Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Gaming and Computing Forums » General Hardware
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

General Hardware Talk about PCs/Macs, motherboards, CPUs, sound cards, RAM, hard drives, networking and everything else about computer hardware!

Old May 3, 2007, 05:38 AM   #1
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
vazel
Banned

vazel is still being judged by the masses

Default fellas did you know your HDD has a built-in way of securely erasing your data?

Yea this is awesome too bad the feature isn't built into Windows like it is with Mac. http://blogs.zdnet.com/storage/?p=129
vazel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3, 2007, 07:07 AM   #2
Crisler
SAPPHIRE PR REP

Crisler can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyCrisler can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Not sure it should be built in as the average user has enough ways to lose their data, they do not need one more.

#SapphireNation
Crisler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3, 2007, 11:45 AM   #3
Shadowless
Deez Nuts

Shadowless doesn't need no stinkin' badgesShadowless doesn't need no stinkin' badgesShadowless doesn't need no stinkin' badgesShadowless doesn't need no stinkin' badgesShadowless doesn't need no stinkin' badgesShadowless doesn't need no stinkin' badgesShadowless doesn't need no stinkin' badgesShadowless doesn't need no stinkin' badgesShadowless doesn't need no stinkin' badges

I don't use BitLocker, why would I find a use for this?

And i fully agree with crisler.
Desktop - MSI MPG Gungnir 111M | MSI MAG Z590 Tomahawk Wifi | Intel Core i7 11700K | Corsair H100i RGB Pro XT | 2x16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200 | 1TB Intel 670p | 2TB Samsung 860 EVO | PNY GeForce RTX 3070 XLR8 Gaming REVEL | Sound BlasterX AE-5 Plus | SeaSonic Focus GX-750 | Acer ET322QU | Windows 10 Pro
Shadowless is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old May 3, 2007, 11:58 AM   #4
Jas420221
Banned

Jas420221 is still being judged by the masses

OFN (though not a repost)...

This should be available to the consumer. It just needs a warning screen before you 'erase' the data. Thats all the cpmany needs to cover its arse and inform their customer.
Jas420221 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3, 2007, 12:32 PM   #5
Crisler
SAPPHIRE PR REP

Crisler can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyCrisler can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jas420221 View Post
OFN (though not a repost)...

This should be available to the consumer. It just needs a warning screen before you 'erase' the data. Thats all the cpmany needs to cover its arse and inform their customer.
You really think the warnings matter? Look at smoking for YEARS we have been told that it will kill you, yet millions smoke and then turn around and want to blame the companies. Speed limit signs are posted everywhere and yet people speed and then get mad at the cop for the ticket and state for the speed limit sign.

People are STUPID for the most part unless it is something they place a high priority on. For us that is computing so to us this seems an excellent idea. however the majority of the people out there, warning or not will mess up thier system then blame the computer maker.

#SapphireNation
Crisler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3, 2007, 01:25 PM   #6
Jas420221
Banned

Jas420221 is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crisler View Post
You really think the warnings matter? Look at smoking for YEARS we have been told that it will kill you, yet millions smoke and then turn around and want to blame the companies. Speed limit signs are posted everywhere and yet people speed and then get mad at the cop for the ticket and state for the speed limit sign.

People are STUPID for the most part unless it is something they place a high priority on. For us that is computing so to us this seems an excellent idea. however the majority of the people out there, warning or not will mess up thier system then blame the computer maker.
No but it covers the companies liability which is all that would matter to me in this case. Im not an uneducated user. I make my money off them...
Jas420221 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3, 2007, 11:29 PM   #7
CornPopz
Radeon R700

CornPopz is still being judged by the masses

OFN x2. Secure erase takes so much longer than normal erasing on my MBP, and I'm never really deleting anything sensitive so its not of much use for me. There's also some freeware programs that just write zeroes to the disk where your files used to be...which is pretty much what he's talking about there.
Lian-Li PC-A10B | XClio 650W PSU | Crystalfontz 635 display
Windows Vista Business 64-bit

Lenovo X61T | 1.6Ghz Core 2 Duo | 2GB DDR2 RAM | 120GB HD
CornPopz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4, 2007, 08:46 AM   #8
DaJMasta
Baffoonist

DaJMasta doesn't need no stinkin' badgesDaJMasta doesn't need no stinkin' badgesDaJMasta doesn't need no stinkin' badgesDaJMasta doesn't need no stinkin' badgesDaJMasta doesn't need no stinkin' badgesDaJMasta doesn't need no stinkin' badgesDaJMasta doesn't need no stinkin' badgesDaJMasta doesn't need no stinkin' badgesDaJMasta doesn't need no stinkin' badges

Quote:
Originally Posted by vazel View Post
Yea this is awesome too bad the feature isn't built into Windows like it is with Mac. http://blogs.zdnet.com/storage/?p=129
But why would you need too? If you really have such incriminating stuff on your drive I think you should have it found.

But regardless, it says in the article that there's a free program, boot and nuke, which will do this. There's really no advantage of it being packaged with the OS.
Desktop: Intel Core i7 7770k : 16GB EVGA DDR4 2400 : Gigabyte GTX 1070 Ti Windforce X2 : Gigabyte GA-H270-WIFI : AudioQuest DragonFly DAC : Samsung SM961 NVMe 1TB SSD : Corsair Builder 500W PSU : Samsung 1440p 32" Monitor : Klipsch Promedia 2.1 : Windows 10 Pro x64
Tablet: Microsoft Surface Pro 4 : Intel Core i5-6300U : 8GB DDR3 : Intel 520 Integrated : 256GB SSD : 12.3" 2736x1824 display : Windows 10 Pro x64
HTPC: Intel Core i3 3225 : HD 4000 integrated : 8GB Samsung DDR3 1600 : Gigabyte H77N-Wifi : 120GB Sandisk Extreme SSD : 80W power brick and picoPSU150 XT : Integrated HD Audio : Scepter 32" LCD TV : Logitech Z313 2.1 : Windows 7 Pro x64

DaJMasta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4, 2007, 09:18 AM   #9
moshpit
Resident Mac Hater

moshpit once held a door open for a complete strangermoshpit once held a door open for a complete strangermoshpit once held a door open for a complete strangermoshpit once held a door open for a complete stranger

Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaJMasta View Post
But why would you need too? If you really have such incriminating stuff on your drive I think you should have it found.

But regardless, it says in the article that there's a free program, boot and nuke, which will do this. There's really no advantage of it being packaged with the OS.
It's not a matter of incrimination, your totally viewing this from the wrong angle. It's about NDA's and not wanting an old hard drive you let go of to expose company or business secrets. Those kind of secrets make or break a company. It has nothing to do with criminal behavior, it has to do with corporate security.
Old May 4, 2007, 12:43 PM   #10
lumpyhed
Radeon Arctic Islands

lumpyhed once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'lumpyhed once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'lumpyhed once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'lumpyhed once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'lumpyhed once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'lumpyhed once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

Not to mention identity theft. Thats why i keep and run anything with personal data within truecrypt containers so that a thief/disk buyer couldnt access my stuff even if they found the files.
lumpyhed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4, 2007, 05:39 PM   #11
SteadVéx
Radeon Sea Islands

SteadVéx can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultySteadVéx can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

i'm sure just making a paging file the size of hte drive then leaving 2 weights on your keyboard, one on the windows key, and one on the e key would eventually write enough data to hte harddrive to get rid of any previously deleted data..., i mean you don't need special software for that!

and don't bios's still offer the low level format option?
SteadVéx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4, 2007, 06:01 PM   #12
moshpit
Resident Mac Hater

moshpit once held a door open for a complete strangermoshpit once held a door open for a complete strangermoshpit once held a door open for a complete strangermoshpit once held a door open for a complete stranger

Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteadVéx View Post
i'm sure just making a paging file the size of hte drive then leaving 2 weights on your keyboard, one on the windows key, and one on the e key would eventually write enough data to hte harddrive to get rid of any previously deleted data..., i mean you don't need special software for that!

and don't bios's still offer the low level format option?
Nope. Low level format should never have been in the end users hands to begin with and manufacturers have realized that finally. No new motherboards come with that anymore.
Old May 6, 2007, 08:42 AM   #13
cbsboyer
ATI EGA Wonder

cbsboyer once held a door open for a complete strangercbsboyer once held a door open for a complete strangercbsboyer once held a door open for a complete strangercbsboyer once held a door open for a complete stranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by moshpit View Post
Nope. Low level format should never have been in the end users hands to begin with and manufacturers have realized that finally. No new motherboards come with that anymore.
Agreed, the BIOS low level format was only for MFM/RLL drives and did it badly anyway. IDE drives just ignore the BIOS low level format commands anyway (they just do a clear on the sectors and don't rewrite the format).

I have to laugh at the reference to the NSA - the article claims that they say a single zero overwrite at the drive level is enough to be secure, but I know that at least three overwrites by functionally identical software are required as per the spec. In all honesty, one zero pass over all sectors is enough to prevent any data recovery regardless of where the command is issued...period.

cbsboyer

"Relationships are like dormant volcanoes, most of the time things are fine or manageable but there's always a chance she blows molten crazy all over you." - ice
cbsboyer is offline   Reply With Quote