Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Community and Site Discussions » Front Page News
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Front Page News News and Rage3D articles as it appears on the frontpage.

Old Feb 1, 2011, 10:56 AM   #91
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
caveman-jim
Deposed King of Rage3D

caveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badges

Samsung is issuing full refunds
caveman-jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 1, 2011, 11:00 AM   #92
Lupine
Administrator

Lupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at best

Quote:
Originally Posted by caveman-jim View Post
Samsung is issuing full refunds
From the above:

Samsung, however, said there would be no financial impact on its business as total payment will be funded by Intel.

As I expected, so end users should see no financial cost here, regardless of who supplied the faulty hardware.

I like Anand's resolution the best though ...

Quote:
I maintain that the best gesture of goodwill on Intel’s part would be to enable motherboard manufacturers to replace P67/H67 motherboards with Z68 boards for those users who want them.
http://www.anandtech.com/show/4143/t...point-sata-bug

Lupine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 1, 2011, 11:07 AM   #93
caveman-jim
Deposed King of Rage3D

caveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badges

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lupine View Post
From the above:

Samsung, however, said there would be no financial impact on its business as total payment will be funded by Intel.

As I expected, so end users should see no financial cost here, regardless of who supplied the faulty hardware.
Well, yes.... that is what Intel's $1Bn write is for, paying for the refunds and costs of handling the refunds, returns and replacements. Everybody expected that, where we need to look is to see which partners/customers of Intel don't offer full refunds or zero cost replacements of products.

I like Anand's proposed solution as well, but I don't think it will happen. Perhaps some companies will offer 'step up' type programs to allow replacing the P67/H67 board with a Z68 for a token minimal cost.
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Feb 1, 2011, 11:36 AM   #94
Lupine
Administrator

Lupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at best

Quote:
Well, yes.... that is what Intel's $1Bn write is for, paying for the refunds and costs of handling the refunds, returns and replacements. Everybody expected that, where we need to look is to see which partners/customers of Intel don't offer full refunds or zero cost replacements of products.

I like Anand's proposed solution as well, but I don't think it will happen. Perhaps some companies will offer 'step up' type programs to allow replacing the P67/H67 board with a Z68 for a token minimal cost.
If Intel is covering the costs, why would any partner do any less than offer zero cost replacements and/or full refunds?
Old Feb 1, 2011, 11:55 AM   #95
caveman-jim
Deposed King of Rage3D

Quote:
If Intel is covering the costs, why would any partner do any less than offer zero cost replacements and/or full refunds?
Intel aren't covering costs, they are offering an allocation from the pot of money they've set aside. So each OEM/Partner puts together a number and justification of why they should get that much.

The partner wants the number to include punitive costs as well. They're the ones with the black eye and extra work. The number has to cover not only the cost of physical replacement, but the extra shipping, tracking, paperwork, office hours for handling it all.

Now, that $1Bn doesn't look like such a big pot anymore. So the partner wants to play both ends against the middle. They don't want to cover any cost they can pass on; shipping back to them of the defective board from the end user, advanced replacements, covering replacements of board models they don't have in stock with higher end models, step-up programs.

The end user wants to be treated like a injured party, premium concierge style. They want a free, better motherboard, without having to send the defective one back until the new one comes in (if they even want to send it back at all). Until the free, better motherboard is available, they want a free add in board that offers all the functionality that they lost. Despite having paid $150, they want to be treated like they bought a Bentley. Dammit, without them, the company they purchased from would go out of business! They're entitled to this!

The reseller/partner/OEM wants to minimize costs, while balancing PR. Depending on the market segment they service and the number of customers they have, they will approach it differently. Especially if they have nice wide product porfolio to defray costs against until they can work out passing on costs.

So large companies can put the price of all their lines up a small amount, get the money from Intel, and do right by the consumer for those affected. Smaller companies have to consider how much cash they have on hand, to pay for immediate costs like shipping, calling their suppliers to get orders cancelled, updated etc., as well as overtime/new hires for handling the deluge of emails and phone calls. They might be up against a choice of damaging reputation slightly vs. going out of business before the replacement boards arrive. And all of this doesn't factor in publicly traded companies that have to deal with shareholder and board pressure to keep money revenues high.

That's why we'll see what appear to be obviously bad mind-share and PR moves, in the handling of this recall. Intel are already doing the dance to appease the shareholders and board, by the very nature of their disclosure. Now they middle management guys have to appease the partners, OEM's and so forth, using the $1Bn the sparingly as possible.
Old Feb 1, 2011, 12:38 PM   #96
moshpit
Resident Mac Hater

moshpit once held a door open for a complete strangermoshpit once held a door open for a complete strangermoshpit once held a door open for a complete strangermoshpit once held a door open for a complete stranger

Subscriber

Quote:
If they can offer a Sabertooth P67 style board with Z68 for a minimal cost difference, I'd take that with a smile on my face and call this whole thing a plus. But, if the Z68 offer isn't for a board nearly identical in other aspects, including the Thermal Armor which I've decided I really like the look of, then I just want a straight up trade out for the same as what I have.

I'm also loath to give up the most forgiving overclockers motherboard I've ever owned. Auto is a worthwhile setting now! Seriously! And not just for CPU voltages, memory too! Auto seems to actually scale to exact real world needs in a way I've never had a board do before. As CPU speed is increased via multi, the vcore goes up JUST enough to keep it stable, manual doesn't shave anything off and keep stability. Same goes for vmem, this is the first board I dropped 4 sticks in, manually set speed to 1600 and timings to all 9's, 21, and 2T, and leave vmem on auto. Instantly worked fine and perfect stability.

Lost 4 SATA2 ports to gain all that? I'll take that deal!
Old Feb 1, 2011, 09:43 PM   #97
Bires
50 lb lap dog ;)

Bires once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Bires once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Bires once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Bires once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Bires once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Bires once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

Quote:
Originally Posted by moshpit View Post
Lost 4 SATA2 ports to gain all that? I'll take that deal!
+1.

I do wonder what happens in the spring when the new boards go on sale. Newegg said this:

Quote:
Originally Posted by da egg, yo
In keeping with our commitment to our customers, we are extending the return period for your motherboard by 90 days or until replacements become available from the manufacturer, whichever is greater. Intel expects to have a new revision of the P67 & H67 chipsets out around April, at which point first-run motherboards with this issue will need to be physically replaced in affected systems.
My computer? I've put its specs in the box to the left.
There are many people on the Rage3D forums.
They're very proud of their computers.
Bires is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 2, 2011, 01:24 AM   #98
noko
Radeon Arctic Islands

noko once held a door open for a complete strangernoko once held a door open for a complete strangernoko once held a door open for a complete strangernoko once held a door open for a complete stranger

Quote:
Intel aren't covering costs, they are offering an allocation from the pot of money they've set aside. So each OEM/Partner puts together a number and justification of why they should get that much.

The partner wants the number to include punitive costs as well. They're the ones with the black eye and extra work. The number has to cover not only the cost of physical replacement, but the extra shipping, tracking, paperwork, office hours for handling it all.

Now, that $1Bn doesn't look like such a big pot anymore. So the partner wants to play both ends against the middle. They don't want to cover any cost they can pass on; shipping back to them of the defective board from the end user, advanced replacements, covering replacements of board models they don't have in stock with higher end models, step-up programs.

The end user wants to be treated like a injured party, premium concierge style. They want a free, better motherboard, without having to send the defective one back until the new one comes in (if they even want to send it back at all). Until the free, better motherboard is available, they want a free add in board that offers all the functionality that they lost. Despite having paid $150, they want to be treated like they bought a Bentley. Dammit, without them, the company they purchased from would go out of business! They're entitled to this!

The reseller/partner/OEM wants to minimize costs, while balancing PR. Depending on the market segment they service and the number of customers they have, they will approach it differently. Especially if they have nice wide product porfolio to defray costs against until they can work out passing on costs.

So large companies can put the price of all their lines up a small amount, get the money from Intel, and do right by the consumer for those affected. Smaller companies have to consider how much cash they have on hand, to pay for immediate costs like shipping, calling their suppliers to get orders cancelled, updated etc., as well as overtime/new hires for handling the deluge of emails and phone calls. They might be up against a choice of damaging reputation slightly vs. going out of business before the replacement boards arrive. And all of this doesn't factor in publicly traded companies that have to deal with shareholder and board pressure to keep money revenues high.

That's why we'll see what appear to be obviously bad mind-share and PR moves, in the handling of this recall. Intel are already doing the dance to appease the shareholders and board, by the very nature of their disclosure. Now they middle management guys have to appease the partners, OEM's and so forth, using the $1Bn the sparingly as possible.
Of course you got countless want of be users wishing for one of those defective boards too
noko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 2, 2011, 01:48 PM   #99
WhAt3v3r
Radeon Northern Islands

WhAt3v3r is still being judged by the masses

No bid deal. Jeez, they are correcting it. Just switch to the Marvel and put your DVD drive on the Intel. I'm glad I get a shiny new updated motherboard when they are out since I bought from the EGG, but what a bitch to undo my water cooling setup and do another mobo swap.
Old Feb 2, 2011, 04:50 PM   #100
Lupine
Administrator

We've posted the official Asus response on the front page:

http://www.rage3d.com/index.php?cat=75#newsid33973552
Old Feb 2, 2011, 05:15 PM   #101
Syl66
I've got nothin'

Syl66 is still being judged by the masses

Here is a little bit of info I read over on NCIX .

Quote:
The feedback from Intel's tier 1 motherboard partners is that no one outside of Intel's lab has been able to produce this error yet despite attempts to speed up the process by increasing voltages to the affected components and subjecting them to heavy use. At this time NCIX recommends that customers continue to use the P67/H67 products until replacements are available.
Syl66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 4, 2011, 09:50 PM   #102
alex-the-cat
Radeon R600

alex-the-cat is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
Wierd, Newegg pulled the procs too. Backward time machine enabled!

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...d=1&name=Intel
if there is no board to use the proc, why bother?