Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Gaming and Computing Forums » PC Gaming
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

PC Gaming Discuss all PC games, past and present. Talk about your favorite games, share tips and strategies, and anything else relating to computer games.

Old Apr 19, 2021, 04:12 PM   #61
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
theshadowcult
Radeon Arctic Islands

theshadowcult doesn't need no stinkin' badgestheshadowcult doesn't need no stinkin' badgestheshadowcult doesn't need no stinkin' badgestheshadowcult doesn't need no stinkin' badgestheshadowcult doesn't need no stinkin' badgestheshadowcult doesn't need no stinkin' badgestheshadowcult doesn't need no stinkin' badgestheshadowcult doesn't need no stinkin' badges

The decamove thing seems sweet.
Old Apr 19, 2021, 05:03 PM   #62
Trunks0
Keeping an open mind

Trunks0 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Trunks0 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Trunks0 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Trunks0 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Trunks0 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Trunks0 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

Subscriber

Yea it looks a very nice addition and apparently works with just everything (including Quest1/2)

System:
Gigabyte Z87X D3H - Intel i7 4770k @ 4.5Ghz - CoolerMaster Hyper 212 Black RGB - 16Gb Kingston HyperX Black DDR3-1600 - Asus DRW-24F1ST DVD±RW - Samsung 850 Evo 250Gib - 4TiB Seagate - Asus Radeon R9 Fury STRIX - Creative AE-5 Plus - Windows 10 64-bit
Trunks0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 23, 2021, 01:05 PM   #63
azalea
Radeon R420

azalea once held a door open for a complete strangerazalea once held a door open for a complete strangerazalea once held a door open for a complete strangerazalea once held a door open for a complete stranger

I won some CSGO skins out of nowhere recently, and given you lose huge value trying to cash them out, I was thinking of selling them on the Steam Community Market, and using the funds to buy a Valve Index instead.

Any Index owners, was it a worthwhile buy? Given that I'm happy to sit, wireless isn't a big concern for me (Quest 2), and I loved PSVR, but that was low res and low refresh.

Or is it not worth the $1k asking price?
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Apr 23, 2021, 03:28 PM   #64
John C Flett
Veteran of Psychic Wars

John C Flett once held a door open for a complete strangerJohn C Flett once held a door open for a complete strangerJohn C Flett once held a door open for a complete strangerJohn C Flett once held a door open for a complete stranger

I started with a Vive and upgraded my headset to an Index so I can't comment on the knuckles but I think the headset is well worth it.

A lot was made of the improved FOV but I didn't really notice that. The image clarity was a big step though. My main game is DCS World and I was flying the Huey at the time. With the Vive I found the displays mostly unreadable. With the Index they're fine. Still less than at 4K but sufficient that I have no gameplay problems. Image quality also improved in that god-rays and the screen door effect also dropped off greatly.

Comfort is also far improved, its easier to wear and the inbuilt earphones are good quality and a lot less of a nuisance than seperates.

The key question is going to be how many hours will you put into it though. I've passed 1000hrs and will keep at it for a long time, mainly on sims and racing titles so in an hours per pound it's been worth it.

John C Flett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 24, 2021, 10:06 AM   #65
azalea
Radeon R420

azalea once held a door open for a complete strangerazalea once held a door open for a complete strangerazalea once held a door open for a complete strangerazalea once held a door open for a complete stranger

I did it. Sold those intangible funking skins and ordered the index Had a few hundred left over to rebuy a lesser knife for csgo, RE village.
Old Apr 24, 2021, 10:22 AM   #66
John C Flett
Veteran of Psychic Wars

John C Flett once held a door open for a complete strangerJohn C Flett once held a door open for a complete strangerJohn C Flett once held a door open for a complete strangerJohn C Flett once held a door open for a complete stranger

I look forward to hearing how you get on with it.

Old Apr 27, 2021, 04:36 PM   #67
JohnnyFlash
Radeon R600

JohnnyFlash is still being judged by the masses

How is the Index if you just want to control with keyboard and mouse? I'm on the fence as well.
Old Apr 27, 2021, 04:47 PM   #68
twonha
Yods be silent!

twonha once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'twonha once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'twonha once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'twonha once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'twonha once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'twonha once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyFlash View Post
How is the Index if you just want to control with keyboard and mouse? I'm on the fence as well.
I think you'd be limiting yourself severely, because a lot of VR games can't be played with MKB.
Old Apr 27, 2021, 05:47 PM   #69
JohnnyFlash
Radeon R600

JohnnyFlash is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
Originally Posted by twonha View Post
I think you'd be limiting yourself severely, because a lot of VR games can't be played with MKB.
Possibly, but I'm more interested in FPS games, especially older ones. Also, big fan of not standing.

Last edited by JohnnyFlash : Apr 29, 2021 at 10:48 AM.
JohnnyFlash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 28, 2021, 02:36 PM   #70
SubCog
Radeon Arctic Islands

SubCog is not someone to be trifled withSubCog is not someone to be trifled withSubCog is not someone to be trifled withSubCog is not someone to be trifled withSubCog is not someone to be trifled withSubCog is not someone to be trifled withSubCog is not someone to be trifled with

DecaMove released their app today, so you can run it on your phone. Looks sweet.

Ryzen 2600x - radeon 6700xt - 16 gigs memory

NES, SNES, N64, Gamecube, Wii, Wii U, Switch, Gameboy, Gameboy Pocket, Gameboy Color, Virtual Boy, 6 GBAs, DS, 3ds
Sega Master System, Genesis, 32x, Sega CD, Saturn, Dreamcast, Game Gear
PS1, PS2, PS3, PS4, PSP
og xbox, xbox360, xbone
Atari 2600, 7800
Neo Geo Pocket Color

riva tnt
tnt2
32 meg geforce2mx
kyro 2
radeon8500
radeon9600
radeon9800pro
radeon x800pro
geforce 8800gtx
radeon 6850
radeon 280
radeon 580
radeon 6700xt
SubCog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1, 2021, 03:08 PM   #71
John C Flett
Veteran of Psychic Wars

I've just had the latest Steam hardware survey and its showing VR ownership up 1.34% to 24.25%.

That, of course, is of people who took the survey so might not entirely reflect the full user base but it still seems pretty impressive to me. What might be more intersting is to know how that breaks down across user type.

It's fair to assume your COD and LOL players probably have very little interest but how far has VR penetrated into the Flight/Racing sim market?

Old May 1, 2021, 03:29 PM   #72
Mangler
PC

Mangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single bound

Isn't it 2.3%?

24.25% of the Steam VR users has a Quest 2.
Mangler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1, 2021, 03:50 PM   #73
John C Flett
Veteran of Psychic Wars

Yeah, your totally right. I read it as 24.25% users (seemed surprising) with Quest as most popular.

I see now that their was an expanded tab. Okay, colour me dumb! What can I say, it's late.

Old May 1, 2021, 05:28 PM   #74
Nagorak
Incarnation of the Nether

Nagorak can recite pi backwardsNagorak can recite pi backwardsNagorak can recite pi backwardsNagorak can recite pi backwardsNagorak can recite pi backwardsNagorak can recite pi backwardsNagorak can recite pi backwards

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyFlash View Post
Possibly, but I'm more interested in FPS games, especially older ones. Also, big fan of not standing.
The experience playing older games won't be good. Motion sickness is a big problem. You move ridiculously fast in FPS games and the disconnect between your eyes seeing motion and your ears not feeling it throws your body for a loop. Even if you don't get sick, the interface and hud, etc can be weird for VR (FOV too narrow or too wide). Basically getting flat screen games to work in VR is a hack that requires a third party program to get it to work, and it's all pretty wonky. Originally I was also interested in playing older games in VR, but the poor experience caused me to quickly get over that desire.

The other thing is while you say you don't want to stand now, you'll find that once you have a VR headset that standing and interacting with motion controls is a lot more immersive and intuitive. There's a reason that Oculus's original concept of sitting with a game controller died a very quick death. If you can see something in front of you (which is what it feels like in VR), the natural thing is to reach out and grab it, not push a button on a controller. There are a few seated games designed for VR, and they may even be good, but for the most part that isn't the best experience. Obviously racing or flight simulations are an exception.

With all that being said, my personal recommendation for a HMD is currently the HP Reverb G2. It takes a lot to run it, and the WMR hand tracking still isn't quite as good as lighthouse, but the higher resolution is really a major improvement for the experience. In fact, my advice is to never even use a HP Reverb unless you intend to buy one, because going back to lesser resolution is really tough. Also, if you do end up playing seated, the hand tracking obviously doesn't matter, so you just get the best resolution.
Nagorak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7, 2021, 07:52 AM   #75
azalea
Radeon R420

Quote:
Originally Posted by John C Flett View Post
I look forward to hearing how you get on with it.
I was totally blown away. HL Alyx is amazing, and even in the first area, grabbing bottles and throwing them over the balcony seemed like the most novel and entertaining thing ever.

That, and also Walking Dead Saints and Sinners - shoving a blade through the tutorial zombies' heads was totally new, and shooting numerous tutorial end people was darkly hilarious.

And, Superhot VR - never has such a limited color environment been so immersive. I was there ingame.

Just wow.

Bit spoiled for games right now, though, because I also have RE Village and Metro Exodus Enhanced to binge when I'm not CSGOing for hours on end. Horrible problems in life.
Old May 7, 2021, 12:20 PM   #76
John C Flett
Veteran of Psychic Wars

Delighted to hear it. I wish you many more immersive hours in VR.

Old May 7, 2021, 01:14 PM   #77
Trunks0
Keeping an open mind

Trunks0 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Trunks0 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Trunks0 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Trunks0 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Trunks0 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Trunks0 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by John C Flett View Post
Yeah, your totally right. I read it as 24.25% users (seemed surprising) with Quest as most popular.

I see now that their was an expanded tab. Okay, colour me dumb! What can I say, it's late.
Take those numbers with a grain of salt however. Despite having SteamVR installed and setup, have VR games installed in steam AND have all the software for Oculus installed. It didn't detect me as having a VR headset when I did the survey because my Oculus Quest was not physically connected when I took the survey :\

System:
Gigabyte Z87X D3H - Intel i7 4770k @ 4.5Ghz - CoolerMaster Hyper 212 Black RGB - 16Gb Kingston HyperX Black DDR3-1600 - Asus DRW-24F1ST DVD±RW - Samsung 850 Evo 250Gib - 4TiB Seagate - Asus Radeon R9 Fury STRIX - Creative AE-5 Plus - Windows 10 64-bit
Trunks0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7, 2021, 01:20 PM   #78
John C Flett
Veteran of Psychic Wars

I do take them with a pinch of salt but since I proved incapabale of reading them anyway it probably didn't matter much.

Old May 9, 2021, 08:07 PM   #79
Nascar24
EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 Ultra

Nascar24 can recite pi backwardsNascar24 can recite pi backwardsNascar24 can recite pi backwardsNascar24 can recite pi backwardsNascar24 can recite pi backwardsNascar24 can recite pi backwardsNascar24 can recite pi backwards

Picked up the $299 Quest 2 today. Already have the Quest so wasn't really planning on it but figured the price wasn't that high so I picked it up, Its a nice upgrade all around, Definitely notice a difference in the stand alone games. Clearer/smoother and added graphics. Do notice the blacks to a point as not OLED but other then that its a nice upgrade from the original for the price and all the new features since release. My old one was already tied to my facebook account so really didn't care on that part.
Nascar24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 18, 2021, 03:15 PM   #80
andino
Radeon Arctic Islands

andino can recite pi backwardsandino can recite pi backwardsandino can recite pi backwardsandino can recite pi backwardsandino can recite pi backwardsandino can recite pi backwardsandino can recite pi backwards

I'd like to give a VERY positive review for Demeo. The only downside is that they only have one quest for now. It's three levels. More quests are apparently coming though!

Freaking love this game! I've set up VR in the kiddos room and we have played this for hours on end.

andino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 07:29 PM   #81
Eisberg
Radeon Arctic Islands

Eisberg considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestEisberg considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestEisberg considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestEisberg considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestEisberg considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestEisberg considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestEisberg considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestEisberg considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestEisberg considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestEisberg considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestEisberg considers Jack Bauer an amateur at best

Quote:
Originally Posted by andino View Post
I'd like to give a VERY positive review for Demeo. The only downside is that they only have one quest for now. It's three levels. More quests are apparently coming though!

Freaking love this game! I've set up VR in the kiddos room and we have played this for hours on end.
The new set, "Realm of the Rat King" is coming out on June 28th.
The home is the first and most effective place to learn the lessons of life: truth, honor, virtue, self control, the value of education, honest work, and the purpose and privilege of life. Nothing can take the place of home in rearing and teaching children, and no other success can compensate for failure in the home.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Albert Einstein
Imagination is more important than knowledge. For knowledge is limited to all we now know and understand, while imagination embraces the entire world, and all there ever will be to know and understand.
Eisberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 08:07 PM   #82
Evileh
Keep your pimp hip strong

Evileh knows why the caged bird singsEvileh knows why the caged bird singsEvileh knows why the caged bird singsEvileh knows why the caged bird singsEvileh knows why the caged bird singsEvileh knows why the caged bird sings

I hope none of you get suckered into the Earth2 bs going on right now.

Sittal on BF2142 "wtf. seriously. this has got to be the worst game i have EVER played. far worse than left behind."
Evileh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 09:00 PM   #83
andino
Radeon Arctic Islands

andino can recite pi backwardsandino can recite pi backwardsandino can recite pi backwardsandino can recite pi backwardsandino can recite pi backwardsandino can recite pi backwardsandino can recite pi backwards

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evileh View Post
I hope none of you get suckered into the Earth2 bs going on right now.
That's got scam written all over it. LOL
andino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 09:30 PM   #84
Evileh
Keep your pimp hip strong

Evileh knows why the caged bird singsEvileh knows why the caged bird singsEvileh knows why the caged bird singsEvileh knows why the caged bird singsEvileh knows why the caged bird singsEvileh knows why the caged bird sings

Quote:
Originally Posted by andino View Post
That's got scam written all over it. LOL
I've been watching bigfry and his peeps cover it. It's so entertaining lololol.

The idea is awesome but feasibly not realistic. That's not what I have a problem with. Why in the living eff would you need to sell land and make a cypto currency meta out of it if it's just supposed to be a game. Classic pyramid scheme lol.

Sittal on BF2142 "wtf. seriously. this has got to be the worst game i have EVER played. far worse than left behind."
Evileh is offline   Reply With Quote