Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Gaming and Computing Forums » General Hardware
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

General Hardware Talk about PCs/Macs, motherboards, CPUs, sound cards, RAM, hard drives, networking and everything else about computer hardware!

Old Feb 1, 2011, 01:46 AM   #1
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
Dungeoncrawler
Radeon Arctic Islands

Dungeoncrawler can recite pi backwardsDungeoncrawler can recite pi backwardsDungeoncrawler can recite pi backwardsDungeoncrawler can recite pi backwardsDungeoncrawler can recite pi backwardsDungeoncrawler can recite pi backwardsDungeoncrawler can recite pi backwards

Default Intel 6 Series Chipset Bug

Quote:
Intel has announced that it has identified a chipset design error which affects its latest P67/H67 chipset motherboards.
Quote:
In some cases, the Serial-ATA (SATA) ports within the chipsets may degrade over time, potentially impacting the performance or functionality of SATA-linked devices such as hard disk drives and DVD-drives. The chipset is utilized in PCs with Intel's latest Second Generation Intel Core processors, code-named Sandy Bridge.
Quote:
Intel has issued a recall - contact your retailer or Intel to get a replacement motherboard. If shopping for a new Sandy Bridge-based system, wait for the new replacement motherboards to reach the market starting in late February.
http://tweakguides.com/
http://newsroom.intel.com/community/...nting-solution

Last edited by Dungeoncrawler : Feb 1, 2011 at 01:51 AM.
Dungeoncrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 1, 2011, 01:52 AM   #2
Sasquach
2/10 will not bang

Sasquach kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshSasquach kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshSasquach kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshSasquach kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshSasquach kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshSasquach kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshSasquach kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshSasquach kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshSasquach kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshSasquach kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh

OFN!!!!

yes you are late on this one.
AMD Ryzen 5 2600X @ 3.6ghz
Asus Prime B450M A/CSM
2 x 8GB G-Skill DDR4 2666
Dell E2210 (22" widescreen) monitor + Asus Dual Radeon RX 6600
Seagate Barracuda 500gb 7200.12 SATA
Seagate Barracuda 2TB SATA
Sennheiser PC350 Xense edition headset
Sasquach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 1, 2011, 01:57 AM   #3
Dungeoncrawler
Radeon Arctic Islands

Dungeoncrawler can recite pi backwardsDungeoncrawler can recite pi backwardsDungeoncrawler can recite pi backwardsDungeoncrawler can recite pi backwardsDungeoncrawler can recite pi backwardsDungeoncrawler can recite pi backwardsDungeoncrawler can recite pi backwards

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sasquach View Post
OFN!!!!

yes you are late on this one.
That's okay; I did check the forum but neglected to read the front page. Can a mod please lock/delete this one plz? Thanks Sas and sorry for the confusion.

edit - if you will delete your reply I'll zap the whole thing
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Feb 1, 2011, 01:59 AM   #4
Sasquach
2/10 will not bang

Sasquach kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshSasquach kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshSasquach kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshSasquach kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshSasquach kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshSasquach kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshSasquach kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshSasquach kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshSasquach kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshSasquach kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh

well to be fair there isnt really a sticky with this info on (and half the users here probably dont check the main page anyways)

and whatever is being discussed is buried in those various sandy bridge mobo threads.
Asus Prime B450M A/CSM
Old Feb 1, 2011, 02:04 AM   #5
Dungeoncrawler
Radeon Arctic Islands

Quote:
well to be fair there isnt really a sticky with this info on (and half the users here probably dont check the main page anyways)

and whatever is being discussed is buried in those various sandy bridge mobo threads.
; I certainly have sympathy for the early purchaser's
Old Feb 1, 2011, 09:00 AM   #6
Razeus
Radeon Arctic Islands

Razeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single bound

This is why you wait 1 month before buying new tech. Period.
Razeus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 1, 2011, 09:35 AM   #7
Qb2k5
Alienware Certified

Qb2k5 is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razeus View Post
This is why you wait 1 month before buying new tech. Period.
I usually wait six months.
Qb2k5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 1, 2011, 01:01 PM   #8
DorXtar
SMILE!

DorXtar can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyDorXtar can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qb2k5 View Post
I usually wait six months.
I just don't buy intel. /thread
2 Peter 3:3) For YOU know this first, that in the last days there will come ridiculers with their ridicule, proceeding according to their own desires 4) and saying: “Where is this promised presence of his? Why, from the day our forefathers fell asleep [in death], all things are continuing exactly as from creation’s beginning.” 5) For, according to their wish, this fact escapes their notice [...]

8) However, let this one fact not be escaping YOUR notice, beloved ones, that one day is with Jehovah as a thousand years and a thousand years as one day. 9) Jehovah is not slow respecting his promise, as some people consider slowness, but he is patient with YOU because he does not desire any to be destroyed but desires all to attain to repentance.
Like 12Bass says, critical thinking and the scientific method are probably the best tools we have to avoid it. (bias)

However, this method relies on repeatable, falsifiable hypotheses and theories. Only an extremely small spectrum of time and space can be rendered into these, or at least a good approximation of such.

-RFtinkerer

“The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge.” ― Daniel J. Boorstin
DorXtar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 1, 2011, 08:27 PM   #9
theshadowcult
Radeon Arctic Islands

theshadowcult doesn't need no stinkin' badgestheshadowcult doesn't need no stinkin' badgestheshadowcult doesn't need no stinkin' badgestheshadowcult doesn't need no stinkin' badgestheshadowcult doesn't need no stinkin' badgestheshadowcult doesn't need no stinkin' badgestheshadowcult doesn't need no stinkin' badgestheshadowcult doesn't need no stinkin' badges

How do i know if my board is 6 series?

Is the DP55KG a 6 series board?
Old Feb 1, 2011, 09:00 PM   #10
ShaidarHaran
Radeon Arctic Islands

ShaidarHaran once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'ShaidarHaran once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'ShaidarHaran once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'ShaidarHaran once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'ShaidarHaran once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'ShaidarHaran once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

Quote:
Originally Posted by theshadowcult View Post
How do i know if my board is 6 series?

Is the DP55KG a 6 series board?
The series refers to the first digit in the name, in your case you have a 5 series chipset-powered board.
ShaidarHaran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 1, 2011, 09:35 PM   #11
Bires
50 lb lap dog ;)

Bires once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Bires once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Bires once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Bires once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Bires once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Bires once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

I still LOVE my Sandy. 4.5GHz at 63C on air? Puhleeze!

Also, I just got an email from newegg that basically said swap your SATA ports to 1,2,7,8, your return/replacement coverage was extended as long as you want, and we'll email you when the replacements come in.
My computer? I've put its specs in the box to the left.
There are many people on the Rage3D forums.
They're very proud of their computers.
Bires is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 1, 2011, 10:44 PM   #12
moshpit
Resident Mac Hater

moshpit once held a door open for a complete strangermoshpit once held a door open for a complete strangermoshpit once held a door open for a complete strangermoshpit once held a door open for a complete stranger

Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bires View Post
I still LOVE my Sandy. 4.5GHz at 63C on air? Puhleeze!

Also, I just got an email from newegg that basically said swap your SATA ports to 1,2,7,8, your return/replacement coverage was extended as long as you want, and we'll email you when the replacements come in.
Yup, got the same email. Good to know that the Egg won't leave this on Asus to handle replacing it if I don't want to go that route. But I'm still waiting to see if Asus makes any kind of sweet offer like the upgrade to Z68 thingy. I'd be all over that like white on white rice.
Old Feb 1, 2011, 11:07 PM   #13
theshadowcult
Radeon Arctic Islands

theshadowcult doesn't need no stinkin' badgestheshadowcult doesn't need no stinkin' badgestheshadowcult doesn't need no stinkin' badgestheshadowcult doesn't need no stinkin' badgestheshadowcult doesn't need no stinkin' badgestheshadowcult doesn't need no stinkin' badgestheshadowcult doesn't need no stinkin' badgestheshadowcult doesn't need no stinkin' badges

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShaidarHaran View Post
The series refers to the first digit in the name, in your case you have a 5 series chipset-powered board.
sweet, i figured it would be something easy like that, thank you

Quote:
Originally Posted by moshpit View Post
Yup, got the same email. Good to know that the Egg won't leave this on Asus to handle replacing it if I don't want to go that route. But I'm still waiting to see if Asus makes any kind of sweet offer like the upgrade to Z68 thingy. I'd be all over that like white on white rice.
what if it's brown?
Old Feb 1, 2011, 11:46 PM   #14
Ristogod
Semper Vigilare

Ristogod once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Ristogod once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Ristogod once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Ristogod once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Ristogod once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Ristogod once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

http://www.anandtech.com/show/4146/g...cement-program

Giga-Byte announcing how they are handling this.

What's crazy is that you can get a refund for the board, which is reasonable to assume that you should. But it's not certain that you could get a refund on your processor. They are talking April/May on getting your system back up and running. So if you ditch your motherboard, what good is that CPU? And what do you use for you PC until then? What if you already sold your old gear? What if you get your refunds, do you buy X58 + LGA1366 CPU + Triple Channel memory?

This is really going to put some people in some god awful situations. I realize most people won't be in these types of scenarios, but for those that do, I really feel for them. Nothing like dropping large coin into something that doesn't return on investment.
Old Feb 2, 2011, 01:08 AM   #15
Sasquach
2/10 will not bang

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ristogod View Post
http://www.anandtech.com/show/4146/g...cement-program

Giga-Byte announcing how they are handling this.

What's crazy is that you can get a refund for the board, which is reasonable to assume that you should. But it's not certain that you could get a refund on your processor. They are talking April/May on getting your system back up and running. So if you ditch your motherboard, what good is that CPU? And what do you use for you PC until then? What if you already sold your old gear? What if you get your refunds, do you buy X58 + LGA1366 CPU + Triple Channel memory?

This is really going to put some people in some god awful situations. I realize most people won't be in these types of scenarios, but for those that do, I really feel for them. Nothing like dropping large coin into something that doesn't return on investment.
Well considering the nature of this bug is semi-long term, you're not gonna feel any immediate effects in the one or two months before the replacement comes out. So unless they want you to return the boards NOW, i'd just use it until the replacements are available, THEN exchange it.
Asus Prime B450M A/CSM
Old Feb 2, 2011, 08:42 AM   #16
Ristogod
Semper Vigilare

Ristogod once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Ristogod once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Ristogod once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Ristogod once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Ristogod once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Ristogod once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

Quote:
Well considering the nature of this bug is semi-long term, you're not gonna feel any immediate effects in the one or two months before the replacement comes out. So unless they want you to return the boards NOW, i'd just use it until the replacements are available, THEN exchange it.
Some may feel it necessary to refund now as they are using all the ports and don't want to compromise data integrity.

I suppose they could buy a PCI/PCI-E SATA/RAID controller card to keep using their mobo until replacements are available. But it's still a cost they wouldn't normally have to endure. Also, for many with RAID it would most likely mean the rebuilding of their array.

I'm just saying this this seemingly little issue really has some widespread effects and huge consequences.
Old Feb 2, 2011, 08:45 AM   #17
moshpit
Resident Mac Hater

moshpit once held a door open for a complete strangermoshpit once held a door open for a complete strangermoshpit once held a door open for a complete strangermoshpit once held a door open for a complete stranger

Subscriber

Quote:
Some may feel it necessary to refund now as they are using all the ports and don't want to compromise data integrity.

I suppose they could buy a PCI/PCI-E SATA/RAID controller card to keep using their mobo until replacements are available. But it's still a cost they wouldn't normally have to endure. Also, for many with RAID it would most likely mean the rebuilding of their array.

I'm just saying this this seemingly little issue really has some widespread effects and huge consequences.
I do feel worse for those folks. For most of us, it was a simple matter. For a few though, it's much more painful.
Old Feb 2, 2011, 09:28 AM   #18
Hapatingjaky
Maximum Disappointment

Hapatingjaky can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundHapatingjaky can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundHapatingjaky can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundHapatingjaky can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundHapatingjaky can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundHapatingjaky can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundHapatingjaky can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundHapatingjaky can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundHapatingjaky can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundHapatingjaky can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundHapatingjaky can leap small-ish buildings in a single bound

Quote:

Puchasing a PCI/PCIE Sata/Raid contoller card will not be in the cards for some due to the fact like me, dual 480's and a Creative XFI PCI-E card and depending on others setup you wouldn't have the room.
Intel Core i9 10900K @ 5.2GHz, Asus Maximus XII Apex, GSkill Trident-Z Royal DDR4 3200MHz 32GB CAS11, Asus Strix 3080Ti OC, Creative Labs SXFI Theater, Samsung 970 Evo Plus 1TB, Corsair AXI 1500i PSU, ThermalTake View 71, Corsair K95 Platinum RGB, Corsair Dark Core RGB SE, Acer Predator X34, Windows 10 Professional X64
Hapatingjaky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 2, 2011, 10:45 AM   #19
caveman-jim
Deposed King of Rage3D

caveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badges

If you're using Intel's Matrix RAID then there isn't a card you can buy to replace the functionality and import the array.
caveman-jim is offline   Reply With Quote