Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Archived Discussions » Other Discussions » Radeon Rumour Mill [Archived]
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Radeon Rumour Mill [Archived] A forum for discussion and speculation on AMD's upcoming graphics products and technologies. If it's not out yet it belongs in here.

Old Oct 31, 2009, 08:57 PM   #1
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
ATi VGA Wonder

guest once held a door open for a complete strangerguest once held a door open for a complete strangerguest once held a door open for a complete strangerguest once held a door open for a complete stranger

Default Where are the 2GB 5000 series card?

I heard they were coming out in November. Are their any rumors floating around?
Old Nov 1, 2009, 12:31 AM   #2
[email protected]
Radeon R600

AMD_G@y is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
Originally Posted by guest View Post
I heard they were coming out in November. Are their any rumors floating around?
don't expect them in mass any time soon.. most likely to mirror Fermi lanch

AMD Phenom II X3 720 BE
(3.8Ghz Nocturna All 4 Cores ready and roaring !!)
Asrock M3A790GX/128
8GB OCZ Reaper DDR3 @ 1066
MSI 5770 HAWK x2
Corsair TX750
Seagate 200GB (while OCZ 32GB is RMA)
OCZ 32GB SSD x2 (Raid 0)

-----------------------------
nVidia User Group - bought and paid for
Old Nov 1, 2009, 04:07 AM   #3
Gandalfthewhite
Hardware Enthusiast

Gandalfthewhite is not someone to be trifled withGandalfthewhite is not someone to be trifled withGandalfthewhite is not someone to be trifled withGandalfthewhite is not someone to be trifled withGandalfthewhite is not someone to be trifled withGandalfthewhite is not someone to be trifled withGandalfthewhite is not someone to be trifled withGandalfthewhite is not someone to be trifled with

Subscriber

at this point I think amd decided to hold off shipping of some of its parts like the 5980 aka 5870x2 and the 2gb variants of the 5870s until fermi lands on the streets.

HOURGLASS = most appropriate named ICON/CURSOR in the Windows world :-)

In a dank corner of ATI central, the carpet covered with corn flakes, the faint sound of clicking can be heard........Click......click, click............as the fate of the graphics world and the future of the human race hangs in the balance.

I know....I know........Keep my day job :-)- catcather
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Nov 1, 2009, 05:27 AM   #4
[email protected]
Radeon R600

AMD_G@y is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gandalfthewhite View Post
Chieftec dragon|ABIT AT8|Amd opteron 165 @ 2.025ghz|zalman CNPS 9500| 2 GB Mushkin DDR|2x120gb WD hds|16x Benq DVDRW | Sapphire 3450|dual boot winxp pro and vista ultimate 32bit
Offtopic but I just noticed your 2nd system is very close to my 2nd rig (Abit AT8 32X, Opteron 165, 2GB DDR - Patriot brand, ZALMAN CNPS 8000, BBA 3870, dual 250 WD drives, WinXP, Vista7 and WHS triple boot).. man that sytem is still a workhorse just a shame AMD aborted the Socket prematurely.

AMD Phenom II X3 720 BE
(3.8Ghz Nocturna All 4 Cores ready and roaring !!)
Asrock M3A790GX/128
8GB OCZ Reaper DDR3 @ 1066
MSI 5770 HAWK x2
Corsair TX750
Seagate 200GB (while OCZ 32GB is RMA)
OCZ 32GB SSD x2 (Raid 0)

-----------------------------
nVidia User Group - bought and paid for

Last edited by [email protected] : Nov 1, 2009 at 05:31 AM.
Old Nov 1, 2009, 09:31 AM   #5
ATi VGA Wonder

guest once held a door open for a complete strangerguest once held a door open for a complete strangerguest once held a door open for a complete strangerguest once held a door open for a complete stranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
don't expect them in mass any time soon.. most likely to mirror Fermi lanch
OK I had my eye on this:

http://www.sapphiretech.com/presenta...000101&pid=217

Then this:
http://www.sapphiretech.com/presenta...000101&pid=263

Then the 5000 series came out right after the 4890 2GB card did. The 2GB 4870 made it down to $199 on sale before it vanished.

Last edited by guest : Nov 1, 2009 at 09:33 AM.
Old Nov 1, 2009, 11:38 AM   #6
noko
Radeon Arctic Islands

noko once held a door open for a complete strangernoko once held a door open for a complete strangernoko once held a door open for a complete strangernoko once held a door open for a complete stranger

Yes, oh where oh where are they? It would be a higher priced SKU, using one GPU. Maybe good idea for ATI to release at $469-$499, they will sell slower but if they can get a little better return and folks can have them in stock longer. Prices can always fall, harder to raise them after the fact without folks getting somewhat upset. Plus how many folks would have to have a cross fire solution with two of those babies?

Anyways the 2gb model would to me mean more a professional card for like Eyeinfinity, profesional gamers , to developers pushing the envelope needing the extra faster onboard ram.

The sad part, I want one but will have to wait when money is better on my end.
Old Nov 1, 2009, 01:08 PM   #7
dmanna
Radeon Northern Islands

dmanna can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultydmanna can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

I was originally waiting for the x2 version but I am thinking I will get better performance with two 5870's instead. Then again 800.00$ to 600.00$, you probably should get more performance.
Old Nov 1, 2009, 01:26 PM   #8
kn00tcn
zero-zero

kn00tcn is still being judged by the masses

isnt the 2gb version the eyefinity version? (excluding partner designs)
OpenGL startup crash fix #1 / fix #2 (for < radeon 6000 cards?)
better crossfire for Section8 Prejudice, Hydrophobia, UDK
Old Nov 1, 2009, 04:06 PM   #9
caveman-jim
Deposed King of Rage3D

caveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badges

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gandalfthewhite View Post
at this point I think amd decided to hold off shipping of some of its parts like the 5980 aka 5870x2 and the 2gb variants of the 5870s until fermi lands on the streets.
Lands on the streets is a long time away... I don't think they'll hold it back that long. Maybe hold back until Fermi is paper announced? Rumors for that are the end of this month, 23rd... I don't think nVidia can get availability to consumer until Q1 10.

It might be that AMD is holding back on the less popular variants while the 5870 and 5850 are in such demand and short supply. I wonder if nVidia are manufacturing 40nm GT210's just to hold back production capacity from ATi. But where are all the GT210's going? China? OEM?

Hemlock @ <$500 MSRP with two Cypress cores could have smaller margin than single Cypress sales, so with limited supply and high demand, hold back the lower demand SKU's until there is more supply.
Old Nov 1, 2009, 04:14 PM   #10
Skynet
Banned

Skynet has a basement full of buried neg-reppersSkynet has a basement full of buried neg-reppersSkynet has a basement full of buried neg-reppersSkynet has a basement full of buried neg-reppersSkynet has a basement full of buried neg-reppersSkynet has a basement full of buried neg-reppersSkynet has a basement full of buried neg-reppersSkynet has a basement full of buried neg-reppersSkynet has a basement full of buried neg-reppersSkynet has a basement full of buried neg-reppersSkynet has a basement full of buried neg-reppers

Quote:
Originally Posted by caveman-jim View Post
I wonder if nVidia are manufacturing 40nm GT210's just to hold back production capacity from ATi. But where are all the GT210's going? China? OEM?
I think it is far more sinister. I am really starting to think Jen-Hsun Huang somehow convinced TSMC to severely limit production of the 58xx series cards. I will retract that statement if they come back into stock in the next few days and stay that way for the remainder of the year. But as it stands, it looks like no 58xx cards until December. And that is probably around the time Fermi will paper launch.
Old Nov 1, 2009, 05:07 PM   #11
caveman-jim
Deposed King of Rage3D

caveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badges

I don't think he could do that... unless you mean a while ago he got them sign a contract guaranteeing a certain level of process manufacture availability, no matter if its used or not?
Old Nov 2, 2009, 01:03 AM   #12
noko
Radeon Arctic Islands

noko once held a door open for a complete strangernoko once held a door open for a complete strangernoko once held a door open for a complete strangernoko once held a door open for a complete stranger

Now if Nvidia is tieing up TSMC it would be short term since they would end up with loads of GPU's on a rather low yielding process if they continue. Interrupting ATI ability to sell at pick buying time of year, right now that is, could give them a better chance to sell their solution later when ready. Since TSMC wants to maximize sells on the 40nm process I am sure they will take as many orders as they can handle. Not sure at what capacity their 40nm foundary(s) are running at. If at 100% then ATI may have to wait in line.
Old Nov 2, 2009, 03:21 AM   #13
john19055
Rage3D Veteran

john19055 is still being judged by the masses

I wish they could get thier quanties up so they could be in stock ,I want a ATI HD 5870x2 and it looks like I going to have to wait a month or more ,but I don't think they are waiting on nvidia to launch the Fermi since it does'nt look like it will be out untill sometime next year ,they are just haveing problems getting enough TSMC .
Intel Core i7-3820(4.8gig)Gigabyte X79-UD5+G.Skill DDR3 1600 16gigs + 2-ASUS- GTX-670 SLI Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty + 2-Western Digtal SSD 128gb-Raid-0 + 1-3TB Samsung + 2-1TB-Western Digital1- LG 16x BLU-RAY Bruner+Logitech G9 Mouse + G15 keyboard +G25 wheel + e5300 5.1 speakers +Corsair Hydro H100i GTX cooler- ANTEC P-280 case+ XFX-850watt Modular GOLD
Old Nov 2, 2009, 01:37 PM   #14
ATi VGA Wonder

Quote:
It might be that AMD is holding back on the less popular variants while the 5870 and 5850 are in such demand and short supply. I wonder if nVidia are manufacturing 40nm GT210's just to hold back production capacity from ATi. But where are all the GT210's going? China? OEM?
Perhaps we will find out if Nvidia ever goes under holding a warehouse of 1 billion GT210 chips.

Quote:
Originally Posted by john19055 View Post
I wish they could get thier quanties up so they could be in stock ,I want a ATI HD 5870x2 and it looks like I going to have to wait a month or more ,but I don't think they are waiting on nvidia to launch the Fermi since it does'nt look like it will be out untill sometime next year ,they are just haveing problems getting enough TSMC .
Perhaps Fermi yields are really low, like in the single digit range, so a lot of production is going on with very little to show in the end.
Old Nov 2, 2009, 01:50 PM   #15
caveman-jim
Deposed King of Rage3D

Quote:
Perhaps we will find out if Dell, HP and IBM computer divisions offer nearly free GT210 cards in their workstations
Old Nov 2, 2009, 01:55 PM   #16
acroig
Troll SMod

acroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand suns

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skynet View Post
I think it is far more sinister. I am really starting to think Jen-Hsun Huang somehow convinced TSMC to severely limit production of the 58xx series cards. I will retract that statement if they come back into stock in the next few days and stay that way for the remainder of the year. But as it stands, it looks like no 58xx cards until December. And that is probably around the time Fermi will paper launch.
Quote:
I don't think he could do that... unless you mean a while ago he got them sign a contract guaranteeing a certain level of process manufacture availability, no matter if its used or not?
Skynet, you think nV has the $ for that? After all, think of all the money they pay devs to sabotage ATI cards! Now they can afford to pay a foundry to do the same?

nV must be made up of $!
Old Nov 2, 2009, 03:49 PM   #17
kn00tcn
zero-zero

kn00tcn is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
Originally Posted by acroig View Post
Skynet, you think nV has the $ for that? After all, think of all the money they pay devs to sabotage ATI cards! Now they can afford to pay a foundry to do the same?

nV must be made up of $!
indeed, nv isnt intel (yet?)
OpenGL startup crash fix #1 / fix #2 (for < radeon 6000 cards?)
better crossfire for Section8 Prejudice, Hydrophobia, UDK
Old Nov 2, 2009, 04:06 PM   #18
Skynet
Banned

Skynet has a basement full of buried neg-reppersSkynet has a basement full of buried neg-reppersSkynet has a basement full of buried neg-reppersSkynet has a basement full of buried neg-reppersSkynet has a basement full of buried neg-reppersSkynet has a basement full of buried neg-reppersSkynet has a basement full of buried neg-reppersSkynet has a basement full of buried neg-reppersSkynet has a basement full of buried neg-reppersSkynet has a basement full of buried neg-reppersSkynet has a basement full of buried neg-reppers

Quote:
Originally Posted by acroig View Post

nV must be made up of $!
It's not just about money, it's about I will help you now, you do me a favour in the future. A buddy buddy agreement, with cash involved as well. (with a cultural slant tossed in)

That's just a crazy theory, but something is VERY off about the supply problems on the ATI side, very off. I just feel it. And consider some of the 40nm cards Nvidia is making right now. They literally make no sense, they are slow, pathetic excuses and have no reason to exist. Nvidia churning up capacity just to hurt AMD?

Yea my theory is nuts, so sue me.
Old Nov 2, 2009, 05:42 PM   #19
noko
Radeon Arctic Islands

You are probably not far from the truth through . Nvidia 200 series is dead in the water since ATI has a complete top to bottom strategy making last generation designs obsolete even if on new smaller process. That is if ATI can get them produced. If ATI cards are not available to buy, Nvidia will be selling many of theirs in the next couple of months.

I can see A1 silicon, Fermi being produced for Tesla products which come at a premium price, off setting the low yields plus every wafer that Nvidia gets out of TSMC is one less Wafer ATI will get. Fermi has great stuff for that market and doesn't need to be held back. A2 or A3 silicon I expect will be the gaming GPU down the road. All conjecture on my part.

Last edited by noko : Nov 2, 2009 at 05:48 PM.
Old Nov 2, 2009, 09:27 PM   #20
Skynet
Banned

What makes you think A2 silicon will be okay for a HPC application but not as a gaming chip? If the chip comes back with defects, they get fixed. There is no such thing as a defect that is acceptable for one application but not okay for another.

Unless Nvidia plans on selling a product with unexpected and potentially fatal computational flaws.
Old Nov 2, 2009, 09:42 PM   #21
ATi VGA Wonder

Quote:
What makes you think A2 silicon will be okay for a HPC application but not as a gaming chip? If the chip comes back with defects, they get fixed. There is no such thing as a defect that is acceptable for one application but not okay for another.

Unless Nvidia plans on selling a product with unexpected and potentially fatal computational flaws.
Isn't that how we ended up with DX10? I thought Nvidia couldn't meet all the DX10 specs so they renamed the original DX10 spec DX10.1 and whatever Nvidia could muster set the DX10 spec?

Watch DX 11-.1 be a standard.
Old Nov 2, 2009, 11:49 PM   #22
Skynet
Banned

There will be a DX11.1 I do believe, late next year. Not sure I understand what you're saying guest. Defects are not missing features, the feature set of a GPU is established and tested in simulations long before the first silicon is run off.

Are you saying that GT200 had specific DirectX features that failed, so Nvidia just disabled them in the die? I've never heard that. (not counting redundancy)
Old Nov 3, 2009, 12:11 AM   #23
noko
Radeon Arctic Islands

Quote:

A2 may have less then steller yields but for HPC applications it could be accetable for the Tesla line since top dollar could offset the higher cost to produce. Your right though A1 is scrape from what I've read lately and I am sure Nvidia is hopeing that A2 will be it for Fermi production both for gamers and for HPC. Now A3 is probably more like the real production chip but who knows, if Nvidia figured out all the problems with A1 with the very few samples they have and successfully addressed those in A2 which hasn't been produced yet then just maybe. Which once again makes me think May of next year is the real date for availability for the G300 lines. In short Nvidia is hosed.
Old Nov 3, 2009, 12:25 AM   #24
ATi VGA Wonder

Quote:
There will be a DX11.1 I do believe, late next year. Not sure I understand what you're saying guest. Defects are not missing features, the feature set of a GPU is established and tested in simulations long before the first silicon is run off.

Are you saying that GT200 had specific DirectX features that failed, so Nvidia just disabled them in the die? I've never heard that. (not counting redundancy)
I was talking about when G80 parts were new Nvidia could not get specific requirements of DX10 to work so Microsoft dropped them. One being full memory virtualization. This was all rumor.
I cannot find much on it now.
http://forum.beyond3d.com/showthread.php?p=1130342
Old Nov 3, 2009, 12:50 AM   #25
Skynet
Banned

^^ I vaguely remember that. Well Nvidia has DX10.1 parts now, so it's all good, problem fixed.
Old Nov 3, 2009, 06:56 AM   #26
Rambozo
Making Hit Documentaries

Rambozo once held a door open for a complete strangerRambozo once held a door open for a complete strangerRambozo once held a door open for a complete strangerRambozo once held a door open for a complete stranger

Quote:
OK I had my eye on this:

http://www.sapphiretech.com/presenta...000101&pid=217

Then this:
http://www.sapphiretech.com/presenta...000101&pid=263

Then the 5000 series came out right after the 4890 2GB card did. The 2GB 4870 made it down to $199 on sale before it vanished.
I would put the idea of these cards aside. Maybe if you are looking for something cheap, but even still their performance isn't that much better than the 1gig cards.

I would either get a basic stopgap card to hold you off, or look into the 5000 series. I don't know how they would benefit from additional memory though.

Not my fault, I voted Ron Paul.

Not my fault, I voted Badnarik.
Old Nov 3, 2009, 08:10 AM   #27
acroig
Troll SMod

acroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand suns

Quote:
It's not just about money, it's about I will help you now, you do me a favour in the future. A buddy buddy agreement, with cash involved as well. (with a cultural slant tossed in)
I can see that working woth devs but with a foundry?

I think you're stretching the conspiracy theory past the point of credulity.