Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Gaming and Computing Forums » General Software
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

General Software Anything software that is not operating system related goes here. Talk about the latest applications or discuss betas of upcoming products.

Old Feb 22, 2004, 02:56 PM   #1
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
trusnoop
Radeon R420

trusnoop is still being judged by the masses

Default Halting Laptop HDD while watching movies on the go?

Hi.
i recently purchased a sony v505 laptop which has a 32 mb 9200 video, 1.4Ghz pentium m and 512 ram. i was able to watch a whole movie with about 25 percent battery left at the end of the movie. the movie was an avi file.
one thing that i noticed was that the hard drive was always spinning during the whole playback. now that can eat some of the battery life. im not complaining about current battery life!
just curious if there is any software out there that can actually read say may be 200mb of the movie, store it in the ram and then stop the hard drive untill that 200mb chunk is being played?????
i already tried to search for it but no good. maybe its not possible because there are other tasks running in the background that need constant use of hdd.
if i were to play the same file from the optical drive, would the optical drive take less power than the laptop hard drive? assuming that when reading from the optical drive, the hard drive turns of after few mins.???

thanks for your 2 min.
Abit NF7-S Rev 2.0//Amd Athlon XP 2500 Barton @ 200*11=2200MHz Stock Voltage//Cooled wit Stock HSF//Samsung 2x512 MB PC 3200//Sapphire 9500Pro @ 345/315 Core/mem //WD 800JB//Pioneer DVR-A06U//Sound Blaster Audigy// All of this inside an ANTEC 1080 430W TRUEPOWER GREY//
"My Computer is a researcher."
trusnoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2004, 09:39 PM   #2
Trekster
:)

Trekster is still being judged by the masses

Turning off the swap file might help, but with only 512mb of ram (running Win XP i assume) it might cause more problems than its worth.
Or to take arms against a sea of troubles,
And by opposing end them?"
Trekster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23, 2004, 11:19 AM   #3
Stoned Bob
Radeon Volcanic Islands

Stoned Bob is still being judged by the masses

well the only solution I can think of is creating say like 200mb ramdrive and then split the movie in about 3 parts and store each part on the ramdisk and watch it, pain is that u hafta copy 1of3 each time to the ramdisk, or if possible put 1gb in that laptop
Stoned Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad