Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Archived Discussions » Radeon Technical Support
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Radeon Technical Support Radeon technical support forum for all Radeon products from the classic Radeon to the latest cutting edge family of graphics cards.

Old Aug 4, 2005, 04:00 PM   #1
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
schapman

schapman is still being judged by the masses

Default video card or monitor issue?

I this is the right place for this:

So here's my issue:

My display has been acting up lately and I'm trying to narrow down the problem to a couple things. I'll be working normally when all of a sudden a chunk of my display (about 5" thick) around the middle part of my monitor goes mad blurry. Above and below this is fine, and there's the odd time (about 1 in 15) where my whole display goes all screwy. It usually goes away after a while on it's own, or sometimes if I do thing like change around the refresh rate. My first thought is that the CRT is dying (its an approx 4-5 yr old samsung 950p 19"). I'm also wondering if it could be a video card issue. I figured at first that lowering the stress on the monitor might help so I dropped my rez down to 1280x1024. This worked for a couple days, then i also had to drop my refresh down to 60Hz. Last night when the issue popped up I raised the refresh back up to 70Hz and it cleared up (though the crt is startign to have problems with anything over 60Hz, it gets the jigglies).

I'm thinking (though its more unlikely) that it could be the video card (9700pro that I bought in week 1 of release).

Any insight would be greatly appreciated. OH, and i don't really have the hardware handing to just try swapping stuff out so I'm hoping you'll be able to give me a "mostly sure" answer

Thanks for any input.
Old Aug 4, 2005, 04:20 PM   #2
T00L
Radeon R100

T00L is still being judged by the masses

I had the same issue with a KDS monitor that was about 2 years old. I had to send it back and get another one. And another 6 months later the replacement went out and I just said screw it. I went to LCD. RMA the monitor if you're still under warranty. I really think running games with V-sync off had a big thing to do with it, but that's just my theory.
Athlon XP [email protected] Mhz 1.75 volts 9.5 multiplier
2 20GB Western Digital HDD
Radeon 9800 PRO 420/380
Corsair XMS PC3200 512 [email protected] FSB 2.5-3-3-11 CPC/OFF
Lite-On 8x DVD+-RW 851s mod to 832s w/dual layer.
Logitech Dual Optical Mouse
Antec TruePower 430 Watt PSU
NESO 17" LCD Max [email protected] hz 16ms
Old Aug 4, 2005, 04:32 PM   #3
oasked
Stuck in the mud

oasked is still being judged by the masses

Sounds like you need a new monitor.
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Aug 4, 2005, 04:44 PM   #4
schapman

That's my thought. Gonna try and scrap up a monitor to test with, then make the move to lcd.
Old Aug 4, 2005, 04:45 PM   #5
schapman

btw: i had it next to my tv as seen:

so i'm wondering if that has anythign to do with it dying.
Old Aug 4, 2005, 04:55 PM   #6
certaindeath
Radeon R700

certaindeath is still being judged by the masses

Is that Speaker next to the monitor magneticly shielded? and have you checked the connection to the back of the monitor, mine has worked itself lose before and caused problems similar to yours.
Abit IC-7 Intel 875|P4 [email protected]\572 fsb|1GB Corsair XMS DDR333 dual channel|80GB 7200rpm WD SE 8mb Cache|256MB Radeon X800XL|Audigy 2 ZS on Boston Acoustics BA7900 5.1's|Windows XP Professional|vpr Matrix 17" TFT CRT
Old Aug 4, 2005, 05:01 PM   #7
schapman

Speakers: shielded
Cable: i try and plug/replug every time it happens to no real affect. The refresh rate change fixing it is what made me think its either the crt or the vid card