 580.
Having similar specs, if you want above 30fps anything above 1080p medium is questionable, also if you intend to do longer flights or fly around dense areas like LA,NYC,etc you're going to want to set a pagefile of at least 24GB or be prepared for CTDs due to low virtual memory.
Sabadin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7, 2021, 02:48 PM   #970
SubCog
Radeon Arctic Islands

SubCog is not someone to be trifled withSubCog is not someone to be trifled withSubCog is not someone to be trifled withSubCog is not someone to be trifled withSubCog is not someone to be trifled withSubCog is not someone to be trifled withSubCog is not someone to be trifled with

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSGRUNT View Post
I tested VR with my 3080 a few days ago. It was awful.
Just tried with VR, and the performance is quite terrible. I'm already running pretty low-res, any lower and I won't be able to read the instruments. Maybe I can try turning the detail settings way down to improve performance?

Still, the sense of 3d and perspective is really great. I can see that this has the potential to be amazing, with enough horse-power.

NES, SNES, N64, Gamecube, Wii, Wii U, Switch, Gameboy, Gameboy Pocket, Gameboy Color, Virtual Boy, 6 GBAs, DS, 3ds
PS1, PS2, PS3, PS4, PSP
og xbox, xbox360, xbone
Atari 2600, 7800
Neo Geo Pocket Color

riva tnt
tnt2
32 meg geforce2mx
kyro 2
radeon8500
radeon9600
radeon9800pro
radeon x800pro
geforce 8800gtx
radeon 6850
radeon 280
radeon 580
radeon 6700xt
Old May 7, 2021, 05:33 PM   #971
SubCog
Radeon Arctic Islands

Ok I got it to run perfectly smooth by turning down all graphics settings to "low" and running at the absolute lowest resolution. Seriously, I think it's 470x470. It's VERY blocky, but actually a surprisingly immersive experience. Only problem is you have to lean in really close to read any of the instruments.

Honestly I'm not sure why this game performs so poorly. I mean, I get it when everything is turned way up, but I'm turning everything down all the way before I get smooth VR performance... seems like a radeon 580 should be able to push a few more pixels than that.

PS1, PS2, PS3, PS4, PSP
og xbox, xbox360, xbone
Atari 2600, 7800
Neo Geo Pocket Color

riva tnt
tnt2
32 meg geforce2mx
kyro 2
radeon8500
radeon9600
radeon9800pro
radeon x800pro
geforce 8800gtx
radeon 6850
radeon 280
radeon 580
radeon 6700xt
Old May 7, 2021, 05:39 PM   #972
Nunz
RIP Roxen

Nunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dial

What's your CPU usage look like?
"If you can't handle me when I'm bulking, you don't deserve me when I'm cut." -- Marilyn Monbroe
Nunz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7, 2021, 05:52 PM   #973
SD-[Inc]
Radeon Arctic Islands

SD-[Inc] once held a door open for a complete strangerSD-[Inc] once held a door open for a complete strangerSD-[Inc] once held a door open for a complete strangerSD-[Inc] once held a door open for a complete stranger

Did you try render scaling greater than 100%.
SD-[Inc] is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7, 2021, 06:23 PM   #974
demo
space cadet

demo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieseldemo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieseldemo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieseldemo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieseldemo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieseldemo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieseldemo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieseldemo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieseldemo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieseldemo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieseldemo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Diesel

This sim is very CPU heavy. In VR I have it locked to 45fps at 90hz due to CPU performance.

On the GPU side of things am using mostly ultra settings, render res 80% at 2160x2160 per eye. Looks fantastic, and very smooth and immersive.
Old May 7, 2021, 07:11 PM   #975
SubCog
Radeon Arctic Islands

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nunz View Post
What's your CPU usage look like?
oK, I did a bunch of stuff. Checked performance through the
  • Windows Task Manager
  • In-game development tools
  • Oculus Debug Tool performance hud

Here's my findings:
  • CPU usage is great. I'm never going above 70% usage on any core. In=game dev metrics say I'm nearly always bottlenecked on the main game thread... doesn't make much sense to me, as I've got plenty of system resources available.
  • I can bump up resolution to 70% or so before I'm really GPU limited. Makes a big difference in graphics quality.
  • Seems to be some limitations on how fast my GPU can spit out pixels to Oculus Link though. I've had this problem before, and had to lower the "Encode Resolution Width" to fix it. I'm now lowering it again to 1600, and that seems to give me much more steady framerates.
  • MS Flight Simulator seems to only work at half-framerate though. It's limited to 36fps, and using TW/SW to fill in the gaps... which can be a bit ugly. But as long as it sticks to a steady 36fps, it's a pretty smooth experience.

In summary, I've got the game running smoothly now with much higher resolution than before. I'm moved from 480x480 to 784x784. I'd can ALMOST get it smooth at 940x940, but can't quite get there... I need a GPU upgrade.

PS1, PS2, PS3, PS4, PSP
og xbox, xbox360, xbone
Atari 2600, 7800
Neo Geo Pocket Color

riva tnt
tnt2
32 meg geforce2mx
kyro 2
radeon8500
radeon9600
radeon9800pro
radeon x800pro
geforce 8800gtx
radeon 6850
radeon 280
radeon 580
radeon 6700xt
Old May 8, 2021, 12:06 AM   #976
SubCog
Radeon Arctic Islands

Some more experimentation. I'm able to get MUCH smoother performance by turning off all the online functionality, like dynamic weather, photogrammetry, etc. I'm now running at 940x940 nearly perfectly smooth, and it makes a world of difference.

PS1, PS2, PS3, PS4, PSP
og xbox, xbox360, xbone
Atari 2600, 7800
Neo Geo Pocket Color

riva tnt
tnt2
32 meg geforce2mx
kyro 2
radeon8500
radeon9600
radeon9800pro
radeon x800pro
geforce 8800gtx
radeon 6850
radeon 280
radeon 580
radeon 6700xt
Old May 8, 2021, 11:51 PM   #977
Nunz
RIP Roxen

Nunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dial

Interesting. That would indicate CPU or maybe even RAM bound. Is the game installed on an SSD?
"If you can't handle me when I'm bulking, you don't deserve me when I'm cut." -- Marilyn Monbroe
Nunz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9, 2021, 12:32 AM   #978
SubCog
Radeon Arctic Islands

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nunz View Post
Interesting. That would indicate CPU or maybe even RAM bound. Is the game installed on an SSD?
It's installed on a fairly quick SSD.

I think when it's loading game assets from teh interwebz maybe there's some additional delays when it's accessing those.

PS1, PS2, PS3, PS4, PSP
og xbox, xbox360, xbone
Atari 2600, 7800
Neo Geo Pocket Color

riva tnt
tnt2
32 meg geforce2mx
kyro 2
radeon8500
radeon9600
radeon9800pro
radeon x800pro
geforce 8800gtx
radeon 6850
radeon 280
radeon 580
radeon 6700xt
Old May 9, 2021, 02:02 AM   #979
Thr0tt
Radeon Arctic Islands

Thr0tt can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyThr0tt can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyThr0tt can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Quote:
It's installed on a fairly quick SSD.

I think when it's loading game assets from teh interwebz maybe there's some additional delays when it's accessing those.
photogrammetry Is a killer especially London. You can precache an area which reduces lag and stutter up front, try thar.
Old May 10, 2021, 08:54 PM   #980
SubCog
Radeon Arctic Islands

Sounds like there's supposed to be some substantial performance optimizations coming to PC when they launch the xbox version this summer.

It's supposed to launch on Series X & S this summer, with plans to eventually support the older xbones too. They'll have to optimize the hell out of this to get it to run on an original xbone.

PS1, PS2, PS3, PS4, PSP
og xbox, xbox360, xbone
Atari 2600, 7800
Neo Geo Pocket Color

riva tnt
tnt2
32 meg geforce2mx
kyro 2
radeon8500
radeon9600
radeon9800pro
radeon x800pro
geforce 8800gtx
radeon 6850
radeon 280
radeon 580
radeon 6700xt
Old May 10, 2021, 09:53 PM   #981
demo
space cadet

They are adding DX12 support when xbox version launches which should alleviate a lot of the CPU bound performance by spreading the load over multiple cores better. I don't think the consoles could cope without it.
Old May 10, 2021, 10:10 PM   #982
SubCog
Radeon Arctic Islands

Quote:
Originally Posted by demo View Post
They are adding DX12 support when xbox version launches which should alleviate a lot of the CPU bound performance by spreading the load over multiple cores better. I don't think the consoles could cope without it.
It sounds like they're also re-architecting a bunch of engine stuff for better memory management, etc. They said it's both for optimizing for lower-end systems and also to allow them to push graphics harder on the high-end.

I get the impression that they are looking at FS2020 as a platform they intend to build off of for many years to come, and they expect it to change alot over the next several years.

PS1, PS2, PS3, PS4, PSP
og xbox, xbox360, xbone
Atari 2600, 7800
Neo Geo Pocket Color

riva tnt
tnt2
32 meg geforce2mx
kyro 2
radeon8500
radeon9600
radeon9800pro
radeon x800pro
geforce 8800gtx
radeon 6850
radeon 280
radeon 580
radeon 6700xt
Old May 10, 2021, 11:04 PM   #983
andino
Radeon Arctic Islands

andino can recite pi backwardsandino can recite pi backwardsandino can recite pi backwardsandino can recite pi backwardsandino can recite pi backwardsandino can recite pi backwardsandino can recite pi backwards

Kind of like Windows 10.
andino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11, 2021, 04:05 PM   #984
A2597
A Peculiar Person

A2597 knows why the caged bird singsA2597 knows why the caged bird singsA2597 knows why the caged bird singsA2597 knows why the caged bird singsA2597 knows why the caged bird singsA2597 knows why the caged bird sings

Quote:
It sounds like they're also re-architecting a bunch of engine stuff for better memory management, etc. They said it's both for optimizing for lower-end systems and also to allow them to push graphics harder on the high-end.

I get the impression that they are looking at FS2020 as a platform they intend to build off of for many years to come, and they expect it to change alot over the next several years.
They stated 10 years of support for FS2020

But you are a chosen generation, a royal priesthood, an holy nation, a peculiar people; that you should show forth the praises of him who hath called you out of darkness into his marvellous light.
1 Peter 2:9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vengeance View Post
:heart: I took a few weeks off, but Rage is like a home away from home.
A2597 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11, 2021, 04:52 PM   #985
xCLAVEx
Will not conform

xCLAVEx once held a door open for a complete strangerxCLAVEx once held a door open for a complete strangerxCLAVEx once held a door open for a complete strangerxCLAVEx once held a door open for a complete stranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by A2597 View Post
They stated 10 years of support for FS2020
They are going to need it, the game is still a buggy mess when using auto pilot (real auto pilot, not that stupid AI pilot junk).

"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that."
~George Carlin
Old May 23, 2021, 04:54 PM   #986
SubCog
Radeon Arctic Islands

So here's a trick that works for Rift S owners, but apparently still no luck on Quest:

You can go into Oculus Tray Tool and turn the Default ASW Mode to 18hz. Basically it locks your framerate to 18fps and lets ASW fill in several interpolated in-between frames. This apparently gives you very smooth gameplay.

So people are jacking the visual settings way up, as far as they can go and still stay above 18fps. I have a buddy who says he's been doing this on his rtx 3080, and he says it's amazing.

It's a juttery mess on Quest though. The framerate doesn't stay stable, it bounces back and forth between 2 values. As far as I've read so far, there's no solution yet.

PS1, PS2, PS3, PS4, PSP
og xbox, xbox360, xbone
Atari 2600, 7800
Neo Geo Pocket Color

riva tnt
tnt2
32 meg geforce2mx
kyro 2
radeon8500
radeon9600
radeon9800pro
radeon x800pro
geforce 8800gtx
radeon 6850
radeon 280
radeon 580
radeon 6700xt
Old May 26, 2021, 07:46 AM   #987
Thr0tt
Radeon Arctic Islands

Latest update enabled me to fly over London now with better performance, hurrah.
Old May 26, 2021, 09:24 AM   #988
SubCog
Radeon Arctic Islands

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thr0tt View Post
Latest update enabled me to fly over London now with better performance, hurrah.
We performed some optimization for the initial full download of the title so the base game is only 83GB instead of +170GB.

Wowzers, that's quite a large optimization. Glad they're making regular improvements! I'm looking forward to further performance improvements that are rumored to launch later this summer along with the xbox release.

PS1, PS2, PS3, PS4, PSP
og xbox, xbox360, xbone
Atari 2600, 7800
Neo Geo Pocket Color

riva tnt
tnt2
32 meg geforce2mx
kyro 2
radeon8500
radeon9600
radeon9800pro
radeon x800pro
geforce 8800gtx
radeon 6850
radeon 280
radeon 580
radeon 6700xt
Old May 26, 2021, 10:59 AM   #989
xCLAVEx
Will not conform

So...does that mean the overall size of the game is going to shrink or it's just the installer package optimized?

~George Carlin
Old May 26, 2021, 11:28 AM   #990
Thr0tt
Radeon Arctic Islands

Quote:
Originally Posted by xCLAVEx View Post
So...does that mean the overall size of the game is going to shrink or it's just the installer package optimized?
That would be nice so I can free up some SSD space but just quickly checking : 184 GB (197,613,565,169 bytes) so... I would assume just the initial installer then all the world updates.

Hey maybe I should do a Steam verify ? J/K !!! Dont do it !!