Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Gaming and Computing Forums » PC Gaming
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

PC Gaming Discuss all PC games, past and present. Talk about your favorite games, share tips and strategies, and anything else relating to computer games.

Old Aug 2, 2009, 11:49 AM   #31
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
spindoctor
Radeon Arctic Islands

spindoctor is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
Originally Posted by pahncrd View Post
All it means is that a person is deficient in his ability to properly put himself into a receptive state of mind
that sentence there implies that there is something wrong with a person who doesn't get scared/spooked in a game. stop putting people down because they don't share your experiences in games.
spindoctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 2, 2009, 11:58 AM   #32
pahncrd
Stranger in a Strange LAN

pahncrd is still being judged by the masses

Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by spindoctor View Post
that sentence there implies that there is something wrong with a person who doesn't get scared/spooked in a game. stop putting people down because they don't share your experiences in games.

That's because there is... it is called lack of imagination. I intentionally said it like that because the statements relating to not being scared are usually said in such a manner as to connote some sort of superiority, or imply a sort of snobbery ("oh you thought that was scary... psshhh that wasn't scary at all") and I was just setting the record straight. It was meant to ruffle a few feathers so as to put things into context.

Last edited by pahncrd : Aug 2, 2009 at 12:44 PM.
pahncrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 2, 2009, 12:35 PM   #33
Jaws of Life
Radeon Evergreen

Jaws of Life is still being judged by the masses

Considering the plethora of sub-par FPS games being release FEAR(2) was actually quite decent. I bought the first and played the second which my friend had bought. For the time you played it was enjoyable, but I never saw any replay value.
Mobo: Asus P8Z68-M Pro| CPU: Intel i5-2500 @ 3.3ghz : 8gb DDR3 Kingston RAM| VGA: Nvidia Gigabyte 896mb GTX260 | HDD: 2x640gb WE SATAII | Case: Thermaltake ARMOR | PSU: Coolmaster Silent Pro M700 | Sound: SB X-FI Xtreme | OS: Vista x64 SP2 Home Premium | Monitor: Black Widscreen LG 24" LCD
Jaws of Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Aug 2, 2009, 12:57 PM   #34
theshadowcult
Radeon Arctic Islands

theshadowcult doesn't need no stinkin' badgestheshadowcult doesn't need no stinkin' badgestheshadowcult doesn't need no stinkin' badgestheshadowcult doesn't need no stinkin' badgestheshadowcult doesn't need no stinkin' badgestheshadowcult doesn't need no stinkin' badgestheshadowcult doesn't need no stinkin' badgestheshadowcult doesn't need no stinkin' badges

Just for those of you who have just played FEAR for the first time, if you get invested in the story, DO NOT play the expansion packs, seriously... Extraction Point was fun in gameplay value, i especially liked the tweaked moving walls parts of the game, but i'm a story man (and get really into my games like pahncrd does... my god deep space freaks me out sometimes) and extraction point really ****s up the story, so only get the expansion pack/s if you don't care about the story.

Also, FEAR 2 is not as bad as everyone says it is, its environs are not equal to FEAR but the story is ok, and the graphics are great except for the shadows problem... I'd say the game is fairly average, but it is definitely no where near as bad as some people make it out to be.
Old Aug 2, 2009, 01:10 PM   #35
pahncrd

Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by theshadowcult View Post
Just for those of you who have just played FEAR for the first time, if you get invested in the story, DO NOT play the expansion packs, seriously... Extraction Point was fun in gameplay value, i especially liked the tweaked moving walls parts of the game, but i'm a story man (and get really into my games like pahncrd does... my god deep space freaks me out sometimes) and extraction point really ****s up the story, so only get the expansion pack/s if you don't care about the story.

Also, FEAR 2 is not as bad as everyone says it is, its environs are not equal to FEAR but the story is ok, and the graphics are great except for the shadows problem... I'd say the game is fairly average, but it is definitely no where near as bad as some people make it out to be.
The expansion packs aren't even considered canon by the developers. I thought they were fun, but the stories are completely messed up like you said.

I liked FEAR 2 a lot after I started playing it in 3d. It has some really good scares in it, and I fell out of my chair at least a couple of times while playing through it.
Old Aug 3, 2009, 02:36 AM   #36
theshadowcult
Radeon Arctic Islands

theshadowcult doesn't need no stinkin' badgestheshadowcult doesn't need no stinkin' badgestheshadowcult doesn't need no stinkin' badgestheshadowcult doesn't need no stinkin' badgestheshadowcult doesn't need no stinkin' badgestheshadowcult doesn't need no stinkin' badgestheshadowcult doesn't need no stinkin' badgestheshadowcult doesn't need no stinkin' badges

I liked it too, but i found it a bit over the top with the "scary" bits, i found them too much, which in turn made them not scary at all for me, and i don't like that. It may not be survival horror, but it is still supposed to be adrenalin filled, my heart beat didn't change once :/ I didn't even die the first time (Before the Harder mode patch) until the snipers at the end which took me by surprise more than any of the scares did

I did think the story was goode, but the characters were not as goode as those in fear either... I imagine in 3D it would be great, and its goode to somebody enjoys it

Makes me wonder what Dead Space is like in 3D though... that game DOES surprise and startle me!!
Old Aug 3, 2009, 03:07 AM   #37
KwameR
Radeon R520

KwameR is still being judged by the masses

re- Fear Extraction Point......I consider this more of Fear, so if you liked Fear, then there's no reason not to buy this game especially as prices are very reasonable now.....however, P Mandate sux, and F2 is a waste of a game, ie, it lost it's soul with the ****ty graphics and subsequent atmosphere downgrade.
KwameR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 3, 2009, 04:16 AM   #38
GanjaStar
Jalouise

GanjaStar doesn't need no stinkin' badgesGanjaStar doesn't need no stinkin' badgesGanjaStar doesn't need no stinkin' badgesGanjaStar doesn't need no stinkin' badgesGanjaStar doesn't need no stinkin' badgesGanjaStar doesn't need no stinkin' badgesGanjaStar doesn't need no stinkin' badgesGanjaStar doesn't need no stinkin' badgesGanjaStar doesn't need no stinkin' badges

Quote:
Originally Posted by pahncrd View Post
Not being creeped out is not a badge of honor. It does not make you cool or more of a man. All it means is that a person is deficient in his ability to properly put himself into a receptive state of mind. It is somewhat sad, as there is no gaming experience quite like it.

i think it's just that we consider different thing's scary. examples of scary games for me are system shock 2, resident evil 4, cryostasis, dead space spoked me out occasionaly or disgusted me., AvP playing as the marine. hell even thief 1 was scary

Fear for me doesn't qualify in a category of horror games, i played it for the combat.

its like watching the exorcist.. it does nothing for me. i can't immerse myself in a religious scare, but if it was mentally ill child that stabs people, id be scared lol.

different taste in fear, thats all
GanjaStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 3, 2009, 04:19 AM   #39
theshadowcult
Radeon Arctic Islands

Lol Pet Cemetary, "No Fair, No Fair" Damn kids make the creepiest scariest horror themes.. *shudders*
Old Aug 3, 2009, 04:42 AM   #40
Emmet Otter
I mend fences

Emmet Otter is still being judged by the masses

funny that this is brought up again. I was actually planning on installing fear again this week. One hell of a ride!
Occupation: mending fences Interests: playing washtub bass for a jugband, digital photography, hiking and watching NJ Devils hockey. Favorate games: Unreal Tournament series except UTIII, Stalker SoC, F.E.A.R, cant wait for DiabloIII
Camera Gear: Canon 30D, 1D3 and 5DII.
85 1.2L II
24 1.4L II
24 - 105 4L IS
70 - 200 2.8L IS
24 - 70 L
100 2.8 macro
MP-E 65 2.8 5x macro
sigma 12-24 4.5-5.6
tokina 10-17 3.5-4.5 fishy
speedlites 580EX/580EXII and MT-24EX

-My New Slideshow-

-My Photo Slideshow-

Emmet Otter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 3, 2009, 10:09 AM   #41
Raiasokura
Radeon Northern Islands

Raiasokura is still being judged by the masses

The original was quality can remember really getting immersed in it, at the time it had really nice graphical effects and had a nice overall spooky feel to it aswell as a cool story driving it. And honestly when playing at early morning 3am ish it creeped me out, only at certain bits though seriously anyone who hasnt tried playing it with lights out, headphones up full etc try it and lets see how tough you are then.

The slow motion was a really nice feature (survival horror + first person + slow mo ) cant beat it. Also recently finished dead space which also had its freaky moments, mainly played through in early hours, with lights out headset etc etc, was a decent game overall and deffo had the classic survival horror feel to it, its pretty much resident evil in space which isn't a bad thing really.

Still haven't got round to getting hold of a copy of FEAR2 yet as its still a bit pricey here.
Raiasokura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 3, 2009, 08:10 PM   #42
CHIPS
The Overmind

CHIPS can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyCHIPS can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenNugget View Post
Yeah I hated the bullet time cause it made things way too damn easy and was out of place.
Lies!!! How can you kill hyper soldiers in hard mode without bullet time?

"Humans in general are very self-interested, while expecting all other humans around them to be selfless."
"Sometimes, it is not about whatever you can do something or not. It is about, if you cannot do it, who else can?"
"A difficult task might stop you from getting it done. But it cannot stop you from trying your best."
"Who you hang out with is who you will become" "Do not act on feelings, but act on facts"
"It does not matter how other people sees you. What matters is how you see yourself." "Some pains are sharp, but short. Some pains are dull, but long."
"I killed you ten times with my knife and you killed me 13 times with a gun so I pwned you!" -Crawdaddy79
"Gorgeous white girls everywhere with that "I'M SOOO HOT AND YOU CAN'T HAVE ME" bullsh** attitude" -gts007
"If you wasn't in my way, I wouldn't have shot you" -Kamille Bidan, Zeta Gundam
"It is easy to give up. Anyone can do it. But I choose the hard path." -Beyond
"If women can't compete with video games for our attention its their problem, not ours." -sumpwa
CHIPS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 3, 2009, 08:14 PM   #43
Xiro
Oo

Xiro can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyXiro can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ristogod View Post
Yep, it and its expansion pack are two of the greats.
Oh lords no. The expansions weren't that great and the story line told within them made close to no sense imo.

I did enjoy Fear and Fear2 though.
Xiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 4, 2009, 12:20 AM   #44
KwameR
Radeon R520

I just loaded Persee Mandate again and ran the ingame performance test, and at the exact same specs, I score 20fps higher than on Fear or F XP, so they've obviously reduced the demands of the game and it shows.....it looks faint compared to the grit and viscosity of Fear and XP.

Also, the opening part of the game is mainly mid-long rang-ish shooting.....a big mistake considering close combat with or without slo mo was Fear's forte.

So based on that, this is my rankings.....

1...Fear....not just the best of the series, but one of the best FPSers period.
2...Fear XP....all the visual and visceral glory of Fear sans the originality.
3...Fear2....I thought this game was okay at first, but after my re-exposure to Fear maxed, and my attempt to replay it, I don't rate Fear2 very highly.

4...Persee Mandate.....a 2004 looking lifeless and meaningless POS released amongst the quality of Crysis, Stalker, COD4.......I simply can't be bothered to push on and play this POS.
Old Aug 4, 2009, 12:27 AM   #45
Hidavi
I'm Way Up

Hidavi can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyHidavi can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyHidavi can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Make sure you use the latest patch for best performance, IQ and high-res widescreen support.

Its retarded how well this game performs! The second one is no slacker either!
Hidavi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 4, 2009, 12:31 AM   #46
KwameR
Radeon R520

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hidavi View Post
Make sure you use the latest patch for best performance, IQ and high-res widescreen support.
Fear and XP require some fiddling to get 1920x1200, but it's easy enough and you can get the info from the WS gaming forum.

Both Persh.it Mandate and F2 have native WS support, but F2 needs a patch if you have a 16:10 LCD.
Old Aug 4, 2009, 12:40 AM   #47
Hidavi
I'm Way Up

Hidavi can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyHidavi can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyHidavi can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

I didn't think this game was spooky the first time, but this second time around is a different story..
Old Aug 4, 2009, 12:53 AM   #48
KwameR
Radeon R520

Quote:
I didn't think this game was spooky the first time, but this second time around is a different story..
It just depends if you get caught off guard...either way, the general atmosphere and lighting maxed out make a huge difference to this game+ the extra physics really kick in as well.

I'll be adding a 37in 1080p LCD in the not too distant future, it'll be interesting to see how it fairs on that.
Old Aug 4, 2009, 06:36 AM   #49
KAC
All ur gays r belong 2 me

KAC glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsKAC glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsKAC glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsKAC glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsKAC glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsKAC glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsKAC glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsKAC glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsKAC glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsKAC glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsKAC glows with the radiance of a thousand suns

FEAR was a great game. FEAR extraction point had some nice stuff in there. FEAR PM was something I never got around to playing due to 4.5/10 scores. FEAR 2 was a decent small shoot em up game with poor story telling mechanics and console tardiness spit all over it.

Press "E" to shoot.
KAC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 4, 2009, 09:32 PM   #50
Hidavi
I'm Way Up

So, I'm in Interval 06 (Sayonara Sucker), right after you find the fat man with the cactus , and I get the general idea of what is going on, but I don't know anything about the little girl yet. Did I miss something? Is she the one controlling the baddies? Don't tell me if I'm not supposed to know yet.
Old Aug 4, 2009, 10:09 PM   #51
TopoGeigeo
Da Mouse, Huzaa!

TopoGeigeo is still being judged by the masses

Ehem, needs to be said again.

Fear 2 is a pile of rubbish. FEAR was awesome. Fear 2 not so much.
Old Aug 4, 2009, 10:28 PM   #52
Hidavi
I'm Way Up

FEAR 2 still got great reviews so I'll give it a shot regardless after I finish Extraction Point.
Old Aug 4, 2009, 10:29 PM   #53
pahncrd

Subscriber

I loved FEAR 2 in 3d stereo. Though it was a bit less interesting in normal 2d to be sure.
Old Aug 4, 2009, 10:46 PM   #54
AluminumHaste
Radeon Arctic Islands

AluminumHaste can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyAluminumHaste can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyAluminumHaste can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Quote:
So, I'm in Interval 06 (Sayonara Sucker), right after you find the fat man with the cactus , and I get the general idea of what is going on, but I don't know anything about the little girl yet. Did I miss something? Is she the one controlling the baddies? Don't tell me if I'm not supposed to know yet.
No you are right on track, I had to play the game through twice to get everything, but checking up on Wikipedia confirms everything I thought was going on.
AluminumHaste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 4, 2009, 10:57 PM   #55
Hidavi
I'm Way Up

^Thanks
I love how dynamic the AI is in this game. You have to move almost like you're playing multiplayer
Old Aug 4, 2009, 11:56 PM   #56
Ne0Griever
Radeon Arctic Islands

Ne0Griever once held a door open for a complete strangerNe0Griever once held a door open for a complete strangerNe0Griever once held a door open for a complete strangerNe0Griever once held a door open for a complete stranger

I only really bothered playing the first one. Flickering the lights on and off and doors mysteriously close isn't particularly scary.

The Main Character hardly ever gets involved with the story. Why can't Fettel just tell you everything the first time you meet him, then you can just skip 3/4ths of the game since you do NOTHING but blasting people.

And blasting people is the only thing I really enjoyed. Nothing like watching enemies explode in slow motion from a shotgun blast at point blank.

Ne0Griever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 5, 2009, 04:08 AM   #57
spindoctor
Radeon Arctic Islands

spindoctor is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
^Thanks
I love how dynamic the AI is in this game. You have to move almost like you're playing multiplayer
F.E.A.R.'s AI Demystified

it's not a spoiler really. it just tells you how they cleverly managed to make the AI feel so dynamic when it really wasn't. good read if you're interested.
spindoctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 5, 2009, 11:40 AM   #58
theshadowcult
Radeon Arctic Islands

I tell you what, if FEAR 2 had the AI Director from L4D it would have been phenomenal, would have then actually been an improvement on FEAR and not just a side step.
Old Aug 5, 2009, 12:03 PM   #59
metroidfox
dAMD fanATical nVidiot

metroidfox can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultymetroidfox can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Quote:
Originally Posted by spindoctor View Post
F.E.A.R.'s AI Demystified

it's not a spoiler really. it just tells you how they cleverly managed to make the AI feel so dynamic when it really wasn't. good read if you're interested.
That just proves how a well constructed game can feel a lot better than a more technically advanced game. Truly impressive.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pr()ZaC
Spyre, I told you before! I won't let you have mensechs with metroidfox nor give you the secret address to the admins p0rn server! :drool:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Villainess
:lol: @ sig ............ now get me OUTTA THERE!! :mad:
metroidfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 9, 2009, 01:18 PM   #60
Hidavi
I'm Way Up

just tried playing with headphones on and there is way too much bass....

There's this awful rumbling sound when I'm just standing there doing nothing...

I'm using built-in RealTek HD Audio with Sony MDR-XD300 studio monitor heaphones.

Ideas?