Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Graphics Technology Forums » Other Graphics Cards and 3D Technologies
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Other Graphics Cards and 3D Technologies Discussion forum for any graphics hardware not provided by AMD/ATI. Also place to discuss 3D technologies such as 3D Stereo, PhysX and other interesting developments/rumours in the 3D industry.

Old May 18, 2022, 08:56 AM   #691
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
acroig
Troll SMod

acroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand suns

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_sextein View Post
It looks to me like Nvidia and AMD may be moving their cards apart so one dominates until the other responds. The apposite is happening vs Intel in the CPU arena where Intel is aggressively launching new products the moment AMD delivers.
Dunno, aside from RT AMD delivered well with 6000 series but I agree with your points.

Q3-Q4 of '22 will be fun for sure.
acroig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18, 2022, 09:24 AM   #692
the_sextein
Radeon Southern Islands

the_sextein knows why the caged bird singsthe_sextein knows why the caged bird singsthe_sextein knows why the caged bird singsthe_sextein knows why the caged bird singsthe_sextein knows why the caged bird singsthe_sextein knows why the caged bird sings

I agree, even if I'm bound to Nvidia for 3D art, I still look forward to AMD's card launch as a fan of tech. I'll be digging into the first reviews as soon as they are available just like I did last time.
the_sextein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18, 2022, 09:51 AM   #693
acroig
Troll SMod

acroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand suns

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_sextein View Post
I still look forward to AMD's card launch as a fan of tech. I'll be digging into the first reviews as soon as they are available just like I did last time.
Ditto and if the numbers are right and product is available I have no issues going all AMD.
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old May 18, 2022, 10:08 AM   #694
Nascar24
EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 Ultra

Nascar24 is not someone to be trifled withNascar24 is not someone to be trifled withNascar24 is not someone to be trifled withNascar24 is not someone to be trifled withNascar24 is not someone to be trifled withNascar24 is not someone to be trifled withNascar24 is not someone to be trifled withNascar24 is not someone to be trifled with

Quote:
Originally Posted by acroig View Post
Ditto and if the numbers are right and product is available I have no issues going all AMD.
For GPU you will be going NV since AMD will be a good 3 or 4 months behind. Also wonder why the leaker yesterday said he was disappointed in RDNA3.
Nascar24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18, 2022, 10:11 AM   #695
acroig
Troll SMod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nascar24 View Post
For GPU you will be going NV since AMD will be a good 3 or 4 months behind. Also wonder why the leaker yesterday said he was disappointed in RDNA3.
You are assuming nV can deliver Aida in July, I call shens on that.
Old May 18, 2022, 10:13 AM   #696
Nunz
RIP Roxen

Nunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand suns

Yeah, not sold on that either. September would be more typical, with a potential paper-launch in mid-August
"If you can't handle me when I'm bulking, you don't deserve me when I'm cut." -- Marilyn Monbroe
Nunz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18, 2022, 10:14 AM   #697
Nascar24
EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 Ultra

Nascar24 is not someone to be trifled withNascar24 is not someone to be trifled withNascar24 is not someone to be trifled withNascar24 is not someone to be trifled withNascar24 is not someone to be trifled withNascar24 is not someone to be trifled withNascar24 is not someone to be trifled withNascar24 is not someone to be trifled with

Quote:
You are assuming nV can deliver Aida in July, I call shens on that.
Everyone knows the Jacket can deliver, even Billy!
Old May 18, 2022, 10:22 AM   #698
acroig
Troll SMod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nunz View Post
Yeah, not sold on that either. September would be more typical, with a potential paper-launch in mid-August
Quote:
I think Nunz has a more realistic timeframe on a best case scenario.
Old May 18, 2022, 10:40 AM   #699
pax
Rage3D Spammer

pax once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'pax once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'pax once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'pax once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'pax once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'pax once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

I dunno these leakers are pretty reliable. Id bet on low volume of a halo product in July just to beat AMD to the punch.

Piledriver Rig 2016: Gigabyte G1 gaming 990fx. FX 8350 cpu. XFX RX 480 GTR Cats 21.6.1, SoundBlaster ZXR, 2 x 8 gig ddr3 1866 Kingston. 1 x 2tb Firecuda seagate with 8 gig mlc SSHD. Sharp 60" 4k 60 hz tv. Win 10 home.

Ryzen Rig 2017: Gigabyte X370 K7 F50d bios. Ryzen 5800X3D :). 2 x 8 ddr4 3600 (@3200) Cas 16 Gskill. Sapphire Vega 64 Reference Cooler Cats 22.4.1. 1700 mhz @1.1v. Soundblaster X Ae5, 32" Dell S3220DGF 1440p Freesync Premium Pro monitor, Kingston A2000 1TB NVME. 4 TB HGST NAS HD. Win 11 pro.

Ignore List: Keystone, Andino... -My Baron, he wishes to inform you that vendetta, as he puts it in the ancient tongue, the art of kanlee is still alive... He does not wish to meet or speak with you...-
"Either half my colleagues are enormously stupid, or else the science of darwinism is fully compatible with conventional religious beliefs and equally compatible with atheism." -Stephen Jay Gould, Rock of Ages.
"The Intelligibility of the Universe itself needs explanation. It is not the gaps of understanding of the world that points to God but rather the very comprehensibility of scientific and other forms of understanding that requires an explanation." -Richard Swinburne

www.realitysandwich.com

www.makepovertyhistory.org
pax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18, 2022, 10:41 AM   #700
Nunz
RIP Roxen

Nunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand suns

Quote:
Originally Posted by pax View Post
I dunno these leakers are pretty reliable. Id bet on low volume of a halo product in July just to beat AMD to the punch.
Not a single one of these leakers are reliable. They get one thing right out of 20 BS claims. It's flinging **** at a wall .. eventually they get one on target
"If you can't handle me when I'm bulking, you don't deserve me when I'm cut." -- Marilyn Monbroe
Old May 18, 2022, 11:01 AM   #701
Nascar24
EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 Ultra

I don’t expect real stock till sept. But at least we will know all about what they can do by that time.
Old May 18, 2022, 11:17 AM   #702
bill dennison
Rage3D Spammer

bill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppers

Quote:
i think you need to stop the green kool aid
i think he will deliver a global warming nightmare

and both NV GPU'S and AMD GPU's & CPU's will be at the same time within a month of each other
September or Oktoberfest most likely so they can crank up to be in good stock for the holidays

September or October is both their normal release times

as for AMD , NV cards

AMD has taken away any DLSS advantage with FSR 2.0
and killed DLSS by working with all cards and Xbox

and i think RDNA 3 will be just as fast at RT as Linda

Linda will be the same 35% to 50% as NV always gives us and wattage will be higher than the 3000's by a good bit 550 to 700 watts

AMD will be 450 to 500 watts RT will be much faster than the 6000's and so will raster
but with MCM chiplets it is too much of a unknown to say if it will or won't beet Linda

Last edited by bill dennison : May 18, 2022 at 11:38 AM.
bill dennison is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 18, 2022, 11:33 AM   #703
Nascar24
EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 Ultra

Billy you have a bad track record since last release so we need to take your talk with a grain of salt.
Old May 18, 2022, 11:40 AM   #704
Nunz
RIP Roxen

Bill hitting that crack pipe again
Old May 18, 2022, 11:40 AM   #705
the_sextein
Radeon Southern Islands

the_sextein knows why the caged bird singsthe_sextein knows why the caged bird singsthe_sextein knows why the caged bird singsthe_sextein knows why the caged bird singsthe_sextein knows why the caged bird singsthe_sextein knows why the caged bird sings

If the 4080 has 16GB of VRAM instead of 12 is because of AMD. The Farcry 6 texture pack was a hoot and that was AMD as well. I think a win from AMD would be a good thing for the industry to be honest. I have my doubts that it will win by a significant amount and if it's late then it should win by at least a little or it's a waste of time. I don't doubt AMD's ability to compete with ray tracing this round and FSR is pretty close to DLSS at this point. It's going to be a competitive card I think.
Old May 18, 2022, 11:42 AM   #706
bill dennison
Rage3D Spammer

bill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppers

Quote:
Billy you have a bad track record since last release so we need to take your talk with a grain of salt.
yea NV cards sold for 3x what i thought
Old May 18, 2022, 11:46 AM   #707
the_sextein
Radeon Southern Islands

One thing to consider regarding NV's power though. Last time they went from TSMC 12nm to Samsung 8nm. I have heard Samsung's 8nm is more like a 10nm run from TSMC. My point is that they didn't gain much and NV was simply forced into that situation due to covid. They only added a single GPC and this time they have apparently added 5 while maintaining a 600mm2 die. If this is true then dropping down to TSMC 4N could allow a large increase without going ape on the power. Power requirements stayed the same for a decade while GPU power increased 20X so it's not impossible.
Old May 18, 2022, 12:08 PM   #708
acroig
Troll SMod

Quote:
Originally Posted by bill dennison View Post
and i think RDNA 3 will be just as fast at RT as Linda
AMD 2nd gen RT beating nV 3rd gen RT? Big boast there, we shall see.
Old May 18, 2022, 12:25 PM   #709
bill dennison
Rage3D Spammer

Quote:
AMD 2nd gen RT beating nV 3rd gen RT? Big boast there, we shall see.
no tied

and more than possible without the DLSS advantage that is gone now

and by the NV 5000's DLSS will be gone in games they will all be FSR
Old May 18, 2022, 12:42 PM   #710
SIrPauly
Did someone say, RGSSAA?

SIrPauly once held a door open for a complete strangerSIrPauly once held a door open for a complete strangerSIrPauly once held a door open for a complete stranger

Personally don't take the rumors too seriously but more for entertainment. One may garner some speculation with common sense based on history. What is tiresome are the spinning pinwheels that throw out virtually every possibility and spin how they were correct from their legions of sources. The absolute worse one was Charlie Demerjian
Old May 18, 2022, 12:45 PM   #711
Nunz
RIP Roxen

Quote:
Old May 18, 2022, 12:48 PM   #712
the_sextein
Radeon Southern Islands

My guess is that it's not really hard to build bigger cores or dedicate more space to ray tracing, it's a matter of balance vs raster performance and power requirements. If AMD has the head room and Nvidia's card is already out then they could simply draw a line in the sand and match it I think.

Still, if Nvidia really did gain nearly 2X density from 8n Samsung to 4nm TSMC then it would make sense that they could push nearly twice the amount of GPC's into this thing. Kopite Kimi posted the block diagrams that show how the FP32 and INT units are separated and capable of about 2X the performance. If they maintained the same die size then it's going to be power efficient and of course it will cost more energy to push all of those extra transistors but a 4090 with double the output and a 100 watt increase sounds feasible to me. Will AMD's new design have taken this into consideration? Nobody really knows much about AMD's new MCM design so it's all up in the air right now. I think it's possible that AMD could win, or lose or tie Nvidia but most likely it will be late and just an a$$hair faster if they are lucky in my opinion.

Regarding Nvidia proprietary technologies. They do that because they are the ones innovating and if AMD wants the same then they are forced to make their own. If AMD makes a version that becomes standard that all cards use, it's not because they are nice people or that Nvidia could not do it. It's AMD's only way of taking that advantage away from Nvidia and since Nvidia is the one who earned it, it's only right that it goes this way. If you are looking at it as a win for AMD because they copied Nvidia's idea and made a standard then you are looking at it wrong. It's no longer an advantage or profitable once it reaches that point/. AMD has simply earned the right to use it and not be beaten over the head with it after that point. If Nvidia was trying to catch up with AMD innovations then they would have to do the same.

Last edited by the_sextein : May 18, 2022 at 12:56 PM.
Old May 18, 2022, 12:56 PM   #713
SIrPauly
Did someone say, RGSSAA?

SIrPauly once held a door open for a complete strangerSIrPauly once held a door open for a complete strangerSIrPauly once held a door open for a complete stranger

Quote:
no tied

and more than possible without the DLSS advantage that is gone now

I tried FSR 2.0 in Deathloop and the default sharpening is too strong but fortunately you can lower it. The 4k quality setting is good but it's not a DLSS killer, imho.
Old May 18, 2022, 01:43 PM   #714
Nascar24
EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 Ultra

Quote:
yea NV cards sold for 3x what i thought
Fail Billy! I didn’t pay it, but you did!
Old May 18, 2022, 02:07 PM   #715
acroig
Troll SMod

Quote:
Fail Billy! I didn’t pay it, but you did!
Ya Bill, we all paid MSRP man!
Old May 18, 2022, 02:27 PM   #716
bill dennison
Rage3D Spammer

Quote:
Ya Bill, we all paid MSRP man!
so did i at the time

but most of the 6900 xt are selling well below MSRP now
other than Asus
and my ASRock RX 6900 XT Formula has dropped the most of all the Navi 21 XTXH chips ... oh well
the 3000''s are almost all still selling high other that EVGA

almost like something new is coming soon

was temped by this for a bit
https://www.evga.com/products/produc...12G-P5-3967-KR

but it not any faster than my 6900 xt other than at RT and it's too late

kind of got a bug for this after seeing it
https://www.springfield-armory.com/h...ion-556-rifle/
but 2k
Old May 18, 2022, 02:30 PM   #717
acroig
Troll SMod

Quote:
other than Asus
Which is what you had originally wanted. Asus really shafted gamers with the uber inflated prices this gen.
Old May 18, 2022, 02:32 PM   #718
acroig
Troll SMod

Quote:
My card? Yes, it's very nice.
Old May 18, 2022, 02:33 PM   #719
bill dennison
Rage3D Spammer

Quote:
Which is what you had originally wanted. Asus really shafted gamers with the uber inflated prices this gen.
yea

i have had very good luck with all my Strix cards but they went nuts this time
but when my 2080 ti Strix died they gave me a brand new one in a week
Old May 18, 2022, 02:48 PM   #720
acroig
Troll SMod

Quote:
yea

i have had very good luck with all my Strix cards but they went nuts this time
but when my 2080 ti Strix died they gave me a brand new one in a week
Agreed.