Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Gaming and Computing Forums » PC Gaming
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

PC Gaming Discuss all PC games, past and present. Talk about your favorite games, share tips and strategies, and anything else relating to computer games.

Old Nov 22, 2020, 12:01 PM   #61
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
SirBaron
Hallowed are the Ori

SirBaron exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselSirBaron exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselSirBaron exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselSirBaron exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselSirBaron exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselSirBaron exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselSirBaron exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselSirBaron exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselSirBaron exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselSirBaron exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselSirBaron exchanges holiday cards with Vin Diesel

Playing Beat Saber wireless in Virtual Desktop, as the Quest Version with BMBF for custom songs breaks too many things.

If I can play this wireless, I can play anything
Old Nov 27, 2020, 07:31 PM   #62
SubCog
Radeon Arctic Islands

SubCog is not someone to be trifled withSubCog is not someone to be trifled withSubCog is not someone to be trifled withSubCog is not someone to be trifled withSubCog is not someone to be trifled withSubCog is not someone to be trifled withSubCog is not someone to be trifled with

So it seems that my issue is that Oculus Link is setting an appropriate render resolution for games, while Virtual Desktop is not. Some games allow me to adjust it in-game, but others don't, and I'm not sure what is passing in the resolution values if I'm not playing over Link.

It looks like SteamVR allows me to set that... but I don't see any way to set resolution for Oculus games played over VD.

Ryzen 2600x - radeon 6700xt - 16 gigs memory

NES, SNES, N64, Gamecube, Wii, Wii U, Switch, Gameboy, Gameboy Pocket, Gameboy Color, Virtual Boy, 6 GBAs, DS, 3ds
Sega Master System, Genesis, 32x, Sega CD, Saturn, Dreamcast, Game Gear
PS1, PS2, PS3, PS4, PSP
og xbox, xbox360, xbone
Atari 2600, 7800
Neo Geo Pocket Color

riva tnt
tnt2
32 meg geforce2mx
kyro 2
radeon8500
radeon9600
radeon9800pro
radeon x800pro
geforce 8800gtx
radeon 6850
radeon 280
radeon 580
radeon 6700xt
SubCog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 2020, 07:36 PM   #63
Mangler
PC

Mangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single bound

Isn't the medium quality setting in VD the same as the 1.0 setting in link?

Last edited by Mangler : Nov 27, 2020 at 07:43 PM.
Mangler is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Nov 28, 2020, 12:00 AM   #64
SirBaron
Hallowed are the Ori

SirBaron exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselSirBaron exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselSirBaron exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselSirBaron exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselSirBaron exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselSirBaron exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselSirBaron exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselSirBaron exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselSirBaron exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselSirBaron exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselSirBaron exchanges holiday cards with Vin Diesel

Yeah low is below resolution, high is supersampling.

AMD has higher latency and and weaker encoder according to the developer of virtual desktop, that and virtual desktop takes away a bit of computing power away compared to Link due to how it works.
Old Nov 28, 2020, 01:38 AM   #65
Eisberg
Radeon Arctic Islands

Eisberg considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestEisberg considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestEisberg considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestEisberg considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestEisberg considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestEisberg considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestEisberg considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestEisberg considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestEisberg considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestEisberg considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestEisberg considers Jack Bauer an amateur at best

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirBaron View Post
Yeah low is below resolution, high is supersampling.

AMD has higher latency and and weaker encoder according to the developer of virtual desktop, that and virtual desktop takes away a bit of computing power away compared to Link due to how it works.
Yeah, with Asgard's Wrath on my RX 5700 XT, if I play through Oculus Link, I have the Resolution set to 1.2x with 90hz on Oculus Link settings, and I have the game graphic settings set to high, and it works great. But if I use Virtual Desktop, I need to go to Medium settings on Virtual Desktop and use Medium settings in the game.
The home is the first and most effective place to learn the lessons of life: truth, honor, virtue, self control, the value of education, honest work, and the purpose and privilege of life. Nothing can take the place of home in rearing and teaching children, and no other success can compensate for failure in the home.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Albert Einstein
Imagination is more important than knowledge. For knowledge is limited to all we now know and understand, while imagination embraces the entire world, and all there ever will be to know and understand.
Eisberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4, 2020, 09:05 PM   #66
Mangler
PC

Mangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single bound

Found a game where Link>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>VD, Serious Sam 3, feels like that game is doing everything it can to mess up a 90-150mbps video stream.
Old Dec 5, 2020, 08:28 AM   #67
SirBaron
Hallowed are the Ori

Medal of Honor is out soon, game looks great can’t wait to get it.
Old Dec 5, 2020, 08:54 AM   #68
Mangler
PC

The install size is no joke though, 160-170GB, maybe they should make that gallery an optional DLC if those VR videos are the reason behind that HUGE install size.
Old Dec 10, 2020, 11:51 PM   #69
Mangler
PC

People does not seem to be impressed by MOH.
Old Dec 11, 2020, 01:08 AM   #70
Eisberg
Radeon Arctic Islands

Eisberg considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestEisberg considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestEisberg considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestEisberg considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestEisberg considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestEisberg considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestEisberg considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestEisberg considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestEisberg considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestEisberg considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestEisberg considers Jack Bauer an amateur at best

So I did go with Virtual Desktop for wireless PCVR for a long while, and used the Oculus link for sit down games. But now I am back to using solely oculus link because the recent update for Virtual Desktop is broken and is now unplayable. Very frequent drops down to 1 FPS for several seconds at a time. I'm not the only one having this issue with the most recent update. Looks like it mostly effects AMD video cards, and nothing to do with drivers because I was using the same drivers on previous version of Virtual Desktop as I was with the new newest version of Virtual Desktop.
The home is the first and most effective place to learn the lessons of life: truth, honor, virtue, self control, the value of education, honest work, and the purpose and privilege of life. Nothing can take the place of home in rearing and teaching children, and no other success can compensate for failure in the home.
Quote:
Imagination is more important than knowledge. For knowledge is limited to all we now know and understand, while imagination embraces the entire world, and all there ever will be to know and understand.
Old Dec 11, 2020, 10:33 AM   #71
SirBaron
Hallowed are the Ori

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mangler View Post
Yeah buggy and lacking features found in games these days like smooth turning, etc etc

Also wasn't expecting a 60 price tag for the game, will wait for sale/patches.
Old Dec 11, 2020, 01:37 PM   #72
Jet Black
Radeon Volcanic Islands

Jet Black once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Jet Black once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Jet Black once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Jet Black once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Jet Black once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Jet Black once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirBaron View Post
Yeah buggy and lacking features found in games these days like smooth turning, etc etc

Also wasn't expecting a 60 price tag for the game, will wait for sale/patches.
Sounds like it also has some harsh fail-states and is generally not super fun.
Jet Black is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 11, 2020, 01:44 PM   #73
Mangler
PC

It it true that most of the game is broken up into short 2-3 minute segments?
Old Feb 25, 2021, 10:18 PM   #74
SubCog
Radeon Arctic Islands

SubCog is not someone to be trifled withSubCog is not someone to be trifled withSubCog is not someone to be trifled withSubCog is not someone to be trifled withSubCog is not someone to be trifled withSubCog is not someone to be trifled withSubCog is not someone to be trifled with

So a couple Oculus news items that are worth mentioning.

Virtual Desktop now supports streaming VR games from a PC over wifi, natively without having to download a patch through SideQuest.

Also worth noting that Virtual Desktop is WAAAAY better than it used to be, and more and more of us are able to get smooth gameplay through it (including me, at least on the games I've checked this week).

Some people are speculating that Oculus may be getting very close to releasing their own wireless Link functionality, and that is why they're suddenly allowing Virtual Desktop to offer this capability... maybe they had felt a bit inadequate having someone else get to it way before them?

Oculus has also released their new store, called the App Lab.
Apparently App Lab is meant to include beta or experimental games that may not meet the standard of quality for the normal store, pretty much a replacement for SideQuest, but will still allow devs to sell access.

So the story this week is that the Virtual Desktop developer submitted his app with the wireless VR streaming feature to the App Lab store, and Oculus came back and said he can just publish it in the regular Oculus store instead. So wireless VR streaming on Quest is now an official thing, rather than a hack.

NES, SNES, N64, Gamecube, Wii, Wii U, Switch, Gameboy, Gameboy Pocket, Gameboy Color, Virtual Boy, 6 GBAs, DS, 3ds
PS1, PS2, PS3, PS4, PSP
og xbox, xbox360, xbone
Atari 2600, 7800
Neo Geo Pocket Color

riva tnt
tnt2
32 meg geforce2mx
kyro 2
radeon8500
radeon9600
radeon9800pro
radeon x800pro
geforce 8800gtx
radeon 6850
radeon 280
radeon 580
radeon 6700xt
Old Feb 26, 2021, 07:46 AM   #75
Nascar24
EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 Ultra

Nascar24 can recite pi backwardsNascar24 can recite pi backwardsNascar24 can recite pi backwardsNascar24 can recite pi backwardsNascar24 can recite pi backwardsNascar24 can recite pi backwardsNascar24 can recite pi backwards

It’s about time, it’s what makes the Quest great!
Nascar24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 26, 2021, 01:42 PM   #76
Jet Black
Radeon Volcanic Islands

Jet Black once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Jet Black once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Jet Black once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Jet Black once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Jet Black once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Jet Black once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

Quote:
Originally Posted by SubCog View Post
So a couple Oculus news items that are worth mentioning.

Virtual Desktop now supports streaming VR games from a PC over wifi, natively without having to download a patch through SideQuest.

Also worth noting that Virtual Desktop is WAAAAY better than it used to be, and more and more of us are able to get smooth gameplay through it (including me, at least on the games I've checked this week).

Some people are speculating that Oculus may be getting very close to releasing their own wireless Link functionality, and that is why they're suddenly allowing Virtual Desktop to offer this capability... maybe they had felt a bit inadequate having someone else get to it way before them?

Oculus has also released their new store, called the App Lab.
Apparently App Lab is meant to include beta or experimental games that may not meet the standard of quality for the normal store, pretty much a replacement for SideQuest, but will still allow devs to sell access.

So the story this week is that the Virtual Desktop developer submitted his app with the wireless VR streaming feature to the App Lab store, and Oculus came back and said he can just publish it in the regular Oculus store instead. So wireless VR streaming on Quest is now an official thing, rather than a hack.
Wow, that's a huge shock! Glad they decided to give-in on that. Do you know if we have to uninstall/reinstall?
Jet Black is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 26, 2021, 01:54 PM   #77
SubCog
Radeon Arctic Islands

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jet Black View Post
Wow, that's a huge shock! Glad they decided to give-in on that. Do you know if we have to uninstall/reinstall?
Nope, no uninstall needed. Just upgrade the app from the general oculus store, and you'll be good to go.

PS1, PS2, PS3, PS4, PSP
og xbox, xbox360, xbone
Atari 2600, 7800
Neo Geo Pocket Color

riva tnt
tnt2
32 meg geforce2mx
kyro 2
radeon8500
radeon9600
radeon9800pro
radeon x800pro
geforce 8800gtx
radeon 6850
radeon 280
radeon 580
radeon 6700xt
Old Feb 27, 2021, 03:02 PM   #78
twonha
Yods be silent!

twonha once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'twonha once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'twonha once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'twonha once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'twonha once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'twonha once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

Damnit. I was comfortable in the knowledge that I could skip the Quest 2, because its wireless PCVR solution was too much of a hassle. Looks like I'm going to have to start saving up for one after all.
Old Feb 27, 2021, 04:39 PM   #79
Eisberg
Radeon Arctic Islands

Quote:
Originally Posted by twonha View Post
Damnit. I was comfortable in the knowledge that I could skip the Quest 2, because its wireless PCVR solution was too much of a hassle. Looks like I'm going to have to start saving up for one after all.

Quote:
Old Feb 27, 2021, 07:36 PM   #80
SubCog
Radeon Arctic Islands

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mangler View Post
Did that come out already? I guess I missed it.

PS1, PS2, PS3, PS4, PSP
og xbox, xbox360, xbone
Atari 2600, 7800
Neo Geo Pocket Color

riva tnt
tnt2
32 meg geforce2mx
kyro 2
radeon8500
radeon9600
radeon9800pro
radeon x800pro
geforce 8800gtx
radeon 6850
radeon 280
radeon 580
radeon 6700xt
Old Feb 27, 2021, 07:37 PM   #81
SubCog
Radeon Arctic Islands

Quote:
Originally Posted by twonha View Post
I expect there will be a new headset launching later this year. Lots of chatter about a "Quest 2 Pro". If it has a wider FOV and supports Wifi 6E, I'll prolly have to drop the cash for a new one as well.

PS1, PS2, PS3, PS4, PSP
og xbox, xbox360, xbone
Atari 2600, 7800
Neo Geo Pocket Color

riva tnt
tnt2
32 meg geforce2mx
kyro 2
radeon8500
radeon9600
radeon9800pro
radeon x800pro
geforce 8800gtx
radeon 6850
radeon 280
radeon 580
radeon 6700xt
Old Feb 28, 2021, 08:12 AM   #82
SirBaron
Hallowed are the Ori

if if has wider FOV and wifi 6e I'll be upgrading from the quest 2 on day 1.
Old Mar 6, 2021, 11:45 AM   #83
SubCog
Radeon Arctic Islands

Oculus just banned cloud gaming services, like the recently announced Pluto. Banned both from the oculus store and the app labs store.

Makes sense, I guess, as if Cloud gaming works well then it really starts to allow cloud gaming services to compete directly against the oculus store. I can see why they don't want that on their devices. Frankly this compromises the whole purpose of building the device at all.

Oculus really needs to get their cloud gaming service going.

PS1, PS2, PS3, PS4, PSP
og xbox, xbox360, xbone
Atari 2600, 7800
Neo Geo Pocket Color

riva tnt
tnt2
32 meg geforce2mx
kyro 2
radeon8500
radeon9600
radeon9800pro
radeon x800pro
geforce 8800gtx
radeon 6850
radeon 280
radeon 580
radeon 6700xt
Old Mar 6, 2021, 01:07 PM   #84
twonha
Yods be silent!

twonha once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'twonha once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'twonha once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'twonha once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'twonha once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'twonha once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

Cloud gaming as in streaming your games? I think the latency and quality for that isn't up to par yet on a regular PC. Can't imagine that working better on a VR headset. But, eh, it's bound to happen at some point.
Old Mar 6, 2021, 03:50 PM   #85
SirBaron
Hallowed are the Ori

Already does happen, Shadow streaming or whatever that company is called + Virtual Desktop. Certainly can't imagine latency being good on that though.
Old Mar 6, 2021, 05:17 PM   #86
SubCog
Radeon Arctic Islands

Lots of people are playing VR games over Shadow VR, and I've heard very good things about it. Apparently the latency isn't too bad... Pluto actually says that the quality of your local wifi has a larger impact on overall latency than your internet.

PS1, PS2, PS3, PS4, PSP
og xbox, xbox360, xbone
Atari 2600, 7800
Neo Geo Pocket Color

riva tnt
tnt2
32 meg geforce2mx
kyro 2
radeon8500
radeon9600
radeon9800pro
radeon x800pro
geforce 8800gtx
radeon 6850
radeon 280
radeon 580
radeon 6700xt
Old Apr 13, 2021, 10:15 PM   #87
SubCog
Radeon Arctic Islands

Oculus Air Link has been announced. Will be available in beta after the next release launches for both Quest and Desktop. Will see how it competes against Virtual Desktop in terms of performance.

Air link should have some advantages, especially being able to take advantage of time warp, etc.

Also announced is their Infinite Office productivity features, for using your mouse and keyboard etc.

And of course 120hz support, for any guyz who are interested in that kind of stuff.

https://www.oculus.com/blog/introduc...st-2-and-more/

PS1, PS2, PS3, PS4, PSP
og xbox, xbox360, xbone
Atari 2600, 7800
Neo Geo Pocket Color

riva tnt
tnt2
32 meg geforce2mx
kyro 2
radeon8500
radeon9600
radeon9800pro
radeon x800pro
geforce 8800gtx
radeon 6850
radeon 280
radeon 580
radeon 6700xt

Last edited by SirBaron : Apr 14, 2021 at 12:22 PM.
Old Apr 14, 2021, 12:59 AM   #88
Eisberg
Radeon Arctic Islands

Hopefully it comes soon. because the recent update to Oculus desktop app has literally broken Oculus link for me. When I plug in my headset with the link, the desktop app goes into a reboot loop until I disconnect the headset.
Quote:
Old Apr 14, 2021, 09:16 AM   #89
kboye
9700PRO RIP

kboye can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultykboye can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

So let's say every 50th frame would be sent off to Facebook....

Interesting to watch the John Carmack unfiltered Quest 2 talk where he mentions how many different systems/services are gradually affecting latency now. Got me thinking, being Facebook you gotta wonder how much they analyse and pipe home to the "mothership". Man is a huge inspiration. Also talks about choices in lenses, displays, heat/power management, different teams etc.

Isn't there already a " whack off" hand gesture filter in place now?
Old Apr 14, 2021, 12:23 PM   #90
SirBaron
Hallowed are the Ori

120hz is for native quest apps, if/when certain games will support it. 120hz link will be coming in a future update.