Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Gaming and Computing Forums » PC Gaming
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

PC Gaming Discuss all PC games, past and present. Talk about your favorite games, share tips and strategies, and anything else relating to computer games.

Old Apr 19, 2021, 08:13 PM   #91
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
azalea
Radeon R420

azalea once held a door open for a complete strangerazalea once held a door open for a complete strangerazalea once held a door open for a complete strangerazalea once held a door open for a complete stranger

Bah, in the UK we had ports from the arcade game (not the same as NES). C64 Bionic Commando was a good one, but the Amiga version was crap.
Old Apr 20, 2021, 01:55 AM   #92
ugly
Radeon R600

ugly can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyugly can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meteor_of_War View Post
I might try the challenge levels tonight. I believe i unlocked all of them.

If you try the NES version you will be surprised at how faithful a remake this was. The level design, even the controls feel nearly identical, just with a more modern graphics overhaul.

Only gripe i had with the game is i had to replace the game's .exe with a community made one because it wouldn't launch for me, and also install a legacy Physx driver or i would crash at start up with an error. Then i also needed to edit the resolution in a game system file or I'd just get a black screen. Sounds ridiculous just to get this game to run but all that was still actually worth it in the end. Excellent game.
The later challenge levels get tough. It makes you move in a way that the normal game doesn't. You don't need close to the swinging skills that you do to play through the normal game. The last few challenge levels really make you understand the mechanics of the swinging. There were a few that I needed to look up on YouTube to figure out.

I played the normal game on hard, thinking I'd be a pro. I got my ass handed to me on the first level. Oddly, the first level is one of the hardest because you don't have any weapons or items and it involves a lot of enemies above you. The game sort of gets easier as you advance.

I'm playing the game on Linux through Proton. I didn't have to do anything with the exe file, but it did require an extra step of installing Physx to get it to work. Unfortunately, the same can't be said about the 'new' Bionic Commando game. That one won't start at all on Linux. But I heard that game kind of sucked.
ugly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 20, 2021, 07:55 AM   #93
Meteor_of_War
USA-holes

Meteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppers

I got that 3D Bionic Commando game as well since i never played it. Steam had both as a bundle deal for like $3.

I played the tutorial and first level. I am kind of intrigued so I'm going to give it a shot. Like the original game the swinging mechanic is a different kind of gameplay not many games offer, so its something new to mess around with.
Meteor_of_War is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old May 1, 2021, 12:12 AM   #94
ugly
Radeon R600

ugly can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyugly can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

I beat it last week. The last level is a bit of a grind.

Since I'm still having fun with it, I decided to go for the last medal in this game (no Steam achievements on this, only in-game medals). So I'm doing a run on Super Hard difficulty.

The diifficulty name is no lie. You're dead in two hits. Enemies respawn after leaving the edge of the screen. They shoot like crazy. And your weapon is so weak, it's basically a pea shooter.

You have to get good with timing your shots and reflecting the enemies bullets with the bionic arm. The bosses take a long time because they just soak up so much damage. And it's better to just swing past most enemies instead of engaging.

As before, the first level is really tough because you have no items. The second level (Area 04) with the infinite infantry boss is brutal. That long hallway with a bunch of enemies before the boss room takes some skill and luck.
Old May 1, 2021, 07:43 AM   #95
Meteor_of_War
USA-holes

Meteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppers

Yeesh. Yeah that difficulty sounds really hardcore, i don't think i have it in me to try it. Good luck!
Old May 14, 2021, 02:01 AM   #96
ugly
Radeon R600

Finally did it. That was difficult. Super Hard was really tough at first. Got a bit easier towards the middle once you increase your arsenal and get the hang of things. Then the last level is brutal.

Now I think I'll take a shot at the Castlevania Anniversary Collection to continue some nostalgia gaming.
Old May 14, 2021, 09:28 AM   #97
Meteor_of_War
USA-holes

Congrats. I bet you would breeze through the normal difficulty now with ease.

That Castlevania collection has a bunch of greats in there. But too bad they couldn't include the two best of the series, Rondo of Blood and Symphony of the Night. They must be saving those for separate releases.

[EDIT] Ahh, just checked and yes they re-released the The Dracula X Chronicles on current gen consoles which should still include the original versions as unlockable content - unless they removed that.
Old May 15, 2021, 12:19 AM   #98
ugly
Radeon R600

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meteor_of_War View Post
Congrats. I bet you would breeze through the normal difficulty now with ease.

That Castlevania collection has a bunch of greats in there. But too bad they couldn't include the two best of the series, Rondo of Blood and Symphony of the Night. They must be saving those for separate releases.

[EDIT] Ahh, just checked and yes they re-released the The Dracula X Chronicles on current gen consoles which should still include the original versions as unlockable content - unless they removed that.
One issue with the Castlevania Collection is that playing through Proton on Linux results in the game crashing when you attempt to do a save state. So, unless I beat a game in one sitting, it looks like I'm going really old school with passwords.

For me, the big nostalgia ones in Castlevania were 2 and 3, since I had those for the NES.

Still, Rondo of Blood was really good. And SOTN was amazing. For some reason I only played SOTN once.

But it makes sense that they might do a second collection release. There are a lot of Castlevania games that they could pick from.