Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Gaming and Computing Forums » Console Gaming
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Console Gaming A place to discuss our favourite past and present gaming consoles. Talk about your favorite games, get nostalgic and share tips and strategies.

Old Feb 8, 2010, 07:55 PM   #1
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
nomore
Radeon Arctic Islands

nomore once jumped the English Channelnomore once jumped the English Channelnomore once jumped the English Channelnomore once jumped the English Channelnomore once jumped the English Channelnomore once jumped the English Channelnomore once jumped the English Channelnomore once jumped the English Channelnomore once jumped the English Channelnomore once jumped the English Channelnomore once jumped the English Channel

Default Netflix: HD Streaming "Underwhelming," Expects Wii Success

In part two of this Wiire exclusive interview, Netflix bolsters their hopes for success on the Wii platform by downplaying their HD content.

Netflix Vice President of Corporate Communications Steve Swasey anticipates seeing a lot of success (without predicting any numbers) on Nintendo's Wii platform. He notes the system's American install base, saying, "26 million homes in America have a Wii. That's a whole lot of folks."

The key question, as Swasey indicates, is whether Wii owners will want to watch Netflix on Nintendo's home console.

"We think that the desirability of watching movies instantly on the Wii via Netflix is a wonderful opportunity for Wii homes. And so we think it's going to be very well adopted."

Downplaying High-Definition Streaming

Nintendo of America President Reggie Fils-Aime recently said on CNBC that "the vast majority of content that is available for streaming through Netflix is not HD content. So, there is really no loss for the Wii consumer."

In step with Nintendo, Netflix is downplaying its own streaming services on other systems.

To start, Swasey notes that "the Wii does not have HD capability," only to immediately add that they "don't think that is a deterrent for Wii families."

Netflix plans to flesh out the Wii application, which relies on a proprietary disc with a certain setup process (to find out how to get Netflix up and running on your Wii, head over to our guide).

Still, Netflix feels the need to squash any concerns about the system's lack of HD streaming. Swasey accomplishes this by devaluing the HD functions of Netflix to begin with, comparing the Wii to other game consoles.

"PS3 and Xbox users have 1 in 17 titles available in HD, and it's streamed in 720... it's not in 1080, and it's not in 5.1 surround sound or anything."

In this sense, Xbox 360 and Playstation 3 Netflix users have a 1,000-movie advantage, in which the difference is a change from streaming in 480p to 720p. This seems to be the company's form of disarming the "HD argument."

It doesn't quite end there, however. He continues:

"So, the HD experience at Netflix Instant Watching isn't that overwhelming. It's a little bit underwhelming. So the Wii folks aren't going to miss that much."

Certainly, a company doesn't often call their own service "underwhelming" unless they have a rock-solid relationship with another company that they're vying for.

Netflix has seen plenty of success in its Instant Watch service with other game consoles (The Washington Post reports that nearly half of all movies and TV shows use the service). Still, they could see massive success by siding with Nintendo, a move they are even slightly taking the fall for.

"We're confident that Netflix and Nintendo have a good partnership going and that you're going to see Nintendo owners really enjoying Netflix on their Wii."

http://thewiire.com/editorials/post/...ts-wii-success
Quote:
Originally Posted by H001iGAN View Post
no matter how you look at it, it's still better on PC
nomore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 9, 2010, 03:01 AM   #2
badboy
Merc with a mouth

badboy knows why the caged bird singsbadboy knows why the caged bird singsbadboy knows why the caged bird singsbadboy knows why the caged bird singsbadboy knows why the caged bird sings

Netflix marketing guys should get fired

"our hd range of movies sucks so the wii users dont miss a thing!"

"I am against religion because it teaches us to be satisfied with not understanding the world." - Richard Dawkins

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." - Ben Franklin

"I'll happily keep risking it and enjoy my life" - Doozer

Luke: "God will make sure that evil gets punished"
Jason: "Oh yeah, then explain Europe to me?"
- True Blood
badboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 9, 2010, 09:00 AM   #3
Encyclopedia_b
Purveyor of OFN

Encyclopedia_b is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboy View Post

Netflix marketing guys should get fired

"our hd range of movies sucks so the wii users dont miss a thing!"

LOL!

i think its awsome tho, cant wait to be able to stream netflix to another tv.
Encyclopedia_b is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Feb 9, 2010, 11:08 AM   #4
Ristogod
Semper Vigilare

Ristogod once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Ristogod once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Ristogod once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Ristogod once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Ristogod once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Ristogod once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

Quote:
don't think that is a deterrent for Wii families.
I think that statement is correct. Wii families only care about jumping around swinging inaccurate motion controls playing dumbed down boring games with blocky graphics. Why would they care what their movies look like?
Old Feb 9, 2010, 11:58 AM   #5
Encyclopedia_b
Purveyor of OFN

Encyclopedia_b is still being judged by the masses

i would imagine a good deal of wii owners have their wiis hooked up to standard tv's

mine is hooked up downstairs on an old sony 36 wega. it looks just fine for me there, zero complaints as long as i can " jumping around swinging inaccurate motion controls playing dumbed down boring games with blocky graphics".

but yes, i suppose your right i only like wii games because I only care about "jumping around swinging inaccurate motion controls playing dumbed down boring games with blocky graphics".
Encyclopedia_b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 9, 2010, 12:01 PM   #6
Ristogod
Semper Vigilare

Ristogod once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Ristogod once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Ristogod once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Ristogod once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Ristogod once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Ristogod once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Encyclopedia_b View Post
i would imagine a good deal of wii owners have their wiis hooked up to standard tv's

mine is hooked up downstairs on an old sony 36 wega. it looks just fine for me there, zero complaints as long as i can " jumping around swinging inaccurate motion controls playing dumbed down boring games with blocky graphics".

but yes, i suppose your right i only like wii games because I only care about "jumping around swinging inaccurate motion controls playing dumbed down boring games with blocky graphics".
Please don't take me so serious.
Old Feb 9, 2010, 12:32 PM   #7
mabran
Wrigley Field Is A Pit

mabran is still being judged by the masses

I supported netflix and like the fact they want to get on every device imagainable but comments like these liken them to a common whore that will stop at nothing to get you to buy their goods.

let's hope they don't "downgrade" the service to satisfy their new BFF Nintendo and offer less HD because after all it's "Not that big of a deal"

system spec: HYPER-V
Phenom II 1090T , 8GB X4 Crucial 1666, Samsung SATA Dual Layer Burner, 5x 1TB Samsung HE103UJ SATA HD's, Windows Server 2008 R2
mabran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 9, 2010, 05:37 PM   #8
jimmt
Trumpification

jimmt knows why the caged bird singsjimmt knows why the caged bird singsjimmt knows why the caged bird singsjimmt knows why the caged bird singsjimmt knows why the caged bird sings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Encyclopedia_b View Post

Hey we have a 36 Sony wega too. takes an army to move the dang thing. why i still have it.
Dell Inspiron 7577 | Intel i7-7700HQ |16GB DDR 4 DRAM 2400 |Nvidia 1060 6GB |3TB NVMe/SDD |Fedora 35
VR
Oculus Quest 2 / PSVR
Consoles
SteamDeck|Switch|WiiU|Wii|Gamecube|New 3DS XL|DS|GBA|N64|SNES|NES|XBOX|XBOX360|XBOXSeries|PS1|PS2|PS3|PS4|Vita|PSP|DreamCast|Saturn|Genesis
Classical Liberalism: A political ideology and a branch of liberalism which advocates civil liberties, private property, and political freedom with representative democracy under the rule of law. Strong emphasizes economic freedom and the individual over the collective.
jimmt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 9, 2010, 05:59 PM   #9
monkeydust
Radeon Arctic Islands

monkeydust once held a door open for a complete strangermonkeydust once held a door open for a complete strangermonkeydust once held a door open for a complete strangermonkeydust once held a door open for a complete stranger

Hey, I have a 36" Sony wega too.

Anyways, the selection of streaming movies on Netflix really does suck. The concept is cool though. I've streamed a handful of things to my Tivo and had a moderately positive experience.
EVGA GTX 1070 SC
Samsung EVO 1TB SSD
Fractal Design Node 304 Mini-ITX case
Dell 2408WFP 24" Widescreen LCD
Windows 8.1 64-bit
monkeydust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 9, 2010, 07:32 PM   #10
Sharkfood
Radeon Caribbean Islands

Sharkfood is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ristogod View Post
Wii families only care about jumping around swinging inaccurate motion controls playing dumbed down boring games with blocky graphics.

Don't spread my wealth, spread my work ethic.
3/21/2010 - R.I.P. Freedom, Democracy, America
Sharkfood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 9, 2010, 09:18 PM   #11
nomore
Radeon Arctic Islands

nomore once jumped the English Channelnomore once jumped the English Channelnomore once jumped the English Channelnomore once jumped the English Channelnomore once jumped the English Channelnomore once jumped the English Channelnomore once jumped the English Channelnomore once jumped the English Channelnomore once jumped the English Channelnomore once jumped the English Channelnomore once jumped the English Channel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ristogod View Post
Please don't take me so serious.
I usually take you very seriously.
Quote:
Originally Posted by H001iGAN View Post
no matter how you look at it, it's still better on PC
nomore is offline   Reply With Quote