Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Gaming and Computing Forums » PC Gaming
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

PC Gaming Discuss all PC games, past and present. Talk about your favorite games, share tips and strategies, and anything else relating to computer games.

Old Aug 5, 2004, 02:04 AM   #1
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
Blumenkohl
Amish Farmer

Blumenkohl is still being judged by the masses

Default Having no music made this game underwhelming...

POSSIBLE SPOILERS MAY FOLLOW...

This was a truly terrible decision on the side of id. I know they were shooting for atmosphere, immersion, etc. but in their efforts, they made us immersed in an undramatic world.

I'm not saying there should be a full rock n' roll soundtrack accompanying the game. No. But the point is, there are styles of music which would have HELPED the game. A little bit of ambient music, dark and gloomy, a few heavy beats of brass and percussion to make you REALLY jump, a gothic choir for Hell, some ice rain and creepy crawly music for the "spiders" etc.

Music alone can induce fear...heck I still get chills listening to Ave Satani from 'The Omen'. Speaking of which, that would have worked so awesomely in the Hell level. You can listen to a low-quality sample here.
The Farmer Formerly Known on Rage3D as Amish Farmer
Blumenkohl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 5, 2004, 02:06 AM   #2
Niec
Trailblazer

Niec is still being judged by the masses

AFAIK there is music in the game, and it is all ambient.

Just look in the pk4 files.

Desktop 1
Athlon XP 2000 :: 512 MB PC2100 :: 8K3A+ :: 9800 Pro :: Windows XP

Desktop 2
Barton 2500 :: 1024 MB PC3500 :: 8RDA3+ :: 9700 Pro :: Windows XP
Niec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 5, 2004, 02:08 AM   #3
Blumenkohl
Amish Farmer

Blumenkohl is still being judged by the masses

Yes, I saw those but they only play 10% of the entire game. The rest is silence and screams....
The Farmer Formerly Known on Rage3D as Amish Farmer
Blumenkohl is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Aug 5, 2004, 02:10 AM   #4
AsDDff
Resident EviL

AsDDff is still being judged by the masses

id should have an MP expansion pack downloadable and include some music from trent... that would be the most kick ass MP experince ever
Old Aug 5, 2004, 02:31 AM   #5
vhold
Radeon R100

vhold is still being judged by the masses

I think that the rare occasional use of music has been absolutely perfect for this game. This isn't Serious Sam where you really need music to set the pace. This game is about setting your own pace based on how you relate to the environment personally.
vhold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 5, 2004, 03:14 AM   #6
jeffmdaemon
Ex-ATI Gamer

jeffmdaemon is still being judged by the masses

I'm quite dissapointed in doom3's "music" as well. I've heard games that try the ambient thing, but they atleast still play music, it's just usualy a real time fade between several versions of a tune. I would have atleast liked for some kind of accompanyment to fade in when a trap is triggered and im fighting monsters.

Also whats with the intro? That thing was encoded at like 64kbps mp3. That was possibly one of the worst sounding music tracks (sound quality wise) I have heard in years.
jeffmdaemon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 5, 2004, 03:29 AM   #7
ErrorS
gfdsa

ErrorS is still being judged by the masses

i like the no music thing. though i dont see why they couldn't have included music for those of you who want it. not very hard for me to go to my sound settings to disable music

www.eve-online.com
ErrorS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 5, 2004, 03:43 AM   #8
emailthatguy
Radeon R520

emailthatguy is still being judged by the masses

when you have speakers like mine on a soundcard like mine, trust me. you dont even notice the no music thing, the whispers and sounds are truly chilling.

Athlon64 X2 6000+ Black Edition | 4gb ram | 500gb Western Digital | Visiontek 4850
emailthatguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 5, 2004, 04:41 AM   #9
KAC
All ur gays r belong 2 me

KAC glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsKAC glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsKAC glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsKAC glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsKAC glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsKAC glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsKAC glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsKAC glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsKAC glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsKAC glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsKAC glows with the radiance of a thousand suns

The game is fine with the music it has.. it does have music in parts of the game.. but usually the sounds do quite a job for creating the atmosphere.
KAC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 5, 2004, 05:48 AM   #10
nutcrackr
OT Moderator

nutcrackr can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundnutcrackr can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundnutcrackr can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundnutcrackr can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundnutcrackr can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundnutcrackr can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundnutcrackr can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundnutcrackr can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundnutcrackr can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundnutcrackr can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundnutcrackr can leap small-ish buildings in a single bound

The music would have killed lots of the scares for me. The mechanical music or ambient music is done nicely I think. Initially I was jumping when doors closed and when pipes discharged with a hiss. Music would probably be good once you get over the scare factor(or if you don't get scared), and I certainly could switch it off.
nutcrackr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 5, 2004, 06:37 AM   #11
seiji-kun
Radeon R600

seiji-kun is still being judged by the masses

Would you rather have the midi music from the original doom? Like a few have said, having music would have detracted from the atmosphere they were trying to set. To me, I think there is nothing more creepy than complete silence, so not having to deal with an endlessly looping track of music during the entire level keeps me engrossed in that world.

Now, having this "battle music" that plays only when monsters appears would
be a little cheesy to me. It's like when I played the retail version of Painkiller the first time - I was shocked to hear this battle music fade in whenever enemies were around, as the demo didn't have it. But cheesy fits with Painkiller. Not with Doom 3, in my opinion. I can just imagine that overly compressed intro song playing each time an imp teleports behind me - it would be amusing for a while, but eventually it would get old. Not that the song is bad or anything, it just doesn't work when actually playing Doom 3 singleplayer. But for multiplayer, I think some adrenaline pumping music would be quite effective.
seiji-kun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 5, 2004, 06:43 AM   #12
smthmlk
Radeon R300

smthmlk is still being judged by the masses

the reason this game has no real 'soundtrack' like traditional games is because it's trying to scare you. the point of this game is not to be PainKiller2 or anything, it's meant to be downright scary. I think if someone can't appreciate the sound/music in d3, they should get a good, expensive pair of closed-ear headphones (like sennheisers or osmething) or a nice, nice full-size stereo system and then play... it makes all the difference.of course, it's all subjective, people like different things. I think id got it spot on how it is
smthmlk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 5, 2004, 06:44 AM   #13
Crawdaddy79
Radeon 8500

Crawdaddy79 can recite pi backwardsCrawdaddy79 can recite pi backwardsCrawdaddy79 can recite pi backwardsCrawdaddy79 can recite pi backwardsCrawdaddy79 can recite pi backwardsCrawdaddy79 can recite pi backwardsCrawdaddy79 can recite pi backwards

I can't remember what level it was... But I turned right down a hallway (yeah, that narrows it down..) grabbed an item, and I heard monsters spawn further out behind me.. (it was in the first third of the game, I think)

And then this techno-ish.. Bloobbloobbloobl music started playing real low.

That marked the first (and last) moment I actually got into the game.

I wish they would have had more moments like that.

If you don't like music, you usually have the ability to turn it all the way down so that you don't have to hear it. In Doom 3 you don't get that option.
Crawdaddy79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 5, 2004, 06:53 AM   #14
Trrgger
Radeon R100

Trrgger is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amish Farmer
POSSIBLE SPOILERS MAY FOLLOW...

This was a truly terrible decision on the side of id. I know they were shooting for atmosphere, immersion, etc. but in their efforts, they made us immersed in an undramatic world.

I'm not saying there should be a full rock n' roll soundtrack accompanying the game. No. But the point is, there are styles of music which would have HELPED the game. A little bit of ambient music, dark and gloomy, a few heavy beats of brass and percussion to make you REALLY jump, a gothic choir for Hell, some ice rain and creepy crawly music for the "spiders" etc.

Music alone can induce fear...heck I still get chills listening to Ave Satani from 'The Omen'. Speaking of which, that would have worked so awesomely in the Hell level. You can listen to a low-quality sample here.

Dont tell anyone I told you. The word on the street is ID cut a few sound corners becuase the 3d engine is just too overwhelming on the rest of the system. See any other corners cut? Textures?. It seems JC wanted good lighting more than anything else. Shadows in particular.
9700 Pro 325mhz Core-8x1 / 310mhz Mem-256bit
LG Studioworks 775N-1024x768(32bit) 72.0Hz
Trrgger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 5, 2004, 08:59 AM   #15
bishuse
tamashii

bishuse is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trrgger
Dont tell anyone I told you. The word on the street is ID cut a few sound corners becuase the 3d engine is just too overwhelming on the rest of the system. See any other corners cut? Textures?. It seems JC wanted good lighting more than anything else. Shadows in particular.
and as far as most of us are concerned, it works. go sit in the corner.