Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Gaming and Computing Forums » PC Gaming
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

PC Gaming Discuss all PC games, past and present. Talk about your favorite games, share tips and strategies, and anything else relating to computer games.

Old Apr 4, 2017, 09:05 PM   #121
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
Exposed
ESB Sports Bookie

Exposed can recite pi backwardsExposed can recite pi backwardsExposed can recite pi backwardsExposed can recite pi backwardsExposed can recite pi backwardsExposed can recite pi backwardsExposed can recite pi backwards

FEAR will always be a good game but these flaws will always be glaring:

- FEAR couldnt decide if it was COD or Silent Hill
- All the horror sections were straight ripoffs from The Ring/ The Grudge.
- Completely unrealistic corporate floor layouts and deli shop gates.
Exposed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 5, 2017, 01:20 AM   #122
Eisberg
Radeon Arctic Islands

Eisberg considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestEisberg considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestEisberg considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestEisberg considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestEisberg considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestEisberg considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestEisberg considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestEisberg considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestEisberg considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestEisberg considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestEisberg considers Jack Bauer an amateur at best

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exposed View Post

Wasn't all the map layouts built around on making things easier for the AI, basically force the AI to make certain decisions, a part of the smoke and mirrors of making the AI look smarter than what they really were?
The home is the first and most effective place to learn the lessons of life: truth, honor, virtue, self control, the value of education, honest work, and the purpose and privilege of life. Nothing can take the place of home in rearing and teaching children, and no other success can compensate for failure in the home.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Albert Einstein
Imagination is more important than knowledge. For knowledge is limited to all we now know and understand, while imagination embraces the entire world, and all there ever will be to know and understand.
Eisberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 5, 2017, 06:01 PM   #123
ShaidarHaran
Radeon Arctic Islands

ShaidarHaran once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'ShaidarHaran once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'ShaidarHaran once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'ShaidarHaran once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'ShaidarHaran once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'ShaidarHaran once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exposed View Post

The original F.E.A.R. is to this day the most complete, balanced FPS ever. Later releases (including expansions) only took steps backward. No one talks about the later releases when they bring up F.E.A.R. because it was an impossible task to create a better game.
ShaidarHaran is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Apr 5, 2017, 06:22 PM   #124
Nunz
RIP Roxen

Nunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand suns

no one talks about the later releases because they all sucked. has nothing to do with how good FEAR 1 was, just that the expansions and sequels were just straight up mediocre/shitty games.
"If you can't handle me when I'm bulking, you don't deserve me when I'm cut." -- Marilyn Monbroe
Nunz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 5, 2017, 06:44 PM   #125
theshadowcult
Radeon Arctic Islands

theshadowcult doesn't need no stinkin' badgestheshadowcult doesn't need no stinkin' badgestheshadowcult doesn't need no stinkin' badgestheshadowcult doesn't need no stinkin' badgestheshadowcult doesn't need no stinkin' badgestheshadowcult doesn't need no stinkin' badgestheshadowcult doesn't need no stinkin' badgestheshadowcult doesn't need no stinkin' badges

well... kind of... the very first expansion was actually really goode. The only down side it had was it destroyed the only characters you liked from the base game... i think in like, the very second map or something, they just killed them all. Excepting that one part, there were lots of parts in the expansion that were even better than the base game. Especially the messing with the environments parts. Amazing **** that we take for granted now, but was unheard of at the time.

Fear 2 was great too, its biggest problems were the graphics were a downgrade from the first game. Everything else fear related though has been ****.
Old Apr 6, 2017, 02:28 AM   #126
Nagorak
Incarnation of the Nether

Nagorak can recite pi backwardsNagorak can recite pi backwardsNagorak can recite pi backwardsNagorak can recite pi backwardsNagorak can recite pi backwardsNagorak can recite pi backwardsNagorak can recite pi backwards

Honestly, I hated the first FEAR too. It's strange because a lot of people apparently liked it, but it did nothing for me.

I've sometimes thought I should go back and replay it and see if I felt the same way now, but I probably never will since I have a backlog of games I haven't even played once.
Nagorak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5, 2022, 03:44 PM   #127
RedBarchetta
Radeon R300

RedBarchetta is still being judged by the masses

Replaying this series again and it still kicks ass
RedBarchetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5, 2022, 04:00 PM   #128
acroig
Troll SMod

acroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand suns

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedBarchetta View Post
Always, some of the best game AI seen.

yoz
acroig is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5, 2022, 04:16 PM   #129
Lazy8s
One day at a time

Lazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dial

Quote:
+1
Quote:
Originally Posted by acroig View Post
Always, some of the best game AI seen.
+2
Lazy8s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5, 2022, 04:18 PM   #130
Crawdaddy79
Radeon 8500

Crawdaddy79 can recite pi backwardsCrawdaddy79 can recite pi backwardsCrawdaddy79 can recite pi backwardsCrawdaddy79 can recite pi backwardsCrawdaddy79 can recite pi backwardsCrawdaddy79 can recite pi backwardsCrawdaddy79 can recite pi backwards

Replayed this in the middle of 2020. It aged very well.
Crawdaddy79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5, 2022, 05:59 PM   #131
nutcrackr
OT Moderator

nutcrackr can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundnutcrackr can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundnutcrackr can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundnutcrackr can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundnutcrackr can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundnutcrackr can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundnutcrackr can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundnutcrackr can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundnutcrackr can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundnutcrackr can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundnutcrackr can leap small-ish buildings in a single bound

I think the key to why the Ai is so good is because they're vocal about what they see and do. They navigate spaces pretty well and move to cover/hide. I wish more games would try to emulate fear's AI.
nutcrackr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5, 2022, 06:44 PM   #132
acroig
Troll SMod

acroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand suns

Quote:
Originally Posted by nutcrackr View Post
I think the key to why the Ai is so good is because they're vocal about what they see and do. They navigate spaces pretty well and move to cover/hide. I wish more games would try to emulate fear's AI.
Seconded.

yoz
Old Jan 5, 2022, 07:07 PM   #133
Lazy8s
One day at a time

Lazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dial

I almost beat up a little girl over this game.

My daughters friend was over, and I was in the man cave playing with all the lights off. Daughters friend’s appearance - 5 years old, pale skin, black hair.

I never heard her come upstairs, or come up behind me - I just saw and felt the little white hand on my shoulder. Keyboard flew, I think I screamed, she screamed

She was coming to get “uncle Phil” because dinner was ready

I love this game
Lazy8s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5, 2022, 08:27 PM   #134
SubCog
Radeon Arctic Islands

SubCog doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSubCog doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSubCog doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSubCog doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSubCog doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSubCog doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSubCog doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSubCog doesn't need no stinkin' badges

by half way through the game, I was absolutely loving FEAR. The tactical stuff took some time to get used to, and the game started off a bit slow, but once it gets up and running (or the player gets up and running), it's pretty amazing.

I thought the sequels had significantly better graphics than the first, but I just couldn't quite get into them. They felt a little bit too Call-of-Duty to me.

Ryzen 5 5600x - radeon 6700xt - 32 gigs memory

Nintendo: NES, SNES, N64, Gamecube, Wii, Wii U, Switch, Gameboy, Gameboy Pocket, Gameboy Color, Virtual Boy, 6 GBAs, DS, 3ds
Sega: Sega Master System, Genesis, 32x, Sega CD, Saturn, Dreamcast, Game Gear
Sony: PS1, PS2, PS3, PS4, PSP
Microsoft: og xbox, xbox360, xbone, series 3
Atari: Atari 2600, 7800
Neo Geo: Neo Geo Pocket Color
Other: Colecovision, Intellivision, Vectrex

riva tnt
tnt2
geforce2mx
kyro 2
radeon 8500
radeon 9600
radeon 9800pro
radeon x800pro
geforce 8800gtx
radeon 6850
radeon 280
radeon 580
radeon 6700xt
SubCog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5, 2022, 09:36 PM   #135
KAC
All ur gays r belong 2 me

KAC glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsKAC glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsKAC glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsKAC glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsKAC glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsKAC glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsKAC glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsKAC glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsKAC glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsKAC glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsKAC glows with the radiance of a thousand suns

Only first FEAR was good.
KAC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5, 2022, 10:18 PM   #136
theshadowcult
Radeon Arctic Islands

theshadowcult doesn't need no stinkin' badgestheshadowcult doesn't need no stinkin' badgestheshadowcult doesn't need no stinkin' badgestheshadowcult doesn't need no stinkin' badgestheshadowcult doesn't need no stinkin' badgestheshadowcult doesn't need no stinkin' badgestheshadowcult doesn't need no stinkin' badgestheshadowcult doesn't need no stinkin' badges

Quote:
Originally Posted by SubCog View Post
by half way through the game, I was absolutely loving FEAR. The tactical stuff took some time to get used to, and the game started off a bit slow, but once it gets up and running (or the player gets up and running), it's pretty amazing.

I thought the sequels had significantly better graphics than the first, but I just couldn't quite get into them. They felt a little bit too Call-of-Duty to me.
I never played the 3rd game. However graphics wise, 2 was a bit of a step back. Higher fidelity for sure, and nice really nice assets, but they hampened the lighting and shadows to make it work for console. Was pretty disappointing i thought
Old Jan 5, 2022, 10:55 PM   #137
JohnnyFlash
Radeon R600

JohnnyFlash is still being judged by the masses

First game I thought of when alienware announced the 34" OLED.
Old Jan 5, 2022, 11:01 PM   #138
SubCog
Radeon Arctic Islands

SubCog doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSubCog doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSubCog doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSubCog doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSubCog doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSubCog doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSubCog doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSubCog doesn't need no stinkin' badges

Quote:
Originally Posted by theshadowcult View Post
I never played the 3rd game. However graphics wise, 2 was a bit of a step back. Higher fidelity for sure, and nice really nice assets, but they hampened the lighting and shadows to make it work for console. Was pretty disappointing i thought
hmm... I kindof get what you're saying. FEAR 2 definitely had a softer, more subtle look to it, which I tend to see as more "advanced". Definitely more polygons, etc. FEAR 1 had this very harsh, chunky, in-your-face kind of graphics. It's more striking, but I do think it's technically inferior.

Also, I think they dramatically optimized the engine for FEAR 2. Smooth as butter, whereas FEAR 1 had very poor and unstable performance.

Nintendo: NES, SNES, N64, Gamecube, Wii, Wii U, Switch, Gameboy, Gameboy Pocket, Gameboy Color, Virtual Boy, 6 GBAs, DS, 3ds

riva tnt
tnt2
geforce2mx
kyro 2
radeon 8500
radeon 9600
radeon 9800pro
radeon x800pro
geforce 8800gtx
radeon 6850
radeon 280
radeon 580
radeon 6700xt
Old Jan 5, 2022, 11:13 PM   #139
demo
space cadet

demo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieseldemo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieseldemo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieseldemo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieseldemo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieseldemo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieseldemo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieseldemo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieseldemo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieseldemo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieseldemo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Diesel

Quote:
Originally Posted by KAC View Post
Only first FEAR was good.
Yeh I thought so too.
Old Jan 6, 2022, 05:27 AM   #140
Thr0tt
Radeon Arctic Islands

Thr0tt can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyThr0tt can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyThr0tt can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Same, first was best then it went downhill hard and fast (Went from unique to generic and bad in that order). Shame it hasn't been remade in the U5 engine yet as it would look amazing.
Old Jan 6, 2022, 08:04 AM   #141
Jaillum Malord
Simplify Mufugha

Jaillum Malord can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyJaillum Malord can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

F.E.A.R. remake while keeping the core gameplay elements plus RT shadows, RT ambient occlusion and RT GI would be like using silk toilet paper....i love it.

Jaillum Malord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2022, 08:26 AM   #142
Crawdaddy79
Radeon 8500

Crawdaddy79 can recite pi backwardsCrawdaddy79 can recite pi backwardsCrawdaddy79 can recite pi backwardsCrawdaddy79 can recite pi backwardsCrawdaddy79 can recite pi backwardsCrawdaddy79 can recite pi backwardsCrawdaddy79 can recite pi backwards

Wouldn't that just smear everything?
Crawdaddy79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2022, 08:29 AM   #143
Trunks0
Keeping an open mind

Trunks0 can recite pi backwardsTrunks0 can recite pi backwardsTrunks0 can recite pi backwardsTrunks0 can recite pi backwardsTrunks0 can recite pi backwardsTrunks0 can recite pi backwardsTrunks0 can recite pi backwards

Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawdaddy79 View Post
Wouldn't that just smear everything?
It's a saying

System:
Asus TUF Gaming X570-Pro - AMD Ryzen 7 5800x - Noctua NH-D15S chromax.Black - 32gb of G.Skill Trident Z NEO - Asus DRW-24F1ST DVD±RW - Samsung 850 Evo 250Gib - 4TiB Seagate - XFX MERC 308 Radeon RX 6600XT - Creative AE-5 Plus - Windows 10 64-bit
Trunks0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2022, 08:56 AM   #144
Meteor_of_War
USA-holes

Meteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppers

Been a very long time since I played any of the F.E.A.R. games, but have very found memories of them. Especially the first. Might reinstall the first one and give it a quick run through.
Meteor_of_War is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7, 2022, 08:20 AM   #145
RedBarchetta
Radeon R300

RedBarchetta is still being judged by the masses

When one of the mercenaries called me a pussy I knew this game was for the ages
RedBarchetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7, 2022, 09:38 AM   #146
acroig
Troll SMod

Quote:
When one of the mercenaries called me a pussy I knew this game was for the ages

yoz
Old Jan 7, 2022, 09:39 AM   #147
SubCog
Radeon Arctic Islands

Graphics comparison between the 3 games. FEAR 2 & 3 are lightyears beyond the first one, in terms of tech. FEAR 1 has the geometry of a Quake2-era game, with some Doom3-style lighting. It looks cool, and the art direction works, but it's clearly an older game.

FEAR 2 has that smeared color-grading that was popular at it's time. kindof gross by today's standards. FEAR 3 fixes that, to some degree.

riva tnt
tnt2
geforce2mx
kyro 2
radeon 8500
radeon 9600
radeon 9800pro
radeon x800pro
geforce 8800gtx
radeon 6850
radeon 280
radeon 580
radeon 6700xt
Old Jan 7, 2022, 02:44 PM   #148
theshadowcult
Radeon Arctic Islands

Not really sure what video you are watching there, but aside from slightly better textures in SOME areas, and obviously higher poly count models. Fear 1 still looked the best of the 3 there to me. In fact, the blurring and smudging in the second game made the whole thing look awful.

Was some of fear 1 outdated? Yes. Things like shadow casting distances, and props certainly got better as the years went on, but they got better by default, not because fear 2 or 3 actually made leaps and bounds in graphics.
Old Jan 7, 2022, 05:47 PM   #149
twonha
Yods be silent!

twonha can recite pi backwardstwonha can recite pi backwardstwonha can recite pi backwardstwonha can recite pi backwardstwonha can recite pi backwardstwonha can recite pi backwardstwonha can recite pi backwards

Geez. What's most painfully noticeable about the comparison, is how the user interface is butchered to be console friendly. Huge fonts, notifications, heads-up markers for power-ups, icons for taking cover... FEAR 1 is obviously designed for PC with a clean, almost minimal interface, allowing the player to focus on the game itself. I never got into the sequels, and judging from reviews at the time and little fragments like the video, there wasn't much to miss out on.

FEAR was all about the combat encounters in my opinion: using the AI, the smoke effects, the slow motion and explosions to make the player look cool. The scares and story certainly took a back seat to that, and the level design was outright previous gen compared to precursors Half-Life 2, DOOM 3 and Far Cry. So it was simultaneously very pretty, and very ugly, but it played oh so well and that's really what carries the game, and perhaps even the franchise.
Old Jan 7, 2022, 06:52 PM   #150
theshadowcult
Radeon Arctic Islands

Quote:
Originally Posted by twonha View Post
Geez. What's most painfully noticeable about the comparison, is how the user interface is butchered to be console friendly. Huge fonts, notifications, heads-up markers for power-ups, icons for taking cover... FEAR 1 is obviously designed for PC with a clean, almost minimal interface, allowing the player to focus on the game itself. I never got into the sequels, and judging from reviews at the time and little fragments like the video, there wasn't much to miss out on.

FEAR was all about the combat encounters in my opinion: using the AI, the smoke effects, the slow motion and explosions to make the player look cool. The scares and story certainly took a back seat to that, and the level design was outright previous gen compared to precursors Half-Life 2, DOOM 3 and Far Cry. So it was simultaneously very pretty, and very ugly, but it played oh so well and that's really what carries the game, and perhaps even the franchise.
FEAR 2 was actually pretty goode. it had contrasting reviews on the story, but i actually enjoyed it. The campaign was decent too. FEAR 1 was still the best (and its first expansion was pretty goode too), but FEAR 2 definitely had its moments in the spotlight.