Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Community and Site Discussions » Distributed Computing (Team Rage3D)
Rage3D Subscribe FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Distributed Computing (Team Rage3D) Home of the Team Rage3D [email protected] project. Get [email protected] info, download information, and details on how to join the Team. Team Rage3D progress updates posted here daily.

Old Apr 17, 2005, 04:07 PM   #2
ShaidarHaran
Radeon Arctic Islands

ShaidarHaran once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'ShaidarHaran once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'ShaidarHaran once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'ShaidarHaran once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'ShaidarHaran once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'ShaidarHaran once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

Nope. Cry for attention elsewhere. If you don't want to fold then don't do it. I'm not going to beg the likes of you to fold.
Old Apr 17, 2005, 04:18 PM   #3
DorXtar
SMILE!

DorXtar can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyDorXtar can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Because I still care. About you, about folding, about life.
2 Peter 3:3) For YOU know this first, that in the last days there will come ridiculers with their ridicule, proceeding according to their own desires 4) and saying: “Where is this promised presence of his? Why, from the day our forefathers fell asleep [in death], all things are continuing exactly as from creation’s beginning.” 5) For, according to their wish, this fact escapes their notice [...]

8) However, let this one fact not be escaping YOUR notice, beloved ones, that one day is with Jehovah as a thousand years and a thousand years as one day. 9) Jehovah is not slow respecting his promise, as some people consider slowness, but he is patient with YOU because he does not desire any to be destroyed but desires all to attain to repentance.
Like 12Bass says, critical thinking and the scientific method are probably the best tools we have to avoid it. (bias)

However, this method relies on repeatable, falsifiable hypotheses and theories. Only an extremely small spectrum of time and space can be rendered into these, or at least a good approximation of such.

-RFtinkerer

“The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge.” ― Daniel J. Boorstin
DorXtar is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Apr 17, 2005, 04:30 PM   #4
Lupine
Administrator

Lupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at best

Why are you still folding? Probably depends on why you started in the first place. I can't speak for you, only myself, and I started folding because researching protein related diseases, and how to understand them and combat them, is a damn good cause and the one way I have found that I can actively participate. It doesn't hurt that I am hyper competitive, so the points aspect is a blast as well.

Your reasoning my be different. You need to remember why you started and see if that has changed. I sure hope it hasn't. Many of our members Fold for the team yet don't participate on the boards. I appreciate those who participate here in the forum, but that certainly doesn't lessen my appreciation for each one of our team members. You guys make the team, and losing even one of you would be a big disappointment.
Lupine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 17, 2005, 04:31 PM   #5
sCoTcH
Radeon Evergreen

sCoTcH is still being judged by the masses

because everytime you stop folding

GOD kills a kitten
on a serious note because i care.
sCoTcH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 17, 2005, 04:43 PM   #6
XSBagage
while the world crumbles

XSBagage can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyXSBagage can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Because you want to beat HOW???
Old Apr 17, 2005, 04:46 PM   #7
311Sam
look for The Light

311Sam is still being judged by the masses

hmm

i think i will kill [email protected] just for the summer. its to hot and i dont get free electrcity anymore. i would have to leave the ac on 24/7 and that will cost money. but otherwise ill only have to run the ac when im home

i guess ill be back in october or soemthing
I baptize you with water, but he will baptize you with the Holy Spirit!
Make no friendship with an angry man; and with a furious man thou shalt not go:
But my faithfulness and my mercy shall be with him: and in my name shall his horn be exalted.
You will live in joy and peace.
And now, little children, abide in him; that, when he shall appear, we may have confidence, and not be ashamed before him at his coming.
You must not covet your neighbor's house. You must not covet your neighbor's wife, male or female servant, ox or donkey, or anything else that belongs to your neighbor.
311Sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 17, 2005, 04:51 PM   #8
XSBagage
while the world crumbles

XSBagage can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyXSBagage can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

5 months out?
Just a 17k gap between us...
You're going down!
Old Apr 17, 2005, 04:51 PM   #9
Lupine
Administrator

Lupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at best

Quote:
Originally Posted by 311Sam
hmm

i think i will kill [email protected] just for the summer. its to hot and i dont get free electrcity anymore. i would have to leave the ac on 24/7 and that will cost money. but otherwise ill only have to run the ac when im home

i guess ill be back in october or soemthing
Well, the add'l heat output produced by folding isn't that much an increase over what your PC already pushes out. If that is what you're looking at doing, you might consider leaving the client running whenever the system is turned on, and just turn the box off when you're not using it (or just at night). If WU deadlines become an issue (they shouldn't even if you're not folding 24/7), than you can request timeless WUs.
Old Apr 17, 2005, 04:55 PM   #10
Lupine
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by XSBagage
5 months out?
Just a 17k gap between us...
You're going down!
When I first started Folding for Rage3D, another user and I started on about a year long race. It was fun as hell and, after pulling a bit ahead of me, suddenly he up and quit. Passing him was particularly disappointing.
Old Apr 17, 2005, 05:07 PM   #11
XSBagage
while the world crumbles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lupine
When I first started Folding for Rage3D, another user and I started on about a year long race. It was fun as hell and, after pulling a bit ahead of me, suddenly he up and quit. Passing him was particularly disappointing.
I felt the same passing k1r1 (only recently) but I never battled with 311sam, and he is set to return so it's different.
Old Apr 17, 2005, 07:15 PM   #12
311Sam
look for The Light

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lupine
Well, the add'l heat output produced by folding isn't that much an increase over what your PC already pushes out. If that is what you're looking at doing, you might consider leaving the client running whenever the system is turned on, and just turn the box off when you're not using it (or just at night). If WU deadlines become an issue (they shouldn't even if you're not folding 24/7), than you can request timeless WUs.

im not talkin about the computer heating my house. im talking about if i dont run my ac to keep the house cold, then my cpu will turn into molten lead

my dual vantec tornados just cant compete with no ac
But my faithfulness and my mercy shall be with him: and in my name shall his horn be exalted.
And now, little children, abide in him; that, when he shall appear, we may have confidence, and not be ashamed before him at his coming.
You must not covet your neighbor's house. You must not covet your neighbor's wife, male or female servant, ox or donkey, or anything else that belongs to your neighbor.
Old Apr 17, 2005, 07:33 PM   #13
ATi VGA Wonder

guest once held a door open for a complete strangerguest once held a door open for a complete strangerguest once held a door open for a complete strangerguest once held a door open for a complete stranger

Holy poo, you have a mobile XP chip. Crank the voltage down from 1.9V to the stock voltage and stock clock speed. Then go back to overclock mode when you need to heat your place next fall. Do you have the 35W or 45W mobile 2400+?

I understand your concern with heat with your current config.
guest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 17, 2005, 07:43 PM   #14
Lupine
Administrator

Quote:
im not talkin about the computer heating my house. im talking about if i dont run my ac to keep the house cold, then my cpu will turn into molten lead

Gotcha. I've had to follow guest's advice and clock down both of my home rigs during the summer myself. We don't have AC (generally don't need in the NW) and my office is non-strategically located in the room over our garage. Hotest room in the house even w/o the computers going.

Shame our cellar is too inconvenient a location to house the boxes. Pretty damn cold down there year round!
Old Apr 17, 2005, 08:09 PM   #15
311Sam
look for The Light

Quote:
Originally Posted by guest
Holy poo, you have a mobile XP chip. Crank the voltage down from 1.9V to the stock voltage and stock clock speed. Then go back to overclock mode when you need to heat your place next fall. Do you have the 35W or 45W mobile 2400+?

I understand your concern with heat with your current config.
true but id have to clock it back up for gaming
Old Apr 17, 2005, 08:32 PM   #16
ATi VGA Wonder

guest once held a door open for a complete strangerguest once held a door open for a complete strangerguest once held a door open for a complete strangerguest once held a door open for a complete stranger

Are there really any games out that need more than a 2400+? If you have your RAM voltage increased that will generate additional heat so you may want to take a look there too.
guest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 17, 2005, 09:20 PM   #17
night
Radeon Arctic Islands

night can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultynight can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Quote:
true but id have to clock it back up for gaming
which you can do with software.
i have a barton at 2.42 gig, a 1.4gig paly, and a 800 duron running 24/7. and fixing to add a fourth.
although im in a smallish apartmant, it doesnt get that hot. we have the a/c off during the day. and it helps a lot to cover any south facing windows.
Old Apr 18, 2005, 12:24 AM   #18
DorXtar
SMILE!

DorXtar can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyDorXtar can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Folding without flourescent bulbs = $120 a month electricity bill

Folding with floursecent bulbs = $80 a month electricity bill

I've been folding for so long, I don't know what the cost per month would be without computers on.

There are ways to fold 24/7 without hurting your wallet.
2 Peter 3:3) For YOU know this first, that in the last days there will come ridiculers with their ridicule, proceeding according to their own desires 4) and saying: “Where is this promised presence of his? Why, from the day our forefathers fell asleep [in death], all things are continuing exactly as from creation’s beginning.” 5) For, according to their wish, this fact escapes their notice [...]

8) However, let this one fact not be escaping YOUR notice, beloved ones, that one day is with Jehovah as a thousand years and a thousand years as one day. 9) Jehovah is not slow respecting his promise, as some people consider slowness, but he is patient with YOU because he does not desire any to be destroyed but desires all to attain to repentance.
Like 12Bass says, critical thinking and the scientific method are probably the best tools we have to avoid it. (bias)

However, this method relies on repeatable, falsifiable hypotheses and theories. Only an extremely small spectrum of time and space can be rendered into these, or at least a good approximation of such.

-RFtinkerer

“The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge.” ― Daniel J. Boorstin
DorXtar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 18, 2005, 02:02 AM   #19
XSBagage
while the world crumbles

Quote:
Originally Posted by DorXtar
There are ways to fold 24/7 without hurting your wallet.
Stealing electricity from the neighbours?
Old Apr 18, 2005, 10:04 AM   #20
absolutefunk
Insert witty remark here

absolutefunk is still being judged by the masses

Quote:

You live in Texas too right? I'm running into that same prob myself. And it's not even my CPU. Mine's running in the mid 50's right now, which for a mobile XP is fine, however my room is already so dang hot I think my instability is coming from heat elsewhere. My case temps are getting into the mid 40's, and considering my room ambients are not much less than that, I have no clue how to get my system running any cooler on the inside. The AC even when on does not cool my room very well (I think it's cause my room faces the sun). I'm going to try lowering my FSB to stock and upping my multiplier. If that doesn't work then I'll have to reduce output. It *could* be my PSU too. those 4.84 drops on the +5v rail seem alittle more frequent. Either way this summer looks like a scorcher. I'll prolly lose at least one HD for sure

-Brian

AXP-M 2400+ AQYHA; [email protected]
Asus A7N8X-E 1012 trats cpc=on
Crucial 1024mb PC3200; [email protected] (3-3-3-8)
Thermalright SP97 /w Delta 80mm
1X WD 2500JD
1X WD 600BB
Antec P160 /w TruePower 430w
ATi Radeon AIW 9800pro
Adaptec 2490uw SCSI /w 2x Plextor CD/CD-R

Folding @ Home: the only useful way to use that extra CPU... and possible GPU... time!!
absolutefunk is offline   Reply With Quote