Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Gaming and Computing Forums » Smartphones, Tablets and Handheld Computing
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Smartphones, Tablets and Handheld Computing From Android, Symbian to Apple devices, this is the place for discussion and debate, whether it's smartphones, tablets or even gaming handhelds.

Old Nov 26, 2011, 10:03 PM   #1
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
Mahjik
Motoring Goodness

Mahjik doesn't need no stinkin' badgesMahjik doesn't need no stinkin' badgesMahjik doesn't need no stinkin' badgesMahjik doesn't need no stinkin' badgesMahjik doesn't need no stinkin' badgesMahjik doesn't need no stinkin' badgesMahjik doesn't need no stinkin' badgesMahjik doesn't need no stinkin' badgesMahjik doesn't need no stinkin' badges

Default What you use your tablet for?

My father purchased a Xoom over the summer as he had seen mine. He came over one Sunday evening to drop off his laptop for me fix. When he came by, I was upstairs watching a live stream of the Sunday evening NFL game on my Xoom since my daughter was watching her Disney kiddie soap operas on the TV. My dad exclaimed "I didn't know you could do that" when he saw the game. He's said that a few times when he's come over and I'm using the tablet. I'm not shocked because he bought "because it was neat" rather than him having a real use for it, but I'm curious what people are doing with their tablets. So post up, what do you do with your tablet (please, no Android/iOS bickering )?
Mahjik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 26, 2011, 11:33 PM   #2
jimmt
Trumpification

jimmt knows why the caged bird singsjimmt knows why the caged bird singsjimmt knows why the caged bird singsjimmt knows why the caged bird singsjimmt knows why the caged bird sings

Web browsing, media consumption, e-reader (majority of my usage), virtual amp/guitar modulator, gaming, work, heck everything
Dell Inspiron 7577 | Intel i7-7700HQ |16GB DDR 4 DRAM 2400 |Nvidia 1060 6GB |3TB NVMe/SDD |Fedora 35
VR
Oculus Quest 2 / PSVR
Consoles
SteamDeck|Switch|WiiU|Wii|Gamecube|New 3DS XL|DS|GBA|N64|SNES|NES|XBOX|XBOX360|XBOXSeries|PS1|PS2|PS3|PS4|Vita|PSP|DreamCast|Saturn|Genesis
Classical Liberalism: A political ideology and a branch of liberalism which advocates civil liberties, private property, and political freedom with representative democracy under the rule of law. Strong emphasizes economic freedom and the individual over the collective.
jimmt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 2011, 07:38 AM   #3
Zero
Sass hole

Zero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English Channel

^Ditto minus the music stuff

please refrain from telling other forum members to "Go eat a buffet of dicks." in the future.

Thank you.

Regards,
mad"
Zero is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Nov 27, 2011, 09:44 AM   #4
t0adp1p3
Radeon Arctic Islands

t0adp1p3 kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresht0adp1p3 kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresht0adp1p3 kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresht0adp1p3 kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresht0adp1p3 kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresht0adp1p3 kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresht0adp1p3 kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresht0adp1p3 kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresht0adp1p3 kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresht0adp1p3 kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh

Gaming, watching movies, and web browsing. Have never used it to read a book.
t0adp1p3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 2011, 10:02 AM   #5
Mahjik
Motoring Goodness

Mahjik doesn't need no stinkin' badgesMahjik doesn't need no stinkin' badgesMahjik doesn't need no stinkin' badgesMahjik doesn't need no stinkin' badgesMahjik doesn't need no stinkin' badgesMahjik doesn't need no stinkin' badgesMahjik doesn't need no stinkin' badgesMahjik doesn't need no stinkin' badgesMahjik doesn't need no stinkin' badges

• Streaming European Motorsport races. Most of the racing divisions overseas are not carried by US cable channels. I don't have to be tied to my computer desk during the races which is nice.
  • Streaming NFL games when the TV is unavailable.
  • Watching movies on trips (the biggest reason for the purchase). I don't buy movies through the Market, they are just rips from my own collection.
  • Reading eMagazines, second reason I bought it for.. I don't do book reading. I have to do enough reading for work (regulations, specifications, etc) that I can't stay focused long enough to complete books.
  • Math programs for my daughter
  • Homework for my daughter. Their school uses a website for some of their work. My daughter finds it fun to use the tablet for the work rather than a PC. Anything that gets her excited about homework, I'm all for!
  • Light gaming, more just time killing.
  • Light web browsing, same as above, more just time killing. Mostly used when my daughter is playing outside with her friends and I need to keep an eye on them.
  • Cooking recipes (handy so I don't have to print it on paper then go to the kitchen)
  • Biggest use: Something to keep my wife and daughter from fighting over my wife's PC.
Mahjik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 2011, 10:12 AM   #6
Elysian
SCAATSJW

Elysian has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationElysian has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationElysian has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationElysian has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationElysian has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationElysian has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationElysian has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationElysian has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationElysian has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationElysian has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationElysian has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of Reputation

Web browsing, watching hockey when I'm not near a tv, gaming, music, NetFlix, etc.
Elysian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 2011, 10:38 AM   #7
Thr0tt
Radeon Arctic Islands

Thr0tt can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyThr0tt can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyThr0tt can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Web browsing, music and movies.
Old Nov 27, 2011, 11:41 AM   #8
Jamar
Pew Pew Pew

Jamar can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyJamar can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Web browsing, gaming, media, Fantasy Football, etc.
Jamar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 2011, 01:30 PM   #9
**G.I.BRO**
Berwip crawna-wi pinibon

**G.I.BRO** has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of Reputation**G.I.BRO** has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of Reputation**G.I.BRO** has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of Reputation**G.I.BRO** has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of Reputation**G.I.BRO** has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of Reputation**G.I.BRO** has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of Reputation**G.I.BRO** has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of Reputation**G.I.BRO** has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of Reputation**G.I.BRO** has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of Reputation**G.I.BRO** has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of Reputation**G.I.BRO** has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of Reputation

Web browsing
Stream music
Photo viewer
Work documents & remote
Mild gaming

... basically its just a helpful tool to help extend my light daily routines away from my usual chair.

Last edited by **G.I.BRO** : Nov 28, 2011 at 05:37 PM.
**G.I.BRO** is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2011, 01:55 PM   #10
Razeus
Radeon Arctic Islands

Razeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single bound

Everything I would use my iMac for except photoshop and Lightroom.
Razeus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2011, 04:07 PM   #11
Ego
I can't take this

Ego can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyEgo can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Semi-productivity tool here: mostly work related e-mails, web browsing, and that's about it. Doesn't sound like much, but it's really useful for these 2 tasks.
I've used it extensively as a photo showing device...thing. I got married relatively recently, and everyone wanted to see pictures, and the tablet was perfect for the task when visiting friends and family, not to mention everyone loved the quality of the IPS screen
The HDMI out feature was also used extensively.
Ego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2011, 05:39 PM   #12
**G.I.BRO**
Berwip crawna-wi pinibon

**G.I.BRO** has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of Reputation**G.I.BRO** has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of Reputation**G.I.BRO** has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of Reputation**G.I.BRO** has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of Reputation**G.I.BRO** has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of Reputation**G.I.BRO** has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of Reputation**G.I.BRO** has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of Reputation**G.I.BRO** has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of Reputation**G.I.BRO** has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of Reputation**G.I.BRO** has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of Reputation**G.I.BRO** has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of Reputation

Yup, its a great tool for portfolios and having hdmi out is fantastic. One of my biggest PRO's for me.
**G.I.BRO** is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2011, 05:44 PM   #13
LimeyGeeza
Radeon Volcanic Islands

LimeyGeeza once held a door open for a complete strangerLimeyGeeza once held a door open for a complete strangerLimeyGeeza once held a door open for a complete strangerLimeyGeeza once held a door open for a complete stranger

Pooping!
LimeyGeeza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2011, 06:02 PM   #14
DigitalDemon
Flaccid Flexor

DigitalDemon can recite pi backwardsDigitalDemon can recite pi backwardsDigitalDemon can recite pi backwardsDigitalDemon can recite pi backwardsDigitalDemon can recite pi backwardsDigitalDemon can recite pi backwardsDigitalDemon can recite pi backwards

• Quick web browsing
  • Goodreader (SSH2 server file transfers, document reading)
  • Remote Desktop (Splashtop remote over VPN)
  • FedEx package tracking
  • 2Do calendaring
  • Facebook stalking
  • Netflix and apple trailers watching
  • Onkyo receiver remote
  • Wifi port scanning
  • Simple document creation
DigitalDemon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2011, 09:10 PM   #15
Nevermind
Rage3D Veteran

Nevermind is still being judged by the masses

I used mine mostly for quick web browsing and watching abc(aus) iView. The iPad2 lives down the side of the couch so its handy to grab compared to the laptop and is always on.

EDIT: My gf uses it for work emails and facebook as well.
Nevermind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29, 2011, 10:12 AM   #16
vitocorleone
Radeon Arctic Islands

vitocorleone is still being judged by the masses

Web browser
Cooking software (ipad2 lives in the kitchen)
Misc stuff for kids sometimes

Basically it's still overkill for what we wanted or needed but it's a lot more compact than the laptop we were using for the same. Definitely don't NEED a tablet and I could still live without one. I'd probably fiddle with more stuff if it wasn't shared, but we can't afford more than one $500 recipe storing web browser.
Old Nov 29, 2011, 03:37 PM   #17
MadMartigan
Radeon Southern Islands

MadMartigan is still being judged by the masses

I got a convertible Windows notebook, because I just couldn't find any real use for a slate device.
When I tablet mode I use it for:

Ocassional web browsing
comic book reading
editing my writting work
playing adventure games
reading pdf manuals
A scarab is captured; ink is released.
Life is taken; and Age is given

D`ni
MadMartigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29, 2011, 03:45 PM   #18
t0adp1p3
Radeon Arctic Islands

t0adp1p3 kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresht0adp1p3 kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresht0adp1p3 kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresht0adp1p3 kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresht0adp1p3 kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresht0adp1p3 kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresht0adp1p3 kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresht0adp1p3 kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresht0adp1p3 kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresht0adp1p3 kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadMartigan View Post
I got a convertible Windows notebook, because I just couldn't find any real use for a slate device.
When I tablet mode I use it for:

Ocassional web browsing
comic book reading
editing my writting work
playing adventure games
reading pdf manuals
Might want to spend more time editing your
"writting" work there bro :P
t0adp1p3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29, 2011, 10:57 PM   #19
Ciera
Bueno

Ciera is still being judged by the masses

ipad1 owner here (bought launch day). reading comics and pdf files mostly. use it for couch surfing too. also use it as a remote to control media player classic on my htpc. occasionally use it for remote desktop and logging into my router. all other times my tablet runs plugged in as a digital clock and alarm. although ipad2 and other dual core tablets look alluring imma hold off until either tablets come out better with resolution (hurr) or apple's quad core offering comes out.
Ciera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30, 2011, 05:38 AM   #20
Apocalypsee
Radeon Volcanic Islands

Apocalypsee has a basement full of buried neg-reppersApocalypsee has a basement full of buried neg-reppersApocalypsee has a basement full of buried neg-reppersApocalypsee has a basement full of buried neg-reppersApocalypsee has a basement full of buried neg-reppersApocalypsee has a basement full of buried neg-reppersApocalypsee has a basement full of buried neg-reppersApocalypsee has a basement full of buried neg-reppersApocalypsee has a basement full of buried neg-reppersApocalypsee has a basement full of buried neg-reppersApocalypsee has a basement full of buried neg-reppers

I'm using my tablet mostly for late night web browsing, reading comic or watching some video before went to sleep, on my bed. Having laptop on the bed is annoying, heavy, hot and quite noisy in the quiet environment.

Other than that it is used to view documents and slides when in classes. Most of learning sources are in software/softcopy nowadays so having tablet is good, without the need to print all of the slides and materials.

I do some games too, but since my tablet is quite limited in terms of processing power I don't use it often. It indeed could run Dungeon Defender quite well but tablet for me is too big for gaming, my hand gets numb after some time, so all gaming duty is on my phone
If 3 fans left the station at 10:30am cooling at a temp of 63c and one fan was derailed by a stray sata cable on the track, how long would it take all 3 fans to get on Seyiji's last nerve?

(a) Mmmm donuts
(b) 70c
(c) Hey there muscly arms, why the long face?
(d) Must use fire.
Apocalypsee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30, 2011, 09:57 AM   #21
MadMartigan
Radeon Southern Islands

MadMartigan is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
Originally Posted by t0adp1p3 View Post
Might want to spend more time editing your
"writting" work there bro :P
Don't worry. I make my living writing in my native language, which is polish
A scarab is captured; ink is released.
Life is taken; and Age is given

D`ni
MadMartigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30, 2011, 02:01 PM   #22
Snarl
Radeon R420

Snarl is still being judged by the masses

Watching some Movies/TV (Net Flix)
Reading (Sony Reader/Marvel Comics)
Browsing also some DNLA Browsing on my TV
Light Gaming
Remote for my Home Theater
Music Player (32GB SD Card full of MP3's) Plugged into my AMPs

Only had one a short while and finding more uses for it, I used to laugh at these things

Another Guy From Canada
Snarl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30, 2011, 02:36 PM   #23
Hidavi
I'm Way Up

Hidavi can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyHidavi can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyHidavi can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

I plan to use mine mostly when I'm in bed or taking a dump
Hidavi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30, 2011, 06:17 PM   #24
jimmt
Trumpification

jimmt knows why the caged bird singsjimmt knows why the caged bird singsjimmt knows why the caged bird singsjimmt knows why the caged bird singsjimmt knows why the caged bird sings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hidavi View Post
I plan to use mine mostly when I'm in bed or taking a dump
I laugh because its so true. It is very good for the throne sitting.
Dell Inspiron 7577 | Intel i7-7700HQ |16GB DDR 4 DRAM 2400 |Nvidia 1060 6GB |3TB NVMe/SDD |Fedora 35
VR
Oculus Quest 2 / PSVR
Consoles
SteamDeck|Switch|WiiU|Wii|Gamecube|New 3DS XL|DS|GBA|N64|SNES|NES|XBOX|XBOX360|XBOXSeries|PS1|PS2|PS3|PS4|Vita|PSP|DreamCast|Saturn|Genesis
Classical Liberalism: A political ideology and a branch of liberalism which advocates civil liberties, private property, and political freedom with representative democracy under the rule of law. Strong emphasizes economic freedom and the individual over the collective.
jimmt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30, 2011, 09:44 PM   #25
Jamar
Pew Pew Pew

Jamar can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyJamar can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmt View Post
I laugh because its so true. It is very good for the throne sitting.
Jamar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 1, 2011, 02:10 AM   #26
EmilyWatson

I have got this Android Honey Comb tablet.I use it to be online anytime as i am really addicted to social networking sites.