Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Gaming and Computing Forums » PC Gaming
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

PC Gaming Discuss all PC games, past and present. Talk about your favorite games, share tips and strategies, and anything else relating to computer games.

Old Feb 25, 2021, 01:11 PM   #1
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
Jet Black
Radeon Volcanic Islands

Jet Black once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Jet Black once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Jet Black once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Jet Black once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Jet Black once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Jet Black once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

Default Valheim: Real Deal or Flavour of the Week?

So everyone and their dog seems to be playing this thing and I'm tempted to try it, even though I sort of hate survival/building games. I'm also not sure I want to jump on board an Early Access game.

Anyone playing this thing?

The biggest draw for me are pundits saying it has a real World of Warcraft feel to it and they've sold 3M copies. Something must be good about it.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/892970/Valheim/
Jet Black is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 25, 2021, 01:30 PM   #2
eNforcer
Radeon Southern Islands

eNforcer once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'eNforcer once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'eNforcer once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'eNforcer once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'eNforcer once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'eNforcer once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

Me and my bro reached early access "end game", of course there's way more to come, but for what's there, it took us 120 hours. WoW comparisons? I don't see how, that's weird.

It's a survival crafting game, so you need to be into those to start. Progression is a lot like Terraria with gated bosses, feels great, but can feel slow if you get a challenging world generation as finding some materials could become grindy (I like this). Very challenging at the start, you won't be able to rush it. Building is good and forgiving, can get creative.
eNforcer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 25, 2021, 06:10 PM   #3
Trunks0
Keeping an open mind

Trunks0 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Trunks0 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Trunks0 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Trunks0 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Trunks0 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Trunks0 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

Subscriber

I've only just started playing it. But I would hardly call this WOW like. Hell if your playing on a server, the current cap is 10 people. So more like an Online RPG than an MMO.

System:
Gigabyte Z87X D3H - Intel i7 4770k @ 4.5Ghz - CoolerMaster Hyper 212 Black RGB - 16Gb Kingston HyperX Black DDR3-1600 - Asus DRW-24F1ST DVD±RW - Samsung 850 Evo 250Gib - 4TiB Seagate - Asus Radeon R9 Fury STRIX - Creative AE-5 Plus - Windows 10 64-bit
Trunks0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Feb 25, 2021, 06:14 PM   #4
Nunz
RIP Roxen

Nunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dial

Who the hell compared this to WoW? wtf
"If you can't handle me when I'm bulking, you don't deserve me when I'm cut." -- Marilyn Monbroe
Nunz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 25, 2021, 07:38 PM   #5
Eisberg
Radeon Arctic Islands

Eisberg considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestEisberg considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestEisberg considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestEisberg considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestEisberg considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestEisberg considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestEisberg considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestEisberg considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestEisberg considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestEisberg considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestEisberg considers Jack Bauer an amateur at best

From what I have been reading, if you don't like survival/building games, then this game will not change your mind. It doesn't do anything new, rather it's taken the good stuff from other survival/building games and put them into this game.

Personally I am staying away from it. I don't like survival/building games either, and I read that it can be an very grindy game for people who play solo which is what I would do, ad I don't like grindy games.
The home is the first and most effective place to learn the lessons of life: truth, honor, virtue, self control, the value of education, honest work, and the purpose and privilege of life. Nothing can take the place of home in rearing and teaching children, and no other success can compensate for failure in the home.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Albert Einstein
Imagination is more important than knowledge. For knowledge is limited to all we now know and understand, while imagination embraces the entire world, and all there ever will be to know and understand.
Eisberg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 25, 2021, 09:00 PM   #6
Jet Black
Radeon Volcanic Islands

Jet Black once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Jet Black once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Jet Black once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Jet Black once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Jet Black once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Jet Black once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

Seems okay so far. I think it would be pretty rough solo. I've jumped onto friend's servers and it's impressive what they can build. I'm still trying to progress a bit on my own, but it's nice to have a safe spot and all the crafting stations available to help jump-start some things.
Old Feb 26, 2021, 04:25 AM   #7
Silent-Runner
nulli secundus

Silent-Runner considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestSilent-Runner considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestSilent-Runner considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestSilent-Runner considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestSilent-Runner considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestSilent-Runner considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestSilent-Runner considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestSilent-Runner considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestSilent-Runner considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestSilent-Runner considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestSilent-Runner considers Jack Bauer an amateur at best

it's a fun little game with surprising well done graphic (sometimes, not always). To compare it to WoW is some funny s**t, like, really? It's a sandbox survival game. And yes, you can build some really impressive stuff and of course it's a lot more fun with other people around. Oh and it's dirt cheap, around 10 bucks at various sites on the net.

There is no real "story" to it other than a very very basic "storyline" but that's not the point of the game. It's very easy to get into and the building is actually fun.

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۞۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

"Humans need fantasy to be human. To be the place where the falling angel meets the rising ape" *Sir Terry Pratchett*

Silent-Runner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 26, 2021, 01:30 PM   #8
Jet Black
Radeon Volcanic Islands

The more I play, the more I feel this is a perfect fit for what I've called my "Pandemic Games". Games I can play with a podcast or music in the background and just do subconsciously. Trackmania and Snowrunner are also games I'm using for this task.
Old Mar 14, 2021, 02:04 PM   #9
SD-[Inc]
Radeon Arctic Islands

SD-[Inc] once held a door open for a complete strangerSD-[Inc] once held a door open for a complete strangerSD-[Inc] once held a door open for a complete strangerSD-[Inc] once held a door open for a complete stranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jet Black View Post
The more I play, the more I feel this is a perfect fit for what I've called my "Pandemic Games". Games I can play with a podcast or music in the background and just do subconsciously. Trackmania and Snowrunner are also games I'm using for this task.
I agree. I am into it a little late but really enjoying it. The graphics in the game are really interesting. The entire game was a 500MB (yes MB) download. Yet, the map is huge and the graphics look amazing well considering the low res texture usage. Maps are procedural generated and it impressive that you can terraform and build like crazy yet the game still performs well. Here is my first attempt at a base:

SD-[Inc] is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 14, 2021, 04:03 PM   #10
Jet Black
Radeon Volcanic Islands

Hey, nothing wrong with that base! It looks great!

My only problem with the game isn't a game-problem per se, but that I'm on a couple servers with friends and they play way more than me so they are climbing the tech tree much faster. I don't want to just skip a bunch of stuff so am trying to still crawl along on my own. May make a solo map just to grind resources and things that they are strip-mining off the map so I can't get to them
Old Mar 14, 2021, 06:00 PM   #11
Koenig
He wo hitte

Koenig once held a door open for a complete strangerKoenig once held a door open for a complete strangerKoenig once held a door open for a complete stranger

I've been playing this for a couple of weeks now too. Love it. Only thing I dont care for is the music. It's really repetitive so I put Skyrim soundtrack on in the background instead. Works nicely.

屁をひつて尻窄め "Breaking wind, closing buttocks" - Japanese Proverb

www.angelman.org
www.cureangelman.org
Koenig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 14, 2021, 07:20 PM   #12
SD-[Inc]
Radeon Arctic Islands

SD-[Inc] once held a door open for a complete strangerSD-[Inc] once held a door open for a complete strangerSD-[Inc] once held a door open for a complete strangerSD-[Inc] once held a door open for a complete stranger

Quote:

My only problem with the game isn't a game-problem per se, but that I'm on a couple servers with friends and they play way more than me so they are climbing the tech tree much faster. I don't want to just skip a bunch of stuff so am trying to still crawl along on my own. May make a solo map just to grind resources and things that they are strip-mining off the map so I can't get to them
That's what I did too. I am really impressed how few bugs there are in the early access version of the game.
Old Mar 14, 2021, 09:32 PM   #13
Jet Black
Radeon Volcanic Islands

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koenig View Post
I've been playing this for a couple of weeks now too. Love it. Only thing I dont care for is the music. It's really repetitive so I put Skyrim soundtrack on in the background instead. Works nicely.
Yep! I turned the music totally off and just play my own music in the background. Way better.
Old Mar 17, 2021, 06:55 PM   #14
twonha
Yods be silent!

twonha once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'twonha once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'twonha once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'twonha once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'twonha once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'twonha once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

Playing with two friends. It's my first survival game and I really like just putting up random tall buildings. So that's something. It's not sweeping me off my feet though, just something to pass the time together.
Old Mar 17, 2021, 08:15 PM   #15
SD-[Inc]
Radeon Arctic Islands

Quote:
Originally Posted by twonha View Post
Playing with two friends. It's my first survival game and I really like just putting up random tall buildings. So that's something. It's not sweeping me off my feet though, just something to pass the time together.
I was having a fun casual time too until I stepped into the swamp. DON'T GO INTO THE SWAMP!!!
Old Mar 19, 2021, 06:03 AM   #16
Silent-Runner
nulli secundus

Silent-Runner considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestSilent-Runner considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestSilent-Runner considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestSilent-Runner considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestSilent-Runner considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestSilent-Runner considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestSilent-Runner considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestSilent-Runner considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestSilent-Runner considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestSilent-Runner considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestSilent-Runner considers Jack Bauer an amateur at best

yeah, the swamp boss was a pita the first few tries. But he's doable with blunt weapons and poison resist .

"Humans need fantasy to be human. To be the place where the falling angel meets the rising ape" *Sir Terry Pratchett*

Old Mar 21, 2021, 05:55 PM   #17
twonha
Yods be silent!

twonha once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'twonha once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'twonha once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'twonha once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'twonha once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'twonha once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

So, my friend and I wanted to go get some copper ore for our base. He knew where to find some. So we went ahead and took some food, our usual weaponry and some pickaxes, and we brought a cart along because copper is very heavy.

On site, Friend decides to place a fire and crafting bench. I put a little house around it with a roof, so we can use it to repair our pickaxes. A few enemies stroll along, but unfortunately, some of them are stronger than we're comfortable with. The wolves especially were lethal.

So we build a wall around the copper ore veins. The walls get a door and a gate; the gate gets a roof of its own; the roof also makes a good vantage point to fire arrows at the shaman monsters. Safe inside our mine, we start digging and before we know it, we're several feet below ground level.

When all's said and done, we pack up the cart and trek back to the home base.

This is my first survival game, so it might just be because I'm new to the genre, but I really, really love this emergent gameplay. At no point in time did the game stop us to say, "YOU NEED A BENCH", or "YOU NEED A GATE", or "YOU NEED TO BUILD A MINE". All of those things just happened naturally, because the game world encourages it. We could've gone with a party of five and just fight off any enemies; we could've taken several short trips. But we chose to make a long trip, and ended up literally building a mine.

Cool!
Old Mar 31, 2021, 02:10 AM   #18
SD-[Inc]
Radeon Arctic Islands

Quote:

My base has grown a lot since that last shot. It's more like a village now:

Old Mar 31, 2021, 07:26 AM   #19
twonha
Yods be silent!

That's a good looking homestead!

My friends and I are still hooked. Our latest unlocks are iron and stone, so now we're building huge castle walls, excavating moats around them, and trying to build ridiculously tall towers.

To get to specific resources quicker, we wanted to make it possible for our boat to get to the ocean, from the lake at the starting point. But a lake is of course a lake, so how do you get to the ocean from there? Well, easy: you take three guys with pickaxes, and you dig a mother flipping canal (channel?) from the lake to the ocean!

I don't think I've ever played a game that is cool, relaxing, ánd allows me to mold a world to our liking by going out on self-made adventures. I know Minecraft, Rust and 7 Ways to Die have similar mechanics, but still Valheim feels like something different.

WE DUG A CANAL.
Old Mar 31, 2021, 01:38 PM   #20
Jet Black
Radeon Volcanic Islands

I really need to get back into this. Most of my gaming has been grinding the Apex Legends season pass. Also seeing friends talk about how they were at tech trees higher than me sort of discouraged me, but I think I'll load up a solo map and work on my stuff a bit in private to play in a chill way again.
Old Mar 31, 2021, 06:58 PM   #21
SD-[Inc]
Radeon Arctic Islands

I have been playing a lot and still only have taken down two bosses. It didn’t help that the third boss spawned on the other side of the world on my map. So had to do a ton of sailing to get there. Plus the further you get from the center the higher the population of nasty biomes. Not ready to set foot yet in some of those. It’s been fun building our town. I’ll post a few shots of some of the stuff we did inside some of the structures later tonight. It’s not as elaborate as some of the amazing stuff on-line. But we are proud of it
Old Mar 31, 2021, 07:00 PM   #22
SD-[Inc]
Radeon Arctic Islands

Quote:
That's a good looking homestead!

My friends and I are still hooked. Our latest unlocks are iron and stone, so now we're building huge castle walls, excavating moats around them, and trying to build ridiculously tall towers.

To get to specific resources quicker, we wanted to make it possible for our boat to get to the ocean, from the lake at the starting point. But a lake is of course a lake, so how do you get to the ocean from there? Well, easy: you take three guys with pickaxes, and you dig a mother flipping canal (channel?) from the lake to the ocean!

I don't think I've ever played a game that is cool, relaxing, ánd allows me to mold a world to our liking by going out on self-made adventures. I know Minecraft, Rust and 7 Ways to Die have similar mechanics, but still Valheim feels like something different.

WE DUG A CANAL.
Digging a canal must have been a ton of pickaxing. We built on the ocean so didn’t have that problem. Post a pic!
Old Mar 31, 2021, 07:36 PM   #23
SD-[Inc]
Radeon Arctic Islands

Here are some shots inside our town:

The Factory:

The Potion Bar:

The Bank:

The Docks:

The Main House and Moat:
Old Apr 1, 2021, 08:37 AM   #24
Jet Black
Radeon Volcanic Islands

Wow that's amazing! Makes my shitty two-story look like a shed in comparison.
Old Apr 1, 2021, 09:12 AM   #25
Silent-Runner
nulli secundus

that's kinda epic, SD-[Inc]

Old Apr 1, 2021, 03:18 PM   #26
SD-[Inc]
Radeon Arctic Islands

I can’t take credit. My son and his friends are the real creative geniuses. I was usually just the hired labor.
Old Apr 2, 2021, 08:30 PM   #27
twonha
Yods be silent!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD-[Inc] View Post
Digging a canal must have been a ton of pickaxing. We built on the ocean so didn’t have that problem. Post a pic!

The Harbor

Starting point at the lake, with the Suez canal going from the great lake to the ocean.

Canal Part 1

Canal Part 2

Sign posts to indicate the entries to the canals

Earlier today, I went sailing and exploring on my own. Found a river, decided to sail it. As I turn a corner in the river, I suddenly find myself trapped between two snowy mountains and a snowstorm, as the dreaded "YOU ARE FREEZING" message pops up. Of course, I hadn't been eating on the boat, so I blow through my 25 hit points within seconds. I had gotten out of the boat and onto land, and die on the spot.

That was miles and miles and miles away from the nearest... Anything, really. And in my travels I'd taken a little detour into a burial chamber, so I was carrying all sorts of valuables with me. Spent a whole evening session getting back there, building a cabin in case of emergency, getting my stuff ánd the boat out of the freezing river... It's frustrating when that happens, but it's really cool that the more frustrating the death, the bigger the adventure getting your stuff back is going to be.
Old Apr 3, 2021, 12:44 PM   #28
SD-[Inc]
Radeon Arctic Islands

Awesome Canal! You did all that with the antler pickaxe? You have to be really careful when entering new Biomes. The first time I climbed the mountain I was walking so I could turn around and bail out in time. Didn’t matter because a wolf was on my ass and bit my low armor self in the ass and one shotted me. Swamps can poison the heck out of you and mountains freeze you quickly. If you find some plains don’t get fooled by their peaceful look. There is some real nastiness there! You can make potions to counter poison and cold. So hopefully you have a Cauldron and Fermenter going.
Old Apr 3, 2021, 03:30 PM   #29
twonha
Yods be silent!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD-[Inc] View Post
Awesome Canal! You did all that with the antler pickaxe?
Yes. Well, most of it was me, but two friends helped. We just moved our base this morning, which - of course - has led me to create a new canal. On my way to try it out, it turned out to be a new adventure:

Taking the boat from our old main base to the new main base would be probably a half hour trip, across all sorts of islands and biomes. I'd stick to the ocean, because the boat and I were loaded with refined and unrefined ores. But along the way, I find a small little island, that looked different from regular land.

I stop the boat, swim to shore and find new resources: chitin stuff! That looked interesting, so I whip out the pickaxe and get to work. That's how I found out that this "island" is actually alive, doesn't appreciate me hacking at its skin, and starts sinking into the ocean.

So, there I am, without stamina (because pickaxe work), in the middle of the ocean, with the boat two dozen meters away. Are there worse ways to die? Because I think this one trumps even the freezing river.

(Luckily, it was close enough to land that I rafted my way back to my ocean death bed. Another half hour well spent!)
Old Apr 3, 2021, 05:23 PM   #30
SD-[Inc]
Radeon Arctic Islands

Quote:
Yes. Well, most of it was me, but two friends helped. We just moved our base this morning, which - of course - has led me to create a new canal. On my way to try it out, it turned out to be a new adventure:

Taking the boat from our old main base to the new main base would be probably a half hour trip, across all sorts of islands and biomes. I'd stick to the ocean, because the boat and I were loaded with refined and unrefined ores. But along the way, I find a small little island, that looked different from regular land.

I stop the boat, swim to shore and find new resources: chitin stuff! That looked interesting, so I whip out the pickaxe and get to work. That's how I found out that this "island" is actually alive, doesn't appreciate me hacking at its skin, and starts sinking into the ocean.

So, there I am, without stamina (because pickaxe work), in the middle of the ocean, with the boat two dozen meters away. Are there worse ways to die? Because I think this one trumps even the freezing river.

(Luckily, it was close enough to land that I rafted my way back to my ocean death bed. Another half hour well spent!)
Lol. The game is good at finding inventive ways to kill you.