Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Community and Site Discussions » Distributed Computing (Team Rage3D)
Rage3D Subscribe FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Distributed Computing (Team Rage3D) Home of the Team Rage3D [email protected] project. Get [email protected] info, download information, and details on how to join the Team. Team Rage3D progress updates posted here daily.

Old Nov 12, 2003, 07:52 PM   #1
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
Compufreak
More PUDAK than PUDAK

Compufreak is still being judged by the masses

Question Best for folding?

What would be the best CPU and/or Mobo for folding? I'm gonna be putting a some systems together, and money is no object - although let's be smart about it. Processor X that costs $1000 and does a WU in 4 mins probably wouldn't be better than multiple Processor Y that costs $250 each and does it in 8 mins.

The P4/Xeon with HT seems nice (even though I'm an AMD fanboy) since you can run several cores on one proc. Anyone have any experience with a wider selection of CPUs?

I'd like to hear your opinions

Originally posted by Hanners
I think you need to call Said53 for help. If anyone can make a sentence out of every word, it's him.

Originally posted by RadagastZ
Somewhere along the lines, this thread turned into a underage gay milksechs thread...at which point the hilarity increased x1000.
Compufreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 12, 2003, 09:32 PM   #2
KJ
Classic Gamer

KJ is still being judged by the masses

Subscriber

From what I have heard, AMD is the folding king. I think it's because it's got the shorter pipelines and can run the math quicker than the P4's lengthier pipelines. Just a guess.

AND IT'S FOLDING FOR RAGE3D!
KJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 12, 2003, 10:32 PM   #3
Compufreak
More PUDAK than PUDAK

Compufreak is still being judged by the masses

Yeah, that's what I've heard too. What kind of data does the WUs comprise of, integer or floating point? It would seem that SSE2 makes quite a bit of difference. Too bad my 2600+ Tbred killed a 95% complete WU with -forceasm; it was running a lot faster with it.

Anyone have any opinions on the Opteron or Athlon 64 FX in regards to folding?

Edit: Just received a Tinker WU for the first time. Now I understand why people hate it so much

Originally posted by Hanners
I think you need to call Said53 for help. If anyone can make a sentence out of every word, it's him.

Originally posted by RadagastZ
Somewhere along the lines, this thread turned into a underage gay milksechs thread...at which point the hilarity increased x1000.

Last edited by Compufreak : Nov 13, 2003 at 12:02 AM.
Compufreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Nov 13, 2003, 06:15 PM   #4
Origin
Radeon R520

Origin is still being judged by the masses

I think folding is all floating point calculations. Don't know anything about the 64 bit processors folding power. If you go this route, let us know how it turns out.

People fold with what they have. AMDs are known to be faster.

I fold at home on a P4 2.4C HT processor, OC to 3.12 GHz. Runs quite well for me.

Join Rage3D Folding!
Origin is offline   Reply With Quote