Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Archived Discussions » Radeon Technical Support
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Radeon Technical Support Radeon technical support forum for all Radeon products from the classic Radeon to the latest cutting edge family of graphics cards.

Old Dec 30, 2007, 01:10 PM   #1
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
kyuso

kyuso is still being judged by the masses

Default blank blank at startup through dvi, comes back in graphics mode

I have asus m2a-vm hdmi with integrated ati x1250 graphics, connected to Viewsonic VX2255WM widescreen LCD.

When I use VGA port, everything works.

When I use DVI digital port, the screen is blank while booting (the monitor DOES detect digital signal and the screen is slightly brighter black), and only shows up when graphics mode login appears. I can't even access BIOS setup at all.

It happens in Windows XP, Fedora, Ubuntu, whatever OS I try. So it must be at the POST startup stage that the problem occurs, nothing to do with any video drivers. In Fedora, if I go to text mode, the same thing happens: blank screen. If I go back to GUI mode, it works again.

I checked the monitor info during blank screen and it shows 1400x900 resolution (when in VGA, it would have shown 640x480.) When the screen comes on, the resolution is correctly shown as 1680x1050.

I'm wondering if there is a mismatch between DVI output and LCD display while in text mode.

Anyone has exact same configuration (motherboard, DVI output, widescreen LCD) and everything shows up while booting?

I'm trying to figure out if it's just me, or if it's a common problem for this configuration. Most of the posts about blank screen I checked here seems to be related to Windows drivers, which doesn't seem to be related to this one.
Old Dec 30, 2007, 07:51 PM   #2
spyre
ATI Beta Tester

spyre is still being judged by the masses

Old Dec 31, 2007, 07:24 AM   #3
Hardwood
Radeon Evergreen

Hardwood is still being judged by the masses

I have the older model of that LCD (2025), and it performs perfectly in XP 32bit, XP 64bit and Vista 64bit.

Did you install it's os specific drivers from the CD? Viewsonic has OS specific drivers for each of the OS' I mentioned on their site.

Have you got it set to 1680x1050@60?
At the end of the manual, it should list all display modes including your hard to get [email protected],67,72,75,85hz. Check that because I'm hoping Spyre's wrong for a change.

Then shut everything down.
Unplug the monitor from the WALL or pull the power plug on the back and disconnect video cable with the computer totally powered down. Let the monitor sit a few minutes and it should reset to it's default state. Reconnect DVI and power, turn the monitor on first then fire up the computer.

Good luck!
<---Computer #1 in System Specs Button

Computer#2), MSI 970 Gaming, FX 8350, Antec 750w True, 128GB Sandisk SSD, 1TB WD Black, Win 10pro x64
Computer #3) MSI A88X-G45, AMD A10-7850K, IGP, AMD 2x4GB 2133 Ram (R938G2130U1K),Thermaltake 550w, Win10pro
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Jan 1, 2008, 06:17 PM   #4
kyuso

kyuso is still being judged by the masses

Thank you for all the replies. It seems one of the posters is correct to point out that my case is related to DDC info through DVI not compatible for low resolution text mode.

The key point is that Viewsonic's DVI can only choose 1400x900 as the closest resolution for text mode (I sometimes see artifacts on the screen, and in very rare instance flicker of text image, so it's actually not a completely blank screen), while VGA was able to set to 720x400 or 640x480 for text mode, showing everything properly.

I like both my motherboard and my monitor, and hate to part with either one, but I guess I have to return one of them and replace with a different model or brand.