Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Community and Site Discussions » Off Topic Lounge » Home Theaters and Photography
Rage3D Subscribe FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Home Theaters and Photography Discussion forum for Home Theater enthusiasts and newbies. Also the place to discuss and post your photography ventures and queries.

Old Jan 20, 2010, 12:52 PM   #1
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
erek
Banned

erek is still being judged by the masses

Flat Panel Display 3-D ready TVs to ship 1.2 million units in 2010

3-D TV is the new HDTV.

LONDON — LED backlighting and 240-Hz refresh will enable feature developments in televisions, including 3-D vision, according to market research firm DisplaySearch (Austin, Texas).
DisplaySearch forecasts that 3-D ready TVs will grow from 0.2 million units in 2009 to 1.2 million in 2010 and hit 15.6 million units in 2013.

"The critical Blu-ray 3-D specification is written, but now comes the hard work of securing interoperability. Consumers will want reassurance that such things as 3-D glasses will interoperate between brands," said Paul Gray, director of TV electronics research, at DisplaySearch, in a statement. "We have seen 3-D crazes before, and sustained attention to detail is important to prevent disillusionment from starting," he added.

Source: EETimes
erek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21, 2010, 02:16 PM   #2
RedQueen
Radeon Volcanic Islands

RedQueen is still being judged by the masses

When are they going to come out with decent size 3D screens (without the need for glasses).

kinda interested in seeing how this one fairs, as I may be able to get my hands on one

http://shopfujifilm.com/detail/FUJ+15983180

RedQueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21, 2010, 03:25 PM   #3
Cartigan
Banned

Cartigan is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedQueen View Post
When are they going to come out with decent size 3D screens (without the need for glasses).

kinda interested in seeing how this one fairs, as I may be able to get my hands on one

http://shopfujifilm.com/detail/FUJ+15983180
They could already do it with at least LCD tvs already. Theoretically anyway.
Cartigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Jan 26, 2010, 09:58 AM   #4
HiThere
salty cracker

HiThere is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cartigan View Post
They could already do it with at least LCD tvs already. Theoretically anyway.
This is true, but the method involves severe limits on viewing distance, angle...and I don't see how they could get around that without bringing differentiation between L-eye/R-eye info to the viewer's position (glasses).
Old Jan 26, 2010, 10:04 AM   #5
vitocorleone
Radeon Arctic Islands

vitocorleone is still being judged by the masses

3d without glasses or the tech will never come into my home (or, or that matter, be anything more than a novelty/niche market).

Putting that many tvs out there will hopefully encourage continued evolution of the tech given some amount of consumer demand (plus the growing success in theaters).
Old Jan 27, 2010, 08:27 AM   #6
Cartigan
Banned

Cartigan is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiThere View Post
This is true, but the method involves severe limits on viewing distance, angle...and I don't see how they could get around that without bringing differentiation between L-eye/R-eye info to the viewer's position (glasses).
Maybe we are thinking of different things. A 240Hz tv could display two images at 120Hz offset just enough to produce a 3D image. Like those fake 3d gifs.
Cartigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2010, 09:01 PM   #7
HiThere
salty cracker

HiThere is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cartigan View Post
Maybe we are thinking of different things. A 240Hz tv could display two images at 120Hz offset just enough to produce a 3D image. Like those fake 3d gifs.
Yeah, but they suck at 3D without moving the image like a schizoid crackhead...no good for movies, that. I thought you were talking about the LCD with angled surfaces, like those "hologram" mouse pads, that they came out with a while back.
Old Feb 1, 2010, 10:56 PM   #8
MATA7
Radeon HD HIS 5850

MATA7 is still being judged by the masses

if i want 3d i got outside
Old Feb 2, 2010, 12:15 AM   #9
OzzieBloke
& OzzieDogs

OzzieBloke once jumped the English ChannelOzzieBloke once jumped the English ChannelOzzieBloke once jumped the English ChannelOzzieBloke once jumped the English ChannelOzzieBloke once jumped the English ChannelOzzieBloke once jumped the English ChannelOzzieBloke once jumped the English ChannelOzzieBloke once jumped the English ChannelOzzieBloke once jumped the English ChannelOzzieBloke once jumped the English ChannelOzzieBloke once jumped the English Channel

Quote:
Originally Posted by MATA7 View Post
if i want 3d i got outside
Yes, but that's mundane and boring 3D. I've yet to step outside to come face to face with a dragon, Terminator, Robocop, or hot and sweaty DVDA session.
OzzieBloke is offline   Reply With Quote