Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Gaming and Computing Forums » Operating Systems
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Operating Systems Discussion topics on operating systems including all iterations of Windows, Linux, MacOS, BeOS, etc.

Old Apr 28, 2021, 10:42 AM   #1
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
mizzer
Believing is Seeing

mizzer can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultymizzer can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultymizzer can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Subscriber
Default Windows 10 Key Activation

So I purchased a Windows 10 key from an eBay seller. I've done this often with no issues. I tend to stay away from the bargain basement "grey market" sellers and only deal with someone who seems legit.

I received the key and a message showing a step-by-step for activation:

"Please simply copy and paste in command prompt as administrator."

slmgr.vbs -upk
slmgr /ipk XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX (this is where the key was written)
slmgr /skms kms.digiboy.ir
slmgr /ato

I thought "Forget that. I'll just copy and paste the code into Windows Activation." No dice. I received the following error message:

"We can't activate Windows on this device because we can't connect to your organization's server. Make sure that you're connected to your organization's network and try again."

So here's my questions: is there a risk if I run the code as suggested? Like, will my machine be tied to an activation server?
mizzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 28, 2021, 10:51 AM   #2
xCLAVEx
Will not conform

xCLAVEx once held a door open for a complete strangerxCLAVEx once held a door open for a complete strangerxCLAVEx once held a door open for a complete strangerxCLAVEx once held a door open for a complete stranger

Only one way to find out...

"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that."
~George Carlin
xCLAVEx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 28, 2021, 10:53 AM   #3
mizzer
Believing is Seeing

mizzer can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultymizzer can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultymizzer can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by xCLAVEx View Post
Only one way to find out...
Nope. I should have added I already backed out and found a key elsewhere. I'm mostly just curious at this point.
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Apr 28, 2021, 10:58 AM   #4
Meteor_of_War
USA-holes

Meteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppers

Just a guess here but it seems like that product key might be for an Enterprise license of Windows, and your system needs to be connected to the company's network that holds the license in order to activate.
Meteor_of_War is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 28, 2021, 11:07 AM   #5
KAC
It might be gays!

KAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dial

You want keys buy from a grey website not ebay. Rookie mistake.
KAC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 28, 2021, 11:10 AM   #6
mizzer
Believing is Seeing

Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by KAC View Post
You want keys buy from a grey website not ebay. Rookie mistake.
Bah, been doing it for many years without a hiccup.
Kinda like your mom.... has been making cookies to give to neighbors.
Old Apr 28, 2021, 12:05 PM   #7
acroig
Troll SMod

acroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand suns

Quote:
Originally Posted by mizzer View Post
Bah, been doing it for many years without a hiccup.
Kinda like your mom.... has been making cookies to give to neighbors.
No mom jokes please.

yoz
acroig is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 28, 2021, 12:16 PM   #8
mizzer
Believing is Seeing

Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by acroig View Post
No mom jokes please.
It was a joke about no more mom jokes.

Interesting find re: key activation.

I got my key from here: https://www.keysoff.com/windows-10-p...html?kso=sks04

WCCFTECH.com recommended the site.
Old Apr 28, 2021, 11:07 AM   #9
mizzer
Believing is Seeing

Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meteor_of_War View Post
Just a guess here but it seems like that product key might be for an Enterprise license of Windows, and your system needs to be connected to the company's network that holds the license in order to activate.
That's the conclusion I came to as well.

So if I had run the script, would it have opened a "back door" the seller could exploit?
Old Apr 28, 2021, 11:14 AM   #10
Meteor_of_War
USA-holes

Meteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppers

Quote:

So if I had run the script, would it have opened a "back door" the seller could exploit?
I have no clue. But I certainly would not be comfortable activating Windows in some unknown way like that. I'd only want to be doing it on the normal Windows Activation screen like you said.

Personally all my PC builds for the last decade have been Enterprise keys issued to me from my work, and I've always activated them the normal way. I sometimes see those deals on tech websites for super cheap keys, usually less than $15. Always was curious if those would work just fine, but never had the opportunity to try them.
Old Apr 28, 2021, 11:21 AM   #11
Elysian
SCAATSJW

Elysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meteor_of_War View Post
I have no clue. But I certainly would not be comfortable activating Windows in some unknown way like that. I'd only want to be doing it on the normal Windows Activation screen like you said.

Personally all my PC builds for the last decade have been Enterprise keys issued to me from my work, and I've always activated them the normal way. I sometimes see those deals on tech websites for super cheap keys, usually less than $15. Always was curious if those would work just fine, but never had the opportunity to try them.
I've bought a few $10-15 keys that work perfectly fine. Never through ebay though.
Elysian is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 28, 2021, 11:27 AM   #12
Meteor_of_War
USA-holes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elysian View Post
I've bought a few $10-15 keys that work perfectly fine. Never through ebay though.
Well I might need to try for myself at some point soon for when my son builds a new PC. I think I last saw some ads for them on TechPowerUp. Hopefully I can still find them.
Old Apr 28, 2021, 11:40 AM   #13
Sundance Kid V2
Your daddy!

Sundance Kid V2 glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsSundance Kid V2 glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsSundance Kid V2 glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsSundance Kid V2 glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsSundance Kid V2 glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsSundance Kid V2 glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsSundance Kid V2 glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsSundance Kid V2 glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsSundance Kid V2 glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsSundance Kid V2 glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsSundance Kid V2 glows with the radiance of a thousand suns

Quote:

those are normal commands , don't think seller could exploit it.
Sundance Kid V2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 28, 2021, 11:52 AM   #14
Trunks0
Keeping an open mind

Trunks0 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Trunks0 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Trunks0 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Trunks0 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Trunks0 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Trunks0 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

Subscriber

Commands are fine. It's activating the key against an enterprise KMS server. This is how larger organizations/companies handle Window activation. They have a bulk number of licenses and it activates against the company server. In this case the KMS server is "kms.digiboy.ir" which if you google it, is a very well known KMS server for grey market keys.

System:
Gigabyte Z87X D3H - Intel i7 4770k @ 4.5Ghz - CoolerMaster Hyper 212 Black RGB - 16Gb Kingston HyperX Black DDR3-1600 - Asus DRW-24F1ST DVD±RW - Samsung 850 Evo 250Gib - 4TiB Seagate - Asus Radeon R9 Fury STRIX - Creative AE-5 Plus - Windows 10 64-bit
Trunks0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 28, 2021, 07:48 PM   #15
KAC
It might be gays!

KAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dial

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trunks0 View Post
Commands are fine. It's activating the key against an enterprise KMS server. This is how larger organizations/companies handle Window activation. They have a bulk number of licenses and it activates against the company server. In this case the KMS server is "kms.digiboy.ir" which if you google it, is a very well known KMS server for grey market keys.
Yes until you find out that your personal information is being leaked regularly to a server without your knowledge and your accounts are wiped out and your wife is talking to an Indian guy giving access to bank accounts and then you end up being homeless and unhappy on the street and poop on the side walk while people go to work on their jump scooters.
KAC is offline   Reply With Quote